Shakers - Simple/Cheap Hookup - Visual Guide - Page 70 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers > Shakers - Simple/Cheap Hookup - Visual Guide

Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

tooskinny's Avatar tooskinny
02:06 PM Liked: 10
post #2071 of 2555
09-01-2011 | Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit View Post

The answer is it depends...

The only way you can hook it up to the receiver is to sacrifice one of the 5 non-sub channels to drive the amplified signal to the bass shaker.
The key is that you need an amplifier.
I've got an older 7.2 receiver that I use solely for bass shakers. I connect the sub output from my main receiver to the CD input of the shaker receiver, and then connect two bass shakers in series (=8 Ohms) per output. I have the shaker receiver in all channel stereo mode. I can drive up to 14 shakers simultaneously this way.

Ok so If I ran another set of speaker wire from lets say one of the front mains to the speaker input on the sub then another set of speaker wire from the out of the sub to the bass shaker that would work?
fitbrit's Avatar fitbrit
02:22 PM Liked: 29
post #2072 of 2555
09-01-2011 | Posts: 2,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooskinny View Post

Ok so If I ran another set of speaker wire from lets say one of the front mains to the speaker input on the sub then another set of speaker wire from the out of the sub to the bass shaker that would work?

It might, and I could give you a better answer if I could figure out what you're trying to say. Could you rewrite that with some punctuation, and preferably split into 2-3 sentences? Even better yet, make a list if which wires are going from which component to which.

You make no mention of the receiver, unless you meant front main speaker connectors when you said front mains. If so, it could work, except that your sub has a crossover/filter and will only send higher frequecies onto the shaker- not something you want really.
Also it would mean you lose one if the front main channels, unless 'another wire' meant in parallel with the speaker. Also not recommended. Best eould be to buy a cheap Dayton amp from partsexpress.com.
03:00 PM Liked: 10
post #2073 of 2555
Quote:

The answer is it depends...

The only way you can hook it up to the receiver is to sacrifice one of the 5 non-sub channels to drive the amplified signal to the bass shaker.
The key is that you need an amplifier.
I've got an older 7.2 receiver that I use solely for bass shakers. I connect the sub output from my main receiver to the CD input of the shaker receiver, and then connect two bass shakers in series (=8 Ohms) per output. I have the shaker receiver in all channel stereo mode. I can drive up to 14 shakers simultaneously this way.

Sorry for the rant. You said that it could work, but depends. Basically I was thinking about running two speakers wires from one of the speaker channels. Connect that set of speaker cable to the input on the sub, run another set of speaker wire from the output of the sub to the bass shaker.

You kind of answered that I would here higher freq threw the bass shaker doing it that way.

Can you think of another way it could be done with a dedicated 5.1 receiver?

Thanks
fitbrit's Avatar fitbrit
03:11 PM Liked: 29
post #2074 of 2555
Are you using all five amplified channels on your receiver for speakers?
You really need a separate amp if you are. You'll get a lot better performance and it'll be a lot easier to hook-up too. Otherwise you need to get some crossovers that will split an amplified signal to low frequecies going to the shakers, and the higher frequencies to you front speakers. You will need to do this with two shakers and not just one. You will need a way of making sure that the impedance the receiver sees for this weirdness is within its specifications.
You can probably get a 70s or 80s era amp/receiver that'll do the job for about $20 on craigslist.
03:18 PM Liked: 10
post #2075 of 2555
Quote:

Are you using all five amplified channels on your receiver for speakers?
You really need a separate amp if you are. You'll get a lot better performance and it'll be a lot easier to hook-up too. Otherwise you need to get some crossovers that will split an amplified signal to low frequecies going to the shakers, and the higher frequencies to you front speakers. You will need to do this with two shakers and not just one. You will need a way of making sure that the impedance the receiver sees for this weirdness is within its specifications.
You can probably get a 70s or 80s ear amp/receiver that'll do the job for about $20 on craigslist.

Yep using all five channels. It could work on a 7.2 receiver only using 5.1 channels?

Would it just be easier and perform better to pick up a cheap external amp?
fitbrit's Avatar fitbrit
03:28 PM Liked: 29
post #2076 of 2555
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooskinny View Post

Yep using all five channels. It could work on a 7.2 receiver only using 5.1 channels?

Would it just be easier and perform better to pick up a cheap external amp?

It could work if the receiver had multichannel analogue inputs. Others in this thread have found different solutions, so try to go through previous posts if you're interested.

Yes it would be best to get a cheap used or new external receiver/amp. Are you using Aura Bass Shakers? They only go down to 20Hz so regular receivers/amps will handle that. Otherwise e.g. you have a buttkicker LFE, you should get an amp that goes lower, typically a subwoofer amp.
03:41 PM Liked: 10
post #2077 of 2555
Quote:

It could work if the receiver had multichannel analogue inputs. Others in this thread have found different solutions, so try to go through previous posts if you're interested.

Yes it would be best to get a cheap used or new external receiver/amp. Are you using Aura Bass Shakers? They only go down to 20Hz so regular receivers/amps will handle that. Otherwise e.g. you have a buttkicker LFE, you should get an amp that goes lower, typically a subwoofer amp.

It's just one single aura bass shaker.

I just remembered I have a extra working MFW amp. That would work, right?
vardo's Avatar vardo
01:51 PM Liked: 18
post #2078 of 2555
09-02-2011 | Posts: 683
Not to interrupt the conversation between you and fitbrit, but yes an mfw amp
would work. Just run a sub line out from your existing sub (y-splitter) into the
input of the mfw. Wire the speaker leads from the mfw to the shaker.
Adjust the level of the amp to match the shaker.

I strongly suggest you buy another aura shaker, one is pretty weak at a single sitting
position. Mount the shaker(s) one closer to the front of the seat, and one towards
the rear. Do not attach the shaker to springs or such in the chair/recliner, as that will
really cut down on the vibration.

I have 4 auras wired in series/parallel, two under each home theater recliner.
Powered by a Parts Express 240w amp, they have worked great for 4 years,

Good luck, vardo
03:59 PM Liked: 10
post #2079 of 2555
09-02-2011 | Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by vardo View Post

Not to interrupt the conversation between you and fitbrit, but yes an mfw amp
would work. Just run a sub line out from your existing sub (y-splitter) into the
input of the mfw. Wire the speaker leads from the mfw to the shaker.
Adjust the level of the amp to match the shaker.

I strongly suggest you buy another aura shaker, one is pretty weak at a single sitting
position. Mount the shaker(s) one closer to the front of the seat, and one towards
the rear. Do not attach the shaker to springs or such in the chair/recliner, as that will
really cut down on the vibration.

I have 4 auras wired in series/parallel, two under each home theater recliner.
Powered by a Parts Express 240w amp, they have worked great for 4 years,

Good luck, vardo

vardo. Thanks so much for the exact way to wire. That is how I thought it would work. Can only one be ran off the MFW amp? This for my brother so it's up to him if he needs to add more later.
vardo's Avatar vardo
06:22 PM Liked: 18
post #2080 of 2555
09-02-2011 | Posts: 683
tooskinny, I don't know what version mfw amp you have, so I don't know the wattage.
My guess is you could easily run 6 aura shakers with it.

Like I stated in my post above, my Dayton 240w amp can easily move 4 shakers
with no problem.

Regards, vardo
10:07 AM Liked: 10
post #2081 of 2555
09-03-2011 | Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by vardo View Post

tooskinny, I don't know what version mfw amp you have, so I don't know the wattage.
My guess is you could easily run 6 aura shakers with it.

Like I stated in my post above, my Dayton 240w amp can easily move 4 shakers
with no problem.

Regards, vardo

The amp is rated at 300w Turns out my brother has a sub I gave him that blew the driver.. I'm going to try using that amp first rated a 200w.

Thanks again vardo.
03:12 PM Liked: 10
post #2082 of 2555
09-04-2011 | Posts: 319
Just wanted to come back and thank everyone who helped me out. Hook up was simple thanks to the replies. The amp worked great and my brother loves it.......

Thanks again
Skylinestar's Avatar Skylinestar
08:15 AM Liked: 73
post #2083 of 2555
09-18-2011 | Posts: 1,573
Currently I have a little Klipsch SW-450 subwoofer. Should I upgrade to a better sub or just buy a Buttkicker to complement the SW-450?
pjp's Avatar pjp
10:06 AM Liked: 18
post #2084 of 2555
09-19-2011 | Posts: 430
Can anyone provide suggestions about what to use for rubber feet under theater chairs? I was happy with the shaking effect without any additional feet on Palliser Pacifico seats, but they slid on the wood floor too easily and the 4 side-by-side seats were impossible to keep aligned. I added these feet ( http://www.amazon.com/Penn-Elcom-F16.../ref=pd_cp_e_4 ) which helped eliminate the sliding, but the shaking effect feels very artificial now -- it feels like the chair is vibrating rather than the room shaking as it felt before. I know some people here are using rubber isolation feet and find that it improves the shaking effect, but I'm finding the effect much worse since adding these particular feet. I'm not sure if these feet are poor for the task or if it's something about my particular setup that causes it to be worse than without feet. Please let me know which feet you have used and how it affected the shaking effect.
ufokillerz's Avatar ufokillerz
10:30 AM Liked: 45
post #2085 of 2555
09-19-2011 | Posts: 1,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post

Can anyone provide suggestions about what to use for rubber feet under theater chairs? I was happy with the shaking effect without any additional feet on Palliser Pacifico seats, but they slid on the wood floor too easily and the 4 side-by-side seats were impossible to keep aligned. I added these feet ( http://www.amazon.com/Penn-Elcom-F16.../ref=pd_cp_e_4 ) which helped eliminate the sliding, but the shaking effect feels very artificial now -- it feels like the chair is vibrating rather than the room shaking as it felt before. I know some people here are using rubber isolation feet and find that it improves the shaking effect, but I'm finding the effect much worse since adding these particular feet. I'm not sure if these feet are poor for the task or if it's something about my particular setup that causes it to be worse than without feet. Please let me know which feet you have used and how it affected the shaking effect.

http://www.markertek.com/Audio-Equip...COM-9106.xhtml
i use these on my berklines
they work great, the ones from markertek are rubbery and soft, the ones i got from partsexpress, exact same feet, were hard and smelled bad. You might have some hard feet from partsexpress.

maybe you should take a picture of how you have the feet mounted to share, maybe something is wrong with the way its mounted
pjp's Avatar pjp
11:22 AM Liked: 18
post #2086 of 2555
09-19-2011 | Posts: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokillerz View Post

http://www.markertek.com/Audio-Equip...COM-9106.xhtml
i use these on my berklines
they work great, the ones from markertek are rubbery and soft, the ones i got from partsexpress, exact same feet, were hard and smelled bad. You might have some hard feet from partsexpress.

maybe you should take a picture of how you have the feet mounted to share, maybe something is wrong with the way its mounted

Thanks, I might give the feet you suggest a try to see if they work better. I don't have a photo handy, but the ones I have are just screwed to the bottom of the standard Palliser chair feet (those feet are hard plastic). The ones I have are much shorter than the ones you are using (3/8" vs 1"), which I thought would have less of an isolation effect, but it seems like they isolate a lot. I think it's worth trying the ones you have suggested since they are working for you. The feet you have are larger diameter than mine, so maybe that extra diameter helps. Also, the contact patch on yours is a ring rather than the flat rubber pad on mine, so that may also make a significant difference. I think I will give them a try and see how it works.
ufokillerz's Avatar ufokillerz
02:25 PM Liked: 45
post #2087 of 2555
09-21-2011 | Posts: 1,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post

Thanks, I might give the feet you suggest a try to see if they work better. I don't have a photo handy, but the ones I have are just screwed to the bottom of the standard Palliser chair feet (those feet are hard plastic). The ones I have are much shorter than the ones you are using (3/8" vs 1"), which I thought would have less of an isolation effect, but it seems like they isolate a lot. I think it's worth trying the ones you have suggested since they are working for you. The feet you have are larger diameter than mine, so maybe that extra diameter helps. Also, the contact patch on yours is a ring rather than the flat rubber pad on mine, so that may also make a significant difference. I think I will give them a try and see how it works.

i used these on my berkline, i had 1 on the bottom of each original hard plastic foot on my frame (keeping the original in place), and on the wooden arm rests i replaced the original plastic one with 2 stacked rubber ones. The heights happened to match up.
pjp's Avatar pjp
12:37 PM Liked: 18
post #2088 of 2555
09-22-2011 | Posts: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokillerz View Post

i used these on my berkline, i had 1 on the bottom of each original hard plastic foot on my frame (keeping the original in place), and on the wooden arm rests i replaced the original plastic one with 2 stacked rubber ones. The heights happened to match up.

Thanks for the info -- replacing the original hare plastic feet is a very interesting thought, I'll definitely check into whether that's possible with the Pallisers when the feet I ordered come in.
wraslor's Avatar wraslor
11:35 AM Liked: 15
post #2089 of 2555
09-30-2011 | Posts: 140
Ok guys i'm new to this so here goes. I picked up 4 of the k-woon shakers 60 watt at 2 ohm. plus a dayton 240w amp. It does 240 at 4 ohm and 170 at 8 ohm. What would be the best way to wire these up? I was thinking about just doing them in a series which would put an 8 ohm load? would I bridge the connection on the amp?

I appreciate any input thanks.
Kevin12586's Avatar Kevin12586
08:52 PM Liked: 17
post #2090 of 2555
10-01-2011 | Posts: 4,059
So I installed my bass shakers today on my Berkline chairs and like the rumble that I got. Unfortunately the stereo receiver I bought doesn't have an internal crossover so I get everything from 80Hz and below. I bought an external crossover, but didn't realize that it is for a car install so it needs 8V DC of power so that will be going back to Amazon.

Can anyone recommend an external crossover I can use to filter out everything above 50Hz.

Thanks
K5/SS's Avatar K5/SS
05:05 PM Liked: 49
post #2091 of 2555
10-03-2011 | Posts: 269
I am about ready to but two of the wireless buttkicker kits but I have a couple of questions....
1) can I hook the wireless units up to my LFE outputs on my Martin Logan Abyss subwoofers?
2) do you guys think two of the wireless kits would be enough "kick" for the average person on a sectional couch?
3) would I be much better off buying two of the LFE Buttkicker kits over the wireless kits(I can run the wires but I would prefer not to rip up my carpet again)?
4) I see that allot of you guys attach the Buttkicker units directly to your couch/chair frame. Does this work better than the leg plates that Buttkicker supplies in their kits?
Sorry for all of the questions but I know nothing about these shakers. My receiver is a Pioneer Elite SC-35 if that helps at all. Thanks for your assistance
08:56 PM Liked: 17
post #2092 of 2555
10-04-2011 | Posts: 4,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin12586 View Post

So I installed my bass shakers today on my Berkline chairs and like the rumble that I got. Unfortunately the stereo receiver I bought doesn't have an internal crossover so I get everything from 80Hz and below. I bought an external crossover, but didn't realize that it is for a car install so it needs 8V DC of power so that will be going back to Amazon.

Can anyone recommend an external crossover I can use to filter out everything above 50Hz.

Thanks

In case anyone is interested I plan to get these to filter out everything above 50 Hz for my shakers.
UDubFan17's Avatar UDubFan17
11:41 AM Liked: 10
post #2093 of 2555
10-11-2011 | Posts: 197
Ordered 4 aura shakers and was wondering what the ideal frequence range people are using with these? Is it 50hz and below? or are people just letting the receivers send full LFE signal to them?
fitbrit's Avatar fitbrit
12:04 PM Liked: 29
post #2094 of 2555
10-11-2011 | Posts: 2,087
I have a 9.2 receiver, and it can set the crossover frequency for the subwoofer (and shakers) separately for each of the 4 pair and centre channel. So basically I send (lowest frequency handled by speakers + 10 Hz) to the buttkickers/shakers.
UDubFan17's Avatar UDubFan17
12:09 PM Liked: 10
post #2095 of 2555
10-11-2011 | Posts: 197
Quote:

I have a 9.2 receiver, and it can set the crossover frequency for the subwoofer (and shakers) separately for each of the 4 pair and centre channel. So basically I send (lowest frequency handled by speakers + 10 Hz) to the buttkickers/shakers.

So if ya have your speakers at 80hz your sending 90hz to the shakers?
03:43 PM Liked: 17
post #2096 of 2555
10-16-2011 | Posts: 4,059
I installed mine like this on my Berkline's and like the shake I get out of them. You may get better results if you mount your similar.

Good luck
jeffbab's Avatar jeffbab
11:32 AM Liked: 20
post #2097 of 2555
10-17-2011 | Posts: 58
I haven't read through the whole thread yet, but was wondering what people were doing for amplification for their buttkicker LFE's? I was wanting to buy the LFE kit since it seems like such a good deal, but every place appears to be out of stock of the kits and / or the amps.

Is everyone just going with a different amp, like the Crown 1500? Or is there new stock on the horizon?

Thanks
jagzjagz's Avatar jagzjagz
11:33 PM Liked: 10
post #2098 of 2555
10-26-2011 | Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbab View Post

I haven't read through the whole thread yet, but was wondering what people were doing for amplification for their buttkicker LFE's? I was wanting to buy the LFE kit since it seems like such a good deal, but every place appears to be out of stock of the kits and / or the amps.

Is everyone just going with a different amp, like the Crown 1500? Or is there new stock on the horizon?

Thanks

Hey Jeff. I'm in the same boat as you. The buttkicker AMP is out of stock most places until late November. I was looking into Behringer 2500 (as it is supposed to be a *cleaner* power amp), but I encountered a few unanswered questions,

1) The Behringer isn't really designed to work with the Buttkicker LFE (in the sense that I don't know if it really has a flat response down to 5Hz. The buttkicker amp appears more suited for LFE content).

2) The Behringer probably can't be driven via RCA input. It requires pro gear, which means XLR or whatever other 1/4" inch input they use. Even if you use an RCA/XLR conversion, apparently the voltage in might not be enough when using regular consumer gear (sub outs on lets say, an Onkyo TX-SR608 amp like mine). You have to double check that yourself.

So I'm basically stuck waiting for the Buttkicker amp as well. It apparently has more distortion than other amps, but for bass shaker purposes it seems to work fine.

Unless someone can suggest how to get over these two limitations, I will have to wait.
K5/SS's Avatar K5/SS
11:54 PM Liked: 49
post #2099 of 2555
10-27-2011 | Posts: 269
Well just got my Buttkicker LFE kit with an extra LFE module because I have a large sectional couch. I can't believe I waited this long to add these babies! I do have a couple of setup questions.
1- I have my klipsch reference 5.2 set at 80hz. What would be the optimum setting for the Butkicker 1000 amplifier high cutoff frequency?
2- what are the low cutoff and the high cutoff switches for?
I have my low pass filter on my two Martin Logan abyss subwoofers set at 50hz and I am running the LFE signal to the Buttkicker amplifier via the sub out on one of my subs. Sorry if these questions are totally noob but I don't know much about HT but I am addicted to the equipment
fitbrit's Avatar fitbrit
11:14 AM Liked: 29
post #2100 of 2555
10-28-2011 | Posts: 2,087
1) 80-100 Hz is fine for high cut off unless you really like the couch to shake at even higher frequencies.
2) The high cut-off switch allows you to use the dial and choose what the highest frequency the buttkicker will respond to.
The low cut-off switch limits the buttkicker to 25 Hz - a waste to use this, in my opinion, as I know that my LFE easily handles 10 Hz.

What concerns me is that you have your Klipsch speakers set at 80 Hz but your subwoofer set at 50 Hz; what is handling the 50 to 80 Hz range?
Also, does your AV receiver have subwoofer cross-over control? If so, that will supersede all other settings except the low pass cutoffs should you choose to enable it.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Subscribe to this Thread