Shakers - Simple/Cheap Hookup - Visual Guide - Page 76 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #2251 of 2507 Old 03-17-2012, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok guys I need help,I'm getting what I'm guessing is ground loop hum but I'm not sure.I get a loud buzzing going through my subs when I plug my amp for my shakers in(dayton sa-240).I've tried 3 different outlets but no luck.This only happens when I have my main lights turned on(dimmable track lighting).The other strange thing is that this didn't happen when I first set up the shakers.I miss my shakers please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 2507 Old 03-18-2012, 05:02 AM

I ordered an Ebtech hum-x hopefully that will work
post #2253 of 2507 Old 03-19-2012, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope this is the correct place to post this.

I am trying to hook up my buttkicker lfe. I bought one preinstalled but I didn't buy an amp at the time. Apparently that wasn't a good idea, since you can't buy any of the buttkicker amps, being that they have been eternally out of stock.

What I want to do is buy the behringer e4000 amp and run the one off of that.

I'm planning on having 8 buttkickers setup in the room.

I currently have 12/2 wire from my media closet to each seat.

Problems

1.I already am running 2 subs in my media room, currently using a y connector to output the signal into each of the 2 subs. They sound fine, but can I split the signal again for the behringer?

2. I have 2 rows of seats, should I wire each row in parallel and the 2 rows together in series. I'm not actually at this point yet, so it's kinda a future problem.

3. Will the behringer push enough power for 8 buttkickers?

4. any tips would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

. i actually delayed hooking this up because I thought I needed a dedicated sub wire to each buttkicker, but now it does appear that I can run the sound over standard speaker wire.

thanks again for the help
post #2254 of 2507 Old 03-20-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Corey, Your problem sounds like it is the dimmer that you are using. If the problem only exists when the dimmer is on then you might look at replacing the dimmer with one that does not introduce switching noise onto the line. Basically the wiring and lamp filaments are acting like antennas to transmit the high frequency switching noise. There are autotransformer dimmers that are much quieter but more expensive. The buzzing is probably loudest when you have the lamps down at 30%-50% brightness. If there is minimal buzzing when the lamps are up near full brightness, you could try putting in lower wattage lamps that require you to set the dimmer at a higher level.

"So many tweeks....So little time!"
post #2255 of 2507 Old 03-20-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoyleS View Post

Corey, Your problem sounds like it is the dimmer that you are using. If the problem only exists when the dimmer is on then you might look at replacing the dimmer with one that does not introduce switching noise onto the line. Basically the wiring and lamp filaments are acting like antennas to transmit the high frequency switching noise. There are autotransformer dimmers that are much quieter but more expensive. The buzzing is probably loudest when you have the lamps down at 30%-50% brightness. If there is minimal buzzing when the lamps are up near full brightness, you could try putting in lower wattage lamps that require you to set the dimmer at a higher level.

Thanks for the reply,I got my ebtech hum x today and plugged the Dayton inline with it and the hum is gone now.I'm glad it worked.
post #2256 of 2507 Old 03-24-2012, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I wish to add some shakers to a love seat. I have several receivers that I could use but I am lost on which way to proceed. I could grab two Aura Pros and hook them to a Onkyo 605 or 707 or even a Denon 1910 receiver, or should I go with the Buttkicker kit? Any advice would be appreciated. Again, a noob to all of this. Thanks.
post #2257 of 2507 Old 03-24-2012, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepen View Post

I wish to add some shakers to a love seat. I have several receivers that I could use but I am lost on which way to proceed. I could grab two Aura Pros and hook them to a Onkyo 605 or 707 or even a Denon 1910 receiver, or should I go with the Buttkicker kit? Any advice would be appreciated. Again, a noob to all of this. Thanks.

For Auras, any if your receivers are fine, since both the AVRs and the shakers go down to 20Hz. If you had a BK LFE, for example, I'd suggest going with a proper sub amp like the BK1000 series a Daytona or similar.

===========

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2258 of 2507 Old 03-25-2012, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the info. How about this...
I have a loveseat that I would like to add a shaker to.

Would one of these... http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...Number=299-028

And one of these work... http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...Number=300-784

Or is this one worth the exra money.... http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-861

I will be using one of the outputs on the SMS-1, or should I hook it to the Onkyo 809 subout?

The reason I am getting this is that I have a laminate (ugh) over a concrete floor (double ugh) in a sunken living room that has 1/2 of the walls underground with drywall over cinder block.

thanks to any...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit View Post

For Auras, any if your receivers are fine, since both the AVRs and the shakers go down to 20Hz. If you had a BK LFE, for example, I'd suggest going with a proper sub amp like the BK1000 series a Daytona or similar.

post #2259 of 2507 Old 03-26-2012, 07:08 AM

ok, after reading alot of this post i really need some questions answered on how to hook these up.

it sounds like alot of folks are hooking these up using a second receiver. i would like to do the same since i just replaced an old Aiwa with a brand new Onkya 700 series. my plan is to get 4 bass shakers, wire two of them in series to have two pairs and then run those parrallel to my reciver.

i will use my Onkyo to power the main surround and would use the Aiwa to power just the shakers. my question is how do i wire the shakers to the reciever? like do i wire them to the left and right speaker inputs? or what would i use?

then once those are hooked up how would i make that receiver work in conjunction with my Onkyo so that audio of the surround matches the timing of the shakers. it sounds like if you use an amp you just use the second sub out, but would i use that same output to hook the second receiver to? its not like a reciever has a sub in so im confused. i also have a power mirage subwoofer which i use as my sub. would i be able to just power the shakers to the sub itself using the speaker outs on that and avoid a second receiver altogether.

please help explain in the simplest terms. quite frankly i am a moron when it comes to this stuff. thank you
post #2260 of 2507 Old 03-26-2012, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I currently have 4 clark synthesis silvers going to my zone 2 on my receiver. I wonder if I am under powering them?
post #2261 of 2507 Old 03-26-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicaaron View Post

ok, after reading alot of this post i really need some questions answered on how to hook these up.

it sounds like alot of folks are hooking these up using a second receiver. i would like to do the same since i just replaced an old Aiwa with a brand new Onkya 700 series. my plan is to get 4 bass shakers, wire two of them in series to have two pairs and then run those parrallel to my reciver.

i will use my Onkyo to power the main surround and would use the Aiwa to power just the shakers. my question is how do i wire the shakers to the reciever? like do i wire them to the left and right speaker inputs? or what would i use?

then once those are hooked up how would i make that receiver work in conjunction with my Onkyo so that audio of the surround matches the timing of the shakers. it sounds like if you use an amp you just use the second sub out, but would i use that same output to hook the second receiver to? its not like a reciever has a sub in so im confused. i also have a power mirage subwoofer which i use as my sub. would i be able to just power the shakers to the sub itself using the speaker outs on that and avoid a second receiver altogether.

please help explain in the simplest terms. quite frankly i am a moron when it comes to this stuff. thank you

Use the second dub out on the Onkyo to connect to a Y-adaptor (RCA). Connect this to an input on the Aiwa, eg CD in. Connect shakers to speaker terminals on Aiwa. Wire your shakers as two on series on each output - one pair left and one right, presenting 8 ohms to each channel. Play a movie and have the Aowa on, with the CD input selected.

===========

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2262 of 2507 Old 03-26-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:

Use the second dub out on the Onkyo to connect to a Y-adaptor (RCA). Connect this to an input on the Aiwa, eg CD in. Connect shakers to speaker terminals on Aiwa. Wire your shakers as two on series on each output - one pair left and one right, presenting 8 ohms to each channel. Play a movie and have the Aowa on, with the CD input selected.

thanks for the quick reply. as far as controlling the LFE on the shakers will the receiver take care of that. im guessing the sub out im using will only send the frequencies it should to the shakers. i dont want them shaking during dialogue or footsteps. just during crashes and explosions. or do i need to purchase FMODS for that? also would i just control the amount of shaking using the standard volume on the receiver?
post #2263 of 2507 Old 03-26-2012, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

fitbrit, you have been a great help to me. I ordered two Auras along with a bunch of rubber feet to isolate the love seat. I will be using an old receiver and you explained it perfectly on how to hook it up. I will let you know my thoughts when I have it set up. Thanks.

Quote:

post #2264 of 2507 Old 03-27-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon999 View Post

I hope this is the correct place to post this.

I am trying to hook up my buttkicker lfe. I bought one preinstalled but I didn't buy an amp at the time. Apparently that wasn't a good idea, since you can't buy any of the buttkicker amps, being that they have been eternally out of stock.

What I want to do is buy the behringer e4000 amp and run the one off of that.

I'm planning on having 8 buttkickers setup in the room.

I currently have 12/2 wire from my media closet to each seat.

Problems

1.I already am running 2 subs in my media room, currently using a y connector to output the signal into each of the 2 subs. They sound fine, but can I split the signal again for the behringer?

2. I have 2 rows of seats, should I wire each row in parallel and the 2 rows together in series. I'm not actually at this point yet, so it's kinda a future problem.

3. Will the behringer push enough power for 8 buttkickers?

4. any tips would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

. i actually delayed hooking this up because I thought I needed a dedicated sub wire to each buttkicker, but now it does appear that I can run the sound over standard speaker wire.

thanks again for the help

any help? should i post this as general message?
post #2265 of 2507 Old 03-27-2012, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info. How about this...
I have a loveseat that I would like to add a shaker to.

Would one of these... http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...Number=299-028

And one of these work... http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...Number=300-784

Or is this one worth the exra money.... http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-861

I will be using one of the outputs on the SMS-1, or should I hook it to the Onkyo 809 subout?

The reason I am getting this is that I have a laminate (ugh) over a concrete floor (double ugh) in a sunken living room that has 1/2 of the walls underground with drywall over cinder block.

thanks to any...

I didn't see this post, sorry. I think it's too late anyway, and you bought the Auras. They're great and I think you'll enjoy them. The amp might be a tad low powered though, at just 70W... unless you really did just get one (or maybe two) shaker(s).

===========

post #2266 of 2507 Old 03-27-2012, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicaaron View Post

thanks for the quick reply. as far as controlling the LFE on the shakers will the receiver take care of that. im guessing the sub out im using will only send the frequencies it should to the shakers. i dont want them shaking during dialogue or footsteps. just during crashes and explosions. or do i need to purchase FMODS for that? also would i just control the amount of shaking using the standard volume on the receiver?

The first receiver will take care of it, as long as you set your crossover the same as your sub or lower. The second receiver (Aiwa?) can control the amount of shaking (only) with its volume knob. The primary receiver can also increase or decrease the shaking, but it'll increase the volume of everything, of course. If the Aiwa has a remote, you can use that, or program a universal one to control shaking independent of volume.

===========

post #2267 of 2507 Old 03-30-2012, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Guys -

Need help solving a problem. I have 6 theater seats.

Currently my front four seats have Aura Pro shakers being powered by a BKA-1000, which I believe is a 4ohm load. I have two more shakers that I would like to install in the back row.

How do I get the back seats wired into the chain? Is it possible to hook these up to my AVR? My AVR is only acting as a pre-amp because I have a dedicated Emotiva XPA-5 handling most of the load.

Would hooking them up to the Onkyo be ideal way to go? If so, where do I plug them in on the Onkyo?
post #2268 of 2507 Old 03-30-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiger View Post

Guys -

Need help solving a problem. I have 6 theater seats.

Currently my front four seats have Aura Pro shakers being powered by a BKA-1000, which I believe is a 4ohm load. I have two more shakers that I would like to install in the back row.

How do I get the back seats wired into the chain? Is it possible to hook these up to my AVR? My AVR is only acting as a pre-amp because I have a dedicated Emotiva XPA-5 handling most of the load.

Would hooking them up to the Onkyo be ideal way to go? If so, where do I plug them in on the Onkyo?

If the Onkyo has a powered zone 2, then you could run a wire from a LFE out on the receiver, to an input on the receiver. Then turn on Zone2 and choose the input you connected the LFE channel for use with Zone2.

I bought this wire to do it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000V1JUK4

This way the receiver's Zone2 get's a bass signal only and will play those lower frequencies.
post #2269 of 2507 Old 04-01-2012, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Well, I installed my two Auras in my love seat on Friday. Also installed rubber feet as I have laminate over concrete. Hooked them up to a Onkyo 604 receiver. Worked great for a day then nothing. Turned out that the Onkyo stopped supplying power. Hooked them up to a 7 year oldish Yamaha and they came back to life.

They really bring the bass to another dimension. I have them set very subtle, very realistic, don't draw attention to themselves until they are needed. Hard to explain, you have to experience them to understand. Without a doubt they have exceeded my expectations, I love them.

If anyone is on the fence, do it. They will blow you away.
post #2270 of 2507 Old 04-01-2012, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post

If the Onkyo has a powered zone 2, then you could run a wire from a LFE out on the receiver, to an input on the receiver. Then turn on Zone2 and choose the input you connected the LFE channel for use with Zone2.

I bought this wire to do it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000V1JUK4

This way the receiver's Zone2 get's a bass signal only and will play those lower frequencies.

Thanks for the advice.

Doesn't the use of Zone 2 disable rear surrounds in a 7.1 config? I thought I heard that somewhere.

not too optimal, given I run 7.2 in my config...
post #2271 of 2507 Old 04-01-2012, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiger View Post

Thanks for the advice.

Doesn't the use of Zone 2 disable rear surrounds in a 7.1 config? I thought I heard that somewhere.

not too optimal, given I run 7.2 in my config...

Correct. Forgot to mention that...
post #2272 of 2507 Old 04-04-2012, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

The wife doesn't like the look of the extra reciever to drive my two Auras in series. I was thinking of either this..
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-812

or this

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=302-601

I may add another two for the couch at a later date. Or can someone recommend something else? My ceiling is $150 shipped. Thanks...
post #2273 of 2507 Old 04-10-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post

Thanks for the suggestions and the video is great.

I am worried a bit about putting any wood underneath the couch because of it possibly touching those metal wires on the bottom of a couch when sitting. I can see your couch has the same metal wires, have you ever noticed this at all? My couch sits pretty low to the ground, so the space is somewhat limited.

I think it would actually be somewhat easy for me to add a piece of wood on the L part of the couch as there is oddly enough more space underneath than the regular part of the couch, so I probably will make something similar as to what you made in your video.

Also I have one of the Poang's from Ikea. Great chair. My couch is actually from Ikea, an L-shaped Kivik sectional.

@FantaXP7

Super sorry for super late reply. I wanted to check up on your setup?

I think your setup is ok. Adding a wood in the middle creates a centralized shake and not localized on one side of the frame. I was thinking of the "wiggle" in the middle, unlike if its completely framed on a solid base, then the base shaker may not have enough power to shake the frame.

Video of my setup:

or
post #2274 of 2507 Old 04-10-2012, 12:40 PM

Also just want to give a shout out to fitbrit! I have learned to respect his advice on this tread and he is my main guide when I setup my bass shaker adn home theater.

Thanks man! keep inspiring us!

Norberto
Video of my home set-up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD0YHC4AUZs

Video of my setup:

or
post #2275 of 2507 Old 04-10-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:

The wife doesn't like the look of the extra reciever to drive my two Auras in series. I was thinking of either this..
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-812

or this

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=302-601

I may add another two for the couch at a later date. Or can someone recommend something else? My ceiling is $150 shipped. Thanks...

HI Sepen,

Maybe it helps if you show us the location, where you plan to put the new amplifier.

In my case I had an alcove that is 4 feet wide and showcased 3 black boxes, 1 Onkyo main receiver, 1 Onkyo used receiver (for bass shaker) and 1 HTPC. So there are 3 identical or similar boxes on top of an table.

I have also thought of buying those receiver from partsexpress, but when I learned of using a used Amplifier, I got so excited to find one at $50!! from craigslist. So I save some $$ and Im happy it is also same Onkyo brand.

For the two choices you gave, if you can hide it elsewhere go with the bigger amp, if you can put it on top or at the bottom of your receiver go with the narrower one. If you are trying to save money, I recommend a used receiver as I did.

Norberto
Video of my home set-up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD0YHC4AUZs

Video of my setup:

or
post #2276 of 2507 Old 04-10-2012, 01:21 PM

I need to buy an amplifier to connect my 3 (50W) Aura Bass Shakers; 2 of which will be connected in series and one separately into the other channel. Would the Pioneer A-209R Stereo Amplifier with the below specifications be enough? Since this is a 60W/channel amplifier and the shakers are 50W, will it cause any damage? Also, the impedance supported are not listed in the specifications....4/8 ohms are supported by the A/V receiver so will that be fine? (4 ohms for the in-series shakers and 8 ohms for the single shaker).

Output Power per Channel60W
Number of Channels2
Input Connections• CD
• Phono
• Tape 1
• Tape 2
• Line
• Tuner
• 1 x Headphone
Weight4,7 kg
Dimensions (W x H x D)420 x 114 x 307 mm
post #2277 of 2507 Old 04-10-2012, 01:52 PM

Oh and also, with a stereo amplifier, do I need a cross over to choose the low frequencies or does that happen automatically since I would connect such amp to the pre-sub on the main receiver?
post #2278 of 2507 Old 04-12-2012, 04:05 AM

*bump*
post #2279 of 2507 Old 04-17-2012, 08:23 PM

Can I use an Onkyo M-282 2 channel amp for a couple Aura's? SPlit from the LFE line out to sub, into the amp, then speaker wire to the 2 shakers? Is this correct? I have the amp in the house, so might as well use it if I can. Thanks up front.
post #2280 of 2507 Old 04-18-2012, 01:05 AM

You sure can. It outputs 130W per channel at 8 ohms. Aura's are 50W at 4 ohm so you can connect 2 shakers in series per channel (4+4 ohm) and have an extra 30W per channel so don't pump it all up.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page