Boomy and Rattling - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-23-2004, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think that is how I would describe my subwoofer. It is a 12" downfiring Boston Acoustics PV-700 that I got before I got really into home theater (the 5 BA channels that I had running with it have been traded in for Martin Logans).

I guess there are a bunch of factors to consider on why it is like that? Is the quality of the subwoofer an issue or do those symptoms come more from location and room acoustics (it's a 15x16x8 room, cement walls, openings for a kitchen and into the foyer)??

Edit: More information. This is for a home theater, and here are some specs on it:

Freq Repsonse (+/- 3dB) 29Hz - 150Hz
Amplifier Power: 200W
Crossover: 50Hz - 150Hz @ 24dB/octave (What does the dB represent?)
SpeakerLevel Inputs: Yes
Bass unit: 12" DCD
Enclosure: Vented w/ down-firing woofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-23-2004, 01:49 PM

Liked: 10
24db means the slope of the crossover, this one in particualar rolls off the sound ata rate of 24 db per octave. HAve you tried another placement, it seems that the cabinet being used as a center channel stands could be full of rattle. I would suggest a new subwoofer to go with the new speakers, you have a lot of space there to fill. The boominess could also be a placement and setup issue.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-24-2004, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Do you really think that the subwoofer isn't powerful enough to fill the room? I mean, the subwoofer seems loud enough, and you can feel it in the chairs (not in your 'heart' though) ... but again it is boomy. I will look into a new placement but there aren't many that will work, which is why that is there.

Re: entertainment center - i've been considering swapping it out for a custom stand for the center (or maybe mounting the center over the screen)
post #4 of 8 Old 11-24-2004, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

I just bought an Auralex SubDude to put under my SVS PB12 Ultra/2 to cushion it and to eliminate vibrations. Do a search for Subdude here in this forum and you will see how I and others bought this and have experienced great results from it. I have it now under my Klipsch RSW-15. Go to the Auralex website and look at it. It is like industrial grade foam padding under a carpeted platform that the sub sits on. All I know is that it works and reduced my vibrations and it seems to make the sub tighter and much less boomy or a muddy sound. They are $50 apiece. I bought 2 and placed them side by side as my sub is large and my new SVS PB12 Ultra/2 will be large and heavy (190 pounds). Check it out.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-24-2004, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I added one of these (SubDude) to my HT the other day and will echo the similar fatastic results I gained to the overall sound and the drastic reduction in rattles and boominess.

Sweetwater.com is where I got mine

:)
post #6 of 8 Old 11-24-2004, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll second the Auralex SubDude. My sub sounds substantially better. Best $50 I've spent in a long time!

Gig103...the SubDude may help, but I really think you need a better sub to match with the ML's.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-29-2004, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

What about bass traps? I don't know much about this acoustic stuff yet, but if it helps my room is 15x16, chair backs at about 11ft from the screen. Ceiling I would say is about 10ft (it's an apartment). Oh, and there is an opening at the front right, and rear right (entrance and kitchen).
post #8 of 8 Old 11-29-2004, 04:57 PM
DMF
AVS Special Member

Before you start talking about bass traps you have to know what the acoustic properties of the room are. Why not hop on over to Audio Theory and check some of the older threads on how to measure this (you need a PC, microphone and preamp (RS SPL meter works for this) with tripod, a duplex (record and playback) sound card, measurement software, and some cables).

Rattles you can eliminate by playing the sub, finding, and eliminating them. You can also get a general idea of your overall frequency response by playing the Avia (calibration DVD) sweep tones.

No matter where you go. ... There you are.
Closed Thread Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page