can you upgrade the amplifier/bypass the amplifier on most subs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-08-2004, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it possible to upgrade the amplifier or bypass the amplifier built in on commercially purchased subwoofers? I currently own the Definitive PF15TL+. I was just wondering if that was a capability built in and how would you go about it. I have some pro amplifiers lying around and was wondering if they would provide more power than the built in one.

If I was to return the subwoofer, what feature should I look for in being able to do this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-08-2004, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The other question I have is are home audio amplifiers rated differently than pro audio amplifiers. I have a sneaking suspicion that my 200 watt Peavey mixer/amp has tons more power than the 500 watt amplifer (marked 700 watts on the unit itself) included on the Definitive PF15TL+.
Just curious before I try to make it happen.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-08-2004, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Typically, the amp is integral to the design. I do not think it would be feasible to do what you're planning.

Tony

In search of the Holy Grail.

Hometown team
post #4 of 10 Old 01-08-2004, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Too bad...... I think the speaker itself is good, but just could use a little more power.....
post #5 of 10 Old 01-08-2004, 10:52 AM

All you have to do is remove the sub driver or the built in amplifier. Disconnect the speaker wire that runs from the amp to the sub. This will disable the built in amp.

You then find a way to connect new speaker wire that run from your new amp (drilling new hole perhaps) to the sub driver.

This will by pass the built in amp and crossover all together. Hopefully, you already have a receiver with sub out.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-08-2004, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by edwardr132
The other question I have is are home audio amplifiers rated differently than pro audio amplifiers. I have a sneaking suspicion that my 200 watt Peavey mixer/amp has tons more power than the 500 watt amplifer (marked 700 watts on the unit itself) included on the Definitive PF15TL+.
Just curious before I try to make it happen.
Edward

be EXTREMLTY carefull with the Peavy amps. I am familiar with them and there dampening factor literally sucks. For sub-woofer amplifier. You WANT an amplifier with a VERY HIGH dampening factor. For instance. Crown K1 or Crown K2 come in at greater than 3000. This makes these two amps perfect for subwoofer duties. But also be careful with pro amplifier as usually they only come with XLR/TRS inputs ONLY.

BTW what model Peavy amp you have?

To answer your question. There is a couple of things that would need to happen.

1. The amp plate would NEED to be replaced with some sort of plate/cover that will close the opening. Once that is done.

2. Need new input terminals. This will have the sub wires connected to them.

3. Connect external amplifier to the input terminal and you are done.

It sounds easy but there might be some complication.

BTW I also own this Sub woofer. Not sure where you are getting the 700 watts. The PF15TL+ is 500 watt RMS. I can tell you that it will get you in trouble in an apartment easily ;)

Do NOT let the magic smoke out because it is impossible to put the magic smoke back in!!!!
post #7 of 10 Old 01-08-2004, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi Figgie. Good to know someone else who actually owns one of these subwoofers instead of the typical SVS HSU internet fan club around here.
That is more work than I planned on doing so I won't even attempt it. I was just hoping for an easy bypass. Its really not that big of a deal.... The actual amplifier on the side shows 700 watts. I know the manual itself says 500 watts. What does your amplifier on the back show?

Have you tried equalizing the subwoofer at all? Just curious.... Also how do you have your sub hooked up? I have mine currently hooked from the Subwoofer out on the receiver to stereo in on the Subwoofer.... I have my receiver set to large speakers and crossovering at 80hz on the receiver side. I haven't really played with the subwoofer controls much like having all the speaker wires go through the sub. I don't know how much improvement that would have if any....
post #8 of 10 Old 01-08-2004, 12:20 PM

Just leave the existing amp in place. Drill or cut a new hole for the new speaker terminal and you're set.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-08-2004, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The only other thing to consider is that some of the 'plate' amps on subs have built in EQ circuits that are designed to compensate for non-linearities of the specific driver/cabinet combination. When you bypass the amp, you are also bypassing any 'correction' this may be making.

I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.
Bryan Pape - Lead Acoustician
GIK Acoustics

post #10 of 10 Old 01-09-2004, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Nothing that an EQ can't take care off :)

Do NOT let the magic smoke out because it is impossible to put the magic smoke back in!!!!
Closed Thread Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page