* Offical Velodyne Support Thread * - Page 343 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

post #10261 of 10274 Old 08-13-2016, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post
Thanks Rich.

It seems like the master will only pass the signal when it receives it via RCA. I will co firm with Velodyne. If that is the case it will have to get some new cabling.
For a quick or temporary shortcut, you might consider a balanced to RCA adapter.

Eschew obfuscation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10262 of 10274 Old 08-13-2016, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoThere View Post
For a quick or temporary shortcut, you might consider a balanced to RCA adapter.
Great minds think alike.

The issue is with the run between the subs since that is 50 ft. I have a nice unbalanced subwoofer cable to go between the processor and the master.

David M.
post #10263 of 10274 Old 08-13-2016, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a question on the older ULD-15 series. I bought a fair amount of equipment from a late friends estate. One of the items was a ULD-15SA. Long story short, the controller made it to me, but the sub is MIA. Looking to find a replacement and I see ULD-15SA, ULD-15, ULD-15W, etc. What are the differences between these? The servo controller I received and the sub I was supposed to get (definitely an "SA") both have RCA jacks for the controller.

Any help appreciated. I searched here but did not find an answer. Thanks!
post #10264 of 10274 Old 08-14-2016, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtKen View Post
I have a question on the older ULD-15 series. I bought a fair amount of equipment from a late friends estate. One of the items was a ULD-15SA. Long story short, the controller made it to me, but the sub is MIA. Looking to find a replacement and I see ULD-15SA, ULD-15, ULD-15W, etc. What are the differences between these? The servo controller I received and the sub I was supposed to get (definitely an "SA") both have RCA jacks for the controller.

Any help appreciated. I searched here but did not find an answer. Thanks!
I happily owned a ULD15 back in the day but the amp/servo controller failed and I called Velodyne and they no longer had the parts to repair it so you might want to consider simply selling the controller on line.

I'd offer you my subwoofer unit, which was fine, but when I talked to Velodyne they offered me an absolutely killer deal on a DD15 as a replacement but only if I removed the woofer from the cabinet and sent it to them, which I did.

I still have the lovely cabinet as an end table.

Give them a call, they might have a sub banging around in their warehouse who's controller failed they might sell you for cheap.
post #10265 of 10274 Old 08-14-2016, 01:37 PM

Thanks, I'll give them a call- you never know! I suppose they wanted your woofer in order to piece together another sub?
post #10266 of 10274 Old 08-15-2016, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtKen View Post
Thanks, I'll give them a call- you never know! I suppose they wanted your woofer in order to piece together another sub?
No, I think it was to prove I had a ULD15 because they sold me a refurbed DD15 for $1200 and it has been fantastic for 5 years now.

I'm assuming they sold the woofer to someone rather than scrapping it.

At least I hope so!
post #10267 of 10274 Old 08-16-2016, 02:38 AM

Ah, that makes sense if they were offering you a deal.
post #10268 of 10274 Old 08-22-2016, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello. I am trying to troubleshoot a longstanding issue with my Velodyne DSL-R 3750 subwoofer.

I have a Marantz NR1602 receiver feeding this sub, and my front speakers are a pair of Klipsch RF52s. Previously I had a Panasonic receiver.

When I first set up this system, I used the sub-out line from my Panasonic to feed to the LFE IN RCA jack. I never heard any sound from the woofer, including when sending test signals to all lines. At first I thought the sound must just be very subtle, but eventually I decided my receiver (which I had many other problems with) was broken.

So, a couple years ago I replaced it with the Marantz. Again I had sub out from the Marantz feeding into the LFE IN RCA jack. Still no sound! I fiddled with all the buttons and knobs, spend hours reconfiguring the Marantz to make sure it was set up with a sub output. Eventually I got frustrated and I admit I simply let things sit for years.

Recently I became determined to resolve the issue. Assuming something was wrong with the LFE IN jack on the sub, I have instead run speaker-level output from the receiver to the sub, and then from the sub to each of the front speakers.

Sound from the speakers is normal, but there is still no sound from the subwoofer. When I turn up the volume using the remote, the blue light blinks slowly nine times, and then quickly 18 or 19 times. Turning the volume up from there does not seem to do anything - the light blinks, but still the same number of blinks. Turning the sub off using the hard power switch on the back, and then back on, does nothing. Well, once it made a little speaker noise, just a quick "bom" sound, but then nothing.

What is my next step? Presumably my woofer, which was made in 2011, is long out of warranty. Is it broken, or am I doing something wrong?

I have a multimeter but I do not know how to use it to test audio stuff, I just use it for very simple automotive things. If someone can walk me through that, I could test components. I also have some soldering experience, and a year ago I repaired a failed LCD monitor by replacing all of the bulging capacitors, so I'm fairly competent at that sort of repair... just no experience with the innards of audio equipment at all.

Thanks in advance for your help.
post #10269 of 10274 Old 08-22-2016, 08:24 PM

Just to add... I have definitely changed the speaker setup in the Marantz to remove the subwoofer from the config. So, the marantz should not be removing the low signal from the front speaker outputs. I also have the front speakers set to Large, which should ensure a good low bass signal is included in the speaker output channels.
post #10270 of 10274 Old 08-23-2016, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly Hat Jones View Post
Just to add... I have definitely changed the speaker setup in the Marantz to remove the subwoofer from the config. So, the marantz should not be removing the low signal from the front speaker outputs. I also have the front speakers set to Large, which should ensure a good low bass signal is included in the speaker output channels.
Maybe the auto on/off on the sub has failed so try setting the auto on/off to inactive and turn it on manually.

Maybe you are plugging the RCA into the "output" instead of LFE in?

Maybe restore defaults as per page 12 of your manual?

http://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/Ima.../2323500RB.PDF

If none of that works contact Velodyne by phone and likely they will have you remove the amp and send it to them for troubleshooting.
post #10271 of 10274 Old 08-23-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Maybe the auto on/off on the sub has failed so try setting the auto on/off to inactive and turn it on manually.

Maybe you are plugging the RCA into the "output" instead of LFE in?

Maybe restore defaults as per page 12 of your manual?

{link removed so I can post}

If none of that works contact Velodyne by phone and likely they will have you remove the amp and send it to them for troubleshooting.
Hi, thanks for the response!

Auto on/off works as expected - the woofer powers off and on with the receiver when there is a signal - but manually toggling power also does not affect the lack of sound.

I previously verified that I was using the LFE in jack, but I am now using the speaker terminals rather than the RCA terminals.

After posting last night, I followed the steps to reset the woofer. The volume control now seems to work correctly - that is, the woofer's blue light blinks out the volume and changes when I turn it up or down - but still no sound.

It sounds like I'll need to work with Velodyne. Presumably out of warranty. Dang. Is there any way I can test the amp myself? Like I said, I do have a good multimeter, probes, a good soldering iron, etc.
post #10272 of 10274 Old 08-24-2016, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hi, thanks for the response!

Auto on/off works as expected - the woofer powers off and on with the receiver when there is a signal - but manually toggling power also does not affect the lack of sound.

I previously verified that I was using the LFE in jack, but I am now using the speaker terminals rather than the RCA terminals.

After posting last night, I followed the steps to reset the woofer. The volume control now seems to work correctly - that is, the woofer's blue light blinks out the volume and changes when I turn it up or down - but still no sound.

It sounds like I'll need to work with Velodyne. Presumably out of warranty. Dang. Is there any way I can test the amp myself? Like I said, I do have a good multimeter, probes, a good soldering iron, etc.
Bummer.

I'd just call Velodyne and they can walk you through troubleshooting.

Maybe there is an internal fuse as I don't see an external one.
post #10273 of 10274 Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM

My dad and I took apart the woofer and tested it.

The fuse is fine, and using a non-contact probe I determined that power is getting to the transformer and coming out the other side.

Eventually we realized that tugging or pushing on certain components made the woofer work, and finally discovered that flexing the main board about a mm or two towards the transformer consistently makes it work; let go of that board, and it stops working.

So, there's definitely a defective connection in the subwoofer, likely one of the chips that is screwed down to the heatsink where the main board meets the backboard. For now I've used a plastic clamp to hold the main board flexed, but ultimately I'll be trying to identify the specific bad connection and solder it up.

It's disappointing to find a manufacturing defect is the problem, but it's my own fault for just letting this sit for years instead of figuring out what was wrong from the start.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice.
gajCA likes this.
post #10274 of 10274 Old Today, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My dad and I took apart the woofer and tested it.

The fuse is fine, and using a non-contact probe I determined that power is getting to the transformer and coming out the other side.

Eventually we realized that tugging or pushing on certain components made the woofer work, and finally discovered that flexing the main board about a mm or two towards the transformer consistently makes it work; let go of that board, and it stops working.

So, there's definitely a defective connection in the subwoofer, likely one of the chips that is screwed down to the heatsink where the main board meets the backboard. For now I've used a plastic clamp to hold the main board flexed, but ultimately I'll be trying to identify the specific bad connection and solder it up.

It's disappointing to find a manufacturing defect is the problem, but it's my own fault for just letting this sit for years instead of figuring out what was wrong from the start.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice.
You know, calling Velodyne and laying it all out might give you an unexpected positive result.

For all you know that might have been a well known defect of that particular amp that they might stand behind and take care of you.

It certainly wouldn't hurt.

Some smart detective work on your part!

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Velodyne Acoustics , Velodyne Impact 10 10 Subwoofer , Velodyne Wiconnect 10 Wireless Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 8 8 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 10 10 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 12 12 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 15 15 Subwoofer , Velodyne

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page