AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

SVS B4 Subwoofer Product Review!!!

14K views 151 replies 34 participants last post by  javry 
#1 ·
#127 ·
George Lucas may have contras, Skywalker Ranch/Lucausfilm uses M&K see www.mkprofessional.com and Disney's 4 mill Ultimate HT Experience as a M&K sun see www.uhte.com. I did not say George has it in his personal theater. Well, any "true" HT should hide all speakers and all electronics, so the color of the veneer means nothing. I agree, sub placement, room shape, room size and room acoustics can make a low-fi sub sound like a hi-fi one.

#128 ·
Quote:
I would love to see a comparison shootout between the Krell Master reference sub and the B-4. I have done some tests with the Krell
Mark Seaton a few weeks ago was able to compare the Krell to one to one of his new B-DEAP-32s with (I believe) the Chicago HT group. I can only imagine the battle. Granted the Krell is about $18K!!!!

I have not heard the results. Perhaps, Mark will post...

Man....I love bass!!!!

#130 ·
Jeff, 3card have you guys heard a properly set-up Krell? If so what did you think? I have and it was my first exposure to what real, clean bass was! The thing is a tank and weights a wopping 400lbs! It is impressive, but the price is NOT! Im willing to bet between a B4+ vs a Krell or B-DEAP-32s vs Krell the term diminishing returns comes into play. How much more $$$ per dbs are you paying for if the Krell wins?

#131 ·
Terence...*real quick I'm at work* I have yet to hear one...hopefully sometime in the near future..just to "see" what all the jive is about. diminishing returns have to play a huge part in that one...I mean, I'm sure Jeff and myself can hit high clean db's without a problem...I don't have an accurate meter..just a rat shack, but 120's without a sweat is possible....I feel I have enough bass in my room...jeff says too much is never enough *lol*...true unless you have to buy more..and put something else off...maybe an addition later..but for now I think our systems will suffice. Kris deering may pipe in again...as he has heard one...Kris...yo! 3

#132 ·
The Krell does sound fantastic and is really a "do all" sub. The reason for the steep price is a couple of things. First off this is a machined aluminum casing that gives off ZERO vibration at levels that would almost make you stop breathing. When we were already splitting dry wall and just about crushing my chest cavity, the sub had no kind of vibration at all from its chassis. Also the amps used are Krell's mono block balanced design which are already big money.

There is a lot of different technology included such as being able to select what type of crossover you want to use, not which setting, what actual type.

Plus like any high end piece, Krell is only expecting so many sales which makes the cost higher to make up for R&D and producing costs.

I have no doubt that the B-4 can hold its own against any sub out there. If there is one thing that has been proven time and time again it's that SVS knows how to make great subs. A company like Krell may not want to do a comparison of these two products as the B-4 may provide a much cheaper alternative that performs on par or possibly better, but I would love to see that test someday.

#133 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Threecard
jeff says too much is never enough *lol*...true unless you have to buy more..and put something else off..
I feel the same one man's overkill is another's headroom.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kris Deering
I would love to see that test someday.
So would i and i'm sure a lot of others would too. Would make some fun reading.

#134 ·
Thanks Kris.....I know you've dealt with the PB2...but we need to get a B4+, and a Bdeap to your door...To me, your statements seem to hold back on the Krell...meaning, if it WAS well worth the money, you'd be shouting how great it is...it maybe great, but at a few times the price of the B4+/b-deap, when all is said and done...seems as though we weren't missing a ton...The last statement says it all...

A company like Krell may not want to do a comparison of these two products as the B-4 may provide a much cheaper alternative that performs

on par or possibly better[/QUOTE, but I would love to see that test someday.

Maybe we weren't missing anything:)

Thanks Kris...3

#135 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Terence

I feel the same one man's overkill is another's headroom.
So well said...... The second K2 amp (each bridging each sub) provides headroom nirvana!

#136 ·
Hi Guys,

Just to clarify a few points...

The B-DEAP/Krell MRS comparison never happened, just bad timing and just not enough space. That was back in July.

For the record, the personal system in George Lucas's home includes components from Lexicon, Genelec, Crown, and of course ServoDrive. I can confirm that NONE of the gear was "given" or even discounted to the contractor who pulled off this major upgrade to the system. Unfortunately, no, you won't see it profiled in any of the AV mags.

So far as our runt loudspeakers, they are in fact available as originally intended for professional installation, and as indicated on the website. They are available through our approved home theater installers, yet I have not been pushing them hard yet as there will be minor changes to the input plate and probably the grill for more traditional configurations, and likely a new name to be marketed to the home theater. Acoustically though, the box will be the same for now.

#138 ·
Depending on what happens aesthetically, they should have a suggested retail of $2500-3000 each. The units currently available are $2650.

Let's just say it will leave many a center channel wanting. They will be good crossed over anywhere over 65Hz. Their large Unity horn has qualities that are not available in current home theater mains, particularly the smooth on/off axis combined with real pattern control (directivity) through the midrange. The sensitivity and power handling are rather impressive for the size, not to mention I believe I made a type-o in the sensitivity spec which should have been @ 2.0V not 2.8V (1W into nominal 4 Ohm). So typicaly that would be listed at ~94dB/2.8V sensitivity.

#139 ·
WOW! Are you ready for the Runt's Jeff? Thx for the info Mark.

#141 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Kris Deering
The Krell does sound fantastic and is really a "do all" sub. The reason for the steep price is a couple of things. First off this is a machined aluminum casing that gives off ZERO vibration at levels that would almost make you stop breathing. When we were already splitting dry wall and just about crushing my chest cavity, the sub had no kind of vibration at all from its chassis. Also the amps used are Krell's mono block balanced design which are already big money.

I'd say for the last 10 or so years, I've had at least one piece of Krell equipment in my system. It started with the KBL Pre Amp back in 92 or 93. The one thing that always stood out was the way Krell stuff works the bass. Fast...fat....clean.....butt-smackin.....floor slammin bass! I sold the KBL and went with a BAT VK-Vi but also changed my amps to a couple of Krell KSA 300Ss. When I switched over to HT, a little over a year ago, I sold the KSAs and went with a couple of Krell Theater Amp Standards. The reason........I just love the way Krell does bass. Now, I can't afford the Krell subwoofer...but if I could, I would. I bought the B4s as the next best thing.

As to price and the "law of diminishing returns", you'll find it true in buying most high end gear. Has anyone seen the price of Wilson Grand Slamms lately...or how about that subwoofer Avantgarde offers. Whether the price differential is on par with the return is, IMO, in the eyes [or better yet, the wallet], of the beholder.

Javry

#143 ·
Well Jav...ya probably made a good decision...with Kris deerings comments, you may have made a perfect decision based on his thoughts of the Krell. When the heck are they do in?:) BTW, my site has been updated.

http://home.mchsi.com/~toml/wsb/html...tos.html-.html

#144 ·
Quote:
BTW, my site has been updated.
Ahhhhhhh....a Paridigm man huh? I used to own a pair a while back. I think they were the 9SE series. My god...... that was in 89! Time sure flies when you're havin fun. Your screen looks pretty good. What size is it.......120 inches?. Looks like it went together pretty easily. Are you still going to be able to use your FP?

About the B4s: we finally got the stain situation ironed out. I was on travel all last week so there wasn't much movement toward a finish date. Tom seems to think they'll be here a week from this coming Friday. Actually, I would've had them by now but I wanted to hold up and get that stain issue corrected.

I'll tell you what.....SVS may not be Krell but their customer service is among the best I've ever experienced. Krell has gotten so big over the years. I continue to hear horror stories from small "mom n pop" A/V stores about their intimidation tactics and general inabiliity to remember where they came from. And on that score, SVS has got them beat by a mile....hell, give it 2 miles.

Anyway, I sure like that maple stain on your B4. Don't forget to try out Solar Max.

Javry

#145 ·
Thanks Jav:) its actually a 104" screen, and works perfectly with my FP! Sweet ars picture:) Yes, the paradigms will be my next upgrade..earlier next year..I'm looking at some auditions lined up...Dali euphonia and helicons, dynaudios of different series and so on...should be interesting considering the Dalis have been said to rumble the world with good price and top knotch performance...can't wait:) Yes, they did a wonderful job on the B4+...glad I bought it:) keep us posted on the B4+'s! 3

#146 ·
Quote:
Thanks Jav:) ...Dali euphonia and helicons, dynaudios of different series and so on...should be interesting considering the Dalis have been said to rumble the world with good price and top knotch performance............3

funny you should mention that. I'm still in the market for a good set of front end speakers. I've looked at everything out there...but can't find anything to compare to the MG-20s I used to own. I don't have the room for anything that big so I'll probably go with something smaller. Though I prefer planar speakers in general, I did notice an ad for the Dali Euphonia in the latest TAS. I got curious and visited their website. Truthfully, I've never heard of them before but they look as if you can hook them up in 3 way mono......which would be a nice touch. So, any anything you have on them would be appreciated. TAS also gave a high "thumbs-up" review of the new Soundline SL2s. I think the URL is soundlineaudio.com. I was planning on looking into them a little further.

Javry

#147 ·
Quote:
Thanks Jav:) Yes, they did a wonderful job on the B4+...glad I bought it:) keep us posted on the B4+'s! 3
Hey 3,

Believe it or not, my B4s showed up last Saturday morning. I only had a day to play around with them. I had to go on travel throughout the week and I'm still on travel now. Won't get back until next Friday. From the little bit I've heard though, I think I'm going to have a real nice time working the bugs out of room placement and all that. The finish of the cabinets is first rate and SVS is one hell of an outfit. I've only watched one movie [LOTR TT] and DaveN and a few of my audiophile buds dropped by to help with a few setup items. We had a good time...but no where near the amount of time it's really going to take to get things right. That's not to say that things didn't go well....they did. There's just so much else to do. Anyway...lot's to tell. Will keep everyone posted.

Javry

#148 ·
That sounds good javry! I will be eagerly awaiting your review.

#149 ·
Ok guys... bass-o-phile, bass-addict whatever you may want to call it, looks like I am in the camp.

What this means is that I maybe saying goodbye to my beloved HGS-18 series II. It is already listed in audiogon.

I have been in touch with Tom, Ron, and Erik, and just getting ready to plunge.

I will be getting one B4+ WITHOUT the crown K1. They are going to give me an option in the sub (extra binding posts) where I can run it as dual mono, since I have a Citation 7.1 which can do 400Watts per channel (dual) into 8 ohms. The Citations are very good amps, but I have a minor concern if they will do the job as good as a crown K1. Any of you use the Citation 7.1 for the B4+ ?

The big servo is awesome for both music and movies. I wanted a little more bass for Movies, and hence this upgrade.

How good is the B4 for music ? Anyone tried "Pomp and Pipes" Schwanda the Bagpiper ?

What am I sacrificing for the B4..... well stepping down from 7.1 to 5.1. Not that big of a sacrifice, but it is hard, espcially because my preamp is a Lexicon MC-1 that shines in 7.1.

Thanks,

-Jai

#150 ·
The B4+ is awesome for music...I play everything on it, and normally I've used 2 channel..I too have a Lex (mc-8) and it shines brilliantly in 5.1....get ready for some good HP, cuz the B4+ is not only powerful, and accurate, but beautiful to boot:)

#151 ·
javry:

It will take you some time to get the correct position (I have had mine several months -- and am still messing around with them) but once you get them correct, be prepared to have a permanent smile.....they are scary good....and while EQ can really help, in my opinion, less is better. The BFD is perfect but just because it provides you the ability to have 12 filters, I don't' recommend having more than 4 or 5 (for just the subs).

If you would care to call me, send me a PM and we can do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.