AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrill View Post
In case anyone else has this issue:

Just an update -- it seems like the when the Edge is passing the video signal of the SMS-1, the Sony refuses to play nice. Even if I set the output resolution to 480p or 780p on the Edge, locked/unlocked the framerate, on/off with HDCP, etc., etc.

So I took the Edge out of the signal chain and plugged the SMS-1 video straight into my Onkyo SR805 -- and then the projector into the HDMI out on the 805. That worked ... so all is good. Odd though that the Edge somehow won't pass (or the Sony won't accept) the signal.
I agree it seems odd, but obviously it happens. I am happy to hear all is well now.

When in comes to audio there are seldom right and wrong answers.  The opinions of "experts" are just that, and should be used as a suggestion only.  Remember at the end of the day it is your money, your system, and you will need to listen to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9632 of 9770 Old 07-12-2014, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Morse View Post
If you were to look at the speaker cone, does it move back and forth (breathing in and out) while sitting idle?
Yes--the excursion is not large but I can see it moving. It stops for a few seconds then starts again until the red light on the control box goes out, then it stops completely.
post #9633 of 9770 Old 07-14-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
Yes--the excursion is not large but I can see it moving. It stops for a few seconds then starts again until the red light on the control box goes out, then it stops completely.
What you are describing is beginning to sound like a potential air leak in the driver or surround material.

When in comes to audio there are seldom right and wrong answers.  The opinions of "experts" are just that, and should be used as a suggestion only.  Remember at the end of the day it is your money, your system, and you will need to listen to it.
post #9634 of 9770 Old 07-14-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
What you are describing is beginning to sound like a potential air leak in the driver or surround material.
Well, yeah--there's a BIG air leak at the moment since I'd uninstalled the circuit board/heatsink assembly to inspect it and check the cap values. When you'd asked the question I'd already torn the unit apart, so I plugged the wires back in and left the circuit board hang while I checked for the woofer movement. If I'd known the cabinet needed to be airtight again I'd have (reluctantly) reasssembled the woofer and performed that test.

When it was sealed and airtight, though, it still exhibited the behavior I'd posted about. The light going off (and the power apparently shutting down) still occurred.
post #9635 of 9770 Old 07-14-2014, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well, yeah--there's a BIG air leak at the moment since I'd uninstalled the circuit board/heatsink assembly to inspect it and check the cap values. When you'd asked the question I'd already torn the unit apart, so I plugged the wires back in and left the circuit board hang while I checked for the woofer movement. If I'd known the cabinet needed to be airtight again I'd have (reluctantly) reasssembled the woofer and performed that test.

When it was sealed and airtight, though, it still exhibited the behavior I'd posted about. The light going off (and the power apparently shutting down) still occurred.
Sorry, I was unaware, this can be the problem with this type of troubleshooting.

Assuming the driver was behaving itself when buttoned up, it is difficult to steer you in a particular direction, the failure mode is not a common occurrence. If I were to try and find the point of failure, and the symptom was the power cutting out, I would start with the controller and power supply boards before moving to the amplifier. I can provide schematics to aid in the diagnostic if you like.

post #9636 of 9770 Old 07-14-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I was unaware, this can be the problem with this type of troubleshooting.

Assuming the driver was behaving itself when buttoned up, it is difficult to steer you in a particular direction, the failure mode is not a common occurrence. If I were to try and find the point of failure, and the symptom was the power cutting out, I would start with the controller and power supply boards before moving to the amplifier. I can provide schematics to aid in the diagnostic if you like.
I understand completely. Any documentation you can provide is most appreciated--and thanks.
post #9637 of 9770 Old 07-14-2014, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have a Velodyne F-1500 sub that was manufactured in 1993. I have never driven it very hard. It has quit working. The pilot light illuminates but there is no sound. Can Velodyne diagnose and repair the amplifier? I don't want to ship the entire beast. Maybe it's time for something new.

Thanks.
Dana Rodakis
post #9638 of 9770 Old 07-14-2014, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I understand completely. Any documentation you can provide is most appreciated--and thanks.
Please PM your email address and I will send them your way.

post #9639 of 9770 Old 07-14-2014, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4LK View Post
I have a Velodyne F-1500 sub that was manufactured in 1993. I have never driven it very hard. It has quit working. The pilot light illuminates but there is no sound. Can Velodyne diagnose and repair the amplifier? I don't want to ship the entire beast. Maybe it's time for something new.

Thanks.
Dana Rodakis
While we no longer support this subwoofer, Velodyne can provide schematics to you or your local repair shop at no charge to aid in repairing the unit at the component level.

post #9640 of 9770 Old 07-14-2014, 07:44 PM

Okay, thanks Rob. How do I obtain schematics? PM you my address?
post #9641 of 9770 Old 07-15-2014, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Okay, thanks Rob. How do I obtain schematics? PM you my address?
Yes please.

post #9642 of 9770 Old 07-15-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Yes please.
I just sent a PM requesting the schematic for my F-1500. Thanks much!
post #9643 of 9770 Old 07-16-2014, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I just sent a PM requesting the schematic for my F-1500. Thanks much!
I received your PM and replied via email. Good Luck.

post #9644 of 9770 Old 07-19-2014, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Are Velodynes considered good subs still? I don't hear that much about them anymore, but my CT-100 has been working perfectly for about 18 years now.

What exactly makes a sub good or bad anyway? What should I be listening for when buying a new one? I'm kinda wondering how much longer I can keep this bad boy running for.
post #9645 of 9770 Old 07-19-2014, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiR View Post
Are Velodynes considered good subs still? I don't hear that much about them anymore, but my CT-100 has been working perfectly for about 18 years now.

What exactly makes a sub good or bad anyway? What should I be listening for when buying a new one? I'm kinda wondering how much longer I can keep this bad boy running for.
The answer to this is like asking if blue is a good color. It is if you like it. If you have 18 years on your current sub, first, what are you asking for, and second, I think you have a "good" one. I know this sounds flippant, but to me its the bottom line answer to your question.

For me, a Velodyne owner, yes, I think its a good sub.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #9646 of 9770 Old 07-19-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley View Post
The answer to this is like asking if blue is a good color. It is if you like it. If you have 18 years on your current sub, first, what are you asking for, and second, I think you have a "good" one. I know this sounds flippant, but to me its the bottom line answer to your question.

For me, a Velodyne owner, yes, I think its a good sub.
Well yes, I agree in that I DO like it, and have never had complaints about it, and I do intend to keep it until it dies. I think what I meant by my question is if there are better subs out there, and how does one distinguish differences between different quality subs. If all I ever heard in my life were say, low end Panasanic speakers, and I thought they were the best speakers in the planet, it would be nice for someone to open my eyes (and ears) up and tell me to go listen to B&W, Sonus Faber, etc, etc so that I experienced something better.

I know I don't have a terrible sub, but just curious where it ranks in quality on a scale of 1 to 10. If I'm at a 5 or 6, I'd like to know what other brands I should check out so I know what a 10 sounds like as opposed to what my velodyne does.
post #9647 of 9770 Old 07-20-2014, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Well yes, I agree in that I DO like it, and have never had complaints about it, and I do intend to keep it until it dies. I think what I meant by my question is if there are better subs out there, and how does one distinguish differences between different quality subs. If all I ever heard in my life were say, low end Panasanic speakers, and I thought they were the best speakers in the planet, it would be nice for someone to open my eyes (and ears) up and tell me to go listen to B&W, Sonus Faber, etc, etc so that I experienced something better.

I know I don't have a terrible sub, but just curious where it ranks in quality on a scale of 1 to 10. If I'm at a 5 or 6, I'd like to know what other brands I should check out so I know what a 10 sounds like as opposed to what my velodyne does.
Again, this is a very subjective exchange. I think Velodyne subs are high-end and "good," someone else might think SVS subs are good. If my Velodyne sub went out, I'd probably go with Sunfire;Its in the ears of the beholder.

As a more constructive remark, I would suggest finding out what retailers are in your area, determine what brand subs they carry, Google those brands to get an idea of where they stand with the audiophile community (this forum is a great place to start) and then go listen. You may find that your's sounds every bit as good as anything they have. Or you may find it sounds like crap.

In my personal opinion (for what its worth), you have a very good sub.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #9648 of 9770 Old 07-20-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley View Post
Again, this is a very subjective exchange. I think Velodyne subs are high-end and "good," someone else might think SVS subs are good. If my Velodyne sub went out, I'd probably go with Sunfire;Its in the ears of the beholder.

As a more constructive remark, I would suggest finding out what retailers are in your area, determine what brand subs they carry, Google those brands to get an idea of where they stand with the audiophile community (this forum is a great place to start) and then go listen. You may find that your's sounds every bit as good as anything they have. Or you may find it sounds like crap.

In my personal opinion (for what its worth), you have a very good sub.
Thanks. I think I need to find a store here that lies somewhere between best buy and "holy **** that's nice, but there's no way in the world I can afford $20k for a speaker cable". I suppose I could start with BB for now. It's always nice hearing what the online community has to say, but yes you are absolutely correct in that it really is up to the listener.

Appreciate your time and thoughts!
post #9649 of 9770 Old 07-21-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I would only say ... and my opinion is obviously biased ... yes, Velodyne is still a good brand. We still specialize in home subwoofers, we are the same family run independent company we were when your old subwoofer was built. There are many more competitors today, some may offer value, some performance, some a bit of both at the end of the day, after 31 years, Velodyne is still a part of the conversation when it comes to quality subwoofers.

post #9650 of 9770 Old 07-21-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For Sure!
post #9651 of 9770 Old 07-21-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
I would only say ... and my opinion is obviously biased ... yes, Velodyne is still a good brand. We still specialize in home subwoofers, we are the same family run independent company we were when your old subwoofer was built. There are many more competitors today, some may offer value, some performance, some a bit of both at the end of the day, after 31 years, Velodyne is still a part of the conversation when it comes to quality subwoofers.
Absolutely! I remember when I was first looking for a subwoofer, my friend made me return the other one I had (can't remember the brand), and said Velodyne was the way to go. I've never had a single complaint about mine, and the fact that it's lasted THIS long is pretty amazing. I may just end up picking up a second velodyne.

Keep up the excellent work!
post #9652 of 9770 Old 07-22-2014, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Absolutely! I remember when I was first looking for a subwoofer, my friend made me return the other one I had (can't remember the brand), and said Velodyne was the way to go. I've never had a single complaint about mine, and the fact that it's lasted THIS long is pretty amazing. I may just end up picking up a second velodyne.

Keep up the excellent work!
Aloha, HawaiiR:

I've had Velodyne subs since their original ULD-15 and currently have a pair of DD-15s. I regard them as high-end gear because of their performance and build quality. If you're looking for low distortion, controlled power, and EQ/setup flexibility, you won't go wrong. They also provide excellent customer service.

Best fishes,

RJ

The means — Bryston SP3 | Bryston 6B-SST(C) - L/C/R; 4B-SST(C) - surrounds; 4B-SST(C) - rears | Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player; BDA-2 D/A Converter; Oppo BDP-105 | Paradigm Reference Signature S8 fronts; C5 center; ADP surrounds; S4 rears; two Velodyne DD15 subs | APC S20 | Pioneer Elite PRO-1130

Eschew obfuscation.
post #9653 of 9770 Old 07-24-2014, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Let me know if you need assistance optimizing the input signal for the best system responsiveness to the Auto on/off.
Hi Rob

I have got your guide through my dealer but still no luck.

I have set the Processor's crossover at 120hz, and all the settings as suggested. Would putting some gain on subwoofer help?

Many thanks
post #9654 of 9770 Old 07-24-2014, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Hi Rob

I have got your guide through my dealer but still no luck.

I have set the Processor's crossover at 120hz, and all the settings as suggested. Would putting some gain on subwoofer help?

Many thanks
Increasing the gain can help, though there are a couple ways to do this. First start by ensuring the line input trims on the back of the subwoofer are set to maximum. Second, you can use a Y-splitter to feed both the left and right inputs. Finally, you can increase the LFE gain on your processor.

It is also important to ensure your LFE crossover point is not too low. If your are having difficulties with your auto on, then make certain your speakers are set to small and the crossover is not set below 80 Hz.

post #9655 of 9770 Old 07-26-2014, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Edit: Never mind. 100% user error. My SMS-1 is fine.

My Bargain Basement Theater

Last edited by Skrill; 07-27-2014 at 06:02 PM.
post #9656 of 9770 Old 07-26-2014, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Deleted double post.

My Bargain Basement Theater

Last edited by Skrill; 07-27-2014 at 04:44 AM.
post #9657 of 9770 Old 07-26-2014, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,

I was pointed to this thread for velodyne and noticed comments about the ULD model so I will ask here:
I hope its ok?

Velodyne ULD 15 issue need suggestions
So my old ULD 15 I am just about the refoam the border today and I decide to play a song and hope to hear that is works other then refoam. I decide before starting to refoam I play a song with cabinet upside down I start a song and it slowly starts going fine and a few seconds later the speaker erupts going up and down full motion basically uncontrollable. I unplug it. Could this happen because the foam is basically degraded completely or do I have now other issues? Should I go to the trouble to refoam the speaker and test? Suggestions please...thanks, Lance
post #9658 of 9770 Old 07-28-2014, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance328 View Post
Hi,

I was pointed to this thread for velodyne and noticed comments about the ULD model so I will ask here:
I hope its ok?

Velodyne ULD 15 issue need suggestions
So my old ULD 15 I am just about the refoam the border today and I decide to play a song and hope to hear that is works other then refoam. I decide before starting to refoam I play a song with cabinet upside down I start a song and it slowly starts going fine and a few seconds later the speaker erupts going up and down full motion basically uncontrollable. I unplug it. Could this happen because the foam is basically degraded completely or do I have now other issues? Should I go to the trouble to refoam the speaker and test? Suggestions please...thanks, Lance
There is a good chance that the problem is due to the foam surround. The servo driver requires an airtight environment, with an airleak caused by the bad surround, the driver will behave badly.

post #9659 of 9770 Old 07-30-2014, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Increasing the gain can help, though there are a couple ways to do this. First start by ensuring the line input trims on the back of the subwoofer are set to maximum. Second, you can use a Y-splitter to feed both the left and right inputs. Finally, you can increase the LFE gain on your processor.

It is also important to ensure your LFE crossover point is not too low. If your are having difficulties with your auto on, then make certain your speakers are set to small and the crossover is not set below 80 Hz.
Okay, I have tried the Y-splitter and feed both left and right and it sounds better! However, no cigars and the speaker still goes to standby.

Trim is set to maximum, crossover was at 120hz on the processor, and 98hz on the speaker, volume at 25. I haven't tried to increase the gain on LFE, but at your recommendation only at +5db, I have already increase my main volume by substantial margin which I think 5db is not going to make a difference. Anything else I can try before I take it to the local service centre to bypass the 1/2 watt standby circuit?
post #9660 of 9770 Old 07-30-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Okay, I have tried the Y-splitter and feed both left and right and it sounds better! However, no cigars and the speaker still goes to standby.

Trim is set to maximum, crossover was at 120hz on the processor, and 98hz on the speaker, volume at 25. I haven't tried to increase the gain on LFE, but at your recommendation only at +5db, I have already increase my main volume by substantial margin which I think 5db is not going to make a difference. Anything else I can try before I take it to the local service centre to bypass the 1/2 watt standby circuit?
It sounds like you have tried all the settings I would recommend, the next step may be to have the 1/2 watt bypassed to allow the always on function to work. The service center can also test that the board is functioning correctly. The subwoofer should stay on provided there is signal coming into the LFE input. With the 1/2 watt circuit the DD plus RCA input requires a minimum of 10mV RMS @ 80Hz when the line control trim set to maximum to stay active.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Velodyne Acoustics , Velodyne Impact 10 10 Subwoofer , Velodyne Wiconnect 10 Wireless Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 8 8 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 10 10 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 12 12 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 15 15 Subwoofer , Velodyne

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page