* Offical Velodyne Support Thread * - Page 332 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #9931 of 9938 Old 02-23-2015, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
To update some more things I have tried - I used an external Xantech IR receiver plugged into the rear port and that did not work either. I guess I should try a test procedure and be ready to send the amp board in for servicing if the issue is not the IR receiver phototransistor. I have tried the Velodyne remote and a Logitech Harmony One with Velodyne loaded for testing. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9932 of 9938 Old 02-24-2015, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluragbin View Post
Hi Rob,
Have you had any response from the Australian distributor about the 84 sub assembly (amp module) for the CHT-12Q?
Thanks again,
Joe
I am sorry, I am not in direct communication with them but made a request to the service and support manager, I will PM you who was contacting them at Velodyne and you can email him directly.

When in comes to audio there are seldom right and wrong answers.  The opinions of "experts" are just that, and should be used as a suggestion only.  Remember at the end of the day it is your money, your system, and you will need to listen to it.
post #9933 of 9938 Old 02-24-2015, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OARon View Post
Hello,

I have an HGS15BG that has started producing intermittent static sounds. The sounds are produced whenever the sub is on, regardless of any input. Otherwise, the performance of the speaker remains unchanged.

A number of years ago I had a similar problem and sent it in for repair. It worked perfectly after that up until now.

Reading through this forum, there seems to be a fair chance it could be nothing more than capacitors drying out. Are the schematics for this unit available?

Details:
Velodyne HGS15BG
Serial# 61085042
Date: Mar 26, 2001

It's great to see a manufacturer actively supporting their products in this forum. Thanks!

PM Sent

When in comes to audio there are seldom right and wrong answers.  The opinions of "experts" are just that, and should be used as a suggestion only.  Remember at the end of the day it is your money, your system, and you will need to listen to it.
post #9934 of 9938 Old 02-24-2015, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamsterla View Post
DD-15 Issues with remote returned after a few years:

I have had this unit for a long time - probably about 7 years or so. The unit works fine, but the remote does not operate. I can change the volume via the rear controls and I can see the video via the component output on my monitor. However the remote does not work at all which severely limits the functionality.

I removed the amplifier/control panel to troubleshoot the IR receiver. I do not know the part number of the IR receiver, so I determined the following:

Board white pin shows +12v, the black pin is ground and the red pin I assume is the Vin for the IR part. I used the wires on the IR diode connected to a bench supply of 12v and measured that the red pin had 12v on it even with no IR input. This leads me to believe that the IR part is bad.

I was hoping to find out a few things:
  1. What is the IR receiver part number
  2. How to safely replace the diode if it proves to be bad
The IR receiver is in a resin in the box, so if it turns out the IR receiver is bad, I want to safely replace it and avoid the huge shipping charges of sending the unit from LA to Morgan Hill. If there is a local repair place, I would be willing to drag it there.
If available, you can order the IR sub-assembly from service@velodyne.com. They will need the serial number for your subwoofer and can provide pricing. Great care will be needed to ensure you have an air-tight seal when you are done servicing the subwoofer.

post #9935 of 9938 Old 02-24-2015, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamsterla View Post
To update some more things I have tried - I used an external Xantech IR receiver plugged into the rear port and that did not work either. I guess I should try a test procedure and be ready to send the amp board in for servicing if the issue is not the IR receiver phototransistor. I have tried the Velodyne remote and a Logitech Harmony One with Velodyne loaded for testing. Thanks.
The IR port on the back of the Digital Drive will not function with aftermarket IR sensors. The code length is abnormal and proprietary. You can use a hyper-com terminal via the RS-232 port, or you can contact service@velodyne.com. They do sell an external IR sensor that you could use.

post #9936 of 9938 Old 02-24-2015, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Morse View Post
I am sorry, I am not in direct communication with them but made a request to the service and support manager, I will PM you who was contacting them at Velodyne and you can email him directly.
Done. Thanks Rob.
post #9937 of 9938 Old Today, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Remote IR fixed the issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Morse View Post
The IR port on the back of the Digital Drive will not function with aftermarket IR sensors. The code length is abnormal and proprietary. You can use a hyper-com terminal via the RS-232 port, or you can contact service@velodyne.com. They do sell an external IR sensor that you could use.
I just wanted to follow up with my post. I ordered the remote IR sensor from the service department. It fixed my issue - the sub responds fine to remote input now. This implicates the built in IR sensor which looks to be a total pain to replace (encased in resin and built into the actual speaker box). At least it did not require a board replacement. Thanks for the quick turnaround.
post #9938 of 9938 Old Today, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I apologize for polluting this thread. Despite being a member since 2003, I still don't have 15 posts and can't reply to a PM I received requesting information on my HG15BG subwoofer problem.

This is for linger63. Please PM me again when you've read it so I delete this post from the thread.

Response to your PM:

That's exactly the sound. Sorry!

I don't know for sure that it's caps, but it's worth checking.

I dabble in electronics so I've got something called an ESR meter on the way. It will allow me to test the electrolytic capacitors without having to remove them from the circuit board. In my case, it's worth the price of the meter (about 70 bucks) because I'll use it on other projects. If all the caps are good and nothing else is apparently wrong, I'll probably just send it in. Easier and they provide a one year warranty on the repair.

If you have an electronics repair shop nearby, it would definitely be worth the time to take the sub to see if they can repair it. If it is a failing capacitor, they should be able to do it with no problem.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Velodyne Acoustics , Velodyne Impact 10 10 Subwoofer , Velodyne Wiconnect 10 Wireless Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 8 8 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 10 10 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 12 12 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 15 15 Subwoofer , Velodyne

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page