* Offical Velodyne Support Thread * - Page 349 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36Likes

post #10441 of 10466 Old 04-15-2017, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
I'd give it away to some AVS DIY enthusiast.
Velodyne's customer service is non-existent!

If you're still interested in rescuing your sub and don't mind
dealing with a repair facility across the country. I highly
recommend EBC Electronics.

The owner Paul is great to work with, he's expert in repairing
Velodyne plate amplifiers and he doesn't gouge.

I couldn't be more pleased with his work on my 20-year-old
HGS-12. Paul brought it back to life and it didn't break the bank!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10442 of 10466 Old 04-16-2017, 01:29 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoni_cooling View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilsy View Post
Hi, I'm in Australia and have one of my DD18's that is back in the authorised Velodyne repairer for the second time in less than four months with I'm advised is a fault in the power supply.
The unit operates absolutely fine but the cone squawks a non LFE tone at random, loudly. The first repair fixed it only temporarily. Can you please contact me to issue the circuit diagram / schematics so I can have them rebuild a new power supply?
I was quoted $1000 from Velodyne just for the power supply alone + service fees and freighting and I don't think that's fair. I have four DD units in my theatre..
Can you please assist?
Matt.
a complete (new) amp should cost you around $1000!

Are you sure it's the power supply failing? Those DD's are complicated built with a lot of components, try swapping the amp from another dd see if the problem remains....
No, not the amp module, definitely just the power supply. Of course I am talking Australian dollars. They prefaced it by saying "are you sitting down?" before telling me.

Is it possible to get a copy of the power supply circuit diagram so I can have one built by an electrician please?
post #10443 of 10466 Old 04-16-2017, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
No, not the amp module, definitely just the power supply. Of course I am talking Australian dollars. They prefaced it by saying "are you sitting down?" before telling me.

Is it possible to get a copy of the power supply circuit diagram so I can have one built by an electrician please?
I'm sorry i do not have any drawings!

i'm based in Sweden and i paid 6,500sek for a complete new DD amp and thats about 1000 AUD...

post #10444 of 10466 Old 04-16-2017, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3164 Post(s)
Liked: 1955
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnellKrell View Post
Velodyne's customer service is non-existent!

If you're still interested in rescuing your sub and don't mind
dealing with a repair facility across the country. I highly
recommend EBC Electronics.

The owner Paul is great to work with, he's expert in repairing
Velodyne plate amplifiers and he doesn't gouge.

I couldn't be more pleased with his work on my 20-year-old
HGS-12. Paul brought it back to life and it didn't break the bank!
Thanks; I went with a Velodyne repair center posted on their website, very near to their facility, and assumed they would know what they were doing.

I'm almost $700 in at the moment with a dead sub and don't want to throw good money after bad.

They will be sending a prepaid shipping label for them to take another look at it under warranty.

They asked if it was the driver but the driver worked perfectly during the rather strenuous self EQ that runs at 30 out of 100 in volume/gain and is 25 tonal sweeps that literally shake everything in the room.

My standard volume setting is 10 out of 100 with -9.5db on the AVR trim so the driver is fine IMHO.

Geoff A. J., California
post #10445 of 10466 Old 04-16-2017, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm sorry i do not have any drawings!

i'm based in Sweden and i paid 6,500sek for a complete new DD amp and thats about 1000 AUD...
Another member on here mentioned that DD15 parts, even in the US, are getting harder to find which is just plain ridiculous IMHO.

Geoff A. J., California
post #10446 of 10466 Old 04-16-2017, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Another member on here mentioned that DD15 parts, even in the US, are getting harder to find which is just plain ridiculous IMHO.
The DD amp is sensitive for input gain. you should lower the avr sub output so your playing comfortable volumes at 20-30/100 on the DD.

The support for DD is probably dying...
post #10447 of 10466 Old 04-16-2017, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The DD amp is sensitive for input gain. you should lower the avr sub output so your playing comfortable volumes at 20-30/100 on the DD.

The support for DD is probably dying...
I'm at -9.5, and it only goes down to -12.0db and has been fine for 8 years or so.

At 30 gain in my mid sized room the sub would dominate the other speakers.

Using an SPL meter the sub is about 3db louder than the others already using pink noise.

Room is apporximately 18x12 with 8 foot ceilings and an opening into the kitchen area at the back right of the listening area, so, in reality, not a "small" room.

Geoff A. J., California
post #10448 of 10466 Old 04-17-2017, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Velodyne CHT-10 Preamp section help

Dear Sirs, This is my first post in this site. I am from Argentina and I have a CHT-10 sub (220volts), and it started to make a strange sound. When disassembled, the power supply board provides the required voltages, but when I reconnect the preamp (green board, picture attached below), positive 15v voltage shorts and don't provide the required voltage. Could you please enlight me as to how to repair it? I don´t have official service in my country. Thank you in advance, SCA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6443.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	2089361  
post #10449 of 10466 Old 05-02-2017, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathewfamily View Post
I appreciate the recommendation however I am not sure if I want to sink the money into fixing this just yet. I would like for my son to play around with it, diagnose it as a small project however I would like to be able to help point him in the right direction and not blindly to fail. Has anyone ever heard of a powered sub doing this behavior?
Yes. I (think) I had the same issue when I bought my F1500 new.

The problem is with the servo feedback control. This seems to be mostly with the servo feedback sensor on the woofer. From my understanding this is a NLA part and cannot be fixed or repaired.

Your best bet may be to replace the amp and ignore the servo feedback.

Too bad Velodyne seems to missing in action these days.
post #10450 of 10466 Old 05-18-2017, 06:22 AM

Firmware DD-10

Hello,

I'd like to update my old DD-10, since I've got some Probleme with remote Integration.
There should exist Firmware 2.2.2, which solves some issues. Unfortunately the Firmware link is not available anymore through velodyneaccoustics.
Can someone send me a link or the file please?

Best regards,
Patrick
post #10451 of 10466 Old 05-23-2017, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Update on my DD15 repair.

In addition to the two new resistors and 32 new capacitors they replaced the entire EQ section and it is working great.

Well worth the $675 of so it cost.

Phew.

Geoff A. J., California
post #10452 of 10466 Old 05-26-2017, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
DD-15 noise

My 2005 Velodyne DD-15 has suddenly developed a noise when on and needs service. Last time it needed service in 2007 I took it to Velodyne HQ in Morgan Hill and David Santos repaired it while I waited. It appears HQ no longer provides service. Is there any place in SF Bay Area that repairs these? If not, any recommendations? I'd replace the electronics myself but don't know where to obtain. It is in otherwise great condition. Is it worth repairing? Thanks!
post #10453 of 10466 Old 05-26-2017, 02:54 PM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimp View Post
My 2005 Velodyne DD-15 has suddenly developed a noise when on and needs service. Last time it needed service in 2007 I took it to Velodyne HQ in Morgan Hill and David Santos repaired it while I waited. It appears HQ no longer provides service. Is there any place in SF Bay Area that repairs these? If not, any recommendations? I'd replace the electronics myself but don't know where to obtain. It is in otherwise great condition. Is it worth repairing? Thanks!
The sub-woofer section of Velodyne moved out of the Morgan Hill building. Only the Lidar section is there now.

Sertechelectronics works on Velodyne units in the bay area. They are in San Jose. They have a small shop but they are good.
gimp likes this.
post #10454 of 10466 Old 05-27-2017, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimp View Post
Absolutely; I just had mine repaired for $675 at the Velodyne authorized service center in LA.

Removing the amp to send it to them was easy; just take pictures before unplugging your cables so putting them back is easier.

Removing or replacing the amp in the sub takes 5 minutes.

The first "fix" didn't work, the second "fix" (replacing the entire EQ section) did.

Contact these guys:

George Meyer TV & Stereo
12418 Santa Monica Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90025
Phone: 310-820-1113
Email: GeorgeMeyerAV@gmail.com

http://velodyneacoustics.com/support/service-centers

Geoff A. J., California
post #10455 of 10466 Old 05-28-2017, 05:47 PM

Hi All,

Has anyone got any recommendation of a good Velodyne repair agent in Queensland, Australia? Preferably Brisbane...

After 3 attempts emailing Velodyne with no response at all, my sub sitting with an 'authorised' repair agent locally here for over 3 months who never update me, don't ever have notes against the job, electrical engineers are always 'out' and "welcome to the electronics industry!" type of service I am getting heavily frustrated with my DD18 (one of four that I have!!) not being fixed.

They don't believe it's the amp module and that it's a power supply problem. But now the repair agents have no idea and no resolve.

Any recommendations of agents in Australia will be considered.
Thanks

-- 133" AT 2.35:1 Screen -- JVC X500 -- Oppo UDP-205 -- Cambridge 650R -- 2x KlarkTeknik DN360 G-EQ -- Emotiva XPA-5 -- 3x JTR Triple 12; L,C,R -- 3x Velodyne DD18 + DD15 --
post #10456 of 10466 Old 05-28-2017, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Hi All,

Has anyone got any recommendation of a good Velodyne repair agent in Queensland, Australia? Preferably Brisbane...

After 3 attempts emailing Velodyne with no response at all, my sub sitting with an 'authorised' repair agent locally here for over 3 months who never update me, don't ever have notes against the job, electrical engineers are always 'out' and "welcome to the electronics industry!" type of service I am getting heavily frustrated with my DD18 (one of four that I have!!) not being fixed.

They don't believe it's the amp module and that it's a power supply problem. But now the repair agents have no idea and no resolve.

Any recommendations of agents in Australia will be considered.
Thanks
I wish I could offer real help, but the only thing I can suggest is to call Velodyne directly in the states, and ask them to ship you a new power supply. It's a bummer to see Velodyne's apparent fall, I remember when they were the big boys in the subwoofer market. I still have two 20 year old ones(servo, but not top of the line), one that still works perfectly, the other works, but makes little weird noises in the back ground that are only noticeable in the quiet.

Denon AVR-4520CI
Emotiva XPA Gen3 3 channel
Klipsch RP 280f LR, 260f SR, RC-62 II, RF-82 II SB, RB-61 II wide, RC-10 height
SVS SB12-NSD x4
OPPO UDP-203
TiVo Roamio, sometimes buzzy Samsung Plasma
post #10457 of 10466 Old 05-30-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
I wish I could offer real help, but the only thing I can suggest is to call Velodyne directly in the states, and ask them to ship you a new power supply. It's a bummer to see Velodyne's apparent fall, I remember when they were the big boys in the subwoofer market. I still have two 20 year old ones(servo, but not top of the line), one that still works perfectly, the other works, but makes little weird noises in the back ground that are only noticeable in the quiet.
Thanks drh.

I don't see a phone number on Velodyne's website.. Have I missed it?
Their Contact us has had maybe 3 emails from me checking in over the weeks.
Seems care factor zero... Very sad.

-- 133" AT 2.35:1 Screen -- JVC X500 -- Oppo UDP-205 -- Cambridge 650R -- 2x KlarkTeknik DN360 G-EQ -- Emotiva XPA-5 -- 3x JTR Triple 12; L,C,R -- 3x Velodyne DD18 + DD15 --
post #10458 of 10466 Old 05-31-2017, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Thanks drh.

I don't see a phone number on Velodyne's website.. Have I missed it?
Their Contact us has had maybe 3 emails from me checking in over the weeks.
Seems care factor zero... Very sad.
I don't know if these people would be willing to help you, or even are allowed to since they are in America, but I believe they were recommended up thread.
They are an authorized service center:
California
George Meyer TV & Stereo
12418 Santa Monica Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90025
Phone: 310-820-1113
Email: GeorgeMeyerAV@gmail.com

Denon AVR-4520CI
Emotiva XPA Gen3 3 channel
Klipsch RP 280f LR, 260f SR, RC-62 II, RF-82 II SB, RB-61 II wide, RC-10 height
SVS SB12-NSD x4
OPPO UDP-203
TiVo Roamio, sometimes buzzy Samsung Plasma
post #10459 of 10466 Old 06-06-2017, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 156
I've noticed recently than my MiniVee sub is audibly humming now after music stops for a minute or two, then goes away.

The sub is less than a year old. Is it dying already?
post #10460 of 10466 Old 06-07-2017, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi,

Just replaced the foam on my Velodyne F1000b. It appeared to be fine until in the middle of the night while the receiver was on standby it started to Thump loudly. It was so loud it awoke my wife on the 2nd floor. Needless to say she was not happy. The problem did not exist prior to the install.

Any ideas on why this is happening, could it be the foam install, or is it likely something else has failed?

Thanks!

bob
post #10461 of 10466 Old 06-07-2017, 10:37 AM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callsign_Vega View Post
I've noticed recently than my MiniVee sub is audibly humming now after music stops for a minute or two, then goes away.

The sub is less than a year old. Is it dying already?
I would use the word deffective instead of dying. "Dying" Implies that the unit is wearing out from use or age. If your unit is less than a year old it probably has a capacitor in it that is not up to snuff. This is what warranty coverage is for, catching issues like this that aren't caught in the factory. As I understand, the warranty is 2 years on Velodyne. You will need your purchase receipt to show you are under coverage.
post #10462 of 10466 Old 06-07-2017, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob94002 View Post
Hi,

Just replaced the foam on my Velodyne F1000b. It appeared to be fine until in the middle of the night while the receiver was on standby it started to Thump loudly. It was so loud it awoke my wife on the 2nd floor. Needless to say she was not happy. The problem did not exist prior to the install.

Any ideas on why this is happening, could it be the foam install, or is it likely something else has failed?

Thanks!

bob
Amp is dead.

Geoff A. J., California
post #10463 of 10466 Old 06-08-2017, 04:57 PM

Exclamation DDP18B No Sound - Help!

All,

Looking for some debug help here please. 80-DDP18BGRF 15 months old ... out of warranty!

This is what has occurred to date (Power is on, volume set to 49, display is on):
1) Speaker made a “futz” sound ~2-weeks ago
a. Running the “3-2-1” test created no sound from the speaker
2) A week ago the speaker came back online and was operating well
a. Running the “3-2-1” test created sound from the speaker; test ended in “Err”
3) A couple of days ago the speaker was not operating
a. Running the “3-2-1” test created no sound from the speaker
Please advise on what can I do to debug and resolve this problem?

Aussie
post #10464 of 10466 Old 06-21-2017, 12:02 AM

Question Velodyne Minivee noise issue

Hi.

My old Velodyne Minivee starts making a noise.

The symptoms:

- Makes a static low frequency noise like a strong wind behind the closed window. Not loud, but noticeable from 10ft at night.
- Makes a slight buzz. Only noticeable within 1ft.
- Both noises are not varying with volume level.
- Both noises are present with / without input. No changes.
- Except for the noise, the subwoofer is fully functional.

I contacted Velodyne authorized service in BC Canada and they said the repair cost would be over $300. I don't want to spend that much, so I want to fix it by myself.
I opened the subwoofer and looked at the parts on the amplifier, but everything looks fine to me. No bulges, no spills.

I have 3 questions.

1. Bad caps can cause those symptoms? I think I can replace all caps without any trouble.
2. If not bad caps, which parts can cause the symptoms?
3. I have a MicroVee which works perfectly for my desktop system. The power specs are identical, but don't know they are identical inside. Can I swap the boards between them?

Please advise. Thanks.
post #10465 of 10466 Old 06-21-2017, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Velodyne HGS 10 howling

Hi all,
I have an HGS 10 I bought new many years ago. Recently it began howling when it is plugged in to the AC duplex outlet. The howling is a constant pitch which starts loud and completely fades away after about a minute. It does this with or without an IC connected. Has anyone had this problem? Does anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks,
henrylr
post #10466 of 10466 Old Today, 09:34 AM

First time AVS poster!

My DD10 sub will not enter self EQ mode.

Using a Harmony remote pressing 3-2-1 from the main screen does nothing.
I've got the microphone and cable connected correctly and verified working according to the test graph on screen....

What am I doing wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Velodyne Acoustics , Velodyne Impact 10 10 Subwoofer , Velodyne Wiconnect 10 Wireless Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 8 8 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 10 10 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 12 12 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 15 15 Subwoofer , Velodyne

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page