Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #31 of 43 Old 01-07-2004, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I personally like the Definitive PF15TL+ with the 15" driver and 500 watt amp. I know there are a lot of internet fanatics around who love HSU and SVS, but I think that this sub should not be ruled out as well. I really like what I hear out of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 01-07-2004, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by video321
I'm waiting to hear more about the STF-3 as I save my pennies. To me, this may be yet the best "bang for the buck" sub under $600. I only wish they dropped the tuned level - I believe it's only 25hz right now.
Just ordered mine and can't wait for it to come in:D

Life is good...
post #33 of 43 Old 01-07-2004, 09:35 AM

Quote:
To me, this may be yet the best "bang for the buck" sub under $600. I only wish they dropped the tuned level
This one is going head to head in a very competitive price range, so the results will be very interesting especially since it only started shipping yesterday. At this "price level" I bet the STF-3 will play lower, louder and have a flatter FR than anything commercially available. It will also hold up the Hsu tradition of a flat FR and ability not to ruin good music like so many other subs seem to do with consistency. Any sub can re-create the loud distortion as the world explodes or rapid gunfire happens, but give them detailed music which has to be reproduced correctly and most subs might as well be playing in the bathroom for all the good they do to the track. The STF-3 looks like a very good bargain indeed.
Quote:
Even a VTF-3 in Max Output mode was flat to 22Hz, which is what the STF-3's based on.
Once the STF-3 is reviewed I am sure they will re-rate it at least to flat to 22Hz. Hsu ratings are very known to be very conservative. It is identical to the upcoming VTF-3 MK2 except of course the Glossy Piano Black finish and variable tune (oh and an illuminating Hsu badge).

Ddavidson
post #34 of 43 Old 01-07-2004, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

What I don't understand about the STF3 HSU Subwoofer is the frequency/decibal range. What is the frequency range of the subwoofer? Can the subwoofer handle an 18hz frequency or not? If so what is the decibal level of the 18hz frequency level? Does anyone have a true frequency response graph of these subwoofers?
post #35 of 43 Old 01-07-2004, 10:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 82
edward,

Since it is new, there have not been any third party reviews as of yet.

But FWIW, here is a review of the VTF-3MKII that the STF-3 is based on:
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...er-1-2004.html

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #36 of 43 Old 01-07-2004, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by edwardr132
I personally like the Definitive PF15TL+ with the 15" driver and 500 watt amp. I know there are a lot of internet fanatics around who love HSU and SVS, but I think that this sub should not be ruled out as well. I really like what I hear out of it.
Although, I personally have never heard a HSU or SVS, I did have the PF15TL+ in my living room. All I can say is, it was only there for 2 days. If I was looking for BOOM for movies, then maybe I would have loved it.
post #37 of 43 Old 01-07-2004, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by kgoetz97
Just ordered mine and can't wait for it to come in:D
Will be interested to hear any comments when you do receive it.
post #38 of 43 Old 01-07-2004, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by video321
Although, I personally have never heard a HSU or SVS, I did have the PF15TL+ in my living room. All I can say is, it was only there for 2 days. If I was looking for BOOM for movies, then maybe I would have loved it.

That is what I thought as well when I first bought it. Once I calibrated it with my existing large speakers, I think it sounds great right now. I found for music, I don't want to get a headache listening to music with huge bass. I turned down the gain and set the receiver to "large" as best as possible for my Onkyo receiver. It then really enhances for music the lower bass guitars. It required just the right settings at both the receiver and at the subwoofer to get the right sound. Music sounds fantastic with really tight bass with the settings I am using. My Cd's have never sounded so good. I am really picky about sound. I own 20+ year old Infinity Quantum 2 speakers for left and right and an Infinity Quantum 3 speaker for my center channel. I haven't found any decent speakers that can match the emit tweeters and tight midrange and bass when listening to music. In my opinion the PF15TL+ does a great job at the lower end of the bass frequency range for music without the boominess provided the gain is just right. For movies the impact on low tones is I believe quite impressive with the flexibility to really boost the gain on the bass when needed. Not bad for about $580....

I also own a Behringer Feedback Destroyer, but have not had the time to integrate it with the subwoofer yet.
post #39 of 43 Old 01-07-2004, 11:37 AM

Quote:
All I can say is, it was only there for 2 days. If I was looking for BOOM for movies, then maybe I would have loved it.
If all I was ever looking for was BOOM for movies, then the choice of subwoofers is as endless as the brands and models on the market.

How prim and proper the loudness of the Death Star blowing up is just so overblown on internet forums (pardon the pun) Playing back music containing varying and detailed bass far better separates the performance of most of the subwoofers avaliable. Many very average subwoofers are being very heavily pushed as great subwoofers when they clearly are not.

Two days is far too long a time to punish ones ears with most of the boom boxes being sold as subwoofers. 14Hz +/- 3dB on a manufacturers spec sheet has nothing even remotely close to real meaning in "real life" testing. Its a jungle that only marketers love. Conservative is not in the marketeers language, however ..... dreams, optimism, deception and even out right lies play a big part of the noise being made.

Ddavidson
post #40 of 43 Old 01-07-2004, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

If anyone has a VTF2 or VTF3 HSU sub in the Naperville, Illinois area, I would love to compare it the PF15TL+. I am leary about buying a subwoofer through the net and ABT electronics being in the Chicagoland area with a liberal return policy made it a no brainer for me. I still have a few weeks before the point of no return.
post #41 of 43 Old 01-07-2004, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

For me in the perfect world, the ideal sub would be one that only goes between 15hz and 50hz. To do that efficiently requires a larger subwoofer, probably in the 18inch range. I have heard the contrabass and that one definately fits the bill! The problem is the price.
post #42 of 43 Old 01-07-2004, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Anybody tried the 12"inch Klipsch subwoofer sold at Bestbuy? Is it any good? or the Velodyne 15" subwoofer sold at CircuitCity? They both are around $500/so....
post #43 of 43 Old 01-07-2004, 12:29 PM

outlaw audio's LFM-1
$579
+/- 2db @180~25hz
Bash amp 325w rms/1300w peak spl 115db max
dimension 21.75x15x22 (HxWxD)
12 inch downfiring driver w/ downfiring ports
3 yr parts/labor warranty