Tumult users ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 11-25-2004, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Just wondering how many have had the pleasure of using this world class driver ? How do you load it (sealed,PR,ported).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-25-2004, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Kg, I wish I could find a local demo of one!!When our house is ready and we plan our theater,i'm thinking a dual tumult based sonosub.Should be awesome!!

brickie

AM I THE ONLY OASIS IN THE DESERT OF STUPIDITY......" SIR BRICKENBOCKER"
post #3 of 14 Old 11-25-2004, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 606
We're just putting the finishing touches on a 2XTumult, sealed, EQ'd sub, powered by a 2,800 watt Class D/SMPS amp with on-board 2-way crossover, seperately selectable LP and HP slopes, polarity switch, 0-180 degree phase select in 15 degree increments, signal and clip indicator LEDs, gain control, adjustable 'Q', all user adjustments on the front panel and several other as-yet unmentionable features.

Prelim testing resulted in the urge to laugh out loud, made impossible by throat crushing output. :cool:

The Tumults have, in this config, more X-Max headroom than some sub drivers have at all, and are astoundingly clean.

There are several new generation drivers with flat Bl, high thermal capacity, extreme long throw, etc. technologies on the drawing boards of several manufacturers, but Tumult is a proven performer that's currently hard, if not impossible, to beat.

Just 1 man's opinion.
post #4 of 14 Old 11-25-2004, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I feel kind of bad giving them such a high rating because they are always back ordered. I guess they will be making them overseas. There is an explaination on the acoustic-visions website.
post #5 of 14 Old 11-25-2004, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 187
The Tumult is certainly what I would call the king of useful Xmax, but keep an eye out in the next couple months. Someone I knew long ago before I was with ServoDrive has liscenced the XBL^2 technology and developed drivers he will be selling to DIYers and the Car audio world. The drivers have some pretty interesting parameters. For those willing to use a big box, they look to require a good deal less power to make use of their capability which is probably closer to a Brahma with parameters suited for very low frequency use. There was some talk/teasers on HTGuide Forum as well as at the Madisound Forum. Pricing looks quite attractive as well.

Fun stuff.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #6 of 14 Old 11-25-2004, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There's no staying on top of the mountain for too long. I have had some great results from this great driver. What I found interesting was this.My first thought of using four would be to stack them in one corner. Once i finished the cabinet design, seven hundred pounds in one corner didn't thrill me anymore. So putting two drivers in one corner gave me a 6db rise,but putting the other two in the other front corner seemed to increase output and smooth things out a bit.To my suprise (and lack of acoustic knowledge) there was no increased output but a real fill in of the bass throughout the room. Would this be true acoustically? It was a total overkill design for my smallish room because I was tired of upgrading subs every two years, or every time a new movie challenged to system.
post #7 of 14 Old 11-26-2004, 07:19 AM

Liked: 10
I use one in a ported enclosure tuned to 15 Hz, and subsonic filter on amp @5 Hz. The thing I did notice was the change in the subs sonic signature by lowering the subsonic filter. In my system it became much smoother in room especially across the bottom of the music frequencies. I have never heard one in either sealed or PR so can’t comment on them, works very well ported, providing you like large enclosures.

"I may not always be RIGHT, but I'm never WRONG"
post #8 of 14 Old 11-26-2004, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I love em..I assume my dual Tumult sonosub will be probably taller and larger than me!!!!!I love it when it's in your face!!!

brickie

post #9 of 14 Old 11-27-2004, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bossobass
We're just putting the finishing touches on a 2XTumult, sealed, EQ'd sub, powered by a 2,800 watt Class D/SMPS amp with on-board 2-way crossover, seperately selectable LP and HP slopes, polarity switch, 0-180 degree phase select in 15 degree increments, signal and clip indicator LEDs, gain control, adjustable 'Q', all user adjustments on the front panel and several other as-yet unmentionable features.
... thats my definition for "Monster" :D

Sony CDP C315 (1 bit Pulse DAC), Margules ACRH-1 Hybrid Integrated Amplifier, Margules ADE-24 (Black Box), Margules QR1 (Line Conditioner), Klipsch Heresy Speakers (the closest thing to a "horn bookshelf" you can find), Tempest DIY Subwoofer
post #10 of 14 Old 11-27-2004, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mark

Interesting news... could it be a replacement for a Tempest? (big sonotube, just 250watts to feed it)?

Sony CDP C315 (1 bit Pulse DAC), Margules ACRH-1 Hybrid Integrated Amplifier, Margules ADE-24 (Black Box), Margules QR1 (Line Conditioner), Klipsch Heresy Speakers (the closest thing to a "horn bookshelf" you can find), Tempest DIY Subwoofer
post #11 of 14 Old 11-27-2004, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 187
There are two 15" drivers which are supposed to be offered. Both are XBL^2 designs. One with 18mm of Xmax and the other 28mm. It does appear the parameters will be in the ballpark of the Tempest with some interesting options of multiple voice coils to suit the need. Hopefully we'll see more details in a few weeks.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #12 of 14 Old 11-27-2004, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm, 2 of those 28mm in a ported sonosub would probably rule..Can't wait for annoucement.Not ready to build yet, but this could speed it up.

brickie

post #13 of 14 Old 11-29-2004, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kgveteran
There's no staying on top of the mountain for too long. I have had some great results from this great driver. What I found interesting was this.My first thought of using four would be to stack them in one corner. Once i finished the cabinet design, seven hundred pounds in one corner didn't thrill me anymore. So putting two drivers in one corner gave me a 6db rise,but putting the other two in the other front corner seemed to increase output and smooth things out a bit.To my suprise (and lack of acoustic knowledge) there was no increased output but a real fill in of the bass throughout the room. Would this be true acoustically? It was a total overkill design for my smallish room because I was tired of upgrading subs every two years, or every time a new movie challenged to system.
This sounds like a nice setup. Do you have any more information or pics to share? Or are you just in the design phase now?
post #14 of 14 Old 11-29-2004, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As we speak the one cabinet is done.It is 36h x19w x28d . It is two inch thick MDF all sides and with drivers installed weighs just about 350 lbs. The other two are still in separate cabinets and I'm trying to get my cabinet maker to do another one and then I can sell the two separate cabinets and I will be done (for now). They allow me to finally listen and watch a movie without having the remote ready to lower because of sub-inability.I'm quite happy with them.
Closed Thread Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page