* Offical Velodyne Support Thread * - Page 325 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #9721 of 9729 Old 09-18-2014, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Update regarding my defective unit ( DD15+)

Dear all,

As you may know, I've shared here few weeks ago a description of the problem that I'm currently facing to with my Velodyne DD15+ (bought in Paris at the end of 2011) : for more details, please see page 319 of this thread.

After some discussions with "Rob Morse" and "Jeff at Velodyne" (via PM), it was clear that I had to have my subwoofer serviced. I've then made the travel from Normandie to Paris to have it serviced (thanks to my local dealer) by the french distributor, HamySound. Unfortunately, I learnt at that time that even if this subwoofer was still under the umbrella of the "3 years US guarantee", it was exceeding the 2 years european guarantee by several months... :-(

After investigations by the technical staff from Hamysound, it appears that the complete amplification board has to be changed. To do so, Hamysound is asking me 700€ (about 905 US $ !) parts+labor. I'm very surprised that such a high-end subwoofer (that I've purchased for 4840€ in France (about 6000 US $ !!!) has to be serviced just few months after the legal guarantee. I have to add that this subwoofer was NEVER driven hard (especially because my wife was pregnant in the 2012/2013 timeframe, my young daughter is here to testify ;-) so I don't understand the reason of such an expensive repair especially for a device that was respected and used at low volume (05-15), only during several dozen of hours. To me, it seems that this unit had a hidden defect when I bought it...

I've explained this issue to velodyne thanks to the "contact us" section of their web site and have asked for a gesture of goodwill but with no success. Is there someone here that might help me ?

Many thanks in advance !
With my best regards,

Flo, from France
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9722 of 9729 Old 09-18-2014, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo from France View Post
Dear all,

As you may know, I've shared here few weeks ago a description of the problem that I'm currently facing to with my Velodyne DD15+ (bought in Paris at the end of 2011) : for more details, please see page 319 of this thread.

After some discussions with "Rob Morse" and "Jeff at Velodyne" (via PM), it was clear that I had to have my subwoofer serviced. I've then made the travel from Normandie to Paris to have it serviced (thanks to my local dealer) by the french distributor, HamySound. Unfortunately, I learnt at that time that even if this subwoofer was still under the umbrella of the "3 years US guarantee", it was exceeding the 2 years european guarantee by several months... :-(

After investigations by the technical staff from Hamysound, it appears that the complete amplification board has to be changed. To do so, Hamysound is asking me 700€ (about 905 US $ !) parts+labor. I'm very surprised that such a high-end subwoofer (that I've purchased for 4840€ in France (about 6000 US $ !!!) has to be serviced just few months after the legal guarantee. I have to add that this subwoofer was NEVER driven hard (especially because my wife was pregnant in the 2012/2013 timeframe, my young daughter is here to testify ;-) so I don't understand the reason of such an expensive repair especially for a device that was respected and used at low volume (05-15), only during several dozen of hours. To me, it seems that this unit had a hidden defect when I bought it...

I've explained this issue to velodyne thanks to the "contact us" section of their web site and have asked for a gesture of goodwill but with no success. Is there someone here that might help me ?

Many thanks in advance !
With my best regards,

Flo, from France
Velodyne did receive your email, it was in this mornings in box and I have responded to your email. In my email I asked for you to provide some additional details so that we might be able to assist you. Please reply to my email with the requested information, I will then discuss the matter with our French distributor to see if they are willing to work with you.

When in comes to audio there are seldom right and wrong answers.  The opinions of "experts" are just that, and should be used as a suggestion only.  Remember at the end of the day it is your money, your system, and you will need to listen to it.
post #9723 of 9729 Old 09-18-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Morse View Post
Velodyne did receive your email, it was in this mornings in box and I have responded to your email. In my email I asked for you to provide some additional details so that we might be able to assist you. Please reply to my email with the requested information, I will then discuss the matter with our French distributor to see if they are willing to work with you.
Hello Rob Morse,

Many thanks for your feedback : I'll provide the requested informations within the next minutes.

Best regards,
Flo, from France
post #9724 of 9729 Old 09-18-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo from France View Post
Hello Rob Morse,

Many thanks for your feedback : I'll provide the requested informations within the next minutes.

Best regards,
Flo, from France
Your message was received.

When in comes to audio there are seldom right and wrong answers.  The opinions of "experts" are just that, and should be used as a suggestion only.  Remember at the end of the day it is your money, your system, and you will need to listen to it.
post #9725 of 9729 Old 09-19-2014, 12:10 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Velodyne does not have stock of the sub-assemblies any longer, the components themselves can be purchased at virtually any local or online electronics parts house.
I had a play with my two faulty VA-1210xii's today. The unit that when demo'd to me did not produce any output strangely enough worked today when I fed it a source! It is also the one I had previously had a look at the amp. The only thing that I could visually discern that could possibly be an issue was that the two large capacitors (4700uF 50v electrolytics - power supply filters?) had very slightly bulging tops, but were bulged equally. I pulled the amp out of the unit that emits the loud hum and these two caps were of a different manufacturer (slightly smaller) but same value. They didn't have bulged tops, but on one the "shrink wrap" on it had cracked around the top (maybe a sign of stress?). I had read a post here several pages back where a guy had replaced these caps and fixed his loud hum issue on a different model, so I figured I had nothing to lose, so I unsoldered that cap with the cracked wrap, and replaced it with one of the bulging caps from the working amp. Plugged it in and turned it on....no hum, and working fine when hooked up to a source! So 4 caps ordered from online supplier - I may as well replace both pairs on both amps, as maybe the bulging ones cause the 1st amp to lose it's output sometimes (or it could have other issues like a dry joint somewhere that I "remade" when I removed and replaced the amp), and I have to resolder a cap back into it anyway. So with any luck, in a few days I will have two working VA-1210xii's for $12 in parts.

Last edited by AndyfromOz; 09-19-2014 at 12:24 AM. Reason: spelling
post #9726 of 9729 Old 09-19-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
I understand better now, your having difficulty getting acknowledgement when switching presets. Unfortunately we do not have replacement LED logo badges for all the DD subwoofer. Depending upon the serial number we might be able to get you a replacement. Please contact service@velodyne.com for assistance.
Hi Rob

Just to let others know I had success with replacing the Logo/light, but is a bit of DIY once you figure out which DD Logo Badge you have as there are two versions and not all are available.
Also there is no led as such which illuminates the logo, the logo is the light.
The original badge is screwed and glued to the front bezel and needs to be carefully pried off, I used an oyster shucker, see photo for removed badge assembly and new one installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DD LOGO BADGE.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	269769   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1723.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	269785   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1725.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	269793   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1721.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	269801  

Robert
Toronto, Ontario

Last edited by rob80b; 09-19-2014 at 03:52 PM.
post #9727 of 9729 Old 09-19-2014, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I am glad to hear you were able to resolve the issue.

post #9728 of 9729 Old Yesterday, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rob,

I have a Velodyne HGS12 with the amp model # DD12BG and it started to flutter when a bass not hits. Is my amp or sub blown? Is it worth sending the amp to fix? How much does this normally cost.?

Thanks,
Luis
post #9729 of 9729 Old Today, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,

i have a Velodyne HGS12BG. It started making a buzzing sound (very loud) intermittently. Then it just died. The power indicator comes on. No protection circuit light.
But no output either. i absolutely loved this sub. And want to get it repaired if its not going to cost an arm and a leg.

With the weight of this thing in mind, can I send the amp board in for repair or do you need the whole cabinet? Or, could I buy the parts and do the repair myself? I don't trouble shoot to component level, but with a drawing I can check to the board level at least.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
David
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Velodyne Acoustics , Velodyne Impact 10 10 Subwoofer , Velodyne Wiconnect 10 Wireless Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 8 8 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 10 10 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 12 12 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 15 15 Subwoofer , Velodyne

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page