12Likes

post #9781 of 9810 Old 10-31-2014, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Morse View Post
The original Digital Drive series did not have a throughput XLR connection so you would not be able to daisy chain these subwoofers with XLR, you could do it with RCA connections. To have the DD EQ look at both subwoofers, you will need to EQ the DD first. Then volume match the HGS output with the DD. Then run the EQ on the DD a second time. In reality you are only equalizing the DD, no adjustments are being made to the HGS, you are only adjusting the DD to compensate for the HGS.

Thanks so much for your reply Rob.

So in your opinion do you think I should do it that way or is it better to just plug both into his Integra DHC 9.9 do some volume matching and let Audyssey MultEQ XT handle things??

Cheer,

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9782 of 9810 Old 11-02-2014, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Rob Morse,

I'm looking for the schematic to fix my DSL5000R amp. I contacted velodyne and they send me the wrong schematic with bipolar transistors output, my amp is a class D Mosfet one. i told them about it and they didn't answer my emails anymore.

if you can help me i will be really grateful.

the amp have 4 IRFP450's 2 for switching power and 2 for audio out.

I think that with the correct schematic, i can fix it.

thanks

Gustavo

post #9783 of 9810 Old 11-03-2014, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by linger63 View Post
Thanks so much for your reply Rob.

So in your opinion do you think I should do it that way or is it better to just plug both into his Integra DHC 9.9 do some volume matching and let Audyssey MultEQ XT handle things??

Cheer,

John
I would run the Equalization on the subwoofer, then run the Audyssey. Audyssey typically does not do the same level of detail in the subwoofer range as our equalizer will do.

When in comes to audio there are seldom right and wrong answers.  The opinions of "experts" are just that, and should be used as a suggestion only.  Remember at the end of the day it is your money, your system, and you will need to listen to it.
post #9784 of 9810 Old 11-03-2014, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cRACKn_ View Post
Hello Rob Morse,

I'm looking for the schematic to fix my DSL5000R amp. I contacted velodyne and they send me the wrong schematic with bipolar transistors output, my amp is a class D Mosfet one. i told them about it and they didn't answer my emails anymore.

if you can help me i will be really grateful.

the amp have 4 IRFP450's 2 for switching power and 2 for audio out.

I think that with the correct schematic, i can fix it.

thanks

Gustavo

PM me with your email address and I will see what I can find.

When in comes to audio there are seldom right and wrong answers.  The opinions of "experts" are just that, and should be used as a suggestion only.  Remember at the end of the day it is your money, your system, and you will need to listen to it.
post #9785 of 9810 Old 11-03-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
PM me with your email address and I will see what I can find.
sorry I cant PM you because of the 15 posts limit to PM not staff people.

really thanks,

Gustavo

Last edited by _cRACKn_; 11-03-2014 at 09:30 AM. Reason: remove email
post #9786 of 9810 Old 11-03-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
sorry I cant PM you because of the 15 posts limit to PM not staff people.

my email is

really thanks,

Gustavo
got it ... You may go back and edit your post to remove the email address, so you don't get unwanted attention.
_cRACKn_ likes this.

post #9787 of 9810 Old 11-03-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
got it ... You may go back and edit your post to remove the email address, so you don't get unwanted attention.
thank you

Gustavo
post #9788 of 9810 Old 11-03-2014, 10:04 AM

Best connections???

Quote:
I would run the Equalization on the subwoofer, then run the Audyssey. Audyssey typically does not do the same level of detail in the subwoofer range as our equalizer will do.

Hi Rob,

If I do as you recommend should I be "daisy chaining" or running 2 separate connections to

Integra. HGS at RCA level and DD at XLR level.

Regards,

John
post #9789 of 9810 Old 11-03-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linger63 View Post
Hi Rob,
If I do as you recommend should I be "daisy chaining" or running 2 separate connections to
Integra. HGS at RCA level and DD at XLR level.

Regards,

John
The original Digital Drive subwoofer does not posses a thru-put, so you can not daisy chain the subwoofers. You will need you us a splitter to feed both subwoofers.

post #9790 of 9810 Old 11-03-2014, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
The subwoofer being pushed to maximum excursion is an indication that there is a failure of the servo control mechanism. Sadly, this is not repairable.
Thanks for the reply Rob. And oh boy that stinks. So I can still put a new woofer in the box correct? And if so is there a good place to look for one? Thanks again.

McIntosh MC 2500 amp
McIntosh C 33 receiver
Sony X779ES CD player
Altech Voice of the Theater speakers
Velodyne F-1500 sub woofer
post #9791 of 9810 Old 11-03-2014, 10:19 PM

Thanks

Quote:
The original Digital Drive subwoofer does not posses a thru-put, so you can not daisy chain the subwoofers. You will need you us a splitter to feed both subwoofers.

Hi Rob,

Thanks a lot mate.

Much appreciated.

Cheers,

John
post #9792 of 9810 Old 11-04-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubrick1138 View Post
Thanks for the reply Rob. And oh boy that stinks. So I can still put a new woofer in the box correct? And if so is there a good place to look for one? Thanks again.
At this point you could replace the driver, but would need to replace the amplifier as well. The original amplifier requires the servo feed back, without it you will get a lot of hum.

post #9793 of 9810 Old 11-04-2014, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I have two Velodyne F-1000 B servo subs. One I purchased about 20 years ago. I liked it so much I bought another about 2 years ago.

My original F-1000 B is still going strong and sounds great. However, the 2nd one I purchased isn't doing so well. The 10" driver undergoes a lot of excursion compared to the other one when watching them both with the covers off. It does produce sound, but it can't be pushed at all because of the driver's crazy gyrations on low frequency playback. In fact, the driver's X-max has been so high that it has caused the foam rubber surround to tear.

I realize this model is way out of warranty, but is this something a person could fix with a soldering iron? I've read on other forums that a faulty servo mechanism could cause a driver to behave as such.

Thanks for any help/insight you can offer.

1: Sony DVP-S7000 | Denon DVD-2900 | Laptop > Emotiva XDA-2 > Emotiva Control Freak > Crown XLS2000 > Focal 826V | Def Tech BP2000 | (2) DIY 15" Subs
2: Computer > Parasound Zdac > Emotiva Control Freak > Acurus A150 > Focal 706V | Def Tech SM450 | Velodyne F-1000B Sub
post #9794 of 9810 Old 11-04-2014, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius View Post
I have two Velodyne F-1000 B servo subs. One I purchased about 20 years ago. I liked it so much I bought another about 2 years ago.

My original F-1000 B is still going strong and sounds great. However, the 2nd one I purchased isn't doing so well. The 10" driver undergoes a lot of excursion compared to the other one when watching them both with the covers off. It does produce sound, but it can't be pushed at all because of the driver's crazy gyrations on low frequency playback. In fact, the driver's X-max has been so high that it has caused the foam rubber surround to tear.

I realize this model is way out of warranty, but is this something a person could fix with a soldering iron? I've read on other forums that a faulty servo mechanism could cause a driver to behave as such.

Thanks for any help/insight you can offer.
The unstable driver and its extreme excursions are an indication that the servo control is or has failed. This is not a repairable item, and unfortunately replacements for this unit are no longer available. I am happy to provide schematics, but they will only assist with amplifier issues, and will not aid in the servo issue.

post #9795 of 9810 Old 11-04-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
The unstable driver and its extreme excursions are an indication that the servo control is or has failed. This is not a repairable item, and unfortunately replacements for this unit are no longer available. I am happy to provide schematics, but they will only assist with amplifier issues, and will not aid in the servo issue.
Thank you very much. I guess I'll toss it. Ethically I can no longer sell it as I now know it isn't repairable.

1: Sony DVP-S7000 | Denon DVD-2900 | Laptop > Emotiva XDA-2 > Emotiva Control Freak > Crown XLS2000 > Focal 826V | Def Tech BP2000 | (2) DIY 15" Subs
2: Computer > Parasound Zdac > Emotiva Control Freak > Acurus A150 > Focal 706V | Def Tech SM450 | Velodyne F-1000B Sub
post #9796 of 9810 Old 11-04-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Hamy Sound has the right to refuse to service goods imported into the country by anyone other than themselves. If your DD is not responding to the remote control, then I would try opening the back panel to see if the 12 pin cable from the front panel is connected properly to the rear panel. If you remove that connector and reseat it, and the problem persists then we would need to try additional trouble shooting. Such as trying an external remote eye to see if the issue is in the electronics or the sensor.
Hi Rob,

Currently the DD12 + is in Hamysound I must recover this week, I'll probably remove the back panel and see if everything is connected properly.
Should we remove the speaker to get to the front control?
Is that the front IR command can be involved?
It is still curious that failure is that the fault may be with the software part of the DD12?

Thank you for the advice
post #9797 of 9810 Old 11-04-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patjero View Post
Hi Rob,

Currently the DD12 + is in Hamysound I must recover this week, I'll probably remove the back panel and see if everything is connected properly.
Should we remove the speaker to get to the front control?
Is that the front IR command can be involved?
It is still curious that failure is that the fault may be with the software part of the DD12?

Thank you for the advice
It is highly improbable for the problem to be software related. The issue will be either a physical connection, a failure of the IR sensor, or a problem with the controller on the electronics pack.

post #9798 of 9810 Old 11-04-2014, 11:12 PM

Hello Rob,

just to inform you that with your help, my DLS5000R is already fixed.

thanks.

Gustavo
post #9799 of 9810 Old 11-06-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hello Rob,

just to inform you that with your help, my DLS5000R is already fixed.

thanks.

Gustavo
Brilliant !

post #9800 of 9810 Old 11-08-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Rob, I wanted to post an update to the status of my aging F-1000 servo sub.

Seeing as I thought the unit was not able to be repaired and ready for the landfill, I took it apart and glued some rectangular pieces of bicycle innertube into several sections on the underside of the surround of where the foam rubber surround had torn completely through or was so thin that light from a small flashlight could be seen through it.

The driver is no longer making the crazy gyrations/excursion it once exhibited. This would indicate that the rotting and thinning foam rubber surround was the real culprit and not the servo mechanism.

I'm definitely not claiming that the unit sounds as good as new because of my hack repair job, but it's now working and doesn't sound too bad.

post #9801 of 9810 Old 11-10-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius View Post
Rob, I wanted to post an update to the status of my aging F-1000 servo sub.

Seeing as I thought the unit was not able to be repaired and ready for the landfill, I took it apart and glued some rectangular pieces of bicycle innertube into several sections on the underside of the surround of where the foam rubber surround had torn completely through or was so thin that light from a small flashlight could be seen through it.

The driver is no longer making the crazy gyrations/excursion it once exhibited. This would indicate that the rotting and thinning foam rubber surround was the real culprit and not the servo mechanism.

I'm definitely not claiming that the unit sounds as good as new because of my hack repair job, but it's now working and doesn't sound too bad.
This can happen when there is an airleak, the servo becomes unstable. You may contact someone like speakerrepair.com or speakersaver.com who has experience with repairing the surround on these servo drivers. They can do a much better job than your Band-Aid.

post #9802 of 9810 Old 11-10-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
This can happen when there is an airleak, the servo becomes unstable. You may contact someone like speakerrepair.com or speakersaver.com who has experience with repairing the surround on these servo drivers. They can do a much better job than your Band-Aid.
Thanks. I may buy that kit and rework both of them.

post #9803 of 9810 Old 11-12-2014, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
velodyne whistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOM85 View Post
Hi, I purchased a EQ-MAX 15 sub woofer from Velodyne's ebay store about a month ago. It's been working great, however its started making a high pitched "whistle" when there's no signal being sent to it. It still sounds great and seems to function just fine but i am a little concerned. What should I do?

Hello.
I have a month old subwoofer Velodyne SPL 1000 Ultra. Subwoofer for participation in the 230 in the sand. Whistling based on the back side. (My guess 17-20khz) in the service I replaced the amplifier, but the source still whistles. My distributor whistling hear. Please tell me what can be the problem?
Thank you.
Novotny
Czech Republic
post #9804 of 9810 Old 11-12-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibosl View Post
Hello.
I have a month old subwoofer Velodyne SPL 1000 Ultra. Subwoofer for participation in the 230 in the sand. Whistling based on the back side. (My guess 17-20khz) in the service I replaced the amplifier, but the source still whistles. My distributor whistling hear. Please tell me what can be the problem?
Thank you.
Novotny
Czech Republic
I have received your email, as well as the many emails forwarded to me by all the European distributors you have contacted. I replied with a series of questions, and received your answers. Based on your answers I advised what the problem could be, assuming the issue is determined by the distributor as audible to a normal person from a meter away. The distributor claims they can hear nothing, while you claim the problem is audible 40 meters away. I have emailed both you and the distributor that Velodyne is willing to provide a replacement electronics pack at no cost and suggest we see how things go from there.

post #9805 of 9810 Old 11-12-2014, 07:40 PM

Can't remember if I've posted this or not, so apologies if I'm repeating myselfs, but I stumbled across the Velodyne dps-12 the other day in the basement that I have and thoughts to myselfs, "Self…"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'
'
'
I bought one of these dps-12 models for 20 bucks and it doesn't work. Abunch of burned capacity-thingies on the circuit board. (I'll try not to lose you fellas with my obviously superior technical grasp of the issues…) and I'm wondering if I could just rip the guts out, and put in my own amp, in a bastard-child of a home dyi'er?

I took the woofer to an electronics buddy and he said it was toast.

Any suggestions?

SweetDoug

•∆•
V-V
post #9806 of 9810 Old 11-13-2014, 07:51 AM

Liked: 2
SPL10 Issue with humming and now not working

I have a 2001 Velodyne SPL10 which started to humming, then popping, then nothing. I took the sub out to test it with my basic knowledge. Cone moves freely with no scratching and ohms out at 5.9. My signal is good to the amp.

I'm assuming it is the amp according to other post. Is it worth getting the original amp repaired or bypassing it with something like a Dayton Audio's SA1000?
post #9807 of 9810 Old 11-13-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetDoug View Post
Can't remember if I've posted this or not, so apologies if I'm repeating myselfs, but I stumbled across the Velodyne dps-12 the other day in the basement that I have and thoughts to myselfs, "Self…"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'
'
'
I bought one of these dps-12 models for 20 bucks and it doesn't work. Abunch of burned capacity-thingies on the circuit board. (I'll try not to lose you fellas with my obviously superior technical grasp of the issues…) and I'm wondering if I could just rip the guts out, and put in my own amp, in a bastard-child of a home dyi'er?

I took the woofer to an electronics buddy and he said it was toast.

Any suggestions?

SweetDoug

•∆•
V-V
I just checked stock and we have a refurbished complete electronics assembly available. I will PM you the details.

post #9808 of 9810 Old 11-13-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPplasma View Post
I have a 2001 Velodyne SPL10 which started to humming, then popping, then nothing. I took the sub out to test it with my basic knowledge. Cone moves freely with no scratching and ohms out at 5.9. My signal is good to the amp.

I'm assuming it is the amp according to other post. Is it worth getting the original amp repaired or bypassing it with something like a Dayton Audio's SA1000?

The 2001 version of the SPL is unfortunately no longer supported by Velodyne, however other repair shops may be able to assist you in repairing the subwoofer.

post #9809 of 9810 Old 11-17-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I just checked stock and we have a refurbished complete electronics assembly available. I will PM you the details.
What would the REA for the velodyne dps-12 cost to be shipped to Toronto Canada?

Doug
post #9810 of 9810 Old 11-17-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetDoug View Post
What would the REA for the velodyne dps-12 cost to be shipped to Toronto Canada?

Doug
Please contact service@velodyne.com as I am on the road out of the office and am unable to supply you with shipping quotes.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Velodyne Acoustics , Velodyne Impact 10 10 Subwoofer , Velodyne Wiconnect 10 Wireless Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 8 8 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 10 10 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 12 12 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 15 15 Subwoofer , Velodyne