Should I eliminate my sub-woofer? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-12-2004, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I currently have an Aperion Audio Intimus 5.1 –10 speakers system. I’m about to upgrade the two front right and left bookshelf speakers to Aperion’s new floor standing model. I’m a little confused at this point because I already have a stand-alone sub-woofer (10â€), but the towers include built in 8†woofers in each tower. Will this eliminate the need for the stand-alone sub? Any suggestions would be great!

Current speaker system package

Current subwoofer

New speakers I'm purchasing

"Why reasonable people go stark raving mad whenever anything involving a negro comes up, is something I don't pretend to understand." Harper Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-12-2004, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Hard to say for sure, but leaving the sub in should allow you to maintain higher SPL in the bass range. You could just crossover at about 60Hz. That way, your new towers will get some work below the level your current bookshelves go, but yet won't be responsible for the entire range, allowing them to put out clearer sound. Only way to tell for sure will be to try them out for yourself once you get the speakers in your system though. Try just the speaks themselves set to large (no crossover) and try them on the same material crossed over aroun 60hz with the sub and decide for yourself.

Good luck.

Kensai
post #3 of 3 Old 01-13-2004, 12:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Depends, teh sub has to be phased right on with the speaker, bass is the hardest to control and sometimes in the speaker is better. Idealey my feeling is that real low bass a sub is better for because you really don't want that comming out of your mains to much. Sub bass you should feel and not really hear. Anyhow if you use the system for movies you need the sub you can't do souround with out it. It is a channel in the souround system. As for muxic listen and see if it muddies the sounds or add feeling to the music. If it muddies the sound try moving it or playing with the phase.

Jason
Note: Any posts are of my personal opinions and not to reflect upon any business.

Jason@programmergeek.com

908 578-6466

Closed Thread Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page