Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #8251 of 9658 Old 02-02-2012, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello ,

I have a velodyne DPS sub woofer, and when i connect it to my AV receiver it has a loud humming sound, no humm until i connect it to the sub.......any one have any ideas???

tried switching cables same problem.....also if i just connect the cable to the sub only a softer humming is heard ....then when i touch the back of the sub the humming grows fainter in sound.......love the sub but need some proffesional help i am frustrated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8252 of 9658 Old 02-09-2012, 05:34 AM

Hi, I have a DD12 subwoofer, and want to remote control it with iRule, by connecting an iTach to the external remote input on the DD, but does any of you know if the DD require 12volt input signal?
If so, I need to buy a GC-CGX cable from Global Cache.
:-)

kindly
Jan
post #8253 of 9658 Old 02-10-2012, 04:41 PM

I've been trying to find the right sub for my large living room. It's about 14 by 22, with open archways to the kitchen and the hall. The first sub I tried was a JBL ES250 12-inch sub, which had a lot of impact but was physically bigger than I was hoping for. I then tried a few different Velodyne subs - first the Impact 10, which I didn't like, the DLS3750, which was a lot better, but I didn't care for the looks or the size. Right now I'm trying a combination of a DEQ8-r, which I can fit behind my TV (it's in the corner of the room) and an Impact Mini, which I'm using as a second sub, about 8 feet from the corner of the room where the TV is. The Impact Mini, by itself, didn't cut it, but when used as a second sub with the DEQ8, it adds punch and fills out the room a bit. This combo still doesn't give me the deep presense of the JBL, but it's a decent combo.

Here's my dilema: while I got a great price on both units (I think) - the DEQ 8 for $279 direct from Velodyne and the Impact Mini from Fry's (last one) for $299 plus tax ($336), that brings me up to over $600 for an 8-inch and a 6.5 inch sub, while my initial budget was $200-$300!!

I'm wondering: am I better off spending $600 - or less - on something else entirely or will I get more bang for my buck with two small subs to fill out my room, rather than one higher-end sub? Again, I'd really prefer a sub with a small footprint. Ideally, I'd like to try the Mini-Vee 8-inch or 10-inch, but they are $799 and $999, making them both out of the question.

So here are my options with the subs I'm currently trying:

1 - just use the 12-inch JBL ($179 Amazon Lightening Deal price) and live with it's size and ugly shape

2 - Keep the DEQ8 and the Impact Mini ($600+) and bite the bullet on the $

3 - start over and go in a different direction

I'd greatly appreciate as much feedback as posssibe, as I have to make up my mind on the units I currently have in less than a week.

Many thanks!
post #8254 of 9658 Old 02-10-2012, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsulmeyer View Post

I've been trying to find the right sub for my large living room. It's about 14 by 22, with open archways to the kitchen and the hall. The first sub I tried was a JBL ES250 12-inch sub, which had a lot of impact but was physically bigger than I was hoping for. I then tried a few different Velodyne subs - first the Impact 10, which I didn't like, the DLS3750, which was a lot better, but I didn't care for the looks or the size. Right now I'm trying a combination of a DEQ8-r, which I can fit behind my TV (it's in the corner of the room) and an Impact Mini, which I'm using as a second sub, about 8 feet from the corner of the room where the TV is. The Impact Mini, by itself, didn't cut it, but when used as a second sub with the DEQ8, it adds punch and fills out the room a bit. This combo still doesn't give me the deep presense of the JBL, but it's a decent combo.

Here's my dilema: while I got a great price on both units (I think) - the DEQ 8 for $279 direct from Velodyne and the Impact Mini from Fry's (last one) for $299 plus tax ($336), that brings me up to over $600 for an 8-inch and a 6.5 inch sub, while my initial budget was $200-$300!!

I'm wondering: am I better off spending $600 - or less - on something else entirely or will I get more bang for my buck with two small subs to fill out my room, rather than one higher-end sub? Again, I'd really prefer a sub with a small footprint. Ideally, I'd like to try the Mini-Vee 8-inch or 10-inch, but they are $799 and $999, making them both out of the question.

So here are my options with the subs I'm currently trying:

1 - just use the 12-inch JBL ($179 Amazon Lightening Deal price) and live with it's size and ugly shape

2 - Keep the DEQ8 and the Impact Mini ($600+) and bite the bullet on the $

3 - start over and go in a different direction

I'd greatly appreciate as much feedback as posssibe, as I have to make up my mind on the units I currently have in less than a week.

Many thanks!

The Optimum 8 is listed at $699 on Velodyne's site. Would probably be better than the two you have.

Other than that,if you need a small sub there is the SVS-SB12 $650, NHT 10d at $499, 12d $699, Emotiva X-ref subs at $500-$700.

You just have to give up some things for the small form factor.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #8255 of 9658 Old 02-11-2012, 08:19 PM

So I have a strange question... does anyone know what model Velodyne this is? The backplate calls it a "Model 1200" from "2-23-89" XD

It's old, I know that much. :P But I recently received it from my uncle for free. It was working fine, but after we moved it it now produces this loud hum whenever turned on (regardless of source). I spoke to a representative, and he sent me the schematics for the Servo 1200. Is that what this is? It looks different than the Servos I've seen.

I figure it's probably a cap or something that needs re-soldered. I haven't opened it up yet, waiting for my dad so he can't blame me for breaking it haha.

EDIT: More/higher res photos can be found here @ Photobucket.
post #8256 of 9658 Old 02-12-2012, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 158
I have 2 DD10s (2.2.0) that sound great, but here's the problem:

With music sources that don't have a .1 track the subs are very reluctant to turn on from Standby and often won't stay on. There's no problem with anything that has a .1 so what I'd do is flip to the cablebox input to jump start them. Then I got tired of that so I turned Standby to AutoON/OFF to Inactive and use the remote to turn each on.

1. I would like to trigger the subs with the 12v trigger from my AVR, as I do my external amp. But that connects using the standard mono miniplug cord. Is there a way to trigger each DD10? Perhaps there's a way to splice or adapt that cord to the RS 232 pins (I believe pins 7 & 9 trigger power?)

2. I currently have both subs set to Vol=8, as that is as hot as Audyssey wants them so that the don't play too much louder than 75dB with the built-in calibration test tone. As it is the sub ch trim in the AVR is -6.5! The next time I run a calibration I could turn each sub's vol control down by 2 dB to 6. That should increase the sub ch trim from the AVR from -6.5 to -4.5 and that may increase the signal enough to solve the problem.

3. I don't suppose leaving the subs ON all the time is a good solution at all. I'd be concerned about how much power a DD10 draws if idle but ON and if that will that decrease the life of the sub amp.

Gear details: sub outs 1 & 2 on my Denon AVR 4311(A100) are connected directly to the respective LFE input of each sub. Audyssey MultEQXT32 pings each sub for distance and volume. Audyssey then EQs the 2 subs together as one. I don't use the Velo EQ, I set the Low Pass to OFF and don't use the Velo daisy chain technique.

Any suggestions?

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #8257 of 9658 Old 02-12-2012, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdog2 View Post

Hello Steve
In most cases we repair the amp, are you in the states?

No, I'm in Australia. We talked on the phone and you indicated I would have to send the amps for the HGS10s in.

Is it possible to have them converted to 240V while you are repairing them?
post #8258 of 9658 Old 02-13-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

The Optimum 8 is listed at $699 on Velodyne's site. Would probably be better than the two you have.

Other than that,if you need a small sub there is the SVS-SB12 $650, NHT 10d at $499, 12d $699, Emotiva X-ref subs at $500-$700.

You just have to give up some things for the small form factor.

Thanks. I just picked up two open-boxed subs at Fry's to try - one is the Minivee 8 and the other is the Minivee 10. I definitely prefer the 10 - its just sounds cleaner and more musical than the 8. The Minivee 10 goes for $999 retail but I've seen it as low as $749 online (Vann's). At that price, am I better off with a Minivee 10 than the Optimum 8 for $699? I would imagine that the Optimum 8 is more flexible, with the eq, remote, etc., but wondering if it would it sound more like a Minivee 8 than a Minivee 10 (or better than either of those)...

Also, are places like Vann's or other 3rd party sellers ok? Would you stay away from eBay electronics stores? What about the one advertised at the top of this forum (audiophileliquidator.net)??

Thanks!!

John
post #8259 of 9658 Old 02-13-2012, 05:24 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

I have 2 DD10s (2.2.0) that sound great, but here's the problem:

With music sources that don't have a .1 track the subs are very reluctant to turn on from Standby and often won't stay on. There's no problem with anything that has a .1 so what I'd do is flip to the cablebox input to jump start them. Then I got tired of that so I turned Standby to AutoON/OFF to Inactive and use the remote to turn each on.

1. I would like to trigger the subs with the 12v trigger from my AVR, as I do my external amp. But that connects using the standard mono miniplug cord. Is there a way to trigger each DD10? Perhaps there's a way to splice or adapt that cord to the RS 232 pins (I believe pins 7 & 9 trigger power?)

2. I currently have both subs set to Vol=8, as that is as hot as Audyssey wants them so that the don't play too much louder than 75dB with the built-in calibration test tone. As it is the sub ch trim in the AVR is -6.5! The next time I run a calibration I could turn each sub's vol control down by 2 dB to 6. That should increase the sub ch trim from the AVR from -6.5 to -4.5 and that may increase the signal enough to solve the problem.

3. I don't suppose leaving the subs ON all the time is a good solution at all. I'd be concerned about how much power a DD10 draws if idle but ON and if that will that decrease the life of the sub amp.

Gear details: sub outs 1 & 2 on my Denon AVR 4311(A100) are connected directly to the respective LFE input of each sub. Audyssey MultEQXT32 pings each sub for distance and volume. Audyssey then EQs the 2 subs together as one. I don't use the Velo EQ, I set the Low Pass to OFF and don't use the Velo daisy chain technique.

Any suggestions?

If your mains are set to large by Aud. then the subs are not receiving a signal with music. Set them to small and set a crossover frequency. You should be able to get a 1/8" Y connector if that is not the case.
post #8260 of 9658 Old 02-13-2012, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDKing2 View Post

If your mains are set to large by Aud. then the subs are not receiving a signal with music. Set them to small and set a crossover frequency...

Astute observation but the subs are indeed getting redirected bass even with stereo 2.0 sources, as all speakers have been reset to Small. The FR/L have a crossover of 40Hz (which also contributes to the issue of insufficient bass TO TRIGGER THE SUB ON for 2.0). I use an Audyssey Pro kit and it ranked 40 as the best crossover irt the "splice" with the mains. Therefore I'm inquiring about solutions that do not entail raising the crossover to 80.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #8261 of 9658 Old 02-15-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnernorth View Post

Hi, I have a DD12 subwoofer, and want to remote control it with iRule, by connecting an iTach to the external remote input on the DD, but does any of you know if the DD require 12volt input signal?
If so, I need to buy a GC-CGX cable from Global Cache.

sending PM

Thanks,
Pete Lewis
Customer Service Representative
Velodyne Acoustics Inc
345 Digital Drive
Morgan Hill Ca 95037
Phone (408) 465-2851
Fax (408) 779-9208
post #8262 of 9658 Old 02-15-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the72fins View Post
Hello ,

I have a velodyne DPS sub woofer, and when i connect it to my AV receiver it has a loud humming sound, no humm until i connect it to the sub.......any one have any ideas???

tried switching cables same problem.....also if i just connect the cable to the sub only a softer humming is heard ....then when i touch the back of the sub the humming grows fainter in sound.......love the sub but need some proffesional help i am frustrated
Hello
In most cases the source of the problem that you are describing(humming no bass output.) will be found in the amplifier section (the back panel.) in which you can remove from the cabinet and send it into us for repair
please fill out & return the attached RMA request form so we may get the repair process started for you.

RMA_Form_Nov_05[1].doc 8.314453125k . file

Thanks,
Pete Lewis
Velodyne Acoustics Inc
345 Digital Drive
Morgan Hill Ca 95037
Phone (408) 465-2851
Fax (408) 779-9208
post #8263 of 9658 Old 02-16-2012, 03:08 AM

Just a quick quest, when I use the mic provided with my DD12, should the mic point upwards to the ceiling, or towards the subwoofer? - in my manual it only says, "place the mic in Your favorite listening place"

kindly
Jan
post #8264 of 9658 Old 02-16-2012, 06:30 PM

I called and spoke with Jeff today who tried to help me out. I have a SPL Series II 10'' and it makes a terrible scratching noise when it receives any audio signal (through LFE, or speaker line) Jeff thought it might be the driver and recommended that I remove the amp and power it normally. I did so and it works great.

Can you guys do a diagnostic on this one, or do you just recommend a replacement? I'm hoping it isn't too expensive. The driver was $300 plus shipping, but I was never able to get back through the phone later to find out about the amp.

Thanks!

EDIT: Nothing looks blown on the amp either. I did a pretty thorough check, no leaky capacitors, nothing popped, no liquid on the board, etc.

Would love to work with you guys to get this subwoofer up and running...

looked briefly and this is all I could find, assuming this is nearly identical? (http://reconingspeakers.com/products...vee-amplifier/)
post #8265 of 9658 Old 02-17-2012, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTactics View Post

I called and spoke with Jeff today who tried to help me out. I have a SPL Series II 10'' and it makes a terrible scratching noise when it receives any audio signal (through LFE, or speaker line) Jeff thought it might be the driver and recommended that I remove the amp and power it normally. I did so and it works great.

Can you guys do a diagnostic on this one, or do you just recommend a replacement? I'm hoping it isn't too expensive. The driver was $300 plus shipping, but I was never able to get back through the phone later to find out about the amp.

Thanks!

EDIT: Nothing looks blown on the amp either. I did a pretty thorough check, no leaky capacitors, nothing popped, no liquid on the board, etc.

Would love to work with you guys to get this subwoofer up and running...

looked briefly and this is all I could find, assuming this is nearly identical? (http://reconingspeakers.com/products...vee-amplifier/)

That's a problem in the amplifier. You have to ship it back to them and they'll repair it for $240.
post #8266 of 9658 Old 02-17-2012, 04:53 PM

Yup! Got the RMA today, and should be good to go!
post #8267 of 9658 Old 02-17-2012, 11:57 PM

Any new bass management system release on future ??
post #8268 of 9658 Old 02-18-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenfall928 View Post

So I have a strange question... does anyone know what model Velodyne this is? The backplate calls it a "Model 1200" from "2-23-89" XD

It's old, I know that much. :P But I recently received it from my uncle for free. It was working fine, but after we moved it it now produces this loud hum whenever turned on (regardless of source). I spoke to a representative, and he sent me the schematics for the Servo 1200. Is that what this is? It looks different than the Servos I've seen.

I figure it's probably a cap or something that needs re-soldered. I haven't opened it up yet, waiting for my dad so he can't blame me for breaking it haha.

EDIT: More/higher res photos can be found here @ Photobucket.

Hello
Yes this is the servo 1200/ F1200
Thanks,
Pete Lewis
Velodyne Acoustics Inc
345 Digital Drive
Morgan Hill Ca 95037
Phone (408) 465-2851
Fax (408) 779-9208

Thanks,
Pete Lewis
Velodyne Acoustics Inc
345 Digital Drive
Morgan Hill Ca 95037
Phone (408) 465-2851
Fax (408) 779-9208
post #8269 of 9658 Old 02-19-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcobb View Post

Any new bass management system release on future ??

Hello
No, not at the present time.

Thanks,

Pete

Thanks,
Pete Lewis
Velodyne Acoustics Inc
345 Digital Drive
Morgan Hill Ca 95037
Phone (408) 465-2851
Fax (408) 779-9208
post #8270 of 9658 Old 02-19-2012, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quick vid of the little Velo pounding away. Such a clean sounding subwoofer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l73GT...54AUAAAAAAAAAA
post #8271 of 9658 Old 02-19-2012, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a defective DD-15 and looking for the service manual
have the ULD-15 / 18 service manual and it is not the same at all

Thanks
post #8272 of 9658 Old 02-19-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by informel View Post

I have a defective DD-15 and looking for the service manual
have the ULD-15 / 18 service manual and it is not the same at all

Thanks

Hello
We do not provide service manual for the DD series.
Unlike the ULD The DD series product line is still a current AMP design and one that is patented service by Velodyne and our authorized services center
What the problem with the unit ?

Thanks,
Pete Lewis
Velodyne Acoustics Inc
345 Digital Drive
Morgan Hill Ca 95037
Phone (408) 465-2851
Fax (408) 779-9208
post #8273 of 9658 Old 02-20-2012, 09:07 AM

Liked: 12
Have a 15x24 slab basement with 7ft drop ceiling (figure roughly 2500-2600 sf). Is the Opt10 enough? Is there any benefit to going to the Opt12? Use is mostly HT, although I just got Revel Salon 2 as L/R and they have good but not great bass, so i may consider using sub occasionally for music. Do not recommend DD series as I am maxed out financially on the Salon 2 purchase, lol! Thanks...
post #8274 of 9658 Old 02-20-2012, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
IMO, at a minimum you need the Optimum-12 (two would be better). The Optimum is a sealed box design, so less efficient than a bass reflex design. It does sound great and will work very well with your speakers.
Curt
post #8275 of 9658 Old 02-21-2012, 06:38 AM

Does anyone have feedback on the Impact 10. Does it handle movies well even though it only goes down to 32Hz (spec-wise). Is the bass tight & accurate? I've read that the VX-11 is louder, but boomy.

Thanks!
post #8276 of 9658 Old 02-23-2012, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkad View Post

Have a 15x24 slab basement with 7ft drop ceiling (figure roughly 2500-2600 sf). Is the Opt10 enough? Is there any benefit to going to the Opt12? Use is mostly HT, although I just got Revel Salon 2 as L/R and they have good but not great bass, so i may consider using sub occasionally for music. Do not recommend DD series as I am maxed out financially on the Salon 2 purchase, lol! Thanks...

I agree with Curt that a 12 inch Optimum would be better than the 10. With the 10 you are right on the edge of what it can do for theater reference output. The 12 would do a much better job of energizing the room. If you are looking to save some money, the Cherry finish is on closeout and this week there is an additional 15% off closeout items. This makes the 12 inch down right affordable.

When in comes to audio there are seldom right and wrong answers.  The opinions of "experts" are just that, and should be used as a suggestion only.  Remember at the end of the day it is your money, your system, and you will need to listen to it.
post #8277 of 9658 Old 02-23-2012, 07:53 AM

Liked: 12
Rob, just bought it yesterday. Have a question though. Will email you at Velodyne address
post #8278 of 9658 Old 02-24-2012, 03:04 AM

hello,

asked this in separate thread (with nor response :-) but then noticed this official Velodyne support thread so here it goes:

does the EQ-Max12 sub have the 110 volt / 220 volt input power switch?
EQ-Max15 seems to have it but is too big for my room. I am tempted to import Velodyne sub from US but would prefer not to use step up converter.

many thanks
post #8279 of 9658 Old 02-26-2012, 04:53 PM

Hello! I purchased 2 F-1500-b series subs brand new many years ago. Recently, within 60 days of each other, they both started making a horrible loud popping kind of sound and then produced a burning smell, and while they both still turn on, they don't really work and continue to make that sound (so of course I unplugged them as they failed). Can these be serviced still (I can pull out the amps), or can I install whatever part may be bad (I am good at electronics and would to just buy whatever component on the amp failed...I can certainly solder in the part)? I'm guessing this is a common problem since I bought them both brand new and they both did this within 60 days of each other. Thank you!
post #8280 of 9658 Old 02-26-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guess2good View Post

hello,

asked this in separate thread (with nor response :-) but then noticed this official Velodyne support thread so here it goes:

does the EQ-Max12 sub have the 110 volt / 220 volt input power switch?
EQ-Max15 seems to have it but is too big for my room. I am tempted to import Velodyne sub from US but would prefer not to use step up converter.

many thanks

Hello
All Velodyne products are now manufactured to be operated in the regions in which they were originally sold.

Thanks,
Pete Lewis
Velodyne Acoustics Inc
345 Digital Drive
Morgan Hill Ca 95037
Phone (408) 465-2851
Fax (408) 779-9208
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Velodyne Acoustics , Velodyne Impact 10 10 Subwoofer , Velodyne Wiconnect 10 Wireless Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 8 8 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 10 10 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 12 12 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 15 15 Subwoofer , Velodyne

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page