* Offical Velodyne Support Thread * - Page 342 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 25Likes

post #10231 of 10250 Old 07-15-2016, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
You should hear the tone sweep on your main speakers.
If you don't have a line level subwoofer output on your preamp, why not use the speaker level inputs to the DD-12?
If it were me, I would not put anything in parallel with the amplifier inputs from the preamp. At the very least, you are reducing the effective impedance on the preamp output circuit. Have you connected a sub this way before? Maybe others could comment on this point.

love that DSD direct decoding
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10232 of 10250 Old 07-16-2016, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by davee70 View Post
You should hear the tone sweep on your main speakers.
If you don't have a line level subwoofer output on your preamp, why not use the speaker level inputs to the DD-12?
If it were me, I would not put anything in parallel with the amplifier inputs from the preamp. At the very least, you are reducing the effective impedance on the preamp output circuit. Have you connected a sub this way before? Maybe others could comment on this point.
I have not had a sub woofer before. My goal was to not have an equalizer in the circuit to my main speakers as this could veil the sound.

Do you think that using the speaker inputs to the
DD12 could somehow restore the sweep tone? Or is your comment an aside?

The main speakers sound fine the way I have them connected. I will A/B the Main speakers with and without the DD12 in parallel to determine if the impedance change is causing any unwanted equalization. I expect it to only cause a 6db lowering of sound pressure which I can correct by turning up the volume.

I suspect the loss of the sweep tone is a software problem. If so I am hoping to find a way to reset the software. I haven't tried 8-9-0 yet. I will try that in two weeks when I return from vacation. Thanks for your interest.
post #10233 of 10250 Old 07-16-2016, 01:23 PM

So, if I follow you, the reason you are running things in parallel is because you think to do it the usual way will somehow "veil" the sound from your main speakers. Is that it?

I can say from experience that it is much better to high-pass the signal to your speakers so they don't interfere with your subwoofer, depending on how full range your speakers are. Using the high-pass filter in the DD-12 will do the job but there are custom made analog filters you can also obtain, such as those made by Marchand. However those will cost you $. I would not worry so much about filtering since it takes a load off both your amp and your main speakers giving you more headroom and better sound from your speakers. Try that and see if you don't also hear the tone sweep too.

post #10234 of 10250 Old 07-16-2016, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Color me confused.

I send the LFE signal to my DD15 and run the subs eq and then run the AVR's eq. using the AVR's crossover not the subs.

There is no equalized signal going back to the main speakers from the sub.
post #10235 of 10250 Old 07-16-2016, 02:12 PM

No, because your AVR is doing the work. It sends a high-passed signal from each channel to your amp/speakers and a low-passed signal to your sub's LFE input, assuming you have your speakers set to "small". That's what a crossover does, the hi-pass to one place and the lo-pass to another.

post #10236 of 10250 Old 07-16-2016, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No, because your AVR is doing the work. It sends a high-passed signal from each channel to your amp/speakers and a low-passed signal to your sub's LFE input, assuming you have your speakers set to "small". That's what a crossover does, the hi-pass to one place and the lo-pass to another.
So he's sending a pre out unfiltered to his sub and using the sub's crossover.

Is he sending the signal back to the main amp via the sub's high filtered at 80hz rca outputs to line in on the amp?

Still not getting the idea of any of that would "veil" the sound.

To the contrary, if he was sending the high passed signal back to the main amp he'd relieve the amp of having to deal with the lower frequencies.

The line output from the sub to the amp only has one "filter" applied to it and that is the crossover.
post #10237 of 10250 Old 07-16-2016, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Is it OK to ask a general question about a Velodyne sub here?

If so, I was wondering how the Velodyne CHT-10R compares with modern $300-$400 subs, such as the Klipsch R-12SW.

Thank you.
post #10238 of 10250 Old 07-16-2016, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
So, if I follow you, the reason you are running things in parallel is because you think to do it the usual way will somehow "veil" the sound from your main speakers. Is that it?

I can say from experience that it is much better to high-pass the signal to your speakers so they don't interfere with your subwoofer, depending on how full range your speakers are. Using the high-pass filter in the DD-12 will do the job but there are custom made analog filters you can also obtain, such as those made by Marchand. However those will cost you $. I would not worry so much about filtering since it takes a load off both your amp and your main speakers giving you more headroom and better sound from your speakers. Try that and see if you don't also hear the tone sweep too.
Don't worry, I plan to try out the various ways of hooking up the sub after I get the damn sweep tone to come out of the Eq out terminals of the sub.

There is a note in the trouble shooting section of the manual that suggests connecting the Eq out to the LFEin for testing. That leads me to believe that during setup the sweep signal is supposed to go directly to the preamp input and then be passed to both the sub and the main speaker amp from the preamp output. If I don't get the signal to the preamp then the sub loses the signal as well. If that is true then I don't understand why I was originally able to hear the sweep tone on only the sub until I muted the sub and lost the sweep tone forevermore in manual setup mode. And I also don't understand why I can get a sweep tone out of only the woofer during the self Eq process.

Do any of you guys actually have a DD sub and actually understand the signal paths during self Eq and manual Eq?
post #10239 of 10250 Old 07-17-2016, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickp01 View Post

Do any of you guys actually have a DD sub and actually understand the signal paths during self Eq and manual Eq?
Yes, I have a DD15 and only used the sub EQ microphone to EQ the sub.

I used the Denon AVR's microphone to EQ the other speakers and then manually adjusted those as Audyssey set the center too low and the surrounds too high for my tastes.

I EQ'd the sub as per page 8 of the manual.

Not complicated.

https://velodyne.com/pdf/digitaldriv...anual_revg.pdf

Installation – Quick Start
To set up and take advantage of the EQ features in your new Digital Drive subwoofer in the least
amount of time, perform the following steps:
1. Unpack the subwoofer and connect the power cable.
2. Connect an LFE input cable from your receiver/processor to the input jack. For other hookup options,
see step 2, on the following page.
3. Power up the unit and ensure that it is receiving signal from your receiver (i.e. playing bass).
4. Connect the microphone (in the accessory kit) and place it in your favorite listening position. Then press
3-2-1 on the remote.
5. The unit should emit 25 “sweep” tones then restart and play normally. The subwoofer has now
automatically EQ’d itself to your room.
6. Adjust the subwoofer’s volume to taste.
post #10240 of 10250 Old 07-17-2016, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YonathanZ View Post
Is it OK to ask a general question about a Velodyne sub here?

If so, I was wondering how the Velodyne CHT-10R compares with modern $300-$400 subs, such as the Klipsch R-12SW.

Thank you.
It plays down to the same 28/29hz as the Klipsch and has the advantages of having a remote which most subs other than Velodyne lack.

To get a better sub than the CHT-10R you'd need one that plays down to 20hz if not lower.

Rhythmik, SVS or HSU subs play lower than that Klipsch for about the same money.
post #10241 of 10250 Old 07-17-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
It plays down to the same 28/29hz as the Klipsch and has the advantages of having a remote which most subs other than Velodyne lack.

To get a better sub than the CHT-10R you'd need one that plays down to 20hz if not lower.

Rhythmik, SVS or HSU subs play lower than that Klipsch for about the same money.
Couldn't find them used in my country, though. New, it's $850 for a PB-1000, which is $350 more than my budget allows.
post #10242 of 10250 Old 07-17-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickp01 View Post
Don't worry, I plan to try out the various ways of hooking up the sub after I get the damn sweep tone to come out of the Eq out terminals of the sub.

There is a note in the trouble shooting section of the manual that suggests connecting the Eq out to the LFEin for testing. That leads me to believe that during setup the sweep signal is supposed to go directly to the preamp input and then be passed to both the sub and the main speaker amp from the preamp output. If I don't get the signal to the preamp then the sub loses the signal as well. If that is true then I don't understand why I was originally able to hear the sweep tone on only the sub until I muted the sub and lost the sweep tone forevermore in manual setup mode. And I also don't understand why I can get a sweep tone out of only the woofer during the self Eq process.

So you do have the manual.
I have two DD's, a 12 and a 15. There is no difference in the signal paths whether you are doing an auto EQ or a manual one.
You may be losing the signal to your speakers because you are splitting the pre-out between the DD and your amp and one may have a lower input impedance than the other.
Running the DD-out back to your amp is your best bet if I understand your situation.
Experimentation is a good thing once you get the sweep tone working the way it's supposed to: sub placement, crossover frequency, and crossover slope to achieve the best integration with your speakers. Only then should you consider applying EQ, manual or otherwise, if needed to reduce any excessive room resonance modes.
BTW, a crossover is not the same thing as an equalizer.

post #10243 of 10250 Old 07-17-2016, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Couldn't find them used in my country, though. New, it's $850 for a PB-1000, which is $350 more than my budget allows.
Well, if it is the difference between an old sub and a new sub take that into account as well as Sub Amps and/or foam surrounds have been known to fail on older subs.

Took the amp on my Velodyne ULD15 about 20 years to fail and the woofer was still in perfect shape though.
post #10244 of 10250 Old 07-17-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Well, if it is the difference between an old sub and a new sub take that into account as well as Sub Amps and/or foam surrounds have been known to fail on older subs.

Took the amp on my Velodyne ULD15 about 20 years to fail and the woofer was still in perfect shape though.
So can we make a generalization like staying away from subwoofers that are x years old?
post #10245 of 10250 Old 07-17-2016, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So can we make a generalization like staying away from subwoofers that are x years old?
10 years old I would stay away from unless it was dirt cheap.

I'd expect to pay half price or less for a 5 year old sub.
post #10246 of 10250 Old 07-17-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
10 years old I would stay away from unless it was dirt cheap.

I'd expect to pay half price or less for a 5 year old sub.
Thank you, I see many 10-12 year old subs on sale for $500. This should help me eliminate bad options.
post #10247 of 10250 Old 07-18-2016, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thank you, I see many 10-12 year old subs on sale for $500. This should help me eliminate bad options.
That's crazy a brand new SVS PB1000 or SB1000 is that price.

One plays down to 19hz the other to 24hz.
post #10248 of 10250 Old 07-18-2016, 08:08 AM

Quote:
That's crazy a brand new SVS PB1000 or SB1000 is that price.

One plays down to 19hz the other to 24hz.
True, but I'm not from the US. A PB-1000 is $830 and other subs have a higher percentage of difference in their price. For example, the $350 R-12SW is $1100 here. Most retailers here are super greedy, that's why many people just import expensive stuff on their own.
post #10249 of 10250 Old 07-21-2016, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Had an interesting problem with a redeployed ~25yo S-1200 servo woofer. At new location it was ticking whenever powered on.

Did a lot of trouble shooting looking for bad capacitors etc.

The problem was that it was near a WiFi router. Relocated and problem solved. [Was close to tossing it.]
azz7686 likes this.
post #10250 of 10250 Old Today, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Velodyne VRP10 repair

Hello, after a bad storm last week, I found that my Velodyne sub was not working. I've had it for at least 7 or 8 years and love it. I'd like to see what I can do to get it repaired. I spoke with Velodyne service but the quote to send it back for an amp replacement was not worth it. I took the back off last night and found two small fuses that appear to be blown (T4AL-250V).

I would appreciate any info or suggestions anyone has as to whether a simple replacement of these two fuses could work or if a power surge could cause other damage. Also, the one fuse was set in its cradle fairly easy but the other one was at an angle b/c the metal cradles were loose/bent a bit.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Velodyne Acoustics , Velodyne Impact 10 10 Subwoofer , Velodyne Wiconnect 10 Wireless Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 8 8 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 10 10 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 12 12 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 15 15 Subwoofer , Velodyne

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page