post #1 of 5 Old 01-01-2004, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a modest 5.1 HT system with some Cambridge Audio MC200 speakers

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/s...item=k1pkm30zz

for my front speakers. They are supposed to be combined with their passive sub, Basscube 6S which are rated at 45-125Hz but I don't have them at present. As you can imagine the sound is a tad hollow since the main speakers bottom out at about 80Hz.

Assuming I get the Bass Cube to complement the fronts, do I then need an additional sub for the .1 signal from my 5.1 system. Alternatively if I got a more massive sub that went down to say 30Hz to match with the MC200's, what would I do with the .1 signal? Is there a way to route that .1 signal out to the 5 other channels?

Not sure if I could have two subs in the room - wife factor:-)

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-02-2004, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
It's not necessary to match the sub with the speakers. That's why people buy different brand name subs.
Subs are non directional so one good sub will do the job.
A typical way to set up a powered sub is by using the line level sub out, on your receiver plugged into the rca input on the sub using a shielded cable. By hooking it up this way you'll be able to control the settings from the back of the sub.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-02-2004, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I guess what I was wondering about was, the Cambridge setup has matching sats and a sub (just to get 30-20Kz or whatever range out of them). If I just use a sub and connect to the .1 output I will lose most of the audio content that is not in the .1 output below 80Kz since the sats don't respond down to that range and the .1 output is primarily for LFE anyway. If I connect the matching sub to the regular speaker output and pass the signal through to the sats, I have no speaker handling the .1 output signal - hence do I need another sub for that?

Thanks
post #4 of 5 Old 01-02-2004, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 35
What receiver are you using? Most will allow you to set your speakers to "small". This will engage the receiver's built-in crossover, which will direct all content below a certain frequency (often 80hz) to the subwoofer. Thus you shouldn't lose anything.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-02-2004, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have a Kenwood 990D. One of the first DD receivers - in fact it's not labelled as DD but Dolby AC-3. Anyway I think it does have a small setting - I can check but I hadn't considered that or realised that's what that setting did

Thanks
Closed Thread Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page