I'm completely new to this forum and to having a home theater. I stumbled across this thread and, even though it likely has already been answered somewhere, I couldn't find my situation in the 85 pages dedicated to this topic!
I bought my home theater seats from a friend, who bought them from 4Seating.com. He just happened to also have some of their "buttshakers" that he never bothered trying to hook up and had no idea what to do with. A few of them are actually already mounted but most aren't. I took the shakers and now, three months later, I'm finally at the point where I can turn to the question of "what do I do with these things!?" Here's a link to what I believe I have (though I admittedly have no idea whether I have the basic or Pro version and there are no identifying markings that I have noticed): (It won't let me post an actual link because I'm new but this is it) (4seating.com/audio_buttshaker_info.htm)
I have one row of 6 chairs together against the wall opposite of my projector screen (this was the compromise with my wife in order to keep the room "open" and make the HT happen). There's a 7th chair positioned sideways against a different wall (perpendicular to one end of the row) that I'm happy to hook up if convenient, but it wouldn't be the end of the world to leave it out.
Reading previous posts, it seems I need a standard RCA splitter from my current Sub Out port on my receiver. I plug my current sub into one split and then, with the second split, I run an RCA that then splits itself and connect it to the L and R inputs on the second receiver (or amp of some sort) using a regular RCA cable. From there, I run speaker wire from the L and R speaker ports of the second receiver/amp and hook up each of the individual shaker in some specific wiring pattern.
So here are my questions that I would be ever so thankful if someone could help me with!
1. Are the shakers I inherited decent? Again, I don't know which version they are. I'm not sure I'll want to go through with all of this though if folks think these things aren't all that great. I'm not an audiophile (yet), so I'm not looking for top of the line performance but it's also probably not worth it (or I may buy others) if the shakers I have will provide little to no effect.
2. In order to hook up 6 or 7 shakers in one row, what type of receiver/amp do I need? There's a glut of these things in my area on Craigslist for very good prices, so I'll probably just end up getting something that will do the trick off there once I know what I need (assuming I don't need something special).
3. Do I just use two regular/cheap RCA splitters (one going out of my current receiver and one into the second receiver/amp input) or is there something a bit higher quality I should use to preserve some sort of performance that might otherwise be lost?
4. Once I have everything setup, how do I run speaker wire to the 6 chairs in a row (or 7 with one very close but perpendicular to the end of the row)? I've seen all sorts of diagrams but am not sure which is applicable to my setup.
5. I've been toying with the idea of getting a second sub. Would I just use another splitter from one of the existing splits if I did? Would that degrade the sound quality significantly?
I'll probably have a few more questions, but this is more than enough to start with!
Thanks you so much in advance for your generosity and willingness to help out someone completely new to all of this!