Sub for C7s - SVS? Velodyne? HSU? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-29-2004, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, I'm looking for the final piece of the puzzle. After months of looking at speakers, receivers, etc., I'm *almost* there. I just need a sub. Here's what I'm getting.

Yamaha 2400 receiver
Energy Connoisseur C7s - fronts
Energy Connoisseur CR-3 - rears
Energy Connoisseur CC-3 - center

(total cost is $2,470 US, btw, which seems reasonable to me)

And the sub I'm getting is...not the Energy sub, which does not sound good to my ear, and which no one seems to speak very highly of anyway. So what do you recommend for this set-up? I figure it should cost in the $600-$800 range but I could go higher (or lower) for the right sub.

The dealer (6th Ave. Electronics) has a few Velodynes that seemed pretty good, and also a Paradigm Servo -- I think 15 -- that I liked. Both the Velodyne and Paradigm seem like solid choices...am I wrong there? Anything else I should look at? What's up with the SVS I hear so much about?

FYI, the room is about 18x16, fully closed on the front wall but open on either side of the rear wall to a cul-de-sac on one side (big enough for a really big beer fridge!) and an open area leading up to stairs on the other. There is a 7' high drop ceiling.

Listening will be 90%HT and 10% Music. Although I'm hoping to get more into music once I get all this stuff rigged up!

Also, the dealer recommends the CC-1 center instead of the CC-3 on the grounds that the front row of seats is only about 8' from the screen, and it was a better match to the C-5s. But I work under the assumption that bigger is better for centers ;-)

c
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-30-2004, 07:20 AM

FWIW, onecall.com is having a sale on all of the Velodyne CHT subwoofers, decent (to me) prices off list.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-30-2004, 07:22 AM

Liked: 11
For the most potency you can buy for under $800... $775 for the SVS 25-31 pc-plus...
post #4 of 7 Old 03-30-2004, 07:26 AM

Craig 17:

congrats on the new setup, I love those energy speakers. I think your question about subs could be decided on where you live US or Canada(It didn't say in your profile)If your in the US I think svs can't really be beat in terms of price, particularily in the price range you were thinking of. However if your in Canada svs is really almost out of the question, when your through the currency conversion, duty, and shipping which I can gaurantee will be huge( most of their subs are around 100lbs), in which case Canadian speaker makers can't be beat, ie, paradigm and the servo 15 which is a pretty amazing sub. Also I remember reading a sub shootout somewhere(can't remember where sorry...I think it was on a forum..) where the were testing an svs,hsu, and servo 15..and the servo 15 came out on top in terms of the overall sound quality...however it was about $800 more than the second place svs. So basically if your dealer is showing you the servo 15 and you can get it in your price range I say go for that, if he(or she) is trying to up your budget to 1300-1500 I say go svs.

just my opinion( you really can't go wrong with those choices)
Tristan
post #5 of 7 Old 03-30-2004, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Oops, forgot location. I'm in NJ but also work in NY so can get to dealers in both places. 6th Ave. seems to be the only one locally with Energy speakers, though.

Sounds like the SVS is now at the top of the list!
post #6 of 7 Old 03-30-2004, 09:49 AM

Liked: 13
I would say with the 90% movies, you would be most happy with either the HSU or SVS. Both will perform almost exactly the same, with the SVS *maybe* a slight bit ahead when it comes to the low low low frequencies. I'd look at both companies, see which model you like (cylinder or box) and then how much you want to spend and go from there...
post #7 of 7 Old 03-30-2004, 10:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
On the Hsu end of things, don't forget the STF-3 and VTF-3MK2. My room is just about the size of yours, and my older VTF-3 is more than capable of handling it.

-curtis

Owner of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Volunteer Mod at the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

Closed Thread Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page