SVS Subwoofers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 05-05-2004, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I recently (today) bought a HT setup, but didn't buy a subwoofer. Any SVS owners out there with some advice? Here's my current setup.

Fronts: Paradigm Studio 60 v.3
Center: Paradigm CC-470
Surrounds: Paradigm Studio 40 v.3

Receiver: Marantz 7400
SACD/DVD-A: Marantz 6400

I was looking at the Paradigm PW-2200. I'm mostly interested in the music being accurate and clean and would like my HT to have some bass, just not window rattling bass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 05-05-2004, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't own one but from what I hear the cyliner subs offer a better value.

-BigK35-
post #3 of 25 Old 05-05-2004, 06:57 PM

Liked: 15
Take a listen to the Servo-15. The PCi series is equivalent, IMO. Unless you are in Canada, the clear value goes to the SVS. Digm does make good subs, the Servo15 especially nice. I own a PCi 20-39, and was going to go with a very modest digm sub, something like a PDR10 maybe. Then I heard the Servo-15, and the huge improvement in the quality convinced me immediately that I needed that kind of performance, hence the splurge on the SVS, without totally blowing apart my budget with a servo15. It also allowed me to get much much better speakers too, which, IMO are much more important for stereo anyway!
post #4 of 25 Old 05-05-2004, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The PCi is similar to the Servo-15? That's great, especially since that's SVS's lowest models.
post #5 of 25 Old 05-05-2004, 07:51 PM

Liked: 11
System is very good... what is the size of your room, and budget ?
post #6 of 25 Old 05-05-2004, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The HT is going to be set up in one half of the lower level of a split level ranch, so I guess the area would be about 13'X20'? Not exactly sure since I don't close on the house until 5/10/04.

I don't really have a budget, but I would love to keep it under $800. Especially if the PCi line performs almost as well as the PC-Plus line. I just spent $4,500 on the system (speakers+receiver+SACD player) and about $5,000 on a honeymoon to Hawaii. I'm hurting. :)
post #7 of 25 Old 05-05-2004, 09:33 PM

The 25-31 pc plus is a great choice... I think it is $775 plus shipping, and it will give you solid bass to 22 Hz.... lower if you block a port... and it will also do a great job on music...
post #8 of 25 Old 05-06-2004, 08:22 PM

Give the folks at SVS a call; they have great Customer Service and will spend quality time to walk you through the process to choosing the right sub for your room. When I was deciding, I spoke to them and they sold me DOWN a model. Quite a surprise. I have a 20-39PCi and love it. I have yet to see a poor review on an SVS sub. Good luck with it.
post #9 of 25 Old 05-06-2004, 08:47 PM
ekb
AVS Special Member

toker -

I've never heard SVS so I can't comment on them. But I have lots of experience with both the PW-2200 and the Servo-15 because I own both. Given that the rest of your system is Paradigm it might make sense to keep it all "in the family". I purchased the PW-2200 first and thought that it was a great sub. About 2 years latter I got the Servo-15. I'm the eternal skeptic and wondered how the Servo could be better than the 2200 - after all, loud undistorted deep bass is loud undistorted deep bass! I was wrong. I was really amazed at what a difference there is in quality of bass. Who would have thunk. Maybe it's the ported design vs the sealed, maybe it's the servo feedback loop, I don't know. But anyhow, given that you've spent a lot of money on the top Paradigm line, it only makes sense to me that you finish the job that you've started and get a matching high quality sub.

Ed
post #10 of 25 Old 05-06-2004, 09:04 PM

First off, congrats on the new system! I have the exact same setup as you (as far as speakers go). For a sub I chose the svs pb2+, I cannot tell you how sick this sub is. I had heard the hype but I was still a little bit skeptical. After unpacking and listening to this thing I have to say that it was worth every penny. It blends very well for music and makes its presence felt with every cannon blast in Master and Commander. If you have the cash and the room.. I say go SVS. You will not be dissatisfied.
post #11 of 25 Old 05-06-2004, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

Trying to match brand names was something I got over a little while ago. Almost any good sub can blend in with your speakers if calibrated right. As a Paradigm owner myself I almost bought a PW2200 and then found SVS online while researching. Went with the PB2+ and never looked back.
post #12 of 25 Old 05-07-2004, 06:56 AM

Whoa, This looks so familiar...
I Think I wrote the Same thing...LOL I was in the same Boat..
I Also Just Bought,
Studio 100 v.3 Tower
CC-570 Center
ADP-470 Rear

& I Was Undecided about the Sub, I Wanted to match all the Speakers too.
But after some research, talking to a few people here/there & some Friends Advising me, I Went w/ the SVS PB2-Plus Sub.
The Seismic is $1699 Retail, the SVS went for $1149, Which also has 2-12" Saved some Money.
Well I wish I could tell you how it sounds, But I don't have it 'Yet' It's on back order for 3-weeks...
Everyone says It is a Really Nice Sub, I can't wait to get her...

~Got HDTV~
post #13 of 25 Old 05-07-2004, 07:53 AM

Liked: 13
Congrats on the new system, you will definitely enjoy it!

I would say for your size room a PCi would work out without any problems. However, for what you are willing to pay and the difference, I would spend the money towards the PC+ line. I agree with Craig, a PC+ 25-30 would probably fit in perfectly. If you wanted a little more on the extension side than maybe the PC+ 20-39... but that would be up to you. You would also hold off the "what if" bug.

Though once you get one, you'll probably end up wondering what the PB2+ is like or in my case, PC-Ultra and PB2-Ultra...

ohh I wish I wish. lol
post #14 of 25 Old 05-07-2004, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Well, I have an SVS 20-39 PC + in a fairly large room...and that thing is awesome. I have an all Paradigm monitor set-up for the rest of my speakers. But the star in for sure the SVS. I have heard subs costing twice as much that can't keep up with it.

As far as Paradigm subs go...the servo-15 and the seismic are the only ones IMO that are very good subs..but for the $$$ you really should get an SVS..plus their customer service is second to none.
post #15 of 25 Old 05-07-2004, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

I owned the servo-15 for a couple of years, sold it to my son-in-law and bought an SVS 16-46PCi. I compared them as much as possible (they are about a mile apart-different homes). IMHO the SVS plays deeper (I tested both with sine waves, the servo doubled at 15HZ, the svs never doubled down to 10HZ!. Both can produce some very loud levels down to 20HZ and below. I felt that the servo wasn't as "Tight" as the svs. I also feel that the svs is slightly better for music, especially pipe organ. You will be happy with either, but, for the money, I believe the svs deserves careful consideration. Dennis

Dr Doan, Gonstead Chiropractor
It's the NERVE!
post #16 of 25 Old 05-07-2004, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Well, I won't get into it too much.....but I have even compared my SVS 20-39 PC+ to a VERY expensive B&W sub....and it was close..but the SVS had a cleaner, tighter sound. I know I know room acoustics, calibration, blah blah blah....but for the money....I don't think there is much out there that can come close.

Give them a call and im sure you get one....those guys are top notch and will only sell you what fits your room and budget.
post #17 of 25 Old 05-07-2004, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Much thanks for the replies. I emailed SVS and they sure have fast email responses. They recommended the SVS 20-39 PCi as comparable to the PW-2200 and at $599, that seems like a steal.

I ended up ordering it and can't wait to get it. If it's not powerful enough, I can still probably use it in one of my other rooms. :)
post #18 of 25 Old 05-07-2004, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Your best bet is to use windows paint, create the best approximation of the room you can with dimensions, and show furniture and speaker placement, as well as windows, hallways, fireplaces, etc. Then put it in an email with info on your listening preferences..Music/HT...Loudness...etc.. and email to tomv@svsubwoofers.com You will get customer service beyond your wildest dreams.

We traded mail quite a bit....I got the 20-39PCi in a 15x20 with Cathedral ceiling and open corner....it sits 14' from me and is unreal. (20-39 is the sweet-spot...most sold size and used in the Ultra)

Your "not window shaking" comment bugs me a little....any good sub when called for will rattle most windows. (china, glasses, pant legs, etc..) And I have to tell you, that's part of the fun and experience. While most movies bass is in the 25-30Hz range, some dip below 20Hz where your not hearing but feeling it. (Machine Voice in the latest Matrix, Ice Fields in Titan AE, etc...) My foundation can move in such tracks...the kids get huge smiles on their faces...so do I! :D And dont confuse that with the noise cheap Subs make when they attempt such low tracks..I've yet been able to trip up my SVS, and doubt I ever will.

Edit...Oops.....we were typing at the same time! :D Good luck, you'll love it!

JET
post #19 of 25 Old 05-07-2004, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Titan AE is unbelievable......."ice fields" and "building a planet"....will rattle anything not held down...all our picture frames go crooked when I demo that one....and normally I can only take it a bout -15 below my ref. level.
post #20 of 25 Old 05-07-2004, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Your "not window shaking" comment bugs me a little....any good sub when called for will rattle most windows.

> It kills me too. But my wife would kill me if the windows were rattling as much as I would abuse the sub. :)
post #21 of 25 Old 05-07-2004, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

heck...after using our SVS we had to put felt tabs behind all the pictures in the whole house to keep them from making so much noise! We also put down this non-skidding material on here knick knach shelves to keep stuff scooting off! Im DEAD serious....these are the real deal subs.
post #22 of 25 Old 05-07-2004, 01:42 PM

drdoan,
Nice to see another chiropractor enjoying his SVS. Well, I'll be a chiropractor in another year or so. At least I know that I'll be well taken care of when I move that monster of a sub (PB2+) around again. That thing is not too friendly on your back.

tokerblue,
Enjoy your new sub, but watch out for the upgrade bug. Once you hear it, you'll going to want more.
post #23 of 25 Old 05-07-2004, 02:15 PM
MRL
AVS Special Member

IMO I would go for the SVS after you talked to Ron or someone there about your room as you want to get it right the first time... I have a PB2+ and having many large and dual subs before I can't speak hightly enough about SVS. They wont oversell you!. Great subs for the money but even better than that they beat the competition at half the price. I'd buy SVS even if it cost as much as the Paridigm!
post #24 of 25 Old 05-08-2004, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PewterTA

Though once you get one, you'll probably end up wondering what the PB2+ is like or in my case, PC-Ultra and PB2-Ultra...

ohh I wish I wish. lol
This is so true, my PC Ultra will be delivered on Monday and anxiously awaiting to see the differences between my PC+ 16-46. I have a converted bedroom (12'x11') for a dedicated home theater room which the PC+ 16-46 is complete overkill.
I love it loud and even entertaining the idea of hooking up both subs together before I sell the PC+.
When it comes to movies and bass its always fun to be excessive.
post #25 of 25 Old 05-08-2004, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Tom V. from SVS said it doesn't get much better than dual PW-2200's. I agree. 2 is much better than 1. Stacked is even better. Having 2 stacked means the level control doesn't have to be as high, making it more musical. Also, having them stacked reduces cancellations. Just my opinions....

Though, with the PW-2200, placement is everything...they're hard to find the sweetspot...but worth the extra effort to find it IMHO.

Anyone selling an SVS PB12 Ultra/2 in Textured Black in North Tx, Ok., La., or Ar., P.M. me please. Have truck, will travel!

My outdated HT pics
Closed Thread Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page