Velodyne DLS-3500 8" @ Costco - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-13-2004, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was at Costco today and was surprised to see them selling the Velodyne DLS-3500 8" sub pretty cheap ($149). They usually carry the very low-end KLH subs.... Anyways, I've got 2 pairs of Klipsch Quintets laying around doing nothing and I"m wondering if this sub would play "high" enough without becoming too boomy to mate with these satellites? I know the Quintets aren't exactly quality speakers, but I got them dirt cheap a while back and would like to get some use outta them. I'd probably only use these as either a bedroom system or maybe hooked up to my PC so I'm not talking about critical listening here. Would this work ok? Opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-13-2004, 08:28 PM

I picked it up today to replace a Paradigm PS-1000 that has an ailing auto-on switch. I can tell you that it does not go as low as the PS-1000. The -3dB point on this Velo is only about 35Hz in-room and can't do much more than 85-90dB or so at this freq without bottomming.

But it is less boomy than the PS-1000, so this little sub does integrate with my mains (B&W CDM NTs) better than the Paradigm did so it is suiting its purpose. This sub is a stop-gap until I get time to build a sub. At that time, it will go upstairs to the secondary setup, which is based around Paradigm Atoms - probably similar to the quintets in terms of freq response. I think it will do what you are asking of it without any trouble. The price is certainly right.

If I get time, I'll change the xover to ~100Hz (right now it's at 75) and post another comment.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-14-2004, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll pick one up and give it a shot. Costco's got the best return policy in the industry so why not?
post #4 of 5 Old 12-02-2004, 08:28 PM

I just saw this sub at Costco today. At the time I didn't know enough to notice if it was the DLS-3500R or DLS-3500 which is discontinued. Seems like an awesome price on a brand name sub.

Anyone have any additional information or listening opinions?
post #5 of 5 Old 12-03-2004, 08:03 AM

FWIW, my initial impression (posted above) still stands after two weeks of having it in my main system. If you want thunderous, deep bass, look elsewhere. But this is a solid, feature-laden sub for someone on a strict budget.

I am satisfied with mine and it will not be going back. It will stay in my main system until I can build an Adire Audio DIY sub, at which point this one will go to the upstairs system.

I'm not recommending this sub for serious hobbyists, but for someone just starting out and/or looking for a stopgap sub that doesn't break the bank, it is nearly perfect. Also, the low price Costco has on it right now will nearly guarantee that the resale value of this sub will stay close to 80%-90% of the original purchase price.
Closed Thread Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page