SVS PB12 - Plus vs Velodyne SPL-1200 II - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 83 Old 11-21-2004, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need a wood-finished sub for WAF. Have 2000 cu-ft room. Almost all usage will be movie viewing vs very little music listening. These 2 subs have entirely different design approaches, but both seem to be well regarded. SVS is much larger, ported, less amp power. Velodyne is super small, closed box, but with very high amp power.

Which sub has higher output at driver bottoming level (regardless of distortion)? In other words, most woofage for movie low freq effects. Which sub has lower bass extension? I suspect I'll get a lot of SVS recommendations - any Velodyne fans out there? Any other wood-finished subs below $1200 I should consider?

Max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 Old 11-21-2004, 01:16 PM
DMF
AVS Special Member

"most woofage"? You been reading some of the other threads here? ;)

No matter where you go. ... There you are.
post #3 of 83 Old 11-21-2004, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mgamon
SVS is much larger, ported, less amp power. Velodyne is super small, closed box, but with very high amp power.
Max
IMO, based on those descriptions, the SVS is the better sub. By having a larger box, the sub requires less power to drive to the same volume. And the SVS is ported, so it has a volume advantage there too. The SVS WILL be the louder subwoofer. SVS has great extension and will almost certainly be the best choice for your HT. I have not heard the Velodyne, but again, based on those descriptions I would purchase the SVS. (Which I did, I have the PB12 in my HT.)
post #4 of 83 Old 11-21-2004, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

DMF -

Yes, woofage was coined by someone else in an earlier thread. Seems very descriptive.

Tarron_D

Your answer is about what I expected to hear. Are you using the PB12 as a table, or is it by itself? Where is it located in your room?

Still waiting for any Velodyne proponents, or other options.

Max
post #5 of 83 Old 11-21-2004, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
If you don't need the sub to be small, then don't look for a small sub...the high power of the Velo amplifier is to overcome small box size...if your into Ht and don't care as much about musicallity then go SVS.

Seeking a speaker recomendation? Compare for yourself or be swayed by others who hear differantly, or by marketing, or just save time and get the cheapest , nicest looking, or smallest.
post #6 of 83 Old 11-21-2004, 04:52 PM

I have it about 4 feet from the front right corner, against the right wall. It sounds great there.
post #7 of 83 Old 11-21-2004, 08:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have both the SVS and a Velo, while both are great, I would suggest going with the SVS.

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here ---> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=60 good times! www.illinoiscarry.org www.nra.org
post #8 of 83 Old 11-21-2004, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys - I hear ya.

Max
post #9 of 83 Old 11-21-2004, 09:57 PM
DMF
AVS Special Member

Gosh help me, I'm starting to appreciate NightRain. Is SVS the *only* solution to every application?

post #10 of 83 Old 11-22-2004, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
if your into Ht and don't care as much about musicallity then go SVS.
What's this "musicality" that the SVS lacks?

Quote:
Is SVS the *only* solution to every application?
Probably not. Informed, experienced, well-founded disagreements are as enjoyable as they are rare. The case for the Velodyne awaits a spokesperson...

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

post #11 of 83 Old 11-22-2004, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
There are several subs that would fit the bill but I can't think of any under $1200 other than the PB12, anyone else?
post #12 of 83 Old 11-22-2004, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

HSU VTF3 would...do they still have the wood finish version avail?

One thing is troubling about your request....that you are consideing both :) If you have room and don't mind having a larger sub, there isn't much need for the SPL1000. It is a great sub for the small size it requires but you might as well get something that isn't forced to duke it out with physics!!

Paul Taatjes
post #13 of 83 Old 11-22-2004, 08:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally posted by capecodorthopod
There are several subs that would fit the bill but I can't think of any under $1200 other than the PB12, anyone else?
Sure...the Hsu VTF-3RMK2. Rosewood finish, flat to 18hz. There is suppose to be a maple finish available soon as well.
http://www.hsustore.com/vtf3.html

The ACI Titan is also a viable option:
http://audioc.com/speakers1/titan/titan.htm

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #14 of 83 Old 11-22-2004, 09:17 AM
DMF
AVS Special Member

Or two $600 subs. There are several arguments for preferring two subs over one.

post #15 of 83 Old 11-22-2004, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

ptaaty -

The SVS would be a bit of a squeeze - would probably have to use it as an end table. The Velodyne is small enough to fit into a corner. But yeah, I will probably go for the larger size & make it fit.

cschang -

Hmm - a couple more options. Like the look & price of the Hsu especially. Thanks.

Max
post #16 of 83 Old 11-22-2004, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

mgamon....you are in Northridge, and Hsu is in Anaheim....you can make an appointment and see/listen to all they have.

On the ACI...you have plenty of finish options.

-curtis

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #17 of 83 Old 11-23-2004, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

well some of your decision should be made based on available location and how well that spot performs for you.

what if the only place the SVS fits has a horrible response curve in your room? but the velo can be placed in an optimal spot.....it doesn't matter if the svs is the best sub in the world then does it :)

when forced with less than optimal placement options, I try to aim for as flat as possible with only one large peak or a coupe peaks...then use a param eq to remove it.

Paul Taatjes
post #18 of 83 Old 11-23-2004, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

The PB12-plus/2 doesn't come in wood finish, only black. The PB12-ultra/2 comes in wood, for $2399.

Performance-wise, 2 of the velo 1200's wouldn't match the PB12-plus/2. If you need wood finish get the HSU vtf-3 for $899. It won't even come close to the PB12-plus/2 but it will look nice and be easy to move around and position.
post #19 of 83 Old 11-23-2004, 12:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jesse S
It won't even come close to the PB12-plus/2......
In terms of shear output, that is correct, but in terms of sound quality, that is a different ball game. Performance isn't all about output.

His room is small enough that the VTF-3 will have PLENTY of headroom.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #20 of 83 Old 11-23-2004, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I am getting ready at this very minute to call SVS and order the PB12 Ultra/2. I was going to get the PB12 Plus/2 but I just received a $4,000 check that I have been waiting for about 6 months, so I have received permission from the Wife Factor, my most Significant Other, it's like getting a blessing from the Pope, to buy the Ultra/2. I can't wait to get it. I toyed around with getting the B12-Plus/4 but I think it would be overkill. So I have an 18 X 16 foot room opening to a kitchen which is a little larger than my Den so I think the Ultra/2 should suffice. It also has PEQ which helps to make adjustments for room acoustics deficiencies. So Max go for the Plus/2. From what I hear you will love it. I have had several people PM me about their Plus/2 and Ultra/2 and they have all been very positive in their experiences with those 2 subs and the people at SVS. Good Luck.
post #21 of 83 Old 11-23-2004, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cschang
In terms of shear output, that is correct, but in terms of sound quality, that is a different ball game. Performance isn't all about output.

His room is small enough that the VTF-3 will have PLENTY of headroom.
Maybe in your opinion. Edward J M on HTF preferred the PB2+ to dual VTF-3's. Personally I call 1 vtf-3 not even close to "plenty of headroom". I have a 20-39cs and a 16-46cs+ in a 10x12x8 room and I can still bring them to their knees on some material. Output (for HT) is half of performance. If a sub can't put out the SPL's from 15-25hz then who cares how good the sound quality is?

Plasmaniac-

Good choice in my opinion. The B4 has a big edge in SPL but the Ultra drivers sound significantly better than the ISD and Plus drivers. I've heard all 3 in several setups and the Ultras are much better. In the 20hz tune you will be hitting some intense SPL's at low distortion (think 115db+ @20hz at your seat). You will love it for music too, great pitch definition and extension.
post #22 of 83 Old 11-23-2004, 10:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Maybe in your opinion. Edward J M on HTF preferred the PB2+ to dual VTF-3's. Personally I call 1 vtf-3 not even close to "plenty of headroom". I have a 20-39cs and a 16-46cs+ in a 10x12x8 room and I can still bring them to their knees on some material. Output (for HT) is half of performance. If a sub can't put out the SPL's from 15-25hz then who cares how good the sound quality is?
Edward never tested VTF-3's as far as I know. I know Craig did...but he also got rid of his PB2+ in favor of somethingelse.

I have a VTF-3 in a 14x18x9 room...and can't come close to killing it. I have also directly compared it to a 20-39PC+ and PB12+.....can't kill those in my room either. Maybe there is an issue with your cs and cs+.

If a sub doesn't have good sound quality, who cares how low it can go?

Yes...we have different opinions, I will take sound quality over SPL.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #23 of 83 Old 11-24-2004, 03:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If a sub doesn't have good sound quality, who cares how low it can go?
Well, they go together so we can do the tit for tat all day.

Quote:
I have a VTF-3 in a 14x18x9 room...and can't come close to killing it. I have also directly compared it to a 20-39PC+ and PB12+.....can't kill those in my room either. Maybe there is an issue with your cs and cs+.
What is your definition of headroom? A vtf-3 can do about 105db @20hz. That's 0 headroom even if you always listen at -10 of reference.

My definition of "plenty of headroom" is a sub that can do 120db at 20hz. That way when it hits 115db the distortion is nice and low, not tainted with harmonics. The only problem here is your concept of what is plenty.

As far as sound quality goes, anyone with good hearing (and sense), will agree that the similarly priced SVS and HSU subs sound more alike than different.

Each has certain advantages that will appeal to each buyer. Anyone that says one is much better than the other isn't worth listening to.
post #24 of 83 Old 11-24-2004, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I just ordered the PB12 Ultra/2 and it should be here by Monday. I will set it up on the Auralex SubDude which really helped reduce vibrations with my RSW-15 so we will see what effects it will have on the Ultra. I will have to spend a couple of days calibrating it but I can't wait to play with the PEQ. Has anybody used the PEQ to help calibrate their sub? I guess you can set it to make up for room deficiencies at various Hz levels according to the downloaded manual from SVS. I need to buy some DVDs to test it with. They have a ton of them that they recommend.
post #25 of 83 Old 11-24-2004, 08:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
What is your definition of headroom? A vtf-3 can do about 105db @20hz. That's 0 headroom even if you always listen at -10 of reference.

My definition of "plenty of headroom" is a sub that can do 120db at 20hz. That way when it hits 115db the distortion is nice and low, not tainted with harmonics. The only problem here is your concept of what is plenty.
OK...that's fair Jesse. So, in your eyes, a sub that can not do 120dB at 20hz is not good enough? The reason I ask is because according to Edward's test, the PB2-Ultra can't even do it.

Quote:
Each has certain advantages that will appeal to each buyer. Anyone that says one is much better than the other isn't worth listening to.
I am in total agreement with that.....but isn't that what you were saying?

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #26 of 83 Old 11-24-2004, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Edward J M measured 20 Hz: 102.8 dB (9.4% THD amp limited) 2m distance groundplane. Inside that's going to increase about 13-18db with boundary and room gain. I would call 116-120 sufficient "headroom" for most.

1 vtf-3 does ~105db @20hz. "Headroom" is having a 6'6 person in a car without touching the roof. 105db is a car that's only high enough for a 5'6 person :)

I never said SVS was much better than HSU. Nightrain is the one bandying that nonsense about. I also think SVS and HSU are both superior to Paradigm and that burns him up to no end :D
post #27 of 83 Old 11-24-2004, 04:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Forget these wimpy internet subs..go for the He-Man Velodyne:D !!

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #28 of 83 Old 11-24-2004, 05:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Edward J M measured 20 Hz: 102.8 dB (9.4% THD amp limited) 2m distance groundplane. Inside that's going to increase about 13-18db with boundary and room gain. I would call 116-120 sufficient "headroom" for most.

1 vtf-3 does ~105db @20hz. "Headroom" is having a 6'6 person in a car without touching the roof. 105db is a car that's only high enough for a 5'6 person :)

I never said SVS was much better than HSU. Nightrain is the one bandying that nonsense about. I also think SVS and HSU are both superior to Paradigm and that burns him up to no end :D
I see Jesse....but I can't find that number from Edward, and where are you getting that number for the Hsu? Is the Hsu number in room?

Same question as before....if it can not hit 115dB at 20hz in room...it is not good enough for you or most people?

Your post earlier said "it won't even come close". Doesn't imply the opposite of what Nightrain states, and that one is "much better" than the other?

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #29 of 83 Old 11-24-2004, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by plasmamaniac
Well, I just ordered the PB12 Ultra/2 and it should be here by Monday. I will set it up on the Auralex SubDude which really helped reduce vibrations with my RSW-15 so we will see what effects it will have on the Ultra. I will have to spend a couple of days calibrating it but I can't wait to play with the PEQ. Has anybody used the PEQ to help calibrate their sub? I guess you can set it to make up for room deficiencies at various Hz levels according to the downloaded manual from SVS. I need to buy some DVDs to test it with. They have a ton of them that they recommend.
It could arrive sooner than you think.:)

I ordered on Sunday and BAX attempted delivery tonight. I didn't hear the doorbell because the AVM-30 I ordered three weeks ago was delivered today. How was I supposed to keep the volume low on the first night???

I'm out of luck until Friday.
post #30 of 83 Old 11-24-2004, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebland
Forget these wimpy internet subs..go for the He-Man Velodyne:D !!
Wimpy internet subs huh? Here's a quote from you which says something different.:)

Quote:
Originally posted by thebland
I wrote to SVS, read the threads about that sub, the Velodyne, Mirage, etc. and other heavy duty subs.

Then,I found out about a sub from Servo-drive that was recommended by Chris Collins (MYSPHYT) here on the forum. The ContrBass.

All of the above are nice subs, but I wanted something to really kick out the low, low frequencies.
All of the above are nice subs huh????? :D :D

Just messing with you...
Closed Thread Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page