Advertisement

post #812 of 9855 Old 11-26-2004, 11:19 AM
hjw
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got the Electronics and Driver of our FRS-15 back from Velodyne repair a few weeks ago. Last night when I turned on the Sub, I got that constant popping sound again. After unplugging the Sub, disconnecting the input signal, and turning the Sub on and off a few times, the sub doesn't pop anymore, it just sits there with the driver moving in and out.

When Velodyne repair found no problem with the Electronics, I sent them the Driver. Excessive Hunting caused by an aged accelerometer was found, and the accelerometer was replaced.

I'm planning on calling Pete at Velodyne on Monday. Anyone out there experience a malfunction like mine? If so, what did the problem turn out to be?

Folks at Velodyne, what do you think? Are you familiar with problems of this nature? If so, would you please share your experience with your service department.

In fairness to the Velodyne service department, the problem started out being intermittent.

Thanks.
post #813 of 9855 Old 11-26-2004, 01:10 PM

Bruce

As per your previous suggestion a few months ago, I've run outputs from the DD 15 to my HGS 15.

The HGS 15 has the crossover disabled but it seldom triggers automatically unless the preamp output volume is very high whereas the DD15 switches on automatically at reasonable levels.

Is there any way of rectifying this anomaly?

Thanks

Darryl
post #814 of 9855 Old 11-27-2004, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by darrylp
Bruce

As per your previous suggestion a few months ago, I've run outputs from the DD 15 to my HGS 15.

The HGS 15 has the crossover disabled but it seldom triggers automatically unless the preamp output volume is very high whereas the DD15 switches on automatically at reasonable levels.

Is there any way of rectifying this anomaly?

Thanks

Darryl

Unfortunately the auto-on sensitivites between the two units are different. We purposely were able to use less signal to turn the DD back on since it is digital and therefore more precise.

What I would recommend is defeating the auto on for the HGS. At idle, it uses very, very little power. Let the DD auto off and on and leave it at that . Wish I had a better answer for you but this is at least one solution.

Hope this helps,
Bruce

Bruce Hall
Velodyne Acoustics
post #815 of 9855 Old 11-27-2004, 02:55 PM

Thanks very much Bruce

I assume it won't damage the amplifier if it's on 24/7?

Another question please:

As I've Def Techs 7000sc with their built in subs and all others speakers (except the center) being run as large, do I feed and process as a PLllx the signal from the DD15 when I'm equalizing the bass response utilizing the DD15?

Regards

Darryl
post #816 of 9855 Old 11-28-2004, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When i run the test tone on the DD15 on what seems like the lower frequencies, there seems to be a rattling and chuffing sound coming from my sub. Once it hits a higher frequency, maybe 40-50hz it seems to tighten up and sound ok. So my guess is at higher excursions is where i am hearing this problem. Anyone hear this or know what might cause it?

EDIT: Actually it doesnt seem like the noise is frequency dependent. When the tone starts there is this wobbling of the driver while the tone is created. Im ont sure what the noise is as the unit seems to be producing bass. ITs as if the driver inside is scraping against something.

Also, any of the servo settings sound the same.

John
post #817 of 9855 Old 11-28-2004, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
A short while ago i tried to explain to folks in this forum what happens to drivers at frequencies below 17Hz. you describe it perfectly. It is caused by the fact that at these frequencies, there is very little coupling" of the piston, the cone, to the air. You might hear this effect and you might not depending on the characteristics of the box or minutedifferences in crossover component values or a myriad of other things. My 18" does it below 17Hz.. Do not worry about it.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #818 of 9855 Old 11-28-2004, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by MrHifi
A short while ago i tried to explain to folks in this forum what happens to drivers at frequencies below 17Hz. you describe it perfectly. It is caused by the fact that at these frequencies, there is very little coupling" of the piston, the cone, to the air. You might hear this effect and you might not depending on the characteristics of the box or minutedifferences in crossover component values or a myriad of other things. My 18" does it below 17Hz.. Do not worry about it.

I can hear this scraping sound from 8ft at certain volumes (though based on your explanation volume probably shouldnt matter?), does that seem normal based on your experience? I must say, it doesnt sound 'right' to me but since the bass seems to be coming out normally, your explanation does make sense.

I almost wish the driver was busted because i could hear it during LOTR:ROTK during some scenes before and it was a little distracting.

Are there any tests you could recommend that i could run that would confirm proper subwoofer operation?

Thanks for your help.

John
post #819 of 9855 Old 11-29-2004, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

John.............

I have a DD-18 and as Art mentioned correctly there is poor "coupling" to the surrounding air. I do hear the typical, what I call "Speaker Cone Noise" until about 20Hz (may be at a higher frequency for the 15"). It is NOT any scraping or rubbing noise.

I have found a cabinet resonance noise at about 110Hz (and other frequencies) and am waiting for a response from Velodyne Tech. Support. It has been about a week with no word yet.

John
post #820 of 9855 Old 11-29-2004, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

John,
Just pick up the phone & call them.
They have historically been readily available & very helpful.
The only frustration I've had with them is getting a direct answer regarding discrete codes for the DD18 remote....
I have not noticed this in mine....yet.
Could it be because my room is 42' deep to rear wall?....maybe it would occur at a lower frequency?
post #821 of 9855 Old 11-29-2004, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by cajunlab
John,
Just pick up the phone & call them.
They have historically been readily available & very helpful.
The only frustration I've had with them is getting a direct answer regarding discrete codes for the DD18 remote....
I have not noticed this in mine....yet.
Could it be because my room is 42' deep to rear wall?....maybe it would occur at a lower frequency?

Yes i have spoken to them today regarding this and a resolution is underway. THey seem to think there is somethign wrong with the driver as well so its on its way. They were very helpful with this.

John
post #822 of 9855 Old 12-02-2004, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

post #823 of 9855 Old 12-02-2004, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by curt c
For discrete codes see link;

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...=subwoofer&fc=

Curt

Great news curt!

The author states that software 1.6 is required for these to work. When will this be made available?

John
post #824 of 9855 Old 12-02-2004, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

It seems I got the horse ahead of the cart.
1.6 will be up for download in less than two weeks.
Sorry bout that.
Curt
post #825 of 9855 Old 12-03-2004, 04:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just got my DD-18 yesterday !
I have never owned a Velodyne product up until now. It is a very impressive visual piece, and the fit & finnish of my gloss black unit are top-notch ! Nice packaging, complete accessories, etc ... just what one would expect out of a top-rated product/company.

Setup was extremely quick, and the user interface is very inituitive. My complements to the Velo engineers for keeping it simple, yet highly functional. Within 1/2 hour and basic fooling around, I had great sound when mating the DD-18 to my Waveform Mach 17 mains, crossed over at 60 Hz. There will surely be hours/days/weeks/months of fine-tuning, customizing, and of course happy listening. This is an exciting product no doubt !

Software FYI ...
There is only one EQ curve that you can define, and this is a global EQ curve that is then used by each of the 6 presets. Each preset will use that global EQ curve along with each preset's unique filter crossover frequency, slopes, relative volume, phase, subsonic filter, servo-feedback, and 1 extra EQ/Contour setting.

I had thought/hoped that each preset could have its own unique EQ curve, rather than rely on the global EQ curve ? Now one may ask why one would want/need that ability. There are scenarios that would/could benefit from it ... such as running multiple subs ( or not ), running the mains full-range ( or not ), etc. This is not really a big deal for me, but any thoughts on this ?

- Andy
post #826 of 9855 Old 12-03-2004, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Andy,
You're not the only one. Look for a future software update to provide separate EQ's. And I can't thank you enough for the kind words. You made my day, and weekend too.
Curt
post #827 of 9855 Old 12-04-2004, 11:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Curt, I am fortunate to start out with your top-dog ! ... well, 2nd top-dog after the 1812.

I look forward to a software update and continued discussion on this "revolutionary" product. Sure we can do it all separately with a few extra external parts, but this all-in-one tidy solution A) delivers B) shows great leadership & anticipation of future trends & consumers' desires.
OK, I'm done buttering you guys up

- Andy
post #828 of 9855 Old 12-07-2004, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Curt, I spent some time over the weekend integrating all the new commands into my pronto remote and just wanted to commend Velodyne for really going above and beyond on this. The sheer number and flexibiility of the discreets is really amazing. Offering these features is one thing and being able to easily integrate them into an automated system is something else and velodyne now, imo, has the most flexible, powerful, sub system out there. Thanks again for delivering on this.

John
post #829 of 9855 Old 12-07-2004, 07:40 AM

Quote:
" . . .spent some time over the weekend integrating all the new commands into my pronto remote and just wanted to commend Velodyne for really going above and beyond on this. The sheer number and flexibility of the discreets is really amazing. . . "

Where do I find these "new commands"? I want to improve the programing of my Home Theater Master MX-3000 to control my dual DD-15's.

I did not find any new software updates on the Velodyne software update page except Update v1.5 released way back in May.

How do I get the "new commands"?

Thanks,

Chris Cargen
post #830 of 9855 Old 12-07-2004, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

and approximately when is the BIG UPDATE scheduled to be released?
post #831 of 9855 Old 12-09-2004, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi All,
Here's the link for the 1.6 software update;
http://www.velodyne.com/velodyne/sup...x?sid=390g601j
Curt
post #832 of 9855 Old 12-09-2004, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Curt,

Nice update, but I was under the impression that there was something BIGGER planned. Was I incorrect?

thanks
post #833 of 9855 Old 12-10-2004, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Randy,
The "Big One" should be first quarter of next year.
Curt
post #834 of 9855 Old 12-10-2004, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

now THAT's what I be talkin' bout.

thanks, Curt.

Ran
post #835 of 9855 Old 12-12-2004, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

I have a 2 sub set up. My mains can go really low. My question is if is better to set the speakers as large in my receiver, connect my receiver to the speaker level inputs of one of my subs, set the high-pass crossover to 80hz in the sub, then connect my mains to the speaker outs in the sub, and finaly connect my other sub to the sub out of the receiver. (this is to get the most of my mains, I feel that i'm loosing some of their performance by setting them as small in my receiver. This way the mains would be playing down to 80hz.)

Or is just better to use a Y cable and connect both subs to the sub out of my receiver.

Thanks.

360 gamertag------>Perpetual
PSN------->Perpetual1
post #836 of 9855 Old 12-12-2004, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Use your receiver's sub out. The speaker level path is infinitely noisier. Depending on how low your mains go, I'd use large if possible.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #837 of 9855 Old 12-12-2004, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by curt c
I agree with Art, unless your speaker's woofers are 61/2" or 8" in which case I would call them "small" regardless of what the manufacturer claims the response to be. If you call them "large" then adjust the low frequency on the Velodynes to integrate with the speakers. If you wish more info. or your issue hasn't been addressed properly, call me direct at; (480) 595-7141 during the week.
Thanks,
Curt

post #838 of 9855 Old 12-12-2004, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Curt and Art, I really appreciated.

360 gamertag------>Perpetual
PSN------->Perpetual1
post #839 of 9855 Old 12-13-2004, 05:09 PM

To all the gang at Velodyne, thanks a million for the V1.6 software update. The final piece of the puzzle for fully integrating my Home Theater with the Pronto 7000 was getting the discrete codes for the dual Velodyne DD-15 setup. I now finally have a setup and menus that work the first time, every time. Again, thanks a million, you've made at least one customer very happy.
post #840 of 9855 Old 12-13-2004, 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by rwright902
To all the gang at Velodyne, thanks a million for the V1.6 software update. The final piece of the puzzle for fully integrating my Home Theater with the Pronto 7000 was getting the discrete codes for the dual Velodyne DD-15 setup. I now finally have a setup and menus that work the first time, every time. Again, thanks a million, you've made at least one customer very happy.

It took way longer than it should have to get those out, glad they're working for you!

Bruce

Bruce Hall
Velodyne Acoustics
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Velodyne Acoustics , Velodyne Impact 10 10 Subwoofer , Velodyne Wiconnect 10 Wireless Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 8 8 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 10 10 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 12 12 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 15 15 Subwoofer , Velodyne

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page