* Offical Velodyne Support Thread * - Page 333 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes
post #9961 of 9968 Old 03-13-2015, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
I've got an HGS-15 that's about 15 years old. It had the "popping/clicking" problem in 2009 and I sent it back to Velodyne for re-work. FF to today and it's started to exhibit a modulated whining/whistling noise - fairly quiet, but noticable - whenever it is on. The whine appears to be coming from the cone, not the electronics - but it could just be I hear it more from the front of the box. It also seems independent of the volume on the control panel.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting before I have to look into sending it back (again) for service? I've got electronic test gear, but no oscilloscope.

Thanks!

(note: sample of sound is attached)
This is not a sound I am familiar with. It is normal to hear a bit of noise in a quiet room if you put your head down near the subwoofer, but you should not hear anything from 2-3 feet away. I would recommend sending this information to service@velodyne.com

You can also let them know:
Does changing the volume on the subwoofer make a difference in the loudness of the noise
Does removing the input cables from the back of the subwoofer make a difference
Does tapping on the cone make a difference
Does the sound go away while music is playing

When in comes to audio there are seldom right and wrong answers.  The opinions of "experts" are just that, and should be used as a suggestion only.  Remember at the end of the day it is your money, your system, and you will need to listen to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9962 of 9968 Old 03-13-2015, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the suggestion - I'll send them a note. It's definitely independent of source (with or without input) and volume (without source I can crank the volume to max and they're no change in white volume). I'll check the others and send them on.
post #9963 of 9968 Old 03-13-2015, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Morse View Post
This is one of those areas I recommend experimenting to find your best results. I would think that 15 Hz with a 12 db slope would be fine, however you can try 10 or 5 with 24 db/octave slopes.

These converters can work, remember to use a straight through extension cable between the subwoofer and the adaptor. The standard crossover cables will cause the unit to go through all the updating steps, but never actually update.
Just a quick update that I got the serial-to-USB converter and cable, downloaded the firmware file, installed it, and everything is great.

THANKS!
post #9964 of 9968 Old 03-14-2015, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxxxx View Post
Just a quick update that I got the serial-to-USB converter and cable, downloaded the firmware file, installed it, and everything is great.

THANKS!
good to hear

When in comes to audio there are seldom right and wrong answers.  The opinions of "experts" are just that, and should be used as a suggestion only.  Remember at the end of the day it is your money, your system, and you will need to listen to it.
post #9965 of 9968 Old 03-15-2015, 04:42 PM

Liked: 0
My cht12r just stopped turning on

I am coming here in a situation where i can not afford to buy a new subwoofer. I really want to fix this one.

I bought a veldodyne cht-12r in 2004. Recently it started making crackeling noices randomly. After a few more times of useage it no longer would turn on at all.

I really want to get this repaired but I don't think going to a store will be worth it. When i turn on the power switch in the back it does not seem to turn on at all. Tried spaming the light button on the remote, changing remote batteries, using the auto-on thing, using another power outlet. Anyone have some tip for me?
post #9966 of 9968 Old 03-15-2015, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tottycs View Post
I am coming here in a situation where i can not afford to buy a new subwoofer. I really want to fix this one.

I bought a veldodyne cht-12r in 2004. Recently it started making crackeling noices randomly. After a few more times of useage it no longer would turn on at all.

I really want to get this repaired but I don't think going to a store will be worth it. When i turn on the power switch in the back it does not seem to turn on at all. Tried spaming the light button on the remote, changing remote batteries, using the auto-on thing, using another power outlet. Anyone have some tip for me?
The problem is most likely in the electronics pack and it can be replaced. As this is an international model you could purchase the electronics from your local Velodyne distributor, or you could contact Velodyne (service@velodyne.com) and purchase the electronics from them. If you choose the later, you will be responsible for shipping and importation taxes and fees.

post #9967 of 9968 Old 03-21-2015, 10:50 PM

Hi Rob, I have a DPS-12 that recently died on me from a power surge. Upon troubleshooting I have noticed damage to the amplification board, in particular R801, R802, C801 is swelling, C806 burnt, and well as MOSPECs TIP29C & TIP30B, I have an electronics degree and feel pretty comfortable replacing these components, but I am hoping you can give me service manual or schematic/component description guide as TIP29C comes in a few forms. I have also emailed velodyne service to inquire about a replacement, but I believe I will be moving forward with the repair if you are able to help me out.

Thanks in advance.
post #9968 of 9968 Unread Today, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmjr82 View Post
Hi Rob, I have a DPS-12 that recently died on me from a power surge. Upon troubleshooting I have noticed damage to the amplification board, in particular R801, R802, C801 is swelling, C806 burnt, and well as MOSPECs TIP29C & TIP30B, I have an electronics degree and feel pretty comfortable replacing these components, but I am hoping you can give me service manual or schematic/component description guide as TIP29C comes in a few forms. I have also emailed velodyne service to inquire about a replacement, but I believe I will be moving forward with the repair if you are able to help me out.

Thanks in advance.
I will look though my files to see what I have, in the mean time please PM me your email address and I will send you what I can find.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Velodyne Acoustics , Velodyne Impact 10 10 Subwoofer , Velodyne Wiconnect 10 Wireless Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 8 8 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 10 10 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 12 12 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 15 15 Subwoofer , Velodyne

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page