AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

SVS 25-31pci is it Enough?

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Kendrid 
#1 ·
Just ordered my SVS 25-31Pci sub Today. SVS associate was saying that this sub might not be enough for my size room, 15x18x9. closed in on 3

sides open 1 side 15x9.

I was not able to go up another $225. for the 25-31pc+.Does anyone run this sub 25-31Pci in a room this size,and if so how is the proformance of the sub

my setup:

Axioms M22Ti fronts

Axiom VP150 Center

SVS 25-31PCi Sub

Still deciding on in-walls for rear.

All above on order,should receive this Week:D

Thanks for any input.

See less See more
#2 ·
My room is something like 14x24x9 and I have the 25-31 with a 22Hz tuning port upgrade. I have had the sub only a few weeks but have been happy with it. It is able to produce the tight earth moving base I was looking for. I was debating weather to go with the 22-38 or the 25-31 and decided to split the difference with the 25-31 tuned to 22Hz.

I would say try it out, if you think its lacking send it back and upgrade. The SVS should keep a good resale value if you decide to keep it and then want to upgrade later on.

What model did the sales guy suggest and why did he suggest that. What kind of listening do you do and how loud?

#3 ·
My room is about 14x24x8 and I also have 25-31 tuned to 22 Hz. It more than suits my needs. I have had it for about a year and it was perhaps the best equipment purchase I have made for my theater. It is loud and tight and fills the theater will a very powerful low end. Depending on your needs I would think it would work out for you.

#4 ·
Mine is 17x15x9.5 and is open on 1/3 and half open on 1/3 of a side wall. The 25-31PCi is not lacking in any way. Put the sub in a corner and you should be fine. Remember to calibrate your system with a SPL meter.

Then pop in T3!

#5 ·
When doing sub & room sizing you need to add the open space areas connected to the room itself. So when you state "...my size room, 15x18x9. closed in on 3 sides open 1 side 15x9) essentially half of one entire wall is open to an adjacent area that will end up taking bass sound out of the listening room.

If this adjacent area is huge then you will need more bass if you want reference level SPLs. If you just desire more low end and do not listen at loud levels the 25-31 PCI should do you just fine.

If you find it is not enough you can always upgrade later, we all do eventually!

#6 ·
Thanks for a the info, but my original post of my Room Size was incorrect. it was 15x24x9 what was I thinking :eek: So I called SVS and they said that if I want Reference Level sound to upgrade to the 25-31Pc+. So I had to bite the bullet, and order the 25-31 Pc+.

I guess if you want the (((((BASS))))) you have to Pay for it:D

#7 ·
Don't fret it, majestix. The good folks at SVS would not steer you wrong. Once you get it set up and calibrated plop in one of the SVS recommended demo DVDs and enjoy your new toy.

I'll stress this again, make sure you calibrate it properly. 5 minutes with a calibration DVD and an SPL meter makes all the difference.

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris A H
When doing sub & room sizing you need to add the open space areas connected to the room itself. So when you state "...my size room, 15x18x9. closed in on 3 sides open 1 side 15x9) essentially half of one entire wall is open to an adjacent area that will end up taking bass sound out of the listening room.

If this adjacent area is huge then you will need more bass if you want reference level SPLs. If you just desire more low end and do not listen at loud levels the 25-31 PCI should do you just fine.

If you find it is not enough you can always upgrade later, we all do eventually!
You'll need to look at that on a case by case basis. For a short while I had my sub on the side wall that was adjacent to my open space. For my listening position the sub performed just as well as when it was in a corner. Since Majestics is not listening in that other room, he does not need to over compensate for it.

It also depends where the sub is located. As I said before the corner that my sub is in does not seem sensitive to the open side, although, I can't really hear the bass in the adjoining kitchen and nook. (That is a good thing). Theoretically you could be in an auditorium and have the sub sitting next to you and still get satisfying results, especially from these subs. Some people would say that have less of a room response is a good thing.

#9 ·
You'll definitely be happy with the PC+, plus you can tune it however you like, so if you want it to go to a 20Hz tune, there you go! All set!

Just think, with you getting the "better" model, you won't get a feeling of Upgraditis as soon... :) Plus if you ever change things, you now have the room to grow with it.

#11 ·
I've had a 25-31 for about 3.5 years now (somewhere around there - serial # in the 30s). My room is 20x20 x 8 with one all open all the way to my kitchen. It is really more like 20x50 x 8.

The sub does just fine for me with both movies and music. The highest I ever see my SPL meter go with heavy bass is 110ish, but that is fine for me. I really don't listen that loud very often.

Calibrating it with a BFD was the best thing I ever did for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.