Which way should sub port point? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 03-11-2004, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got a BIC 12" sub for my new HT setup, which I bought due to recommendations from the wizards on this forum. It sounds outstanding (but, of course, this comes from a noob who hasn't ever had one before) - I'd have just bought the $99 Costco KLH special if I hadn't been following things here.

A question - this is a down-firing sub and it has a round, open port on one side, a side immediately adjacent to the side with all of the switches and connections. The instructions give no indications as to which direction the port should be pointed in.

If I have the sub next to a wall, should the port point out into the room, parallel to the wall, or back towards the wall? Likewise, if I end up putting it in a corner, should the port point into the corner, directly towards one of the walls, parallel to a wall, or out into the room? Or does it even matter?

Don P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-11-2004, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

If I were you 'd point it into a corner about 18"-24" out from the corner .

The port is putting out a tuned frequency that you'll want to amplify for movies. Hopefully it's not too noisy of a port.

I'm curious though , who recommended this sub ???

BIC rarely gets mentioned around here (At least since I've been here), especially when it comes to subs .
post #3 of 19 Old 03-11-2004, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

I figured that pointing it into the wall or a corner made the most sense, but then I would think the manufacturer would have put the port on the same side as the switches and connectors because you would expect to have that side face the wall/corner.

As far as the BIC recommendation, check out:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ub#post3368357

and

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ub#post3356727

I got a V1220 for about $180 on eBay.
post #4 of 19 Old 03-11-2004, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Well those are hardly "recommendations from wizards" around here , but it's a moot point now. :)

You've got it ... they are cheap .... the question now is .... How does it sound ? :)

If it sounds good to you , you've got a winner for your needs.

I'd be curious to know (Since I've never even seen a BIC sub) how well it does at higher out puts. Do you get a lot of port noise , ringing , resonance or other anomalies ?

Any sub that inexpensive has got to have some limitations .
post #5 of 19 Old 03-11-2004, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Does it have to be recommended by a "wizard" from AVS before purchased? LOL. From all I've read they are a nice bargain sub along the lines of the SA-WM500 and the Dayton 10" from PE. I've read that some of them use BASH amps. They are quality subs. Now as far as sound goes I couldn't tell you as I haven't heard one.
post #6 of 19 Old 03-11-2004, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Well I now know that they aren't Hsu/Outlaw twins. I suspect the same factory makes all of them. Everyone that has gotten one of the BICs is extremely happy. Under $ 200 for a BASH amp, two year waranty on the electronics, and seven years on the driver. I think that is still a good deal.

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined. ~ Henry David Thoreau
post #7 of 19 Old 03-11-2004, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Like I said, my HT setup is brand new and it's my first, so I have nothing to compare it to. I haven't heard any of the artifacts that you mention, but I just got the sub yesterday and only hooked it up last night, so I haven't had time to do more than plug it in an test it out with some TV and a DVD (through a PS2 over s-video). I'm still waiting for my dedicated DVD player and DVE disc to arrive. Then I can do some more serious setup work and figure out where the sub should go and which direction the port should point so I can run the cable through the wall and set it up permanently.

Up to this point I have only had my Hometech in-wall speakers (from Best Buy) attached to the system. Bass was OK, but a sub was definitely indicated.

All I can say is that the sub sounds great to me so far. More important, my son came down while I was playing the Star Wars Ep II DVD and gave me a wide-eyed look and said "Coooooooooooooool". I guess that's the most important review!

I probably won't know how good (or bad) this sub really is until I upgrade some time in the distant future. The entire setup (projector, reciever, speakers, DVD player, cables, etc.) is pushing $3K right now, which is probably about the limit my wife would put on the project. I don't think I'll be buying a $1000 sub anytime soon!
post #8 of 19 Old 03-11-2004, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

No doubt Tex. They are a good deal for sure.
post #9 of 19 Old 03-11-2004, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe we can get Craig to do an under $200 review. :)

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined. ~ Henry David Thoreau
post #10 of 19 Old 03-11-2004, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Think about it for a second guys ...

Under 200 for

1. Subwoofer driver (A good driver is atleast $50- 100 )
2. Amp (How much is a good sub amp ? I'd say you have to spend atleast another $125 for anything marginal in that power range)
3. Cabinet - Well a sheet of MDF 3/4 is about $30 and that doesn''t include the veneer on the outside.
4. Assembly included (Cutting gluing screwing and finish)
5. Miscellaneous , wire power cord , feet ... etc etc.

Something has to be cheap in that thing! This is in NO WAY a put down spyfy ...

I just have to wonder and am curious just what is in that thing ! And it must be made in China .... right ?
post #11 of 19 Old 03-11-2004, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Who cares where it's made or what's inside of it, lol. How's it sound? For the money? That's the question. Back to the posters original question. I've found the port facing a wall gives me a more bass. Give it a try.

Back to Petre. This thing suppossedly has a BASH amp in it so at least we know that part is good. Also keep in mind that these manufacturers do not pay what me or you would pay for these parts. They buy it in bulk so their cost is much less. I've never heard anyone say something bad about BIC America speakers or subwoofers. I don't wanna sound like a fanboy cause I don't own either. I'm running JBL's and a Sony SA-WM500 sub.
post #12 of 19 Old 03-11-2004, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

http://www.sounddistributors.com/buy...erica+Speakers

Link to some specs on the 12" version. If the specs are true it sounds like a very good bargain sub.
post #13 of 19 Old 03-11-2004, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Petre-

So are Hsu and Outlaw subs and Rocket and Onix speakers as well as Shandling components. And how many other speakers and components or the parts therein? As for the amp; the $125 is our cost from partsexpress but what is partsexpress' cost? What would PE's cost be if they were buying in enough quantity to build all the Hsu, Outlaw, and BIC subs and whatever else this plant makes? And we know that BASH amps are above "marginal." The same principle of mass buying applies to the rest of the materials. What if they make the drivers? My understanding is the cabinet is the most expensive part of a speaker. BTW- there is no veneer just paint.

post #14 of 19 Old 03-12-2004, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Don't misunderstand me ... I'm not knocking them .

I'm just curious how good could they be at a sub $200 price.

If they're great , so be it . I'd be very impressed.

Just curiousity , not bashing.

They do look to be a laminate/veneered finish though.

Amazing deal ... probably worth buying for the box and amp and throwing in a high quality subwoofer.
post #15 of 19 Old 03-12-2004, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tex-amp
Maybe we can get Craig to do an under $200 review. :)
For $200 I may just do that... We are getting ready to test a Dharman, VTF-3, and the Rocket UFW-10 ....in a $600 shootout...

After that, I may just check this sub out... for $200, it would be really great to find a nice sub for the newbie... or budget conscience guy !

Is there any interest in this ? I am talking blind tests... the whole shooting match !
post #16 of 19 Old 03-12-2004, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

What other subs, the Partsexpress Tiny Mighty II what else?

post #17 of 19 Old 03-12-2004, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Petre

They do look to be a laminate/veneered finish though.

It looks like you're right. The finish does look like faux wood grain. I thought it was textured paint.

post #18 of 19 Old 03-12-2004, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Never point a port at your eyes or at small children. Do not point a port at lit candles. Do not point a port at your ear or attempt to hear inside a port as though it were a sea shell. Do not point a port at a hamster or gerbil cage, you're just going to cause problems. Make sure the electricity is unplugged when pointing any subwoofer. Wear proper safety equipment at all times. When it doubt, point the port towards a corner to minimize any hazards.

Joel Bernstein
post #19 of 19 Old 03-12-2004, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

I'm pointing the SW port toward the side until the baby is old enough not shove toys inside of it.
Closed Thread Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page