post #1441 of 2525 Old 01-27-2008, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconlabtech View Post

Those should be springloaded terminals, press down and slip your 12/14awg wire in from the side.

His description sounds more crimp terminals. as shown on this link:
http://www.bitsen.com/index.php?main...index&cPath=91

The 25 watt style of Aura shakers used that style of connector, the 50 watt style use the push style binding posts as you described.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 2525 Old 01-27-2008, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I got my hands on a pair of used Aura AST-1B-4. They come with a pigtail made of a copper and a silver wire, but no info, which one is plus or minus.

I was wondering if anyone could help me out here.

Thanks!
____
Axel

post #1443 of 2525 Old 01-27-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. L. View Post

His description sounds more crimp terminals. as shown on this link:
http://www.bitsen.com/index.php?main...index&cPath=91

The 25 watt style of Aura shakers used that style of connector, the 50 watt style use the push style binding posts as you described.

Yes, they are the crimp style terminals. Thanks for the correct verbiage!

Tony
post #1444 of 2525 Old 01-27-2008, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony GT View Post

Yes, they are the crimp style terminals. Thanks for the correct verbiage!

Tony

Tony;
It sounds like you have the same shakers. However yours seem to still have connectors attached. Could you tell me if yours have different color cables (copper/silver). If so could you tell me which one is + or -? If it is not specifically called out, the crimp style connectors may be or different size (the smaller ones are usually +).

Thanks!
_____
Axel

post #1445 of 2525 Old 01-27-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post

Tony;
It sounds like you have the same shakers. However yours seem to still have connectors attached. Could you tell me if yours have different color cables (copper/silver). If so could you tell me which one is + or -? If it is not specifically called out, the crimp style connectors may be or different size (the smaller ones are usually +).

Thanks!
_____
Axel

Axel, no problem. The larger crimp is connected to the copper colored wire and the smaller one is connected to the silver colored wire. According to the manual, the larger connector is positive and the smaller connector is negative.

Hope that helps!

Tony
post #1446 of 2525 Old 01-27-2008, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony GT View Post

Axel, no problem. The larger crimp is connected to the copper colored wire and the smaller one is connected to the silver colored wire. According to the manual, the larger connector is positive and the smaller connector is negative.

Hope that helps!

Tony

Got it:
copper is +,
silver is -

Thanks much Tony!
____
Axel

post #1447 of 2525 Old 01-29-2008, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
I have two couches in my HT. One is hardly ever used. I'm on a budget. I have planned on buying 2 Aura pro bass shakers and putting them both on the main couch. I figure I might get lucky and be able to put one on each couch and still have good effects, but the main thing is to have the main couch rocking.

I recently read some sites that basically said the Aura's are garbage compared to a buttkicker. What are your thoughts on this? I'd much rather pay $80 for 2 Auras vs. $140ish for a buttkicker. Even if the buttkicker is worth the extra money, it seems like I'd have to buy a 1000w amp just to run it... I guess you can't run buttkickers off old receivers you have laying around?
post #1448 of 2525 Old 01-29-2008, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Depends on how much shaking you like....Aura are great for natural shake, BK can do that also and more. Some of us just want the natural so no need to invest in BKs.

===================================
My Riser | My LED Star Ceiling | My HTPC Build
post #1449 of 2525 Old 01-29-2008, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
You will need to put both on the main couch and be sure to mount them so that they affect the entire couch and not just one or two seats. Might need to add a support underneath to do that. The BKs obviously will do the job but are as you pointed out twice as much for one versus two. I bought two and put one on my recliner and one on my recliner couch and wound up buying two more to get the couch evenly and completely covered.

Auras work, and on a tight budget get the job done!
post #1450 of 2525 Old 01-29-2008, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dradius View Post

I have two couches in my HT. One is hardly ever used. I'm on a budget. I have planned on buying 2 Aura pro bass shakers and putting them both on the main couch. I figure I might get lucky and be able to put one on each couch and still have good effects, but the main thing is to have the main couch rocking.

I recently read some sites that basically said the Aura's are garbage compared to a buttkicker. What are your thoughts on this? I'd much rather pay $80 for 2 Auras vs. $140ish for a buttkicker. Even if the buttkicker is worth the extra money, it seems like I'd have to buy a 1000w amp just to run it... I guess you can't run buttkickers off old receivers you have laying around?

You may want to consider a BK Mini LFEs as a compromise. Those retail for some $70 to $80/each. Spec-wise similar to the Aura Pros, but go down to 10Hz.
____
Axel

post #1451 of 2525 Old 01-29-2008, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

What size amp would the mini's need? similar to the Aura Pros also?

post #1452 of 2525 Old 01-29-2008, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
They're completely different levels of quality, so to speak. Similar to the difference between connecting shakers directly to furniture versus a platform (such as a riser).

You'll pay more, and get more, with the buttkickers. But you'll get "something" with the Auras as well. I have a combination of the above.. Auras connected to a platform, with a low quality amp (receiver). It's much better than when I had them directly connected to the couch, but not as powerful as I'd like (it's a 200lb platform).
post #1453 of 2525 Old 01-29-2008, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradewinds View Post

You will need a little more wattage going to the LFE minis but you could drive a platform with them. I'm pushing all four of my Aura Pros with a 100watt sub amp from Parts Express.
post #1454 of 2525 Old 01-29-2008, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I have got 5 Aura Pros and a 5 x 10 riser I will be building with Auralex U-Boats. Is this not enough to give it a natural shake?

post #1455 of 2525 Old 01-29-2008, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have got 5 Aura Pros and a 5 x 10 riser I will be building with Auralex U-Boats. Is this not enough to give it a natural shake?

5 should work fine, it's just that 2 mini LFEs or one regular LFE would also probably work. I don't need them but I'm thinking about trying the mini LFEs. Forum membership is expensive...
post #1456 of 2525 Old 01-29-2008, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Aura Pros are spec'ed at power handling: 50 watts RMS/100 watts max.
For the BK Mini-LFE the specs say Power Handling: 50 watts min. / 250 watts max.

Both are 4 ohms impedance.
____
Axel

post #1457 of 2525 Old 01-30-2008, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

thanks for all the responses guys. i think for now i'll just get a couple aura pros and see go from three. much easier to spend $80 and use an old receiver i have than buy a buttkicker and new amp. thanks again.
post #1458 of 2525 Old 01-30-2008, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

5 should work fine, it's just that 2 mini LFEs or one regular LFE would also probably work. I don't need them but I'm thinking about trying the mini LFEs. Forum membership is expensive...

My concern with using less shakers was even shaking of the riser (don't want one guy getting kicked hard and the others not much)

post #1459 of 2525 Old 01-30-2008, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post

The Aura Pros are spec'ed at power handling: 50 watts RMS/100 watts max.
For the BK Mini-LFE the specs say Power Handling: 50 watts min. / 250 watts max.

Both are 4 ohms impedance.
____
Axel

The issue with watts and a transducer is blurry to me. Given my 5 x 10 riser, I wanted to have even distribution. I am not sure what two mini-LFE getting 200 watts each vs. 5 Aura Pros getting 50 watts each really boils down to in terms of movement. I don't want the riser to shake like something from Disney's Tower of Terror ride but just that slight jolt and hit based on what is being viewed. The difficult part with the riser is that it will be hard to replace them once sealed.

post #1460 of 2525 Old 01-30-2008, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The issue with watts and a transducer is blurry to me. Given my 5 x 10 riser, I wanted to have even distribution. I am not sure what two mini-LFE getting 200 watts each vs. 5 Aura Pros getting 50 watts each really boils down to in terms of movement. I don't want the riser to shake like something from Disney's Tower of Terror ride but just that slight jolt and hit based on what is being viewed. The difficult part with the riser is that it will be hard to replace them once sealed.

You can always turn down the gain on the amplifier feeding your shakers if they are shaking too much. Once a given shaker has reached its excursion limits it will not help to give it more power if the shaking is not enough.

With that in mind, I would go with more shakers than I think I need.

As far as 2 Mini-LFE shakers vs 5 Aura-Pro models...
It will be very difficult to wire 5 shakers to present a decent load to a single channel amplifier and get them to all get the same amount of power and shake evenly. You can put two in series on one channel and three in series on a second channel on a receiver and then turn the balance control off-center to get even shaking.

If I was you, and the shakers were going under a platform
I would go for either 6 or 8 Aura shakers. (or 10, or 12 if the platform was big enough) OR
I would possibly think of 4 of the Buttkicker Mini-LFE shakers, or one or two of their full size shakers if I was going to shake a platform with multiple seats mounted on it.
post #1461 of 2525 Old 01-30-2008, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

That's the real issue for me is that I would not know how this will perform until it is all mounted and seats in place. For the money spent to get mini-LFE or the big ones and then have to turn them down to get the level of desire shake seems, even though it will lessen the risk that they will not work, might equate to what a Aura Pro will provide.

post #1462 of 2525 Old 01-30-2008, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Given that you are going to mount these on a platform you have to consider inaccessibility, maximum effect, and failure. 5 Aura Pros could do the job because even though they are lower wattage, you have more of them. You are NOT going to push them at 50 watts, my 4 don't get anywhere near that much juice, and you probably don't need to push them that hard.

BUT

The BK equipment is designed to be used where you will need more effect to give you what you need. Heavy furniture and platforms will reduce what an Aura can do because of its voice coil design. You need fewer BKs because they are designed to give you more potential at a wider range.

For a platform if you wanted to try it and already have them, 5 Auras could work out fine. But, if you want to be sure it works and is not going to fail you, two full size LFEs with the appropriate amp will allow you to install and forget about it.
post #1463 of 2525 Old 01-30-2008, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

in that case I wish I had not already bought the Auras and plate amp.

post #1464 of 2525 Old 01-30-2008, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

in that case I wish I had not already bought the Auras and plate amp.

You have them, try them out. They will work I'm sure and who knows if and when you would need to replace them.

Don't give up yet!
post #1465 of 2525 Old 01-30-2008, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess I will. I am hoping the U-Boats help a lot with this.

post #1466 of 2525 Old 01-30-2008, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess I will. I am hoping the U-Boats help a lot with this.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Like I said I'm driving my 4 off of a 100watt plate amp and I have the power turned up to about half and the crossover set at 80hz. I had it up to 3/4 power but my wife asked me when did I put the back massager into the sofa so I had to turn down the power and drop the cross over from 100 to 80.
post #1467 of 2525 Old 01-31-2008, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

reconlabtech, I know you said you have 3 Aura pros on a sofa. Did you ever just use 1 or 2 and find it wasn't enough? Just curious because I have a 3-person sofa as well and am about to order some. Of course I'd like to just buy 2 if I can get away with it I know it will vary some from sofa to sofa but just trying to get an idea.
post #1468 of 2525 Old 01-31-2008, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Like I said I'm driving my 4 off of a 100watt plate amp and I have the power turned up to about half and the crossover set at 80hz. I had it up to 3/4 power but my wife asked me when did I put the back massager into the sofa so I had to turn down the power and drop the cross over from 100 to 80.

Yes, I have a feeling it will work.

What is the correct way to mount them? facing up or facing to the side?

---- Riser top
---- Aura Pro

OR

---- Riser top
| Auro Pro

post #1469 of 2525 Old 01-31-2008, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dradius View Post

reconlabtech, I know you said you have 3 Aura pros on a sofa. Did you ever just use 1 or 2 and find it wasn't enough? Just curious because I have a 3-person sofa as well and am about to order some. Of course I'd like to just buy 2 if I can get away with it I know it will vary some from sofa to sofa but just trying to get an idea.

I think if you place the 2 on a support that spans the entire sofa, you could probably get away with 2. I have three on mine because I only needed one on my separate recliner so the other three went on the sofa.
post #1470 of 2525 Old 01-31-2008, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, I have a feeling it will work.

What is the correct way to mount them? facing up or facing to the side?

---- Riser top
---- Aura Pro

OR

---- Riser top
| Auro Pro

I would mount them to the riser top.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page