Velodyne SPL1000 Series II subwoofer ? (also a general HT question) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-01-2004, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm setting up my first HT and this is the sub I chose. However, my lack of knowledge has me confused as to how it should be hooked up.
Blue Jean Cables sells single sub-woofer cables that have one connection on each end, does this mean that I have to buy two cables? My sub has both right and left RCA jacks (red & white).

Adding to my confusion is that my reciever (Yamaha RX-V2400) only has one sub-woofer output, so if the sub requires two rca jacks and the reciever only has one output, what do I do?

I'll be setting up a 5.1 system, hooking up my 2 fronts to the ''Front speaker" jacks on the reciever, and my 2 rears to the ''Rear Surround'' on the reciever (leaving the "Front Surround" un-used, as I'm assuming that these would be for the mid-surround (# 5 & 6) speakers that I am not using). Is this correct?

I am considering having a professional set the system up, but I'd still like to have all the proper cables and wires on hand, so as not to pay crazy money for cables that he would have to provide.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-02-2004, 10:17 PM
DMF
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
You need to talk to a professional sooner rather than later.

Leaving the "front" surrounds blank in favor of "rear" surrounds is a major mistake.

The sub wiring question is a simple one that is 99% likely to be answered in the user manual.

And paying "crazy money" for cables is a *lot* more likely if you buy them yourself.

No matter where you go. ... There you are.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-02-2004, 11:15 PM
Advanced Member

Wow, that was some harsh 'advice'. Let me take a stab at helping.

For your sub connection use just 1 cable then a RCA Y Connector (1 female to 2 male) at the sub. (I suggest an Acoustic Research Subwoofer Cable from Best Buy (I know there is a big cable debate on what is better, lets not go there.))

You need to use the front surrounds, as the rear are for 7.1, since you have 5.1 you will not use 'rear' or 'back' surrounds. You will also need to tell your receiver that you have 5.1 speaker set up vs. a 7.1 setup.

I wouldn't bother with a professional installer. But if you just can't seem to get things working that is always an option.

I think that most people on this forum would be happy to give what help they can. (OK, maybe not everyone).

Good Luck and enjoy the HT!

~Dr. Spike
post #4 of 10 Old 01-02-2004, 11:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DMF-that was terrible advice
dont get a pro-the setup is pretty easy actually
the two inputs on your sub is there if you want to bi-wire your sub, if you want, you can get what dr spike recomends (basically its a cable that has two ends (imagine a 'Y') instead of one). the other option is to just plug it in to either 'in' channel on your sub, right or left. theoretically, the sound difference should be minimal if you play with the gains on the reciever enough. while you will get more signal(and thus is louder) if you use a 'Y' wire, i have heard sometimes you lose clarity if you use a 'Y' wire. if you want your sub louder, turn the gain up, or turn the sub output volume up on your reciever settings.

yes, plug into fronts and rears. you should also get a center channel though

if you have any more questsions just ask. most people are not as helpful as DMF, but we try:)
post #5 of 10 Old 01-02-2004, 11:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawkson
the other option is to just plug it in to either 'in' channel on your sub, right or left. theoretically, the sound difference should be minimal if you play with the gains on the reciever enough. while you will get more signal(and thus is louder) if you use a 'Y' wire, i have heard sometimes you lose clarity if you use a 'Y' wire. if you want your sub louder, turn the gain up, or turn the sub output volume up on your reciever settings.
Yeah, that option works very well too, that is the option I used when I had a powered sub. I think if I recall that your sub manufacturer recommends a y (I could be wrong I have not used your sub). Personally I don't think it matters much, you get slight more 'loudness' at the same gain setting, but you get that by just turning up the gain as Hawkson pointed out. :) I think it makes people feel better to plug in both sometimes. If that is the case the y is about $5 or so. :)

~Dr. Spike
post #6 of 10 Old 01-03-2004, 04:44 AM

I've got the same receiver. You mention front surrounds. I assume you are talking about what Yamaha calls "presence" speakers. If that is correct, then don't set them up unless you've got nine speakers. They are for some of Yamaha's proprietary DSP modes; however, if you use them then I believe (you cannot use your 6th and 7th channel). Because, you are setting up a 5.1 then just ignore them.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-03-2004, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Ok, I took a look at the manual for your receiver. It has connections for Front A: Left and Right, Center, Surround:Left and Right, Surround Back: Left and Right, Presence Speakers: Left and Right, Subwoofer, and Front B: Left and Right.

For your 5.1 setup you will only need to use the Front A: Left and Right, Center, Surround: Left and Right, and the subwoofer. You can just leave the rest of them unused. (The presence speakers would go up front for ambient effects. But you do not have speakers for this, yet? :))

It looks like the receiver will auto set up the speakers it detects. But you can set it manually as well. On the speakers selection menu it will be choice 5 for your set up.

I hope this helps some.

~Dr. Spike
post #8 of 10 Old 01-03-2004, 10:37 PM
DMF
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawkson
DMF-that was terrible advice

That was not terrible advice. It's apparent that Carl doesn't know much about HT. Not a condemnation - all of us have been there (some of us admit it).

Now if you want to give him a full-blown tutorial, go right ahead. But I think that having a pro look at his system and talk specifically about what he has and what his options are will avoid a lot of misunderstanding.

As for the other points I made, each one was correct.

However, I should have added that it is not considered good form to cross-post threads, Carl.

No matter where you go. ... There you are.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-04-2004, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by DMF

However, I should have added that it is not considered good form to cross-post threads, Carl.
Sorry, but after having gone nearly two days without a response, I got a little impatient. I did get an almost imediate response in the Velodyne thread. But it didn't answer my speaker questions. I still appreciate your advice.

DrSpike, I did set it up the way you recommended. At first, I set it up with the 'Back Surround' instead of the "surround', and wasn't getting any sound from the rears. So I then moved the wires to the 'Surround' and now everything seems to be working fine. I didn't mention the center, but I do have one and have hooked it up (appears to carry all character dialouge).

For the sub, I used a single wire and plugged it into the LFE jack on the sub (this was recommended by Bruce in the Velodyne thread). This seems to be the way to do it in my case.

Thanks to all of you who responded, I appreciate your help. I should add that I'm pretty happy with the way it sounds (but I do know that I'll have to learn how to fine tune the settings to get it sounding even better.)

Thanks again.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-04-2004, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Carl A., Glad to be of some help and that you have everything hooked up and working. Best of all is that you are happy with your system!

Happy listening!

~Dr. Spike
Closed Thread Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page