Subwoofer wire length - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-11-2004, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
adm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I realize that threads have been dealing with wire lengths, f/r matching distances, size, composition and the like. On a slightly different note I am probably going to be setting up a Hsu STF3 sub in a corner which will be diagonally across from my receiver (HKavr7200).

Measured diagonally across the room (shortest physical distance), it is about 18 feet. But that would have the wire run on top of the carpet and in plain sight which would besides being aesthetically unacceptable, it would also result in all of my worldly goods (subwoofer included) being deposited on the front steps by my loving wife javascript:smilie(':p')javascript:smilie(':mad:'). In other words, doing that is NOT going to happen.

Running the wire around the perimeter of the room also not a good idea since there is a 4x6 fireplace apron along one of the perimeter walls adding to the length so that it approaches 40+ feet. Again not the way to go.

I feel almost like the 'Goldilocks syndrome' that the next way may be "Just Right": Running the connection down through the unfinished basement and across the rafters to be brought up behind the newly relocated (due to its size) receiver. This run would be approximately 25+ feet to allow a little flexibility when moving the receiver to the floor from its shelf to address wires in the back.

The question(s) of the moment: What type of connection should be used since the length is beyond the 20 foot cable offered by Hsu ($15 - which sounds reasonable, but unfortunately is just a tad toooooo short. And what would be a recommended cable/wire/connection lengths and available from...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-11-2004, 07:22 AM

Run a piece of rg6, solder on 2 rca ends from radio shack and youre done.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-11-2004, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
adm

Does the guage of the RG6 matter? If so, which would be recommended?
post #4 of 9 Old 01-11-2004, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

RG6 only comes in one size. I would recommend RG6QS (quad shield) for what you want to do. This is coaxial cable, by the way. Same cable used for antennas and CATV.

Yesterday I finished making 3 35' lengths of subwoofer cable using RG6QS with Canare RCA connectors. If you do this you'll need to purchase the coax stripper and crimp tools, but the total cost will still be far less than you'd spend on a 40' cable from a store. Radio Shack has everything you need, including the coax.

filmnut
post #5 of 9 Old 01-11-2004, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
adm

I have a length of "Trilogy RG6 75C 18awg ..(ETL) Catv & CL2" is this what you are refereing to? Does this have the specs that you are talking about. Otherwise, I will purchase direct.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-11-2004, 08:38 AM

Liked: 13
Personally I'd look at Bluejeanscables.com... They have about the best price/foot ratio I've seen and they perform very very well (IMO).

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/.../subwoofer.htm

That or if you want BetterCables, talk with SVS and see if they will send you one for the price they give the cables out with the subs... :)
post #7 of 9 Old 01-11-2004, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by adm
I have a length of "Trilogy RG6 75C 18awg ..(ETL) Catv & CL2" is this what you are refereing to? Does this have the specs that you are talking about. Otherwise, I will purchase direct.
It might do fine, although quad shield is better as it is less vulnerable to RF interference. With such a long run through an unfinished basement, the cable may come in close proximity to 120V power cabling and other sources of noise which could be picked up by the RG6 you have. There's really no way of knowing for sure, and RG6QS is cheap. For peace of mind I suggest you spend a few bucks for the quad shield.

BTW, if you prefer to buy stuff online, www.partsexpress.com is one of the best sources for all the items you'll need.:)

p.s the link that pewterTA gave you for premade cables is very good too if you don't feel like making your own.:)

filmnut
post #8 of 9 Old 01-11-2004, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by PewterTA
Personally I'd look at Bluejeanscables.com... They have about the best price/foot ratio I've seen and they perform very very well (IMO).

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/.../subwoofer.htm

That or if you want BetterCables, talk with SVS and see if they will send you one for the price they give the cables out with the subs... :)
I must second this recommendation.

I recently was in the same situation as you. I had purchased an HSU STF-2, and I wanted to put it in the corner back by my couch. It was nearly a 40' run. I got a 45' cable from bluejeanscable (the Belden 1505F) and it works like a charm. It was under 40 bucks. I ordered it on Jan 2, and they weren't even taking a holiday! They had it shipped out that day and I received the cable on Monday.

Regards,
Karl
post #9 of 9 Old 01-11-2004, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
adm

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions +the websites with specific locations to the products involved (univibe88, Filmnut, PewterTA and others). I added the Bluejeanscable & the Partsexpress links to my bookmarks.

I also took the advice trying to do it myself by visiting the local Radio Shack. Besides the offer of selling a length of cable and inexpensive gold connectors, they also had a 25ft RG6 shielded with gold connects for $20. The Bluejeanscable price listed came in at around $40. Prices on all counts seem reasonable.

The sub should arrive in few days, decision should be made shortly. Thanks again for the information, education and assistance.

..Mark
Closed Thread Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page