* Offical Velodyne Support Thread * - Page 337 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 43Likes

post #10081 of 10524 Old 08-10-2015, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Morse View Post
It is odd, it used to be on the same page as the Digital Drive software update, but now it is gone. I also note the page is hiden and not easily found on the website. I will send a note to their web team, meanwhile you might contact service@velodyne.com to see if they can provide the file. I want to say the latest version is 2.1.4

Thanks Rob!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10082 of 10524 Old 08-10-2015, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well not so good news back from velodyne support.

Here is what I was emailed:

"Hello Mike,

Sorry, the SMS-1 update has been found to cause distortion and has since been removed. It is no longer available.

The Velodyne Audio Product Support Team"

I am using Danley Dts-10s and really wanted to set the subsonic filter to 12Hz. I guess 15hz is better than 20hz (I was using a qsc dsp-30).

Does anyone still happen to have version 2.1.3 they downloaded on there computer somewhere?

Now I'm running version 2.1. Isn't the reason 2.1.3 was released was because the original software (2.1) was causing distortion?

post #10083 of 10524 Old 08-10-2015, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcallister View Post

"Hello Mike,

Sorry, the SMS-1 update has been found to cause distortion and has since been removed. It is no longer available.

I am using Danley Dts-10s and really wanted to set the subsonic filter to 12Hz. I guess 15hz is better than 20hz (I was using a qsc dsp-30).

Does anyone still happen to have version 2.1.3 they downloaded on there computer somewhere?

Now I'm running version 2.1. Isn't the reason 2.1.3 was released was because the original software (2.1) was causing distortion?
Well that totally sucks, especially since there's no way to roll back to an earlier version. Are they working on fixing this problem and releasing a new update?

post #10084 of 10524 Old 08-11-2015, 02:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxxxx View Post
Well that totally sucks, especially since there's no way to roll back to an earlier version. Are they working on fixing this problem and releasing a new update?
They didn't say. Maybe Rob can chime in?

There are still a good amount of SMS-1s in the wild, hopefully Velodyne doesn't just abandon there customers.

post #10085 of 10524 Old 08-11-2015, 05:37 AM

Quote:
They didn't say. Maybe Rob can chime in?

There are still a good amount of SMS-1s in the wild, hopefully Velodyne doesn't just abandon there customers.
I'm pretty sure that Rob told me that before I updated to 2.1.4.

I agree. I hope they don't leave us hanging.
post #10086 of 10524 Old 08-11-2015, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 9062
wrong thread

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.

ELJR's "listening" blog.

Last edited by eljr; 08-13-2015 at 04:28 AM.
post #10087 of 10524 Old 08-11-2015, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Quote:

"Hello Mike,

I received the same response. I do know that there was an increase in complaints of folks having an issue with distortion after upgrading to 2.1.4, though testing on the part of Velodyne never was able to prove this was the case. Apparently enough of a trend even if unsubstantiated through testing, was enough of a reason to remove the update from the website. I have put in a request for 2.1.3 to be put up, and will see where that goes.

From memory most of the updates from 2.1 had to do with Crestron controller updates, enabling the ability to drop the subsonic filter to dangerously low levels, and the ability to master slave SMS-1 units together. None of these were "mission critical".

When in comes to audio there are seldom right and wrong answers.  The opinions of "experts" are just that, and should be used as a suggestion only.  Remember at the end of the day it is your money, your system, and you will need to listen to it.
post #10088 of 10524 Old 08-11-2015, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was able to find 2.1.3 and uploaded it into my SMS successfully! Let me know if anyone needs it and I can send you the link.

post #10089 of 10524 Old 08-11-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
I was able to find 2.1.3 and uploaded it into my SMS successfully! Let me know if anyone needs it and I can send you the link.
You're not saying that you were able to roll back to 2.1.3 right? You went to 2.1.3 from an earlier firmware level - correct?

Thanks.
post #10090 of 10524 Old 08-12-2015, 02:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You're not saying that you were able to roll back to 2.1.3 right? You went to 2.1.3 from an earlier firmware level - correct?

Thanks.

No I didn't roll back. I bought a used SMS-1 that had 2.1 installed.

I'd assume even if your at 2.1.4 if you tried to upload 2.1.3 it would work?

The link for 2.1.3 is on outlaw audios SMS-1 page. The page may be hidden but you can search for it in google.

post #10091 of 10524 Old 08-12-2015, 05:05 AM

Rob,

Can you refresh me on the roll back? Is it possible to go back to an earlier firmware? My recollection is that you cannot.

Thanks.
post #10092 of 10524 Old 08-13-2015, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Hello, I have 2 Velodyne ULD-15 Series II subs with matching amps I like them a lot. They have a built in LP crossover @ 85Hz. Is it possible to remove that crossover? My surround processors want to handle the x-over themselves and I end up with double attenuation in some cases. I always use LFE out from preamp, the highpass section of the sub is irrelevant to me. I know you could originally replace some resistors to modify the xover points and slopes, I just want to remove it all together. Any thoughts or help?

Thanks

Home Theater: Emotiva UMC-200, Citation 5.1 running Mirage M-3SIs, Harman Kardon signature 2.1 running Mirage M-CSI (center) & 4x BIC V-52 (surrounds), Samson S1000 (545 watts x2) running 2 SVS CS-Ultra subs, PS3, PS4, XBOX 1, 2x Adcom ACE-515, Sony HW45ES projector w/ 125" tab tensioned screen or Vizio E-701B-3 - 70"
2.0 setup: Schiit Freya Tube Preamp, Citation 5.1, Mirage M3SIs, Onkyo DV-CP702 (CD transport), Schiit Modi Multibit DAC.
post #10093 of 10524 Old 08-13-2015, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
While we are on the subject of ULD 15s, who replaces the surrounds these days?
post #10094 of 10524 Old 08-13-2015, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimafm View Post
Do you mean, where do you take it? Both mine were redone in the last few years, I had 1 done in Portland, OR, the other was done shortly before I bought it around Seattle somewhere.

Home Theater: Emotiva UMC-200, Citation 5.1 running Mirage M-3SIs, Harman Kardon signature 2.1 running Mirage M-CSI (center) & 4x BIC V-52 (surrounds), Samson S1000 (545 watts x2) running 2 SVS CS-Ultra subs, PS3, PS4, XBOX 1, 2x Adcom ACE-515, Sony HW45ES projector w/ 125" tab tensioned screen or Vizio E-701B-3 - 70"
2.0 setup: Schiit Freya Tube Preamp, Citation 5.1, Mirage M3SIs, Onkyo DV-CP702 (CD transport), Schiit Modi Multibit DAC.
post #10095 of 10524 Old 08-14-2015, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Rob,

Can you refresh me on the roll back? Is it possible to go back to an earlier firmware? My recollection is that you cannot.

Thanks.
It is not possible to roll back the firmware.

When in comes to audio there are seldom right and wrong answers.  The opinions of "experts" are just that, and should be used as a suggestion only.  Remember at the end of the day it is your money, your system, and you will need to listen to it.
post #10096 of 10524 Old 08-14-2015, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1138 View Post
Hello, I have 2 Velodyne ULD-15 Series II subs with matching amps I like them a lot. They have a built in LP crossover @ 85Hz. Is it possible to remove that crossover? My surround processors want to handle the x-over themselves and I end up with double attenuation in some cases. I always use LFE out from preamp, the highpass section of the sub is irrelevant to me. I know you could originally replace some resistors to modify the xover points and slopes, I just want to remove it all together. Any thoughts or help?

Thanks
It is possible to modify the cross-overs or remove them. PM me your email address and I will forward you the service manual.

post #10097 of 10524 Old 08-14-2015, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimafm View Post
There are many places that can replace the surround on the drivers, however only two places that Velodyne recommends due to the unique nature of the ULD drivers which require special handling. Velodyne recommends www.speakersaver.com and www.speakerrepair.com, best of luck to you.

It should be noted that neither location is an authorized repair facility or associated with Velodyne Accoustics. The recommendation is not intended as an endorsement or a guarantee of their work. These recommendations are made solely based from reported user experiences and not from any vetting by Velodyne Accoustics.

post #10098 of 10524 Old 08-14-2015, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I've got a Velodyne Microvee.

* I use it to mix and Master Music alot and have found that it can get quite hot during 15-20 min playtime, (needs a new woofer now).

What I'd like to ask is there a fuse I can install inline with the woofer and amp that will shut off the woofer at a certain temp before it reaches excessive temperatures, usually in 15 mins (after the amp shuts off) the subs cone is quite hot to the touch, My gains and crossover are low (crosser cuts off 80hz up).

I don't use the sub to play loudly, just enough volume to play and adjust a track. I have my onboard Audio card crossed at 100hz as well.

Is there a part I can use from Digikey or Part express or other recomended that I can install inline with the sub to shut it off thermally before it reaches those excessive temp, the amp is 1000watts and I can see how it reaches those temps, as well it is only a 6.5" woofer, but it has a very transparent sound that helps with differentiating different freq's when tuning etc.

I've found some thermal magnetic circuit breakers, could one be installed inline the amp and speaker, these are supposed to use heat as a source to trip the circuit etc. They seem to be built very well.

Apprently they're used in studio's (from what I've read on forums) to prevent speakers from blowing etc.

Last edited by theatredaz; 08-15-2015 at 07:56 AM.
post #10099 of 10524 Old 08-14-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
It is possible to modify the cross-overs or remove them. PM me your email address and I will forward you the service manual.
Thanks, can you think of any reason that removing the cross-over would be a bad idea? Assuming it is always used with modern a pre-pro.

Thanks again.

Last edited by brad1138; 08-14-2015 at 02:47 PM.
post #10100 of 10524 Old 08-15-2015, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatredaz View Post
I've got a Velodyne Microvee.

* I use it to mix and Master Music alot and have found that it can get quite hot during 15-20 min playtime, (needs a new woofer now).

What I'd like to ask is there a fuse I can install inline with the woofer and amp that will shut off the woofer at a certain temp before it reaches excessive temperatures, usually in 15 mins (after the amp shuts off) the subs cone is quite hot to the touch, My gains and crossover are low (crosser cuts off 80hz up).

I don't use the sub to play loudly, just enough volume to play and adjust a track. I have my onboard Audio card crossed at 100hz as well.

Is there a part I can use from Digikey or Part express or other recomended that I can install inline with the sub to shut it off thermally before it reaches those excessive temp, the amp is 1000watts and I can see how it reaches those temps, as well it is only a 6.5" woofer, but it has a very transparent sound that helps with differentiating different freq's when tuning etc.

I've found some thermal magnetic circuit breakers, could one be installed inline the amp and speaker, these are supposed to use heat as a source to trip the circuit etc. They seem to be built very well.

Apprently they're used in studio's (from what I've read on forums) to prevent speakers from blowing etc.
If this subwoofer is getting that hot then there is something else going on. Thought this is a high output amplifier, it is also highly efficient at over 98%. Very little energy is wasted as heat The entire aluminum cabinet serves as a heat sink for the subwoofer. Under normal use there is no way for a properly funtioning Micro-Vee to act as you describe.

I recommend contacting service@velodyne.com so that they can issue a Return Authorization to inspect the whole subwoofer. Let them know of the driver problems as well as the heat issue.

post #10101 of 10524 Old 08-15-2015, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1138 View Post
Thanks, can you think of any reason that removing the cross-over would be a bad idea? Assuming it is always used with modern a pre-pro.

Thanks again.
As long as you are using an LFE or Subwoofer output there is no problem defeating the cross-over.
brad1138 likes this.

post #10102 of 10524 Old 08-15-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
If this subwoofer is getting that hot then there is something else going on. Thought this is a high output amplifier, it is also highly efficient at over 98%. Very little energy is wasted as heat The entire aluminum cabinet serves as a heat sink for the subwoofer. Under normal use there is no way for a properly funtioning Micro-Vee to act as you describe.

I recommend contacting service@velodyne.com so that they can issue a Return Authorization to inspect the whole subwoofer. Let them know of the driver problems as well as the heat issue.
The subwoofer and Plate amp are brand new. Out of warranty now, but the woofer does get hot to the touch, could it be I'm plugged into a power surge protector that might not supply enough current to the amp itself possibly? I assume it is an efficient amp so I do not know how it draws current from the wall, compared to a surge supressor, which it's plugged into right now, standard Belkin Model etc.
post #10103 of 10524 Old 08-16-2015, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Folks,

I've got a 5 year old DLS5000r that stopped working recently. It's got some 'lights on but nobody home' symptoms, in that the blue LED lights up and responds to the remote, and it indicates that it is increasing/decreasing the volume level, but it never makes a peep. I applied a low level signal to the driver itself, and it does make sound, so I'm pretty convinced that the issue is in the plate amp. When I take a close look at the amp it seems to be in pristine condition. Without disassembling it I cannot see anything obvious that is wrong.

I'd like to manually feed a signal into the power amp board to see if that section works, but I don't know which pins to use. There are 2 groups of pins at one corner where the preamp board connects to the poweramp board, so I'm presuming that's the spot. Is there a schematic available on-line for this amp?

Thanks.
post #10104 of 10524 Old 08-18-2015, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Hi,

Is the Velodyne support down?

I contacted Jeffrey, whom I had been in contact before, on July 12, 2015 to get info on the IR input port on the legacy DD subwoofers - no reponse.

I contacted him again on July 25, 2015, because I have a problem controlling one of my DD-12 subwoofers through RS-232 - no response.

I re-sent the message from July 25 on July 30, adding service@velodyne.com to the recipients - no response.

I filled the online feedback form on their website, I think this was ten days ago - no response.

What the h### is going on here?

Thanks!

Markus
post #10105 of 10524 Old 08-19-2015, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatredaz View Post
The subwoofer and Plate amp are brand new. Out of warranty now, but the woofer does get hot to the touch, could it be I'm plugged into a power surge protector that might not supply enough current to the amp itself possibly? I assume it is an efficient amp so I do not know how it draws current from the wall, compared to a surge supressor, which it's plugged into right now, standard Belkin Model etc.

Sorry for the delayed response. There is no difference in how the subwoofer draws current from the wall vs through a surge suppressor plugged into the wall. If the subwoofer and amp are brand new, how are they out of warranty? The warranty on the subwoofer should be two years from the date of purchase from an authorized dealer. Even if these were serviced recently by Velodyne, they would warranty the service for a year.

post #10106 of 10524 Old 08-19-2015, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Moynihan View Post
Hi Folks,

I've got a 5 year old DLS5000r that stopped working recently. It's got some 'lights on but nobody home' symptoms, in that the blue LED lights up and responds to the remote, and it indicates that it is increasing/decreasing the volume level, but it never makes a peep. I applied a low level signal to the driver itself, and it does make sound, so I'm pretty convinced that the issue is in the plate amp. When I take a close look at the amp it seems to be in pristine condition. Without disassembling it I cannot see anything obvious that is wrong.

I'd like to manually feed a signal into the power amp board to see if that section works, but I don't know which pins to use. There are 2 groups of pins at one corner where the preamp board connects to the poweramp board, so I'm presuming that's the spot. Is there a schematic available on-line for this amp?

Thanks.
This particular amplifier does not have a schematic that has been released for distribution as it is still used in current production of other models. Your symptoms would indicate an issue with the amplifier portion of the subwoofer, service@velodyne.com would be able to assist you with having the entire amplifier panel replaced. Unfortunately they do not provide guidance to trouble shooting as they do not repair these on the component level, everything is just board replacement.

post #10107 of 10524 Old 08-19-2015, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mv038856 View Post
Hi,

Is the Velodyne support down?

I contacted Jeffrey, whom I had been in contact before, on July 12, 2015 to get info on the IR input port on the legacy DD subwoofers - no reponse.

I contacted him again on July 25, 2015, because I have a problem controlling one of my DD-12 subwoofers through RS-232 - no response.

I re-sent the message from July 25 on July 30, adding service@velodyne.com to the recipients - no response.

I filled the online feedback form on their website, I think this was ten days ago - no response.

What the h### is going on here?

Thanks!

Markus

I am very sorry to hear of your experience, I just spoke with Quang who heads customer support at Velodyne and there is no Jeffery working at Velodyne, not for at least a year now. Quang has been alerted to your plight and would like for you to try resending the email to service@velodyne.com . Also you can PM me your phone number if you would like me to forward it to him.

post #10108 of 10524 Old 08-19-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Sorry for the delayed response. There is no difference in how the subwoofer draws current from the wall vs through a surge suppressor plugged into the wall. If the subwoofer and amp are brand new, how are they out of warranty? The warranty on the subwoofer should be two years from the date of purchase from an authorized dealer. Even if these were serviced recently by Velodyne, they would warranty the service for a year.
The amp and woofer where replaced twice within the 2 warranty period, so it is now out of warranty. It was August 2013 on the sticker after it was replaced, they replaced the woofer about a year afterwards, Last May 2014, so they said it is out of warranty, but I will look into to confirm the actual 1 year period from the last date they repaired it.

I'd be willing to install a thermal curcuit breaker if you can suggest one, I've heard studios do this in their monitors to keep them from constantly blowing woofers etc, although tweeters use a different approach, but thermal circuit breakers might be something I'd need to install if necessary, cause the sub can get hot to the touch after 10-15 mins etc, though the amp shuts it off no issues, the excess heat already heats the Woofers voice coil, so I let it cool down for 10 mins, I've done this several times but would like for the woofer to shut off before it reaches those temps.
post #10109 of 10524 Old 08-20-2015, 06:43 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
This particular amplifier does not have a schematic that has been released for distribution as it is still used in current production.....
Thanks for the response, Rob. At least it's still in current production, so there should be no problem getting parts. I guess I'll send it off for fixin'.
post #10110 of 10524 Old 08-22-2015, 12:34 AM

Liked: 0
Hello there good folks,

I have a Velodyne HGS10BGE. Manufactured in sep 15, 2000. #60259505 .

Now, I havent used it for awhile since it starts to hammer hard for about five minutes everytime I turn the power on. Then it calmes itself down. But still have a very low hum or more like a sound like wind through a tunnel, still very low dB though.

To my questions, I have opened it and checked visually throughout. Nothing seams out of order. But I start to think the problem has something to do with the servo/control.

1. How can I make sure that the piezomic is in fixed place and working proparly?
2. Does these issues emply other faults?
3. Who else could fix this?
4. Whats the cost for a newer version of this sub?

I am very fond of the HGS for its size and output, I would like to get it running again.

Thanks again for a great forum.
/pml
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Velodyne Acoustics , Velodyne Impact 10 10 Subwoofer , Velodyne Wiconnect 10 Wireless Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 8 8 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 10 10 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 12 12 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 15 15 Subwoofer , Velodyne

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page