Shakers - Simple/Cheap Hookup - Visual Guide - Page 75 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #2221 of 2494 Old 01-06-2012, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone have an extra 50hz FMOD they're not using? I'd like to try one with my shakers and would prefer to save a few bucks over ordering 2 from PE. PM me if you're interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2222 of 2494 Old 01-07-2012, 08:49 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoyleS View Post

Question for those of you using Behringer or other amps for your Buttkickers. The BK amps all have low pass adjustments to set the max frequency going to your Buttkickers. The normal sub out on a receiver typically passes everything from 120 Hz and down while many adjust the BK amps to only send 80 Hz and below. Are those using non BK amps doing anything to limit the max frequency sent to the Buttkickers or are you finding the Sub out to work fine. I understand that typically you need to add a preamp to get the level up for amps like Crown and Behringer. My BK amp died and am looking to replace it with a Behringer EP2000 or EP4000. Both are in the $300 range which is about the same as a new BK Amp.

The Crown XLS series has low pass filters you can set as low as 50 hz.
post #2223 of 2494 Old 01-09-2012, 06:12 AM
pjp

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

I sit on a plastic chair while watching my movie. (google image for plastic chair if you wanna know the type of chair that I'm referring to).

I am planning to buy and hookup a Buttkicker Gamer kit to enhance my movie experience. I think the Gamer kit is good enough to shake this light plastic chair...but I'm worried that will it be too much (in terms of force pounding on a plastic).

Any thoughts?

My guess is that it would be too much for a plastic chair, but maybe it would work fine if you keep the gain low. I used two Dayton Pucks driven by a T-amp in a driving seat (fiberglass chair bolted to a metal frame) and it works quite well.

I posted a picture of that setup in post 2125.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post21314491
post #2224 of 2494 Old 01-13-2012, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Guys,

Sorry for the urgent question, but I'm getting construction underway tomorrow on my kickers and riser.

I have an oddball situation, and need guidance.

I have a BKA-1000W amp.
1 Buttkicker Advance
3 Aura Pro shakers

Two rows. 4 chairs up front. 3 in the back.

What are your reccomendations on making use of the gear, and is it ok to put the Aura and the advance both on the 1000W amp. I don't know how much different the two shakers are rated. Thx
post #2225 of 2494 Old 01-14-2012, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiger View Post

Guys,

Sorry for the urgent question, but I'm getting construction underway tomorrow on my kickers and riser.

I have a BKA-1000W amp.
1 Buttkicker Advance
3 Aura Pro shakers

What are your reccomendations on making use of the gear, and is it ok to put the Aura and the advance both on the 1000W amp. I don't know how much different the two shakers are rated. Thx

The monitoring of this section is terrible, LOL.

Can anyone provide any insight into some of my questions above? Construction is beginning today on the riser.
post #2226 of 2494 Old 01-16-2012, 04:46 AM
pjp

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by eiger View Post

Guys,

I have a BKA-1000W amp.
1 Buttkicker Advance
3 Aura Pro shakers

I don't have any experience with the Buttkicker amp or shakers, but electrically you should be able to hook them all up to one amp. The Aura Pros are 4 ohm, if you know the impedance of the Buttkicker Advance and the operating range of the amp, then it's easy to figure out how to hook them up using a combination of series and parallel most likely.

Once hooked up, you may get very different shaking levels from the Aura Pro's versus the Buttkicker just due to different sensitivities. Also, it's not clear how you can distribute 4 shakers across 7 chairs, normally you would use one shaker per chair. Finally, the Aura Pros are rated for 50w, so theoretically you could overload them with that amp, but it probably won't happen unless you really crank up the level.
post #2227 of 2494 Old 01-16-2012, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post

I don't have any experience with the Buttkicker amp or shakers, but electrically you should be able to hook them all up to one amp. The Aura Pros are 4 ohm, if you know the impedance of the Buttkicker Advance and the operating range of the amp, then it's easy to figure out how to hook them up using a combination of series and parallel most likely.

Once hooked up, you may get very different shaking levels from the Aura Pro's versus the Buttkicker just due to different sensitivities. Also, it's not clear how you can distribute 4 shakers across 7 chairs, normally you would use one shaker per chair. Finally, the Aura Pros are rated for 50w, so theoretically you could overload them with that amp, but it probably won't happen unless you really crank up the level.

PJP -

You are right. Wiring for 7 shakers is difficult to do. I think it will be much easier if I just leave one seat without a shaker and just wire for 6.

Given that scenario, what's the smartest way to wire 4 in front, 2 in back?

Yah, keeping the level at a reasonable level as to not overload the Aura Pros seems important. But doesn't hurt to try it out and see how it works is what I say...
post #2228 of 2494 Old 01-26-2012, 11:08 AM

hello,

i have 5 shakers....what is the best way to wire these (series or series parallel). any help would be great!
post #2229 of 2494 Old 02-06-2012, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi all,

I'm building a riser that is comprised of a 8' X 7' X 12" section bolted to a 5' X 7' X 12" section to form a 13' X 7' X 12" platform. I've ordered an Earthquake Q10B transducer, a Behringer EP4000 amp, and 4 buttkicker rubber isolator feet (220lb version) to put on the corners of the short sides of the platform.

I'm planning on mounting the Q10B inside the riser on the back 2" X 12", attached to the 8' section near where it attaches to the 5' section - near the center of the long side of the platform. I'm not sure what effect having the two separate sections bolted together will have on the function of the Q10B. I know I need to have them bolted together well so they don't shake apart!

Any advice or helpful hints on this project would be extremely well received.

This is my first theater, first riser, first shaker. You get the idea.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

post #2230 of 2494 Old 02-07-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I bought some rubber isolation feet for my couch but when I took a close look at the feet that are on the couch I noticed they are made of plastic....

So does this lessen the effectiveness of the rubber feet? Also I am a little worried about screwing them in and how well they will stay in place.
post #2231 of 2494 Old 02-07-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Here is an image of the shakers location, please comment on what you think of the locations...I've actually upgraded the one on the right to a clark synthesis t209 since taking this picture.

I had to place the shaker here, but I could maybe add a piece of wood as a sort of cross beam...

Here is where I put the new clark synthesis. It was immediately better as the heatsink of the Aura was preventing the shaker from making good contact...Can't see it too clearly in the pic, but there are two raised pieces of wood where the shaker is mounted.

post #2232 of 2494 Old 02-07-2012, 05:45 PM

From your photos I think your sofa is L-sectional.

The bass shaker on the single one I believe will give you a good vibration. I am not sure about the position of the bass shakers on the L-type sofa, mainly because they don't look like they are able to give a balance distributed vibration.

I used a plywood across the solid frame of the sofa. I used two bass shakers on a single 3-4 seater Sofa, they are 8 ohms together in series and they worked great. Hope this helps.
post #2233 of 2494 Old 02-07-2012, 05:48 PM

Hi,

Here is a video link I have made, it isn't so detailed but hope it give you an idea of how I have installed my bass shakers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD0YHC4AUZs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post

Here is an image of the shakers location, please comment on what you think of the locations...I've actually upgraded the one on the right to a clark synthesis t209 since taking this picture.

I had to place the shaker here, but I could maybe add a piece of wood as a sort of cross beam...

Here is where I put the new clark synthesis. It was immediately better as the heatsink of the Aura was preventing the shaker from making good contact...Can't see it too clearly in the pic, but there are two raised pieces of wood where the shaker is mounted.

post #2234 of 2494 Old 02-07-2012, 05:56 PM

A normal amplifier (not the high end ones) will have 8 Ohms of impedance.

1 bass shaker is 4 Ohms, so two in series will be 8 Ohms. Aura pro bass shakers have 50 W, so 2 in series will be 100 Watts.

Depending on your need maybe you only need 4 bass shakers. Basically 2 in series coming from your dedicated amplifier output.

If you really need to use the 5th one, I suggest get another pair so that the impedance is balanced. Less connection head ache and less chance to fry your amplifier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollumis View Post

hello,

i have 5 shakers....what is the best way to wire these (series or series parallel). any help would be great!

post #2235 of 2494 Old 02-07-2012, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkyoinked5 View Post

From your photos I think your sofa is L-sectional.

The bass shaker on the single one I believe will give you a good vibration. I am not sure about the position of the bass shakers on the L-type sofa, mainly because they don't look like they are able to give a balance distributed vibration.

I used a plywood across the solid frame of the sofa. I used two bass shakers on a single 3-4 seater Sofa, they are 8 ohms together in series and they worked great. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestions and the video is great.

I am worried a bit about putting any wood underneath the couch because of it possibly touching those metal wires on the bottom of a couch when sitting. I can see your couch has the same metal wires, have you ever noticed this at all? My couch sits pretty low to the ground, so the space is somewhat limited.

I think it would actually be somewhat easy for me to add a piece of wood on the L part of the couch as there is oddly enough more space underneath than the regular part of the couch, so I probably will make something similar as to what you made in your video.

Also I have one of the Poang's from Ikea. Great chair. My couch is actually from Ikea, an L-shaped Kivik sectional.
post #2236 of 2494 Old 02-23-2012, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

We have an "L" shaped sofa as well. Here is how I have my shakers mounted. More than enough shake, even at low "volume" on my secondary receiver.

post #2237 of 2494 Old 02-24-2012, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks pcrx,

Do you ever notice the couch bottoming out on the wood pieces you added when you sit down?

I recently bought some clark synthesis transducers, which hang and maybe are a bit bigger...but I like what you did here.

Also is that an Ikea couch as well? Looks very similar to the bottom of mine. Maybe the Karlstad?
post #2238 of 2494 Old 02-24-2012, 02:14 PM

Quick question.. I already have 2 Buttkicker LFEs on the BKA-1000 amp and was wondering if I can add Aura pros to them or will it not be a good idea because they are only rated at 50 watts? How many will I need to balance it out?

I started this thread for reference... 2 Buttkicker lfe's Not Enough

Since lurking around in these subwoofer forums I've wanted to add another dimension to my home theater experience so as I've been reading the Shaker Sticky thread I'd figure I would pull the trigger on some bass shakers to install in my theater seats. Well my theater seats is broken down in sections and is not one solid piece so I figured the best way to do it would be to build a platform for my theater seats to sit on then I would put rubber isolators between the platform and carpet floor.

I ran across a good deal on 2 used Buttkicker lfe's with the 1000 watt Buttkicker amp and wired them in parallel as recommended. I originally was just going to build the platform to JUST be big enough to place the seats on but once I got going it kept getting bigger and eventually ended up to a beautifull Mohagany stained clear coated 12 ft x 7 ft platform. I used 3/4" cabinet grade plywood for the top and framed it with 2x4s and it must weigh at least 400lbs or so.. I'm just guessing but it's heavy.

So really I don't think 2 lfe's are enough to shake the weight of:
1. ~400 lb platform
2. ~200 lb theater seats
3. ~(200 to 700lb) people depending on how many watching at a time (seats 4 total)

It produces a nice rumble but nothing like the youtue vids I've been seeing as well as people on the forum have been talking about. I'm just not completely satisfied with the results from all the work I've put into this project so I'm wondering if there's too much weight for those poor things to handle or what?

I don't want to shell out more money for 2 more (kind of stretched my budget getting 2 in the first place) so I was wondering if I can run some Aura shakers inside the seats and keep the 2 Buttkickers on the platform or add Aura shakers to the platform or what?

I know I can run up to 4 lfe's on the Buttkickier amp but can I run Aura pros with lfe's on the same amp or is that not a good thing to do?
post #2239 of 2494 Old 02-25-2012, 05:56 PM

Liked: 12
I have just installed some Aura AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shakers under my couch.... When i sit down the weight causes the cushion to press against the Bass Shakers..... My question is does there need to be room between the Bass Shakers and the couch cushion ? Will having some space in between give me better performance ? Also will a 100 watt amp http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-S.../dp/B0002KRAP6 be enough to handle 4 Bass Shakers.....thanks

BASEMENT HOME THEATER - EPSON 5030UB 2D/3D PROJECTOR W/ 100" ELITE SCREEN - RECEIVER - HARMON KARDON 1710 7.2
FRONT SPEAKERS - INFINITY PRIMUS P363 CENTER SPEAKER INFINITY PRIMUS PC351 - SIDES AND REARS POLK AUDIO 30'S + 40'S SUBWOOFERS PREMIER ACOUSTIC PA-120 650 WATT TITANIUM + POLK AUDIO PSW110
post #2240 of 2494 Old 02-27-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Aldo.Raine View Post

I have just installed some Aura AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shakers under my couch.... When i sit down the weight causes the cushion to press against the Bass Shakers..... My question is does there need to be room between the Bass Shakers and the couch cushion ? Will having some space in between give me better performance ? Also will a 100 watt amp http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-S.../dp/B0002KRAP6 be enough to handle 4 Bass Shakers.....thanks

I'm not too familiar with the Auras but if I'm not mistaken there's something that shakes internally inside the shaker so if it's bolted/screwed directly to the couch I don't think the whole unit needs room to shake. You just need enough clearance to mount it.
post #2241 of 2494 Old 02-27-2012, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello everyone. I just want to make sure my understanding with wiring four 4ohm shakers is correct when wanting a single 4ohm lead to my amp?

I did a quick mockup of how I installed my shakers. Does everything look fine here?

Thanks for any input

HD DVD [R.I.P. 02/19/08] :(
Blu-Ray: 900+

post #2242 of 2494 Old 02-27-2012, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saginawjuggalo View Post

Hello everyone. I just want to make sure my understanding with wiring four 4ohm shakers is correct when wanting a single 4ohm lead to my amp?

I did a quick mockup of how I installed my shakers. Does everything look fine here?

Thanks for any input

I'm curious why you are using one channel on the amp? Is it mono?

What you drew up looks correct, I can't say for certain...Maybe someone else will chime in.
post #2243 of 2494 Old 02-29-2012, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Thanks for any input

It's fine!
post #2244 of 2494 Old 02-29-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:

Thanks for any input

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit View Post

It's fine!

So Fitbrit (or anyone else) I am doing installing 4 shakers tommorow. Are you saying if you were installing this is the exact way you would do it? I am also going to use DAYTON AUDIO SA240. If not how would you do it? Thanx in advance....
post #2245 of 2494 Old 03-01-2012, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by railcon56 View Post

So Fitbrit (or anyone else) I am doing installing 4 shakers tommorow. Are you saying if you were installing this is the exact way you would do it? I am also going to use DAYTON AUDIO SA240. If not how would you do it? Thanx in advance....

Your wiring is fine. Exactly where you branch off the cable for the parallel connections is up to you. As for the amp, it should work fine but I don't have experience with it. Once the wiring is in place you can always upgrade to a better amp later if necessary. My hunch is that the Dayton will be ok. Do you have the Auras, or Aura pros?
post #2246 of 2494 Old 03-01-2012, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit View Post

Your wiring is fine. Exactly where you branch off the cable for the parallel connections is up to you. As for the amp, it should work fine but I don't have experience with it. Once the wiring is in place you can always upgrade to a better amp later if necessary. My hunch is that the Dayton will be ok. Do you have the Auras, or Aura pros?

Aura pros... Thanx
post #2247 of 2494 Old 03-01-2012, 05:48 AM

So I would put 2 wires in the same terminal to parallel them?
post #2248 of 2494 Old 03-01-2012, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Could my old Samsung HTIB receiver be used to power a clark silver ? I plan on eventually wiring maybe 2 more later down the road and was wondering what sort of power would I need to power the 3 clarks? Also was reading through this thread and theres a bunch of diagrams. Can't tell which one is the "best/proper" way to wire em. I plan on using those 50hz fmod plugs from pe to get rumble only when needed. Or should i go lower? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

-Kevin

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #2249 of 2494 Old 03-02-2012, 06:01 AM

WOW!!!!!! They are installed and they are incredible! When my wife 1st tried them she said she didn't like it.(during american idol) But them I put a movie on and made some adjustments. There was a gunshot, and we both jumped...lol we were watching Zorro and when the mine exploded I thought the house was exploding. Also during the boat invasion scene in Robin Hood I was almost holding onto my seat thinking I was going to fall overboard. My wife said whew... this is fun... She even posted on Facebook how cool it was... If you don't have them GET SOME! WOW!
post #2250 of 2494 Old 03-02-2012, 06:09 AM

This is an easier to follow diagram.
LL
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page