Shakers - Simple/Cheap Hookup - Visual Guide - Page 90 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #2671 of 2677 Old 09-23-2016, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Is this because of deafness or other sound/SPL issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2672 of 2677 Old 09-23-2016, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Great guess, coolrda. Yep, I'm deaf and have no residual hearing, so no need for any audio signals, they wouldn't help all that much!

I have a Samsung 40 inch TV with optical audio out, RCA connections but no analog connections. No other audio hardware to speak of, hence my earlier question about potential configs for an 100% tactile setup.

Thoughts?
post #2673 of 2677 Old 09-23-2016, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Actually, despite being deaf, acoustic coupling by way of using dynamic drivers can provide quite a bit of tactile sensation from which you could benefit greatly. I remember reading an article that explained just how much tactile feedback we get from our hair and skin. Amazingly, our body can adjust to sensations instantly, such as putting a shirt on. This is highly tactile and would overwhelmed and drive us crazy if we couldn't adjust to it immediately. Since we do, its nothing. So we very sensitive in that regard.

I don't know how high up in frequency you could go but certainly above 200hz. Vented Sub, even a 12" then your BK's can do wonders. Anyway, I would give that some thought. I don't see a problem with you starting a thread in this forum to continue this further. Lot of cool and helpful guys here. I applaud you for not letting this disability stop your pursuit of motion picture enjoyment.
post #2674 of 2677 Old 09-25-2016, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

I bought one of these cheap bass transducers from amazon:-

I want to test this shaker by connecting it to an old Sony HT K215 5.1 amp same as below:-

by using it's active subwoofer's phono output (stripping the phono lead and using the two wires).

However I'm getting no sound output.

Could anyone please advice what I'm doing wrong? What connection from the back of the amp do I use?

All I want to do is test it to make sure it's working, because I'll be connecting it in a few weeks time.

Thanks
post #2675 of 2677 Old 09-25-2016, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Liked: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by nas1080p View Post
by using it's active subwoofer's phono output (stripping the phono lead and using the two wires).

However I'm getting no sound output.

And you won't. That output is preamp level meaning it needs to be amplified. That's why it's a phono plug and not speaker binding posts. You need an amp.
post #2676 of 2677 Old 09-25-2016, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you zeus. Is there anyway I could test it using this amp or would I need to order another amp instead?
post #2677 of 2677 Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Liked: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by nas1080p View Post
Thank you zeus. Is there anyway I could test it using this amp or would I need to order another amp instead?

You could splice into one of the front speaker wires, but it's not recommended. I have no idea about the inner workings of that device. The main speakers may be full range, meaning you will get some low frequencies through them, or they are probably crossed over with the low frequencies going to the sub out, meaning you would get very little activity for your shaker. You'll need an amp at some point, so you might as well get it. You could use an old receiver or something to power the shaker if you have one.

Search the thread for amp recommendations. It's been discussed quite frequently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page