post #2461 of 2488 Old 06-19-2014, 06:03 PM
pjp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post
I have 5 chairs....3 in front row, and a riser with 2 seats right behind. I just want one or two shakers to put inside the riser, for that will shake the front row as well. I looked at the Aura Pros, but they are way cheaper in cost, and like you said, won't hit the lowest of frequencies.....I really don't need to shake the foundation down to the ground, but with concrete floors (on a slab), it seems that my Epik Tower doesn't shake the room like it did in my old house (i just moved). In any event, I would like to keep the budget under $250 for a kit.....and not $599 that everyone is selling the buttkicker for....

thanks for chiming in, pjp
Don't take it as gospel, but my feeling is that installing shakers in the risers won't have enough power and you would be better off having one per seat. Don't be fooled by the Aura Pros price -- they have a lot of shaking power and they leave me wanting little. There is a mod that can be done on the Aura Pros to trim the webbing internally and lower the resonant frequency. I did this mod to one of mine, will do the others later, but they also perform pretty well stock. For your budget, I would recommend one Aura per seat. Parts express has a good price on them currently.

Quote:
Looks like I can get into this under my $250 budget....

http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-S...d_bxgy_e_img_y
I would recommend 4 Aura Pros. At 4 ohms each, you can wire 2 of them in series (creating 8 ohm) and then wire those 8 ohm pairs in parallel to make it 4 ohms. 100 watts is a little light if you want to do more than 2 shakers, so I would recommend this amp 250 watt amp for only slightly more: http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-S...ofer+plate+amp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2462 of 2488 Old 06-21-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I just ordered 4 Aura Pro's and a rack-style Dayton, 230 watt amp.....can someone show me a link to the easiest way to wire these??? I know they have to be in series/parallel, but I'm a noobie at this kind of wiring

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #2463 of 2488 Old 06-21-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
.....can someone show me a link to the easiest way to wire these??? I know they have to be in series/parallel...
http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/wo...4&I=41#results

I think the Aura Pro is 4 ohm...
pjp likes this.
post #2464 of 2488 Old 06-21-2014, 01:16 PM
pjp

Quote:
I just ordered 4 Aura Pro's and a rack-style Dayton, 230 watt amp.....can someone show me a link to the easiest way to wire these??? I know they have to be in series/parallel, but I'm a noobie at this kind of wiring
Rack style is a nice option -- didn't even notice they had these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post
Great diagram, option 2 is definitely it. It gets a little confusing when you go to wire them up (at least for me). From memory, I think it helped to sequence it so that you wire the 2 sets of two shakers in series first. Then take the extreme ends of both series pairs and tie them together (+ to +, - to -).
post #2465 of 2488 Old 06-22-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Am I going to like the Aura Pro's? Or should I have waited to save up for the $600 Buttkicker LFE kit???

Terrence

post #2466 of 2488 Old 06-22-2014, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Probably both.
post #2467 of 2488 Old 06-23-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I just cancelled my order of the Aura Pro's and amp....I Went ahead and bought a used, 1000watt BUTTKICKER AMP AND (2) BUTTKICKER LFE SHAKERS for a measly $400 shipped!!!! I just might sell one of the shakers; I don't really want to have to rebuild my house after an earthquake

Terrence

post #2468 of 2488 Old 06-23-2014, 08:18 PM
pjp

Quote:
I just cancelled my order of the Aura Pro's and amp....I Went ahead and bought a used, 1000watt BUTTKICKER AMP AND (2) BUTTKICKER LFE SHAKERS for a measly $400 shipped!!!! I just might sell one of the shakers; I don't really want to have to rebuild my house after an earthquake
Congrats. Let us know how they work out.
post #2469 of 2488 Old 06-25-2014, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 33
My shakers should arrive tomorrow. I'm just using two shakers and a plate amp and I'm planning on wiring the positive lead from the amp to the the positive on shaker 1, then negative 1 to positive of shaker 2 and then negative 2 back to the negative lead on the amp.

Does that sound correct?

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #2470 of 2488 Old 06-26-2014, 04:42 AM
pjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by design1stcode2nd View Post
My shakers should arrive tomorrow. I'm just using two shakers and a plate amp and I'm planning on wiring the positive lead from the amp to the the positive on shaker 1, then negative 1 to positive of shaker 2 and then negative 2 back to the negative lead on the amp.

Does that sound correct?
This sounds correct if your intent is to wire them in series. What shakers and what amp are you using? If the shakers are 4ohm, then the amp will see a load of 8ohms from being wired in series.
post #2471 of 2488 Old 06-26-2014, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
This sounds correct if your intent is to wire them in series. What shakers and what amp are you using? If the shakers are 4ohm, then the amp will see a load of 8ohms from being wired in series.
This is what I got:
2x AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shaker
1x Dayton Audio SA100 100W Subwoofer Plate Amplifier

I've seen a number of wiring diagrams for 3 or 4 shakers but not for two (figured I could use half of a four).

Play like a Raven

post #2472 of 2488 Old 06-26-2014, 08:53 AM
pjp

Quote:
This is what I got:
2x AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shaker
1x Dayton Audio SA100 100W Subwoofer Plate Amplifier

I've seen a number of wiring diagrams for 3 or 4 shakers but not for two (figured I could use half of a four).
This will work fine. The Aura's are 4ohm, so wired in series the amp will see 8ohms. That amp is rated at 100watts into 4ohms and 75watts into 8ohms. The Auras are rated for 50 watts each, so you could theoretically use a slightly larger amp, but in practice it should be fine.
post #2473 of 2488 Old 06-26-2014, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks. I was hoping to put 50w to each but I don't see it working with just two. Good thing I didn't buy the 70w amp.

Play like a Raven

post #2474 of 2488 Old 06-26-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm getting my Buttkickers on Sat. Should I be looking in to buying the optional plate w/ rubber feet? I've heard various comments related to this 'option'. I have three theater seats in row #1 , while I have a small riser with 2 traditional theater seats just right behind the first row. I def. want to install atleast one of the shakers inside the riser, while it might be much tougher to mount the 2nd shaker in the first row. Any thoughts on this???

Terrence

post #2475 of 2488 Old 06-26-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does that sound correct?
I almost went Aura, and this amp was going to be (for me) a better alternative to a plate amp.....link to parts-express below. Just food for thought

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...ifier--300-813

Terrence

post #2476 of 2488 Old 06-29-2014, 04:05 PM

Liked: 25
Hi I'm a newbie with the Aura shakers. I bought a pair of AuraSound AST-2B-4 off craigslist and hooked it up to a 50 watt parasound amp to a Onkyo 708 pre-out sub connection and I am barely getting any shaking lol. I'm I doing something wrong? Maybe I should get the Dayton Audio SA70? Please help I'm frustrated.

Last edited by afterlife2; 06-29-2014 at 05:30 PM.
post #2477 of 2488 Old 06-29-2014, 07:49 PM
pjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterlife2 View Post
Hi I'm a newbie with the Aura shakers. I bought a pair of AuraSound AST-2B-4 off craigslist and hooked it up to a 50 watt parasound amp to a Onkyo 708 pre-out sub connection and I am barely getting any shaking lol. I'm I doing something wrong? Maybe I should get the Dayton Audio SA70? Please help I'm frustrated.
The Parasound should be fine. The problem is that it does take a bit of gain (sub preamp output) to get to the proper shake level out of many amps. I have driven shakers with tiny integrated T-amps, but the volume always needs to be up to the max to get decent shaking. One thing you may be able to do is to crank up the output of the sub output on the Onkyo and then turn down the volume on your actual subwoofer to compensate -- this will keep your subwoofer output balanced while bumping up the signal level to the shakers so that you feel them. If the Parasound has an input sensitivity setting, make sure it is set to max.

The advantage of using a plate amp is that you can crank up the gain and adjust it independently of your actual subwoofer. The plate also allows you to set the shaker crossover independently from your sub -- you may want the shaker crossover to be lower than your sub setting (usually 50-60hz works well with shakers). The SA70 is going to be a little weak though -- it can't handle 2ohms, so you will need to wire the 4ohm shakers in series, which creates an 8ohm load. The SA70 only produces 45 wattts into 8ohms, which is 22.5 watts per shaker. It will probably still work, but is a little light. If the Parasound is a stereo amp with 50watts per shaker, then it is a better amp power-wise than the SA70, but a plate amp might be better if you can't find a way to raise the signal level going into the Parasound.
afterlife2 likes this.

Last edited by pjp; 06-30-2014 at 06:55 AM.
post #2478 of 2488 Old 06-30-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:
The Parasound should be fine. The problem is that it does take a bit of gain (sub preamp output) to get to the proper shake level out of many amps. I have driven shakers with tiny integrated T-amps, but the volume always needs to be up to the max to get decent shaking. One thing you may be able to do is to crank up the output of the sub output on the Onkyo and then turn down the volume on your actual subwoofer to compensate -- this will keep your subwoofer output balanced while bumping up the signal level to the shakers so that you feel them. If the Parasound has an input sensitivity setting, make sure it is set to max.

The advantage of using a plate amp is that you can crank up the gain and adjust it independently of your actual subwoofer. The plate also allows you to set the shaker crossover independently from your sub -- you may want the shaker crossover to be lower than your sub setting (usually 50-60hz works well with shakers). The SA70 is going to be a little weak though -- it can't handle 2ohms, so you will need to wire the 4ohm shakers in series, which creates an 8ohm load. The SA70 only produces 45 wattts into 8ohms, which is 22.5 watts per shaker. It will probably still work, but is a little light. If the Parasound is a stereo amp with 50watts per shaker, then it is a better amp power-wise than the SA70, but a plate amp might be better if you can't find a way to raise the signal level going into the Parasound.
pjp you are a lifesaver!!! Thank you for this. I thought the amp(had it max vol.) would be enough power, but when I turned it up on the Onkyo the Auras started rocking! Set the Onkyo to -4db. Now to fine tune the sub tonight with a jazz CD. Woohoo you rock!

post #2479 of 2488 Old 06-30-2014, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

My install went smoothly I have the gain at about mid to 3/4 the way and upped my sub channel output a few DB's. I lowered the gain on the sub a tad to compensate. I think there is more than enough shake with just 35w-40w going to each.

I've only watched a couple of movies I'll reserve judgement until I've experienced it longer. As of right now I think going with the Aura and plate amp was the way to go. I think a buttkicker and BK amp would be overkill for me.

Play like a Raven

post #2480 of 2488 Old 06-30-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
My install went smoothly I have the gain at about mid to 3/4 the way and upped my sub channel output a few DB's. I lowered the gain on the sub a tad to compensate. I think there is more than enough shake with just 35w-40w going to each.

I've only watched a couple of movies I'll reserve judgement until I've experienced it longer. As of right now I think going with the Aura and plate amp was the way to go. I think a buttkicker and BK amp would be overkill for me.
Where are the pics or it did not happen. Edit sorry about your flood. Glad you're up and going.
I wonder if the FMOD 50hz will help my setup? Also do you guys use Mono Bridge or Stereo? I think it sounds/feels good though.

Last edited by afterlife2; 06-30-2014 at 05:09 PM.
post #2481 of 2488 Old 06-30-2014, 05:26 PM
pjp

Quote:
I wonder if the FMOD 50hz will help my setup?
If you don't have any "undesirable" shaking (for example, upper bass from voices or music causing an undesirable shake effect), then you probably don't need an FMOD (it likely means that your AVR sub crossover happens to be set about right for shaking). If you do have bleed-through of undesirable shake, then an FMOD can help. Plenty of people have used 50hz FMOD's with success, but my own personal experience was that 50hz was a bit too low in my environment with Auras. I went back to using a sub preamp crossover and have it set to about 60hz. I'm not sure why the 50hz FMOD's didn't work in my setup. It would be interesting to hear if those that are happy with 50hz FMOD's are using Auras, Buttkickers, Clarks, or something else.
afterlife2 likes this.
post #2482 of 2488 Old 06-30-2014, 05:46 PM

I think you are right I won't need it. It shakes pretty good. Thank you, you are very helpful pjp.

post #2483 of 2488 Old 07-01-2014, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Where are the pics or it did not happen. Edit sorry about your flood. Glad you're up and going.
I wonder if the FMOD 50hz will help my setup? Also do you guys use Mono Bridge or Stereo? I think it sounds/feels good though.
Now that there are pics it has happened

This was the only real spot I could find to mount it on my recliners. I have the amp cutoff between 40-50.
afterlife2 likes this.

Play like a Raven

post #2484 of 2488 Old 07-02-2014, 10:57 AM

^^Nice so how do you like it so far?

post #2485 of 2488 Old 07-05-2014, 04:07 PM

I threw a couple of pics of my shaker setup: AfterLife2's Setup Em' Up Joe...Picture That!

post #2486 of 2488 Old 07-07-2014, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
^^Nice so how do you like it so far?
At first I could only focus on my butt shaking but then after a few movies I've gotten used to them and it has begun to add to the experience.

From this weekend in watching Robocop (OK movie nothing special) and there was this slight tremor in a few scenes with each of his footfalls that I thought was just right.

I think I like them better in movies that have some good LFE moments instead of lots of LFE moments.

For example in Thor you butt if vibrating most of the time it seems.

Play like a Raven

post #2487 of 2488 Old 07-07-2014, 12:44 PM
pjp

Quote:
I think I like them better in movies that have some good LFE moments instead of lots of LFE moments.

For example in Thor you butt if vibrating most of the time it seems.
The shaking level does tend to vary a lot movie to movie. What I've found is that the key is to get the sub crossover setting just right. For my setup it's around 55hz and with this setting I get the right things shaking and not much else bleeding through. I do find the need to adjust the "volume" level up or down to adjust for some individual movies/content, but I never touch the crossover setting.

I have a subwoofer EQ/preamp in front of the shaker amp, so I can tweak the shake level from my harmony remote. If you have multi-zone AVR, you can run the LFE output into Zone output and use the Zone volume to adjust the shake level on the fly.

Last edited by pjp; 07-07-2014 at 12:48 PM.
post #2488 of 2488 Old Today, 04:10 PM

Liked: 10
How many of you have this hooked up to a system in your main viewing area? i.e. living room? I ask because I have thought about doing something similar but don't know if it would be too much for day to day watching. I figured worst case I could use an amp that I can turn on and off via ir and set different scenes via my remote so if I don't want to fire up the shakers I don't have to. I have always been intrigued by them and think they would probably be pretty cool. Although I do listen to a lot of music too and I dont think I would want them going off (of course that depends on where I set the crossover for the shakers too).
post #2489 of 2488 Old Today, 05:16 PM

Quote:
The shaking level does tend to vary a lot movie to movie. What I've found is that the key is to get the sub crossover setting just right. For my setup it's around 55hz and with this setting I get the right things shaking and not much else bleeding through. I do find the need to adjust the "volume" level up or down to adjust for some individual movies/content, but I never touch the crossover setting.

I have a subwoofer EQ/preamp in front of the shaker amp, so I can tweak the shake level from my harmony remote. If you have multi-zone AVR, you can run the LFE output into Zone output and use the Zone volume to adjust the shake level on the fly.
Would like to see your setup pjp.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page