11Likes

post #9751 of 9770 Old 10-07-2014, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
DD12BG Power Supply Problem

Hello:
I have a 10+ year old DD12 (Model DD12BG) that seems to have developed a power supply problem. The unit has no output, and the logo light is out. I have checked for power to the unit, etc and all is normal.
The manufacture date on the label is Oct 24, 2003. Since the unit has been powered on 24/7 for most of its life, I suspect something in the power supply has died.
I am a experienced design/systems engineer with more than 50 years experience, and would be comfortable obtaining any needed discrete parts, trouble shooting and repairing the unit.
I have tried to remove the electronics package by removing the 12 screws around the panel, but it is still firmly anchored in place. Is there a hidden screw or two that is still holding it?
I really love the unit, and my engineering background gives me the insight to fully appreciate the elegance of the Velodyne servo drive solution for low distortion bass.
Any suggestions or help from anyone who has been down this road before would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Bob K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9752 of 9770 Old 10-07-2014, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSKConsulting View Post
Hello:
I have a 10+ year old DD12 (Model DD12BG) that seems to have developed a power supply problem. The unit has no output, and the logo light is out. I have checked for power to the unit, etc and all is normal.
The manufacture date on the label is Oct 24, 2003. Since the unit has been powered on 24/7 for most of its life, I suspect something in the power supply has died.
I am a experienced design/systems engineer with more than 50 years experience, and would be comfortable obtaining any needed discrete parts, trouble shooting and repairing the unit.
I have tried to remove the electronics package by removing the 12 screws around the panel, but it is still firmly anchored in place. Is there a hidden screw or two that is still holding it?
I really love the unit, and my engineering background gives me the insight to fully appreciate the elegance of the Velodyne servo drive solution for low distortion bass.
Any suggestions or help from anyone who has been down this road before would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Bob K.
I am sorry to hear that your subwoofer is experiencing difficulties. The electronics assemblies are delivered to us already assembled, so we do not have discreet components available for this unit, we only offer board level service. If you complete and return this linked service request form, then submit it to service@velodyne.com they will be able to provide instructions for removing the back panel assembly and a quotation for service and repairs.

When in comes to audio there are seldom right and wrong answers.  The opinions of "experts" are just that, and should be used as a suggestion only.  Remember at the end of the day it is your money, your system, and you will need to listen to it.
post #9753 of 9770 Old 10-07-2014, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 118
^^^^

Rob, I left a post about chipped veneer on my DD15+ that I guess you missed. It's one page back at the bottom . Got any feedback?

Thanks!
post #9754 of 9770 Old 10-08-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashub View Post
CHIPPED VENEER
Hi Rob, I am the proud owner of 2 DD 15+'s. Flawless. As have all of the Velo's I've owned.

For years I've used blue tack to secure my bookshelves to a stand. I'm not sure what happened -- maybe it's the extreme heat here in LA -- I don't know -- but the blue tack went soft and the speaker fell on my DD+ Ebony finish. It chipped the wood veneer off of the subwoofer in 3 places. It's a 1st world problem, of course. The sub works great. But I've had it 3 years with nary a problem or a blemish so it does sting a bit.

Would you folks be able to repair it (like new) if I shipped it back? Or am I better off learning to live with it or trying to get some local guy to patch it? Thanks in advance.
Sorry for the delay in response. Unfortunately Velodyne would not be able to repair the cabinet, though we could replace the cabinet. It may be significantly less expensive for a local furniture craftsman to try to repair any chips.

When in comes to audio there are seldom right and wrong answers.  The opinions of "experts" are just that, and should be used as a suggestion only.  Remember at the end of the day it is your money, your system, and you will need to listen to it.
post #9755 of 9770 Old 10-08-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 118
^^^

Thanks! That's why I bought 2 -- just in case something like this happened. : o )

I'm glad it still works.
post #9756 of 9770 Old 10-08-2014, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a v-810x-b model velodyne subwoofer from 1994 where the front firing subwoofer has suffered from the foam disintegrating. Is this model worth the repair costs associated with that type of repair or have the technology in the last twenty years made it worth an investment in a new model?
post #9757 of 9770 Old 10-11-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Hello:
Thanks,

Bob K.
A few months back, I had run into amplifier issues with my DD18. I phoned Velodyne, and started the process that Rob had previously suggested. I feel Velodyne handled, and resolved my amp issues very well. So far, so good!

As for the removal of the amp module itself, I was faced with the same problem. There were no hidden screws, just the fact that the module was stuck to the gasket material underneath the module's faceplate. So, with all 12 screws removed, I ended up using a flat bladed screwdriver(that has the blade tip bent) and inserted it into couple of screw holes and gently pried the faceplate up a little at a time until its release.

A bit concerning at first, but all ended well. I hope this helps.

Enjoy Listening!
Dave

I don't believe in astrology; I'm a Sagittarius and we're skeptical.
(Arthur C. Clarke)
post #9758 of 9770 Old 10-11-2014, 07:01 PM

I have a DPS 10 that has recently started getting a static noise coming from it at all levels. Is there anything I can do to fix this...this has been a great sub for me and would like to keep it. Is there anything I can try to stop this from happening?
Thanks
post #9759 of 9770 Old 10-13-2014, 05:03 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Hello:
Is there a hidden screw or two that is still holding it?

Bob K.
No, unscrew the speaker input terminals (not completely off but so you can get access to the bare wire holes), run a wire or coat hangar through one of the holes; heat around the outside of the backplate edge with a hair dryer (to loosen the foam plate-gasket around the backside/inside); pull. The pulling force is dependent on how much that gasket adheres to the back-plate, but it will pop out (maybe violently so be careful; there is some length to the internal cables but not a great amount).
post #9760 of 9770 Old 10-14-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Any word if the Optimum line may get updated anytime soon?

I am looking for a high quality 10" sealed sub with built in EQ and crossover outputs for a nearfield music only setup. So far the Optimum and DD10+ are the only ones meeting my requirements.

Not sure I want to spend the big bucks on the DD10+ and the Optimum looks like it has been out for a long time without an update.
post #9761 of 9770 Old 10-14-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Crutchfield shows the Optimum 10 as discontinued?!
post #9762 of 9770 Old 10-20-2014, 04:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Morse View Post
I have spoken with our lead technician and he suggests the following:
1. Replace C5, C10. 470uF 25V
2. Add 0.1uF caps across C18, C29
3. Replace C38 (100uF, 63V), and R65 if R65 is burnt (100ohm)
Thank you for taking the time Rob!
Sorry for taking so long to respond, took me a while to get the components...

I replaced the capacitors you specified above (the R65 resistor did not show any sign of being burnt, so I didn't replace it at this point, if should replace it anyway, please let me know, and I'll replace it).
The sub sounds the same as before, so the problem seems to be somewhere else.
Which components should I replace next? Or should I consider replaceing all caps on the amp cirquitboard?
post #9763 of 9770 Old 10-20-2014, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrlride View Post
I have a v-810x-b model velodyne subwoofer from 1994 where the front firing subwoofer has suffered from the foam disintegrating. Is this model worth the repair costs associated with that type of repair or have the technology in the last twenty years made it worth an investment in a new model?
I appologize for my delay in response, I have been on the road traveling for business.

The foam surround on this model can be serviced inexpensively with an aftermarket DIY kit, or by a local speaker repair technician, there is no special technology in this particular driver. While there have been many cool updates and features in subwoofer design, the cost of a DIY (typically less than $30) kit and some of your time is far less than you would spend on a comparable subwoofer. Now if your like me and just looking for an excuse to purchase new electronics, then the Wi-Q 10 would be something to look at similar to what you have.

post #9764 of 9770 Old 10-20-2014, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ur2slow View Post
I have a DPS 10 that has recently started getting a static noise coming from it at all levels. Is there anything I can do to fix this...this has been a great sub for me and would like to keep it. Is there anything I can try to stop this from happening?
Thanks
An unusal issue on this subwoofer, however, if the problem is in the DPS 10, then it would rest in the electronics. I would try trouble shooting to ensure the issue lies in the subwoofer.

To test and verify there is a problem with the subwoofer:
1. Connect the left and right outputs of a working CD or DVD player directly to the subwoofer’s inputs using a different cable than you normally use.
2. Turn the cross-over all the way up to 120 and set the volume to 30% volume.
3. Play a CD with some beat
If the subwoofer is working you will hear the bass portion of the music, this means the problem is elsewhere in your system. If the same problem persists, the problem is likely in the subwoofer.

If there is a problem with the subwoofer we can service this unit for you. In most cases we do not need the whole subwoofer, but rather just the 7lb electronics pack. Contact service@velodyne.com

post #9765 of 9770 Old 10-20-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malikkapil View Post
Velodyne DD10 BGE no power

Hi, Pardon my ignorance, iam new to the forum. My DD10 BGE has no power.
I don't have the original power cable for it, I am using a standard computer power cable. No light on the logo. Just wondering what is the best way to troubleshoot myself or get it fixed or .
I am in Australia.
Thanks in advance.
The computer cord should be fine, if you are not getting any power then there is a failure in the electronics and you should contact your dealer for assistance. They will work with our distributor to provide a service solution for you.

post #9766 of 9770 Old 10-20-2014, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Any word if the Optimum line may get updated anytime soon?

I am looking for a high quality 10" sealed sub with built in EQ and crossover outputs for a nearfield music only setup. So far the Optimum and DD10+ are the only ones meeting my requirements.

Not sure I want to spend the big bucks on the DD10+ and the Optimum looks like it has been out for a long time without an update.
Quote:
Crutchfield shows the Optimum 10 as discontinued?!
The Optimum series subwoofer has been out for several years, as subwoofers tend to be, normally I do not discuss product development on these forums as things are subject to change without notice, but there was a press release issued by Velodyne that mentioned a replacement was in the pipeline. As to when such a replacement would be in stores, I can honestly say not anytime soon.

As to the listing on Crutchfield, that is easy to explain. The Optimum is not discontinued by Velodyne, however we no longer distribute our product through Crutchfield, so it is a discontinued line for them.

post #9767 of 9770 Old 10-20-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
I appologize for my delay in response, I have been on the road traveling for business.

The foam surround on this model can be serviced inexpensively with an aftermarket DIY kit, or by a local speaker repair technician, there is no special technology in this particular driver. While there have been many cool updates and features in subwoofer design, the cost of a DIY (typically less than $30) kit and some of your time is far less than you would spend on a comparable subwoofer. Now if your like me and just looking for an excuse to purchase new electronics, then the Wi-Q 10 would be something to look at similar to what you have.
Thanks for your reply! After writing this I was able to find a foam surround kit which I found rather easy to replace. She's back to providing fantastic sound now.
post #9768 of 9770 Old 10-20-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enixion View Post
Thank you for taking the time Rob!
Sorry for taking so long to respond, took me a while to get the components...

I replaced the capacitors you specified above (the R65 resistor did not show any sign of being burnt, so I didn't replace it at this point, if should replace it anyway, please let me know, and I'll replace it).
The sub sounds the same as before, so the problem seems to be somewhere else.
Which components should I replace next? Or should I consider replaceing all caps on the amp cirquitboard?
I am sorry to hear that did not resolve your problem, unfortunately we are not able to speculate further via the forums. You could try replacing other capacitors, but some probing is probably in order to find the failure point. If I did not already provide you with the schematics, please PM me with your email address, model number, and serial number and I will send them your way.
Enixion likes this.

post #9769 of 9770 Old 10-20-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The Optimum series subwoofer has been out for several years, as subwoofers tend to be, normally I do not discuss product development on these forums as things are subject to change without notice, but there was a press release issued by Velodyne that mentioned a replacement was in the pipeline. As to when such a replacement would be in stores, I can honestly say not anytime soon.

As to the listing on Crutchfield, that is easy to explain. The Optimum is not discontinued by Velodyne, however we no longer distribute our product through Crutchfield, so it is a discontinued line for them.
Thanks Rob. Do you have a link to this press release?
post #9770 of 9770 Old 10-20-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Rob. Do you have a link to this press release?
Here is an article that mentions it: http://www.streetinsider.com/Press+R...S/9843735.html
drewTT likes this.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Velodyne Acoustics , Velodyne Impact 10 10 Subwoofer , Velodyne Wiconnect 10 Wireless Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 8 8 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 10 10 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 12 12 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 15 15 Subwoofer , Velodyne

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page