Shakers - Simple/Cheap Hookup - Visual Guide - Page 52 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #1531 of 2505 Old 06-05-2008, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the response... I don't have my subwoofer yet... still waiting on my MFW-15. So I ran the preout to the CD Audio Right channel. I have two other bass shakers sitting in my closet... I'm going to hook those up tonight with a short piece of speaker wire to make sure my setup is ok... if it is, that means my wiring is wrong and I need to jack up my 12'x5' riser to get under it and check out my wiring on the bass shakers (not looking forward to that!).

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 2505 Old 06-05-2008, 05:43 PM

Ok, hooked up my other set and placed them on top of the riser and they worked fine. Turned out the ones in the riser were working the entire time, but couldn't be felt. I upped the right channel to +10db and turned the volume up and I could feel them thumping a bit. I'm not sure if my 304 receiver isn't strong enough, or if the two layers of OSB on my riser are taming the beasts.

Any thoughts?

Nick
post #1533 of 2505 Old 06-07-2008, 07:04 PM

Hello everyone,

I purchased 2 Aura Pros to try and and see the effects. I direcly connected one of them to the back surround left of my Onkyo 605 receiver(7x90w)and I tried to run the Audyssey set up. When the system sends the signal you can barely here it and of course the set up gives an error messages at the end for the shaker. I checked all the connections and it was the same. I manually set up the equalizer and still can't hear and feel any shake from this. I have an ED LT200 on the way to run these but I was still expecting my receiver to handle these without an external amp. Any ideas what could be the problem.

Thanks,
Burak
post #1534 of 2505 Old 06-07-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogunbaba View Post

Hello everyone,

I purchased 2 Aura Pros to try and and see the effects. I direcly connected one of them to the back surround left of my Onkyo 605 receiver(7x90w)and I tried to run the Audyssey set up. When the system sends the signal you can barely here it and of course the set up gives an error messages at the end for the shaker. I checked all the connections and it was the same. I manually set up the equalizer and still can't hear and feel any shake from this. I have an ED LT200 on the way to run these but I was still expecting my receiver to handle these without an external amp. Any ideas what could be the problem.

Thanks,
Burak

I would guess it's just a matter of the usually low signal power/strength that's being sent to the surround speakers. If they sent a strong signal, they'd over power the mains. My experience with anything sub is you need a separate amp.

Kevin Davis
<>< <>< <><
post #1535 of 2505 Old 06-07-2008, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beartooth View Post

I would guess it's just a matter of the usually low signal power/strength that's being sent to the surround speakers. If they sent a strong signal, they'd over power the mains. My experience with anything sub is you need a separate amp.

Thank you. it makes sense. However, I read tons of posts here people using just their receiver to power these. Therefore, I tried to power them this way. I hope they will work with the subwoofer amp that I purchased (Fedex was supposed to deliver it today but did not happen)
post #1536 of 2505 Old 06-07-2008, 11:38 PM
SRR
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyq627 View Post

Ok, could use some help, I can't get my shakers to well... shake....

I got a new receiver Onkyo TX-SR304... I hooked it up to two aura pro shakers wired in series, using the Right speaker output. I have the pre-out from my onkyo 705 connected to the CD right audio input on my 304 using an RCA cable. On the 705 I have subwoofer set to YES with crossover of 80hz. On the 304 there's only the option to set the CENTER speaker to large. When I run a test tone on the 304 the bass shakers send out the test tone sound (just like a speaker). If I connect the dvd player's audio out right channel directly to the 304's CD right channel in, the shakers work just like speakers... So they're getting the signal, but when I have them hooked up "correctly", they don't do anything. Anyone have any ideas?

Nick

I have a 304 and the two shakers that I have mounted to a piece of plywood are hooked to my Onkyo 304 as one shaker per left and one per right channel of the Onkyo 304. You should be running the 304 in all channel mono mode. And all speakers large, with subwoofer set to no, again that being on the 304. In fact I have one shaker per left/right channels, two wired in series off the center channel, 2 wired in series off the right surround, and 2 wired in series of the left surround, all off the 304 with no problems, passed plenty of demo movies thru it and it has never complained.

Front row is three Coaster Matinees, second row is four theater seats pulled from a theater, with one shaker per seat, mounted to the carpet directly under the seat in between the seat uprights. Rear row is three seats, with two shakers one mounted under each outside seat, so functionally each seat is getting close to an equal amount of shaking.

Second and third rows are risers built with 2x8's upright sitting on concrete, then two layers of 3/4" plywood, that is then carpeted with a pad. You have to be careful when mounting the auras if you tighten them down to much/not evenly you can bend the frame and stop them from shaking. Mounting them on carpet makes this task even harder, as once you put four screws in, you need to make sure that the aura still moves slightly with slight force of your hand with out rattling against the screws while an amp is making them shake, balancing act there.
post #1537 of 2505 Old 06-07-2008, 11:41 PM
SRR
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you. it makes sense. However, I read tons of posts here people using just their receiver to power these. Therefore, I tried to power them this way. I hope they will work with the subwoofer amp that I purchased (Fedex was supposed to deliver it today but did not happen)

Most people are using a SECOND receiver off the subwoofer out on their main receiver. Surround channels have little bass, so you shouldn't expect much if any shaking.
post #1538 of 2505 Old 06-08-2008, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post

Most people are using a SECOND receiver off the subwoofer out on their main receiver. Surround channels have little bass, so you shouldn't expect much if any shaking.

Thank you for the response.
post #1539 of 2505 Old 06-08-2008, 06:47 PM

This supposed easy setup is about to drive me to drink!

I installed (4) Aura Pro Bass Shakers in Series/Parallel based on the diagram from PE. I triple and quadruple checked all my wiring as did my buddy.

I have a 65 watt Onkyo reciever. I have split the Subwoofer Pre-out from the Onkyo. One going to the Sub which works great and other going to the Dayton 240w amp Low Level input.

I tried the installed banana plugs from the bass shakers and tried plugging them into From Amplifer and To Speaker posts to no avail. I don't get squat from the shakers.

First, what do I need to plug the shakers into? Second, since I have tried every possible way connecting them, why aren't the shakers shakin'?

I cranked up the new Rambo movie during one of the loudest, most intense scenes with absolutely nothing coming from the shakers. I also turned the gain up all the way on the Dayton 240w amp...NOTHING!! HELP PLEASE!
post #1540 of 2505 Old 06-08-2008, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTheater View Post

This supposed easy setup is about to drive me to drink!

I installed (4) Aura Pro Bass Shakers in Series/Parallel based on the diagram from PE. I triple and quadruple checked all my wiring as did my buddy.

I have a 65 watt Onkyo reciever. I have split the Subwoofer Pre-out from the Onkyo. One going to the Sub which works great and other going to the Dayton 240w amp Low Level input.

I tried the installed banana plugs from the bass shakers and tried plugging them into From Amplifer and To Speaker posts to no avail. I don't get squat from the shakers.

First, what do I need to plug the shakers into? Second, since I have tried every possible way connecting them, why aren't the shakers shakin'?

I cranked up the new Rambo movie during one of the loudest, most intense scenes with absolutely nothing coming from the shakers. I also turned the gain up all the way on the Dayton 240w amp...NOTHING!! HELP PLEASE!

I made the same newbie mistake. You need to use the wires in back of the plate amp, since it is a subwoofer amp. Cut the ends off the wire, and crimp them to your shaker wires with butt connectors.

or

Find an old amplifier, and use the L and R speaker terminals. No butts needed. lol
post #1541 of 2505 Old 06-08-2008, 09:55 PM

ARHGG!! You were absolutely right... Big Time Newbie Mistake!! They work perfectly now...., but Murphy's Law prevailed when I noticed that I was not getting a picture from my Infocus 4805...WTF??? Bass Shakers working perfectly... Blown bulb on projector.. only 15 months old with infrequent use.... Oh well...$300 later, I will be back in business.
post #1542 of 2505 Old 06-13-2008, 05:59 PM

Hello Everyone,

Would it be correct to wire 5 Bass shakers using a 200w (4 ohm) subwoofer amp like in the below picture? I found this picture here (I know it is for 6 shakers) and thought it may work with 5 shakers as well. Instead using 3 Aura pros in each row I am planning to have 2 in the first row and 3 in the second row. would each shakers get the same amount of power?

Thanks,
Burak
post #1543 of 2505 Old 06-13-2008, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hello Everyone,

Would it be correct to wire 5 Bass shakers using a 200w (4 ohm) subwoofer amp like in the below picture? I found this picture here (I know it is for 6 shakers) and thought it may work with 5 shakers as well. Instead using 3 Aura pros in each row I am planning to have 2 in the first row and 3 in the second row. would each shakers get the same amount of power?

Thanks,
Burak

No, the row with 2 would get more power than the row with three.

Let's assume the amplifier is a constant voltage source (and most are)
Let's assume it is able to output 30 volts (and it is very likely to be able to).

According to Kirchoff's law,
In the row with 2 shakers, each would have 15 volts dropped across it. (half of the 30 volts)
In the row with 3 shakers, each would have 10 volts dropped across it. (one third of the 30 volts)

Power = voltage squared, divided by resistance, so....
( 10 volts * 10 volts ) / 4 ohms = 25 watts to each of the shakers in the string of three

(15 volts * 15 volts ) / 4 ohms = 56.25 watts to each of the shakers in the string of two.

As you can see, two of your shakers each get 56.25 watts, the other three each get 25 watts... It is NOT going to be even shaking.

To prove my numbers...
The total load to the amplifier is:
1 / (( 1 / ( 4 ohms + 4 ohms + 4 ohms ) ) + ( 1 / ( 4 ohms + 4 ohms) ))
or
1 / (( 1 / 12 ) + ( 1 / 8 ))
or
1 / ( .083333 + .125 )
or
1 / .0208333 = 4.8 ohms total load to the amplifier.

Ohms's law says that "voltage / resistance = current"
When the amplifier is outputting 30 volts into 4.8 ohms the current (in amperes) will be
30 volts / 4.8 ohms = 6.25 amperes

The formula for power (in watts) is:
"voltage * current = wattage"
30 volts * 6.25 amperes = 187.5 watts.

Remember earlier I said two of the shakers were going to each get 56.25 watts and the others each get 25. Watch when I add them up.

25 + 25 + 25 + 56.25 + 56.25 = 187.5 watts ... just like I expected, it all adds up, regardless of how you do the math.

Unfortunately, the shaking is nowhere near even...

Joe L.
post #1544 of 2505 Old 06-13-2008, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh yes, before you even ask, there are only two ways to connect 5 shakers to a single channel amplifier and get them to all shake the same amount.

One way is all in series. The 5 shakers will add up to a 20 ohm load to the amplifier. If you had that same 30 volts output available you would get 6 volts across each shaker.

( 6 * 6 ) / 4 = 9 watts per shaker.... perhaps a tiny bit low, but it might work

The other way to get even shaking is all in parallel... however... it is a near impossible load for most amplifiers at 0.66666 ohms. Odds are the amplifier will overheat and self destruct if it works at all. I do NOT suggest you use this method.

You could add a 6th shaker and get even shaking with your original drawing. Or, you could use a 4 ohm 50 watt resistor in place of the 6th shaker and get even shaking... Be aware, the resistor will get very hot, so do not let it contact flammable materials.

Joe L
post #1545 of 2505 Old 06-13-2008, 09:15 PM

Thanks a lot for the quick response Joe. I like the fact that my seat will get 56W. That's all I care and 25 w per shaker at the back row should be sufficient . I will be using 1 Aura Pro on each Berkline 13174s. This is the amp I will be using

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=739

Good deal.

Thanks again.
post #1546 of 2505 Old 07-03-2008, 04:23 AM

Here is my setup. I have onkyo 705 with 7.1 speaker system. The subwoofer is the klipsch RT-10d. I want to use 2 aura pro shakers can I use a Y cable and hook my subwoofer on one end and put another RCA splitter on the other end and then run the aura pro 2 of them in series. since aura are rated 4 ohms I can still drive the channel at 8 ohm same as the woofer ...am I correct. If this does not sound right what settings should I be using.... please advice

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
post #1547 of 2505 Old 07-05-2008, 11:45 AM

I've already asked a couple people on this forum, but I need some second opinions. This is whats messing me up...

Where do I connect the other end of the "Y" cable? I was told to connect it to AUX, but looking at the AUX input on the back of my old receiver, it shows a red and white circle...would that shakers still work if I connect the end of the "Y" to just the white circle?? Or am I going to need any other cable to make this work...I'm sorry I'm a noob at this. Here's a pic of my old receiver

post #1548 of 2505 Old 07-05-2008, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

You can connect the cable to either the white (left channel) or red (right channel) jack. Then, you would connect eh + and - leads as you have drawn to the same channel speaker output. (If you use the left channel in, connect the shakers to the left channel speaker jacks)

You can, at some time in the future, connect two more shakers to the other channel speaker output. If you do, then the one cable currently plugged into the one jack will connect instead to another "Y" splitter and its two outputs would connect to the "red" and "white" AUX inputs and feed both channels.

Hope this helps. Your drawing was perfectly correct. (and very helpful to see exactly what you were saying)

Joe L.
post #1549 of 2505 Old 07-05-2008, 08:29 PM

Thank you so much, that's exactly the response I needed...I can't wait to get these things hooked up.
post #1550 of 2505 Old 07-08-2008, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I need some help with my shakers.

I have two of the 50W Aura shakers wired in series. These are tied back to a speaker wire.

I took an RCA splitter cable, plugged it into my ONKYO 605 subwoofer pre-out, and plugged the other ends into a Panasonic SC-HT05 (http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-SCHT.../dp/B0002472IM) DVR/VCR input. The subwoofer for the panny does all the amplifying and it has the speaker outs on it. So I have the shakers going into the Front Left channel on the panny sub.

I get nothing at all. The panny receiver has a display on the front panel that tells you if you're receiving an input (you'll see wavy lines when there's a signal coming through) and I'm not even getting anything there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #1551 of 2505 Old 07-08-2008, 08:08 PM
SRR
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakesh.S View Post

I need some help with my shakers.

I have two of the 50W Aura shakers wired in series. These are tied back to a speaker wire.

I took an RCA splitter cable, plugged it into my ONKYO 605 subwoofer pre-out, and plugged the other ends into a Panasonic SC-HT05 (http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-SCHT.../dp/B0002472IM) DVR/VCR input. The subwoofer for the panny does all the amplifying and it has the speaker outs on it. So I have the shakers going into the Front Left channel on the panny sub.

I get nothing at all. The panny receiver has a display on the front panel that tells you if you're receiving an input (you'll see wavy lines when there's a signal coming through) and I'm not even getting anything there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Your panasonic system is filtering out the bass, and should be sending it to the sub, you won't be able to use it for a shaker amp.
post #1552 of 2505 Old 07-08-2008, 08:12 PM

Not sure, but try plugging the other end of the splitter cable into the white (left channel) PHONO input.
post #1553 of 2505 Old 07-08-2008, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post

Your panasonic system is filtering out the bass, and should be sending it to the sub, you won't be able to use it for a shaker amp.

Guess I'll start looking for a cheap stereo receiver then...sucks that this system won't do the job - I even get the test tone out of it.
post #1554 of 2505 Old 07-09-2008, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I went ahead and picked up an Onkyo TX-8222 for $92 shipped off shoponkyo...it's a refurb, but that's fine. I'm hoping this will do the trick.

I was going to wait for an off brand to show up for under $100, but the onkyo has an adequate power rating and you get onkyo quality.
post #1555 of 2505 Old 07-12-2008, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I recently purchased 4 Aura Pro Bass Shakers for a riser I built. I am wondering which of these two Amps is best for me to power these:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-804

or

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-810

Opinions Please

~Josh

hidefpreview
post #1556 of 2505 Old 07-12-2008, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatboy77 View Post

I recently purchased 4 Aura Pro Bass Shakers for a riser I built. I am wondering which of these two Amps is best for me to power these:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-804

or

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-810

Opinions Please

~Josh

Aura shakers are identical internally to Aura Pro shakers. The difference between then are the external fins on the Pro models, and the binding posts on the Pro models.

At some frequencies,near their natural reasonance, it will be possible to bottom out the shakers with as little as 20-30 watts, regardless of what they say they can handle physically before they overheat. In other words, the most power you will really be able to apply is closer to 20-30 watts than 75 watts. With that in mind, the 250 watt amplifier is a better match for your power needs.

On the other hand, the odds are very high that 4 shakers on a riser will barely be detectable unless it is mounted on rubber isolators and the riser is fairly small at that. That might make you turn the gain up on the shaker amplifier until they are physically beating themselves to death, especially if you choose the 1000 watt amplifier.

So if you choose the larger amplifier, but the shakers really need about 20 watts each, or so, you feed then 250 watts each (1/4 of the power from a 1000 watt amplifier each), they'll work till the first time you play a bass intensive scene. then, they because they are too little for a riser of any size, and you have the gain turned up, they'll become expensive fuses and stop working...

My recommendation, the 250 watt amplifier, and mount the shakers directly to the seats. Keep the gain turned down until you can get a feeling of how much shaking is needed.

Joe L.
post #1557 of 2505 Old 07-15-2008, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Got the onkyo stereo amp today and hooked it up..i love these shakers. I'm getting rid of the sub and using the fronts for additional bass (infinity p362's).

Our couch is a reclining type and with the way the shakers are mounted, the effect doesn't really transfer to the area that my back rests against....it's mostly just on the seat. That's fine though.
post #1558 of 2505 Old 07-21-2008, 12:46 AM

Quick question, sorry if this has already been covered.

I'm planning on picking up two of the Aura Pro Bass Shakers to mount on a couch. I'm trying to keep this relatively cheap so I was looking at the Dayton 70W plate amp from PartsExpress.

I'm assuming that running two of the shakers in series will give me 8 ohms at the amp, however at 8 ohms the amp is rated only rated at 45W rms. I take it that this means that the shakers would only be receiving around 23W each. From what I've read, it seems that these don't need a ton of power to perform well, but I'm wondering if this will be enough? Has anyone used this amp, or could anyone offer some insight on how well this setup would work (if at all?)

Thanks
post #1559 of 2505 Old 07-21-2008, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatton View Post

Quick question, sorry if this has already been covered.

I'm planning on picking up two of the Aura Pro Bass Shakers to mount on a couch. I'm trying to keep this relatively cheap so I was looking at the Dayton 70W plate amp from PartsExpress.

I'm assuming that running two of the shakers in series will give me 8 ohms at the amp, however at 8 ohms the amp is rated only rated at 45W rms. I take it that this means that the shakers would only be receiving around 27W each. From what I've read, it seems that these don't need a ton of power to perform well, but I'm wondering if this will be enough? Has anyone used this amp, or could anyone offer some insight on how well this setup would work (if at all?)

Thanks

It will be an almost perfect match of power.
post #1560 of 2505 Old 07-23-2008, 07:36 PM

I posted thos one another thread, but this one looks more active so I will repost it here as well.

I have a three seat couch.
How many aura bass should I get for it?
Three aura bass or two aura bass pro (three maybe)??

Also how tall are they?
I dont really want to gut the couch so I am thinking of just screwing some mdf with the aura(s) attached to it underneath the couch, I am just wondering if there is enough clearance?
My couch is above 3" from the floor.

I am also curious about vibration transfer to the floor?
One of the reasons I am intersted in these shakers is that I live in an apartment and want to minimize noise/vibration to not annoy the neighbours and still have bass shakeup.

Will the couch start vibrating like crazy and some dampers will be required to prevent the vibration to the floor?
If yes, so what is recomended to do in this case?

Or it will not be an issue?

To add a couple more questions for the amp, for twenty bucks less there is the Dayton SA100 100W Subwoofer Amplifier at parts express but it doesnt have remote.

Is the remote really a necessity?
I've reading alot of posts of people that need to change the volume for the shakers all the time because it is not consistent.
Whats the opinion on this?
If the remote is a must what kind of Amp would be recomended in at this price range?

Cheers.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page