Which Sub with B&W 603 S3's? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-15-2004, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I just purchased a pair of B&W 603 S3's for fronts and a LCR600 S3 for a center channel. I plan on using a pair of Polk Audio RC60i in the ceiling for surrounds (compromise with wife - but I'm still wiring for 601's on the floor). The room is in the basement and is approximately 14' x 24' x 7'. The TV (50" GWIII) is in one corner with the 603's on either side (~6' apart) and everything is going to be driven by a Sony ES STR-DA3000ES receiver. I've heard bad things about the B&W subs (I wasn't impressed with the sound or price) and would like to get some options. I'm not really a bass freak and generally turn my current Kenwood sub down during movies. I will probably use this system for about 60% TV, 25% DVD's and 15% music. The HSU VTF-2 is the leader right now in my search.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-15-2004, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

I have a ufw-10 from ********** with my 603's and lcr. It matches very, very well-- most people who come over to listen are absolutely convinced the bass is coming from the speakers, and are very surprised when I turn of the sub to demonstrate where it's coming from. I'm using a pioneer 45tx for the receiver, and about 10% tv, 50% dvd, 20% music, 20% games. I also live in an apartment, so I like that it doesn't produce wall-shaking bass (as I don't want to be evicted). Then again, I've never really turned it up past -15db.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-15-2004, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

If you're getting a decent sub - get the B&W 602s instead. You'll save a bit and shouldn't notice a sound difference.

Colin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 11 Old 01-15-2004, 03:12 PM

Liked: 13
I agree, if you want smaller Main speakers, the 602s sound better in my opinion than the 603s...with a good sub...and if you want to save money.

I got the DM604s and the SVS PC+20-39 and it's unbelieveable how it sounds...

My friend has the 603s with the HSU VTF-2 sub and loves it and as I test I brought the 20-39 with me so we could compare them. Both did considerably well for the price paid, but my friend and I both agree that the SVS was the overall winner. Granted you are paying 825 vs 499 for the SVS. However I've heard the difference from the PCi to the PC+...and unless you crank it, you'd have a difficult time telling the two apart. So for the PCi 599, I think I would have to go with that one.

On a side note, my friend sold his HSU and ordered a SVS PCi 20-39...because he just didn't have the money to put down for a PC+. Now my friend watches a lot more movies than TV or music...so for him it was a clear choice...for others...don't know.

Moral: If you go with either HSU or SVS with a B&W setup, you'll be happy!
post #5 of 11 Old 01-16-2004, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. I already have the 603's on the way (nicely priced used deal). It is interesting that you mention the SVS subs. The person that I purchased the 603's from has a SVS sub that he wants to sell (16-46 I believe). He said that it was very nice with the 603's. I'm going to "live with" the 603's and LCR for a bit and see what I think of the whole setup before I purchase a sub. Thanks again. Great feedback!!
post #6 of 11 Old 01-16-2004, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
PewterTA,

what a refreshing review, not bashing either HSU or SVS. I just had a question, I'm kind of torn between cylinder and box sub.. don't know whehter I'll get SVS or HSU yet.. but do you ting the VTF2 box sub was tighter... what would you say the main difference was? thanks!

Save Your Frequent Flyer Miles !! Barber's jobs are also being exported to China, you will have to fly to China now for a hair cut.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-16-2004, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

buckwheat-- I didn't have a sub for a while, and I really missed it on some movies (matrix reloaded and the lord of the rings, to name two). the speakers only go down to 47Hz (at least, that's what the website says), so you'll end up will not a lot of low-end frequencies coming out.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-16-2004, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

I figure that I'm such a gear whore that it wouldn't really take me too long before I end up with a decent sub. I may even hook-up my POS Kenwood sub till I have enough funds to complete my setup. Hell I'm still in the middle of construction on my HT/basement project (~1200 sqft w/1/2 bath and bar). All of this is going in my bedroom until the basement is finished. Thanks again for all of the feedback.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-16-2004, 12:38 PM

Liked: 13
Mendes...VTF-2...well...yeah I guess you could say it was a little bit "tighter." I think the 25-31 would sound just as good as the VTF-2 probably as far as tightness would go. However, the 20-39 didn't miss a beat...so I guess I would look at it like this...

Do you watch movies at all...if the answer is yes, then get the SVS cylinder...if the answer is never...then go for the VTF-2. Not saying now that the HSU is bad at movies...not at all...however the SVS does go lower and deeper than the VTF-2 a little bit more effortlessly it seemed. Again, this is listening to it at pretty loud volumes.

I don't think anyone would really notice the difference between the two unless they have heard them together...however I think if you have someone that has the SVS and you have the HSU...you might want a SVS.

I guess I would have to say, it's honestly worth the price of the SVS, but if you can't afford that and want to save a few bucks, then the HSU is a perfectly acceptable choice...

But if I had to pick no matter what the cost, over all I like the way SVS sounds/feels.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-16-2004, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
thanks appreciate it..

Save Your Frequent Flyer Miles !! Barber's jobs are also being exported to China, you will have to fly to China now for a hair cut.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-16-2004, 04:49 PM

The VTF-2 has been in production for many years now, and is vastly improved today culminating in MKII version, so use caution in comparing. The STF-3, VTF-3, and TN1220HO can easily hold their own with almost any commercial subwoofer out there in their respective price ranges. They all use larger enclosures, 12 inch driver, and more powerful amps than VTF-2. No comparison really as frequency dips below 25Hz, as expected.

The VTF-2 tested in 1997 had 109.7dbs averaged output using 10% distortion limit in output mode, 107.1db's averaged output in extension mode with 91db's at 20Hz. These numbers place this sub is very high company (think near more expensive sub from Paradigm, Velodyne, ..). Numerous advances have been made in the years on this very product. The current STF-2 is $399 (or $349 at CompUSA if you can find one), has more power, more port diameter radial area than VTF-2 tuned for extension. The current VTF-2 is also selling for $449 with free shipping.

The STF-3 is $599, VTF-3 MKII will be selling next month for $699 with free shipping. Amazingly but true.
Closed Thread Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page