Wholey Bass! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-09-2004, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well Ive had my 20-39PC+ for 5 days now Ive spent every night this week moving it around the room, calibrating and adjusting except tonight. My 10 yr old daughter and I just got done watching Finding Nemo. I must say when I first got my SVS my initial response was unimpressive (due to my not having it set up properly). I had an M&K MV-125 prior to the SVS and thought it was an great sub. Well after tonight, I'm VERY happy I returned the M&K and spent the money on the 20-39. The SVS when set up properly and doing its job does it with force. When Darla taps on the glass its like your in the tank and the low frequency's are tight and very powerful. My daughter (who hadn't even noticed the SVS behind my main right speaker in the darkened theater room) noticed something was different right at the start of the movie when the barracuda's tail hits Marlin "DAD DID YOU FEEL THAT" I'm smiling "Yeah I felt that"(and I don't even have it set on the hot side and the seating is 12" away from the sub). The whole movie was great and more enjoyable to watch using the SVS over the M&K. Ive listened to quite a bit of music (all kinds) with it over the the last couple days but my impressions of the sub now that its set up properly are. The 20-39PC+ at every listening volume provides clean, tight bass. Even subtle bass notes in music are very well detailed. The bass clearly keeps up with the music and there is not any overhang that Ive noticed. Ive owned Klipsch, M&K, NHT, Def Tech and Yamaha subs all priced from $600-1300 and the SVS for $860 is the best one Ive ever owned and out of all the subs Ive ever heard in a demo room at Magnolia HiFI. I was a little skeptical when I first ordered it. I kept thinking to myself "man, I must be nuts spending money on something Ive never heard", "your taking the word of these band waggon bass lunatics". Well, I'm keeping the SVS. Thanks Tom from SVS and the others here who answered my questions about setup. Well I'm gonna go watch U-571 now. :)

Oh by the way I'm not bashing the subs from the other company's I listed in this post, I was happy with most of them at the times I owned them. But the SVS has out performed all of them in every aspect IMHO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-10-2004, 02:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I had a similiar experience as you did, I was very unimpressed when I first got the PB2+. It was positioned behind a couch in the middle of the room and it didnt do anything, the SPLs dropped off only a few feet from the sub. Then I moved the sub all the way back to listening position and havent looked back. the finding nemo glass tapping is everyone's favorite, as is the T2 shotgun blast and especially the Neo takeoff in chapter 3 of the matrix reloaded. Damn I love bass.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-10-2004, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Playback "Jurrasic Lunch" MP3- bass down to 10hz. Flexes & rattles floorboard/plasterboard wall. wow :-D

Titan A.E intro & Ice field
Toy Story II intro and plane sequence. This scene causes problems on a £2000 M&K MX-350, yet £700 SVS handles it with ease.
X2- Wolverine & girl fight (heavy drums), dam cracking scene.

Got the same same as you (blocked one)

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #4 of 5 Old 01-10-2004, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi whphel,

Glad you like your SVS, I loved my 20-39PC+ so much i have two of them now. Just what the Dr. ordered for my HT. :D

Tee

"Enjoy Movies & Music"

My Home Theater
post #5 of 5 Old 01-10-2004, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

We recently got our PB2+ and I finally played the Gandalf/Balrog plunge in DTS. There are two places where the Balrog hits the wall of the chasm on the way down. Dang! Right after the second one, when I was still a little shaken, my hubby suddenly comes into the room. I about had a heart attack! :D Now I tell my husband and sons, that if they start to see sheetrock dust falling down from the ceiling, to exit the room immediately! ;) And yes, it integrates well with music, when I have the privilege of listening down there. We are extremely pleased. There are lots of good subs out there and I think people who can have good bass (no apt., finances) will be surprised at how much it adds to the movie experience. I've changed my wording to the people we invite over. I don't say, "Come watch a movie with us," it is now, "Come EXPERIENCE this movie with us." It's a whole different level. The theater is fine, but I don't get shaken in a theater.

Dawn
Thanks guys!
Closed Thread Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page