PW-2200 or HSU VFT-3 MK 2? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-18-2004, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, based on my listening preferences and allowed budget, I am going with Paradigm Monitor 7's, CC-370, and ADP-370's.

Now, what sub? I listened to the PDR-12 and PW-2200 at the dealer. PW-2200 is much better (no kidding huh?). But I am considering the HSU VTF-3 MK 2.

Here's my question, assuming the price of the PW-2200 is equal (w/tax) to the price of an HSU VTF-3 MK 2 delivered, which would you buy with your $750? (I know there is something to be said for doing all your business in one place, but at this point, I'm looking for the best sub at this price point).

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2004, 11:19 AM

Liked: 11
rileybrody

I was considering those subs and also the SVS 25-31PC Plus. Since both the HSU and SVS outperform the PW I just eliminated the PW from my options. I ended up deciding on the SVS only because I have a couple friends that had quality issues with the VTF-3. I also read a review on a comparo between the SVS and HSU and they came very close in performance. You could say the SVS is better for Home theater while the HSU for music. And since the use I would give it is about 90% HT, it was a no brainer.

Good luck!
Jorge
Old 11-18-2004, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Are all you SVS owners enrolled in some kind of sales commission program or something?? The dude was asking about the Hsu and the Paradigm. :rolleyes:

The Hsu is an excellent sub. Very well-balanced for both movies and music. I can definitely recommend it.

I've not heard the PW-2200, but I know there are other threads discussing it if you search a bit. Numbers-wise, the Hsu beats the 'digm. But, your ears may tell a different story. What I would do is buy the PW-2200 locally, order a VTF-3 II, and compare them both side by side in your own room. Then return the 'loser'.

Don't feel the need to get a Paradigm sub just because the rest of your speakers are.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:15 PM

jephood

He never said "do not recommend other subs" did he? and the only reason I brought svs up is because like I explained, I was considering the exact subs he is asking advise on.

I have heard these subs and I don't see any harm in suggesting another option. After all, I thought that's what these forums are for, right?

And no, I did not get a penny from SVS.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Yeah, I know.. it's just that I see SVS owners swoop in all the time with their sales pitch. It's starting to irk me. I guess that wasn't your intention.

Well heck.. if you can afford the return shipping, Riley, go ahead and order an SVS as well. The wider range you can listen to, the more likely you'll be satisfied in your decision on which one to keep.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I have considered the SVS but the wife ruled out the cylinder ("ugly!"). Read some reviews and it seems the HSU was better than the SVS PB12-ISD. The other SVS are outside the budget. Not real keen on ordering something and comparing the PW and then having to pay to reship if I like the PW--I'd rather take that money and put it toward other things.

What I am hoping for are some people who have heard both and can give me their impressions since I can't find any real comparisons of the PW and the HSU.

In fact, if I can't get the dealer to give me a price for the PW including tax that at least matches the HSU's after shipping (whether its more off the sub or off the package--I don't care), I'll just get the HSU unless I get lots of responses that the PW is better. Alternatively, if everyone is pro HSU, I may not even bother trying to negotiate.

Thanks again!
Old 11-18-2004, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I know.. it's just that I see SVS owners swoop in all the time with their sales pitch. It's starting to irk me.
I certainly can understand that annoyance. :(
However its not everyone who owns an Svs, it's just a handful of their more ardent followers who love ramming the sales pitch down everyones throat at every moment. (even if your not asking)

As far as the Paradigm vs Hsu, (B&M vs Direct) it makes some sense to order the Hsu and while your in the trial period - line up a Paradigm to loan and directly compare. Listening for yourself you will get to hear that these two subs are totally different sounding, and only you can be 100% sure of your choice.

At least by getting 30 days to play, your not second guessing. At worse your out a little freight, at best you save a purchase mistake and satisfy your audio curiosity.

Ddavidson
Old 11-18-2004, 02:15 PM

riley

I agree with you, the cylinders are just plain ugly. I guess some of us don't mind the trade off of form vs. function.

Also, not sure what finish you are going to get for your speakers. I have pretty much the same setup you have in Light Cherry color and the PW in the same color is beautiful. I think however, that HSU will probably give you more bang for your buck than the PW-2200 does.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jephdood
Yeah, I know.. it's just that I see SVS owners swoop in all the time with their sales pitch. It's starting to irk me. I guess that wasn't your intention.

Well heck.. if you can afford the return shipping, Riley, go ahead and order an SVS as well. The wider range you can listen to, the more likely you'll be satisfied in your decision on which one to keep.

SVS paid for my return shipping on my PC+ 20-39.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Any other thoughts? I am going to the store today.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:02 AM

how bout the hsu vtf mk2

www.hi-fidelity.com

Audiophile Net: $xxx.xx
• 10†/ 250 watt powered sub

• Bass extension 25 Hz +/-2db

• 110db max. output

• Variable crossover control

• Volume control

• 19.5†x 14†x 18â€

• Matte Black only.

• Shipping wt. 57 lb.

• VTF dual –port tuning system
for max. output or extension.
(VTF = Variable Tuning Frequency)
Old 12-03-2004, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I priced both of these and went with the PW 2200, in part because they are cheaper in Canada and HSU doesn't ship cheaply up here when I checked. Both are nice subs so you are not going to be disappointed regardless. I'm very happy with my PW2200 although I doubt my neighbours would share that sentiment...

Healthy skepticism is the best component for your HT
Old 12-04-2004, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by outlier2
I priced both of these and went with the PW 2200, in part because they are cheaper in Canada and HSU doesn't ship cheaply up here when I checked. Both are nice subs so you are not going to be disappointed regardless. I'm very happy with my PW2200 although I doubt my neighbours would share that sentiment...
Hsu has had a Canadian distributor for about 6 months now.

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined. ~ Henry David Thoreau
Old 12-04-2004, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That happened subsequent to when I was shopping for them. It is good to hear the HSU has come north. With the dollar exchange now being reasonable, the HSU will be more competitively priced than previously too! I still would not shy away from Paradigm. They have some great subs and their value for performance is among the best in the industry.

Healthy skepticism is the best component for your HT
Old 12-05-2004, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 43
HSU has the VTF-3 MK II in genuine Rosewood for $699 right now. You just can't find a sub this good in real rosewood for $699 anywhere else.

Artie
Old 12-05-2004, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
unless you're going to get a steep discount on the Paradigm with the rest of your speakers the Hsu seems to be a much better deal.