Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #1501 of 9771 Old 07-06-2005, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Aren't as many apartments near Annapolis , are there?

Quote:

Do any of you computer gurus know what I need for the 2.0 upgrade ?

serial cable for rs232 connection?

I think it would be generally more useful if everyone new to these forums is reminded that they are constantly being marketed to and pitched by people who post their affiliations and many others who do not. This is all part of marketing and advertising and you, the consumer, are the targets.
Noth...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 9771 Old 07-06-2005, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi,
To download 2.0, you need a computer with a serial port (rs232) and a mouse extender cable (not a modem cable). See website; (www.velodyne.com) software downloads.
Curt
post #1503 of 9771 Old 07-06-2005, 08:37 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by curt c View Post

Hi,
To download 2.0, you need a computer with a serial port (rs232) and a mouse extender cable (not a modem cable). See website; (www.velodyne.com) software downloads.
Curt

rs232 ... And My computer has USB ports only ... I think a computer store sells the right cords ?
post #1504 of 9771 Old 07-06-2005, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Craig,
You can purchase USB to RS232 adapters at computer stores.
Curt
post #1505 of 9771 Old 07-06-2005, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

You can probably handle the task with a serial --> USB adapter, but I haven't tested this personally.

Cheers,

Contributing Editor & Surround Music Reviewer Widescreen Review
Opinions are mine, not the publication I write for.
post #1506 of 9771 Old 07-06-2005, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can probably handle the task with a serial --> USB adapter, but I haven't tested this personally

Worked for me a couple of times.

I think it would be generally more useful if everyone new to these forums is reminded that they are constantly being marketed to and pitched by people who post their affiliations and many others who do not. This is all part of marketing and advertising and you, the consumer, are the targets.
Noth...
post #1507 of 9771 Old 07-06-2005, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

MrHIFI, my neighbor problem is from my Velodyne CHT-10 sub. I only play it at about 63-65db and its calibrated to 75db. Its on the front wall in between the tv and left front bookshelf speaker, which is on a stand 2ft from wall. I also dont live in a high rise. Its a apt. complex and I am on the bottom floor and the neighbor is directly above me and she is the only one above me. Does anyone know what I should do?

Thanks,
Brian

Take care,
Brian
post #1508 of 9771 Old 07-06-2005, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kotches View Post

You can probably handle the task with a serial --> USB adapter, but I haven't tested this personally.

Cheers,

Thanks, Curt C and John - The good people at Velodyne are sending me the proper cable free of charge. I would call that excellent customer service.

Once I get it here, and get the 2.0 software installed, I will run some TrueRTA graphs of "before and after shots" with the subwoofer in a "not so good" position within the room.
post #1509 of 9771 Old 07-06-2005, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Brian27,

One does not "calibrate" a speaker. One adjusts the speaker controls to achieve a desired response. Please everyone stop using the word "calibrate". One calibrates something by adjusting it's controls in such a way that the unit performs like a known "reference". As an example, in the audio world Sound Pressure Level meters get calibrated to secondary reference units which are in turn calibrated to established reference standards. A traceable reference system must be in place for a calibration to be valid.

I am sure that Curt and the fellows at Velodyne will tell you to adjust speakers by altering the frequency response characteristics using whatever controls might be available on a given unit. they will not suggest that you calibrate a speaker.

If you're gonna "walk the walk" then learn to "talk the talk."

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #1510 of 9771 Old 07-06-2005, 08:52 PM

hi Curt,
what can i use to clean finger prints off the dd-12 black gloss cabinet?
thanks.
scottie
post #1511 of 9771 Old 07-06-2005, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

naptha..if ya wanna mess with petroleum based solvents.
post #1512 of 9771 Old 07-06-2005, 10:19 PM
Advanced Member

Well sorry MRHIFI if I'm not using correct language for you... but my receiver manual has a level calibration menu where it states to calibrate the levels of your speakers to a predetermined reference level which is 75db. That is what I told you I have done and that I listen about 10db under that. You need to quit worrying about kissing the but of others more experianced than you and help the person you are replying to instead of giving them lessons on correct word usage when you obviously know what they are talking about...well then maybe not?? Most people use the word calibrate because thats what it is! I guess my receiver manual and most likely many others are wrong when they tell you to CALIBRATE to a predetermined reference level???? Maybe you should be learning to "Talk the Talk" before replying to others with questions or maybe you read my posts wrong?? Are you the type that has to try to make others feel stupid to make yourself feel superior?

THIS IS ONE MEANING FROM THE DICTIONARY:
-To CALIBRATE- to adjust precisely for a particular function
........As in a predetermined reference level maybe???

Take care,
Brian
post #1513 of 9771 Old 07-06-2005, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

"Fanfare For The Common Man"

-Copeland
post #1514 of 9771 Old 07-07-2005, 06:38 AM

hi Curt,

on a dd-12, would there be any problems simultaneously feeding the right channel rca input and xlr input for left channel?

currently i am using xlr-rca adapters to feed the rca input for both channels. the adapters are slightly too big to make perfect connections to both rca inputs simultaneously.

thanks!
scottie
post #1515 of 9771 Old 07-07-2005, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

or for THAT matter, is it possible for a DD sub to actually accomodate 2 different signals simultaneously thru both its inputs? Let's say that one has an electric piano and wants to play along with some CD music. Would it overwhelm the DD's voltage sensor to have one input connected to a pre-pro's output and the other coming in from the split off of the piano?

Thanks,

Ran

ps- to those who are about to respond with "even if you could, you'd be hearing the piano thru the sub", I have an external active xover box for the piano's outboard speakers.
post #1516 of 9771 Old 07-07-2005, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Ranman,

I have a Technics PR902 Digital Ensemble that I often route to my audio system. It is quite exciting to to pull out the stops on the 16ft pipe MIDI simulation and listen to the reproduction through my 18" Velodyne sub. It is like playing in a cathedral. BTW, if you have any music you might like to trade, I just finished Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue". It is encoded in the Technics File Format but I can convert it to GM easily.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #1517 of 9771 Old 07-07-2005, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

"Rhapsody In Blue"?? You disgust me. I've been working on that piece for over 10 yrs and STILL can only do about 1/3 of it at best. Can I blame it on small hands? Actually, it is by far my favorite piece, but my reading and fingering skills suck to the point I've mostly given up. Hey, as long as I can play the first couple of pages well enough to fool people into thinking I can play the whole thing, that's all that counts, right?

My other favorite keyboardist is Dave Grusin...I just LOVE the kind of stuff he did for "The Firm". A few of those I can actually come close to playing.

But back to my question....

Do you think I can connect two sources at the same time to my Velo's two inputs without blowing the thing up or sending feedback back to the processor?

Ran
post #1518 of 9771 Old 07-07-2005, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Ran,

I would not. Unless those inputs and outputs are buffered, you stand a good chance of damaging one or more pieces of gear. Ground loops alone could cause trouble. The fellows from Velo will have to address this but I believe there must be some warning in the directions advising against this.

BTW, It has taken me almost 5 years to complete the MIDi version. It was constructed one note at a time. It is 99% true to Gershwin's original arrangement for solo piano. I was faithful to pedal, accents, timing and written cues in the music assigning each note a list of 12-16 attributes. Some chords took an hour to completely characterize. I do not believe there is another version a complete as this one.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #1519 of 9771 Old 07-07-2005, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd love to hear it.

I'm using an ancient Kurzweil 250...might donate it to the Smithsonian one day. Right now, it needs some key adjustment and it's in a semi-open state. Kinda funny to see how large the motherboards are inside...HUGE.
post #1520 of 9771 Old 07-07-2005, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian27 View Post

Well sorry MRHIFI if I'm not using correct language for you... but my receiver manual has a level calibration menu where it states to calibrate the levels of your speakers to a predetermined reference level which is 75db. That is what I told you I have done and that I listen about 10db under that. You need to quit worrying about kissing the but of others more experianced than you and help the person you are replying to instead of giving them lessons on correct word usage when you obviously know what they are talking about...well then maybe not?? Most people use the word calibrate because thats what it is! I guess my receiver manual and most likely many others are wrong when they tell you to CALIBRATE to a predetermined reference level???? Maybe you should be learning to "Talk the Talk" before replying to others with questions or maybe you read my posts wrong?? Are you the type that has to try to make others feel stupid to make yourself feel superior?

THIS IS ONE MEANING FROM THE DICTIONARY:
-To CALIBRATE- to adjust precisely for a particular function
........As in a predetermined reference level maybe???

Judging by his moniker, "Mr. Hi Fi" is a little full of himself.
post #1521 of 9771 Old 07-07-2005, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Not to get off trax
But I wish I had a B-3 !
Gary
post #1522 of 9771 Old 07-07-2005, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottielee View Post

hi Curt,

on a dd-12, would there be any problems simultaneously feeding the right channel rca input and xlr input for left channel?

currently i am using xlr-rca adapters to feed the rca input for both channels. the adapters are slightly too big to make perfect connections to both rca inputs simultaneously.

thanks!
scottie

Hi,
It should work as all inputs are summed.
Curt
post #1523 of 9771 Old 07-07-2005, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theranman View Post

or for THAT matter, is it possible for a DD sub to actually accomodate 2 different signals simultaneously thru both its inputs? Let's say that one has an electric piano and wants to play along with some CD music. Would it overwhelm the DD's voltage sensor to have one input connected to a pre-pro's output and the other coming in from the split off of the piano?

Thanks,

Ran

ps- to those who are about to respond with "even if you could, you'd be hearing the piano thru the sub", I have an external active xover box for the piano's outboard speakers.

Ran,
Not recommended. Too much potential for damage.
Curt
post #1524 of 9771 Old 07-08-2005, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

i noticed that someone posted in another thread that SoundCity is offering refurbished Velo DLS-3750R's for $299 plus shipping. are these factory Velo refurbs? and if so, are they cosmetic refurbs with scratches, elecronic refubs that have been repaired, or both? also, do they have any type of warranty from Velo? and if so, what type of warranty is given?

Xbox Live: KoNtRoL MaNiAk
post #1525 of 9771 Old 07-08-2005, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi,
The units you are referring to are factory refurbs. They are primarily electronic refurbs but may have picked up some handling scratches. The warranty is the same as for a new product, two years parts and labor.
Curt
post #1526 of 9771 Old 07-08-2005, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Craig- You have been running your DD-18 without Version 2.0 all this time? I thought you would of been one of the 1st to upgrade to this version when it came out Please advise us of your findings as I am looking at possibly upgrading from my M&K MX-350 THX Ultra Subwoofer to the DD-18 THX Ultra 2 subwoofer and wanted to make sure I would notice a difference.

Secondly anyone using the DD-15 or DD-18 in the THX Ultra 2 mode. From the Manual-

Quote:

THX Ultra2 Presets for the Velodyne Digital Drive Series:
To set the DD-15 and DD-18 to meet THX Ultra2 requirements, customize Preset 5 with the following parameters:

- Low Pass Crossover Frequency: OFF
- Low Pass Crossover Slope: 6 dB per octave
- Subsonic Frequency: 15Hz
- Subsonic Slope: 24 dB per octave
- Phase: User adjustable
- Polarity: User adjustable
- Volume: 25
- Contour Frequency: Default
- Contour Level: 0.0
- Theater/Music: 8
- Night Mode Volume: Default in OFF position

If I use this mode does it defeat the settings from the Auto EQ?
post #1527 of 9771 Old 07-08-2005, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

No, it those adjustable controls are done in addition to/after you've run tones and the frequency adjustments have been put in as a "base line", although it may/will alter the curve from the , presumably flat, base line, initial set-up.

Noth...
post #1528 of 9771 Old 07-08-2005, 09:08 PM

G'day,

My F1800RII just stopped making any sound (the power light still comes on to tease me though).
Any hope the problem is something simple that I can fix myself (as I'm in Geelong, Australia)?

THanks for any and all advice..

Travis
post #1529 of 9771 Old 07-08-2005, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Travis,
Contact Velodyne service at; service@velodyne.com. They will provide information on where to send the amplifier. The amp is easily removable.
Curt
post #1530 of 9771 Old 07-11-2005, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hi Curt or Bruce,
I`m trying out a new SPL-1200R and have a couple of questions.
1 ) Does the mic need to pluged in for calibration only ?
2 )Following the instructions , I pushed the "EQ" button for 2 sec. and the sweeps started but stopped after about 5 or 6 , the manual states 12 , is the sub faulty or just gathered the information needed.
3 ) Every time I change a setting on my amp ( DSP-A1G ) or change the master volume on same the sub "clicks". Is that also normal ?
Also when I first hooked it up and turned it on it made a "burr" + "click" sound , that I think was normal, just the amp firing up , however it no longer makes that sound.
Last , the one I`m trying is black , any idea when they will start receiving the "Cherry" for delivery ? ( changed mind from Maple )
Many thanks guy`s,
Gary
PS:
Will be posting a full review when testing is complete.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Velodyne Acoustics , Velodyne Impact 10 10 Subwoofer , Velodyne Wiconnect 10 Wireless Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 8 8 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 10 10 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 12 12 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 15 15 Subwoofer , Velodyne

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page