AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Got an Infinity 1200s Sub for $400.... how'd I do?

1K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  Ryan G 
#1 ·
Picked it up as an open box special at Ultimate Electronics, and the thing looks brand new. I was just wondering if I did all right, and, yes, I know there are better subs out there, but I ga-ron-tee they ain't in my price range.

I am new to the whole A/V scene, so please understand that I am just learning about all this stuff... a week ago I though Bose was a good system to have! I've read enough since then to realize that Bose is ****, and I want a system that will 1) sound good, at volume loud enough to piss off the neighbors, and 2) be upgradeable in the future.

The 1200s is the first piece of my system that I've purchased, but here's the plan I have right now:

Onkyo's TX-SR601 is leading the pack to be my reciever,

Paradigm Atoms for my fronts and surrounds (room layout prohibits tower speakers, and the ceiling is already wired for 6.1 satellites)

Center front and rear speakers I haven't really studied yet, since I don't think I can afford them right away.

Let me know what you guys think of what I'm planning... all this is from what I've gleaned reading this and other A/V boards, but I am open to suggestions!

Oh, and 1st post! :)

See less See more
#4 ·
He has the Alpha sub, and not the Interlude it sounds like. Some have said it's not the same, but I'm still convinced the two are almost identical. If you read around the forum, a lot of people will indicate that a Hsu or SVS will give more performance for that price, even though you got it at 50%. I've always found my IL120 to be great, since I'm not a huge fan of tons of low bass (even in movies). The output in the very bottom end (25hz) is where the Infinity is not as robust as the two brands mentioned above. If you listen to it and enjoy it, then you did great. It's a good sub for music and will sound cleaner than anything else you saw in the Ultimate store at that price.

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnR_IN_LA
Great sub, lots of power, I paid 400 for my Interlude too. I have the RABOS meter, that seemed to help quite a bit, you should probably pick one up.

I looked on Infinity's site and they had the RABOS kits for $60. I plan on being in this house a while, I don't suppose you'd consider renting me yours would you? I don't see needing it for more than the initial use, then it would just take up space in a box somewhere, so no sense buying one if I could rent it.

#7 ·
It may seem like a lot for just a test kit, but I think it is best to actually buy your own. If I remember a long forgotten thread correctly, John R may not have all the materials that come with the kit, such as the graph for plotting room response (please correct me if I'm wrong on this, John R :) ). You won't feel like it's a waste of money when you year the difference in sound. The single-band parametric EQ's are something that will become more common on subs in the future I think. They are vital to achieving a decent flat response in your room and much more economical than using sound treatments to cancel out your room's modal peak (the bass frequency that your room will cause to sound much louder due to sound reflections and the room's shape). Buy a pair of good 9volts for the meter, too, since they last maybe 10 minutes. :)

#9 ·
Ryan is like me, he hates to pay for audio equipment that he can't hear :)

I do have the custom graph paper, haha. But for 60 bucks, by the time you add everything up, its probably not worth our time shipping the stuff back and forth, the meter is somewhat delicate, etc.

If your in the LA area though, drop on by and pick it up though....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.