pjp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedallas2005 View Post

pjp,

I used a ART DJ Pre II Phono Preamp, someone on one of these threads recommended it and its perfect, compact and does the trick. It was $39 bucks. Thank god I got this thing running i was getting deeper and deeper into a endless $$$ pit it seemed like.

Thanks for sharing, that looks like a nice preamp. The gain is borderline for the mini-shakers I have in the driving seat, so something like this might help. The phono preamp has a built-in RIAA equalization, which boosts low frequencies considerable and attenuates high frequencies, but I think it should be fine for shaker use. Glad to hear that you have it up and running after making the investment!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 2506 Old 12-09-2011, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
parts express.... anyone else order from there and have them shipped to canada?

not only was shipping like almost $60 .... I had to pay another $50 C.O.D ...
I wasn't home but my friend covered it and I have to pay her back .. what is that all about... from what I read on parts express... the duties or whatever shipping fees were included in the $60 I paid .... is the gov's way of taxing me or something ? grrr!

this doesn't happen when I order from monoprice ... what's the difference ?
post #2163 of 2506 Old 12-09-2011, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake180 View Post

parts express.... anyone else order from there and have them shipped to canada?

not only was shipping like almost $60 .... I had to pay another $50 C.O.D ...
I wasn't home but my friend covered it and I have to pay her back .. what is that all about... from what I read on parts express... the duties or whatever shipping fees were included in the $60 I paid .... is the gov's way of taxing me or something ? grrr!

this doesn't happen when I order from monoprice ... what's the difference ?

Kind of off-topic, but i'll try to answer. A lot depends on the shipping method you choose. The higher priced shipping options from Monoprice (UPS express/expedited international) include brokerage fees, which can be an extortionate percentage of a lower priced item.
It would seem that you got charged duties and taxes on items from the Canadian and Ontario governments, or that the shipping company charged your brokerage to clear the items through customs.

Personally, since i live 40 minutes from the border, I just pay $125 per year for an address in the US and have all my US purchases sent there. Then every couple of months, or more frequently if urgent, I drive down and pick it all up, pay my taxes at the border, and still end up saving a ton on shipping costs and brokerage fees.
post #2164 of 2506 Old 12-09-2011, 01:26 PM

Thanks ... I'm still new to this stuff ... and young .... thanks for the info ... the question marks cleared things up for me on this sight .. and widened my eyes.

http://www.thefinalcost.com/
post #2165 of 2506 Old 12-09-2011, 01:27 PM

I ended up paying nearly $300 for what should've cost me about $160
post #2166 of 2506 Old 12-09-2011, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I ended up paying nearly $300 for what should've cost me about $160

Yeah, my first cross border trip paid for the annual cost of the mail-box 10 times over! If it's not too much inconvenience, you should look into these services. There's now a flat fee per package deal as well called Kinek, I think.
post #2167 of 2506 Old 12-09-2011, 01:35 PM

Thanks fitbrit ... I will look into these things... although I don't often order stuff from the states... except this time of year... this was all just a christmas present from myself to myself ... that passed onto my girlfriend ... (she's picking up $200 of my tab) one of a few things she got me ... don't know the others yet... She got her IPAD2 early so I get to set this up this weekend !!! yay

p.s. .... stay handy ... as soon as I get to the nitty gritty... either saturday night but more likely sunday... I'll be posting like a mad man trying to get answers quickly ... hoping it goes smoothly though !
post #2168 of 2506 Old 12-09-2011, 02:54 PM

Okay I have a really stupid question ... i feel like an idiot here....

1) it's just regular speaker wire that connects these shakers together and to the amp... ? ( I believe yes)

2) when wiring the two shakers together in a series ... the wire that goes from + to - ..... does it matter whether I use the part of my speaker wire that is marked as positive or if I use the negative ? I am assuming the wire is all the same and the jacket is only marked so you can keep track when running distances etc. I would just split(separate) my speaker wire to wire from the dayton amp to the shakers

does that make any sense?

On the bottom of my amp plate there's a red and black wire with funky ends... what are those used for ? (car audio I'm guessing?)
post #2169 of 2506 Old 12-09-2011, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, the wires are all the same, internally.
post #2170 of 2506 Old 12-09-2011, 03:02 PM

the sub out from my receiver should that be put into the left or right channel on the amp ... does it make any difference if I use a Y split (fem -> 2 male) to put it in the left and right rca inputs ?
post #2171 of 2506 Old 12-09-2011, 04:02 PM
pjp

Quote:

Okay I have a really stupid question ... i feel like an idiot here....

1) it's just regular speaker wire that connects these shakers together and to the amp... ? ( I believe yes)

2) when wiring the two shakers together in a series ... the wire that goes from + to - ..... does it matter whether I use the part of my speaker wire that is marked as positive or if I use the negative ? I am assuming the wire is all the same and the jacket is only marked so you can keep track when running distances etc. I would just split(separate) my speaker wire to wire from the dayton amp to the shakers

does that make any sense?

On the bottom of my amp plate there's a red and black wire with funky ends... what are those used for ? (car audio I'm guessing?)

Regular speaker wire is fine. There is no physical difference in the wire marked positive and negative so, in theory, it doesn't matter how it is wired. In practice, however, it is definitely best to follow the color scheme of the wire and terminals so that you are 100% certain all of the shakers have the same polarity so they are in phase. If any of them are out of phase, they will be moving in the opposite directions and the shaking motion will be cancelled out (each of them will be shaking at the same intensity, but you will feel a lot less shaking if they are out of phase).

Quote:

the sub out from my receiver should that be put into the left or right channel on the amp ... does it make any difference if I use a Y split (fem -> 2 male) to put it in the left and right rca inputs ?

If the amp has a "mono" input, then you shouldn't need a splitter. Often the amp inputs are marked with something like "left/mono" on one input and "right" on the other, so you would just hook connect it to the left.
post #2172 of 2506 Old 12-09-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post

Regular speaker wire is fine. There is no physical difference in the wire marked positive and negative so, in theory, it doesn't matter how it is wired. In practice, however, it is definitely best to follow the color scheme of the wire and terminals so that you are 100% certain all of the shakers have the same polarity so they are in phase. If any of them are out of phase, they will be moving in the opposite directions and the shaking motion will be cancelled out (each of them will be shaking at the same intensity, but you will feel a lot less shaking if they are out of phase).

If the amp has a "mono" input, then you shouldn't need a splitter. Often the amp inputs are marked with something like "left/mono" on one input and "right" on the other, so you would just hook connect it to the left.

Thanks pjp.

I checked out the amp (SA240-B) and there is a left and right input and output .... neither input says anything about mono though ((I will check the manual for more info))

I am thinking since it's a mono signal coming from the receiver it shouldn't matter whether I use the left input or the right input .... just so long as I use the corresponding output with the speaker wire.
post #2173 of 2506 Old 12-09-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDUpstate View Post

Order an in-line FMOD from Parts Express. I'd start with a 70 or 50hz low pass filter.

I think I saw them for $26 for a pair.

Easy-peasy.

Where abouts in a typical setup with two shakers would the FMOD go? I ordered the pair, and from what I've read it's best to start with one see how it sounds than plug in another one... I am guessing it would connect to the line running from the reciever to the amp.
post #2174 of 2506 Old 12-09-2011, 08:09 PM

No Shake....

Should this work in theory ... just trying to see some shake ...

1.) Sub-out from Receiver preout (RCA)
2.) goes into Y-split female->male,male which goes into AMP input L and R (RCA)
3.) speaker wire out from + and - of right channel "high level in/out (to speakers)
4.) speaker wire connected to + and - of one Aura 50 W pro shaker

notes : I completely bi-passed my subs for now, the "low level output" is RCA connectors but the shakers input is speaker wire .. is this the problem?

I am receiving no signal to the shaker at all ... do I HAVE to wire two in series to see shake ?

Okay so I watched the video on my amp(pre amp) that I bought from parts express and the guy says that the speaker out posts are not powered to send a signal out unless I run speaker wire tofrom my current receiver to the receiver in posts ... I get that .... but he makes it sound like I should be using the BLACK AND RED wire that comes out of the back of the pre amp .... which way is better... ?

Also the + and - wires out the back have a metal tab on the end of each of them that doesn't fit into the aura shakers ... should I attach speaker wire to the tab with electrical tape ... or just snip the tabs off peel back jacket and join speaker wire by braiding that way then cover with electrical tape....?

PLEASE HELP ... my critics are going to be all over me soon ! I'm getting nervous... don't know what's wrong...
post #2175 of 2506 Old 12-10-2011, 06:46 AM
pjp

Quote:

No Shake....

Should this work in theory ... just trying to see some shake ...

1.) Sub-out from Receiver preout (RCA)
2.) goes into Y-split female->male,male which goes into AMP input L and R (RCA)
3.) speaker wire out from + and - of right channel "high level in/out (to speakers)
4.) speaker wire connected to + and - of one Aura 50 W pro shaker

notes : I completely bi-passed my subs for now, the "low level output" is RCA connectors but the shakers input is speaker wire .. is this the problem?

I am receiving no signal to the shaker at all ... do I HAVE to wire two in series to see shake ?

Okay so I watched the video on my amp(pre amp) that I bought from parts express and the guy says that the speaker out posts are not powered to send a signal out unless I run speaker wire tofrom my current receiver to the receiver in posts ... I get that .... but he makes it sound like I should be using the BLACK AND RED wire that comes out of the back of the pre amp .... which way is better... ?

Also the + and - wires out the back have a metal tab on the end of each of them that doesn't fit into the aura shakers ... should I attach speaker wire to the tab with electrical tape ... or just snip the tabs off peel back jacket and join speaker wire by braiding that way then cover with electrical tape....?

PLEASE HELP ... my critics are going to be all over me soon ! I'm getting nervous... don't know what's wrong...

You should be using the black and red wire that come out of your subwoofer amp to drive the shakers. The high-level in/out would be for passing through the regular speaker output of your main amplifier so it can pick off the low signal for the sub and filter the output going to your main speakers to relieve them of reproducing the low signals based on how you have the sub crossover set. Since you are using the line-level inputs, you don't need to touch the high-level in/out. For connecting to the Aura Pros, I think they have a lock-down screw / banana plug jacks if I remember correctly. Just clip the leads off and use the screw down to hold the bare wire.
post #2176 of 2506 Old 12-10-2011, 07:39 AM

I got it working on my .. own ... but thanks for confirming !!! SUCCESS ... !!! LOVING IT ... mounting later I just attached some speaker wire to the leads ... they had little plastic slip covers to hold it in place.. no need for electrical tape (for testing anyways.. .will tape them up after all is set properly .. thanks for all your help thus far... I think I've got it from here though.. will report back after everything is installed and I'm tweaking..

Thanks to everyone in this forum for all the knowledge and support.. I look forward to helping others in need down the road...

I've learned ALOT about Hz and crossovers etc this past week!
post #2177 of 2506 Old 12-10-2011, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Jake180

I also live in Canada and stop using partsexpress due to the shipping charge.
I order a lot from the states and when ever possible I chose USPost because the brockage fee is a standard $9.00 cdn no matter what the items is worth.

Just so you know about this option, and it is too bad partsexpress no longer offer this option for a few years now.

All the best

Ray

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live
post #2178 of 2506 Old 12-12-2011, 05:11 PM

I have a spare Infinity P212 subwoofer Amp because the speaker blow. I want to use this to power three shakers. This Amp is 400W, and have pos and neg output. The shaker is 50W each. Can someone recommend a connection for me? A diagram would be appreciate it.
Thanks in Advance,
LaRatta
post #2179 of 2506 Old 12-13-2011, 07:29 AM

Thanks guys for all the support on this thread!

I (with my dads help!) have successfully installed the 2 aura pro's in my couch, and have them wired in series. They run at the same time as my 2 subs which all blend together lovely.

I tried the FMOD .... didn't feel as though I was getting the output from the shakers that I wanted (especially playing battlefied, love the shake caused by my handgun!)... so I currently have two extras they are part # 266-250 at parts express.

I will likely keep one just in case I am watching a movie like saving private ryan. That's probably the best test movie I can find for these shakers considering the first 25 minutes of the movie is like chaos.

I do have one final question ... I did some reading on the tightness of the screws when installing the shakers... apparently if they are too tight it takes away much of the shaking...

should they be "snug", hand tightened, all my strength tightened, or just tightened enough that I cannot move shaker with my hand.

please elaborate on this subject (people with experience..)

thanks,
Jake
post #2180 of 2506 Old 12-13-2011, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I'm about to upgrade my 2 Woon shakers to 1 Clark Synthesis Silver.

The Woon's and Aura's I've had were both ok, but I want something a bit more powerful. They are currently being driven by a Dayton 100w plate amp, which should work fine with the Clark. I've tried the 4 Dayton Pucks, but they were just too weak to drive a couch.

Anyone use the Clarks yet? Any comparison to 2 Auras/Woons? It should blow them away.
post #2181 of 2506 Old 12-13-2011, 12:45 PM

a crude diagram of my current setup :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71190887@N07/6507005539/
post #2182 of 2506 Old 12-13-2011, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Jake,

For years I ran my shakers just "snug" so I could still see a tiny gap between the metal portion and the board I mounted to. Never tightened down completely firmly.
post #2183 of 2506 Old 12-14-2011, 11:28 AM

Thanks pcrx ... I have a funny feeling mine might be too tight .... at first they were clunking because they were too loose... my dad was mounting.... I think he cranked them pretty tight the second time around... . I will check tonight, need to slip the rug under the legs of the couch to alleviate some of the hardwood shaking in my unit....
post #2184 of 2506 Old 12-15-2011, 06:03 AM

Liked: 19
Holy shake me outta my seat! "Super 8" movie was my inagural movie for my final tweaked setup of my shakers....the friggin Train Wreck Scene was out of this world! HOLY SHEEETS! I felt like I was standing in the middle of it! Made all the cuts burns and pain in the ass of setting these things up worth it!!! All I can say is WOW!
post #2185 of 2506 Old 12-15-2011, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdolen View Post

Super 8, I think my couch must have moved about a foot during the train crash.

Took your advice bro ...THANK YOU!!!!
post #2186 of 2506 Old 12-15-2011, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Holy shake me outta my seat! "Super 8" movie was my inagural movie for my final tweaked setup of my shakers....the friggin Train Wreck Scene was out of this world! HOLY SHEEETS! I felt like I was standing in the middle of it! Made all the cuts burns and pain in the ass of setting these things up worth it!!! All I can say is WOW!

6 Buttkickers should have moved the foundation of your house. lol

Can't wait to try this with the clark silver.
post #2187 of 2506 Old 12-15-2011, 07:40 AM

I have a question for those of you with AMP and technical experience etc...

95% of the time I am watching action movies by myself in a dedicated movie room, the wife and 2 girls have 0 interest.

Will my amp get damaged if I only run 1 channel instead of 2 most of the time?
My front row of shakers is hooked to 1 channel and the back to 1 channel, as I said 95% of the time its just me, I'd like to turn the back row off...what do you guys think? Will the power output be skewed toward 1 channel after continious use of 1 channel?
post #2188 of 2506 Old 12-15-2011, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a question for those of you with AMP and technical experience etc...

95% of the time I am watching action movies by myself in a dedicated movie room, the wife and 2 girls have 0 interest.

Will my amp get damaged if I only run 1 channel instead of 2 most of the time?
My front row of shakers is hooked to 1 channel and the back to 1 channel, as I said 95% of the time its just me, I'd like to turn the back row off...what do you guys think? Will the power output be skewed toward 1 channel after continious use of 1 channel?

If it is a 2 channel amp, if you disconnect the other speakers or turn off the second channel, the power wont be changed.
post #2189 of 2506 Old 12-19-2011, 05:58 AM

Is it normal for your main receiver volume (not the shakers pre-amp) to control the level of shake ... so the louder the volume the more shake you get.... because somehow I was under the impression that you could have the volume low on a movie and still receive lots of "SHAKE" ....

Can someone please clear this up for me.... wondering if I have done anything wrong in my setup....

Cheers,

Jake
post #2190 of 2506 Old 12-19-2011, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Less shake with lower receiver volume is normal; remember the shakers are connected to the subwoofer output. Lowering master volume reduces sub volume ( as one would desire, usually), so less shake too. This is where a remote controlled amp for your shakers would be most useful.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page