Help w/subwoofer placement? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-26-2004, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all
I recently purchased my first dream plasma and am in the process of setting up my home theater.

Bought the Integra 5.5 receiver, will be buying the DefTech Mythos mains and surround. But before I lay down $$, I want to make sure my plan is OK as far as placement of a subwoofer. (looking at Velodyne DPS4000).

Please see the photos at the link below:
http://www.pearsonweb.net/sub/

Here is the main area on the fireplace hearth where I envision putting my sub. WAF says it pretty much needs to go in the far corner next to the plant. I will have to install an outlet there for power and I can run the subwoofer line from to the receiver under the basement.

http://www.pearsonweb.net/sub/02_nosub.jpg

My question is, its too deep size wise to fit in the traditional manner having the front firing woofer facing the plant (it would hang over the edge of the brick hearth) What if I position it having the sub front face the TV? Is this OK? Will I still get the benefit of the unit with this placement?

Here (please pardon my photoshop hack skills; I can't quite get the photo to match perspective of the sub) is a fantasy pic of how it might look except its facing the wrong way (that is , its facing the way it won't fit) as I think it will have to face toward the TV/fireplace.

http://www.pearsonweb.net/sub/01_wsub.jpg

Specific questions:
1. Is it OK to put the sub on the hearth raising it off the floor like this? Will not having it on the floor detract from or affect the tones?

2. What about the direction of the firing woofer toward the TV/fireplace? Will I lose any benefits of the sound with this placement?

3. What about having it on a brick surface in a corner with another brick surface? Will this possibly lessen or heighten the effect?

I appreciate any help with this question.
EP

I'm considering the Velodyne DPS4000 and its almost 20" deep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-26-2004, 02:04 PM

That Sub looks like the DLS 4000R...not the DPS......I just bought the DLS-5000R but should have it in 2 weeks.....god luck
post #3 of 7 Old 11-26-2004, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

You are correct; it is hte DLS 4000r; I got my names mixed up. Plus I didn't even know there was such as things as a DPS.

Regardless, can anyone help with my questions re: placement on a brick hearth? Is this a bad idea?
Thanks
EP
post #4 of 7 Old 11-26-2004, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Most likely, it will rattle on the uneven brick surface. Don't forget to account for cables/etc in the depth calculation. My advice is not to do it. Put it behind the couch or something.

I feel sorry for you guys that let the wife rule the roost....it's your house too.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-26-2004, 03:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
To keep it from resonating on the bricks I would cut a piece of dense black rubber foam the size of the subs footprint and place it under the sub.
Plasma looks great.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-26-2004, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Gouger
To keep it from resonating on the bricks I would cut a piece of dense black rubber foam the size of the subs footprint and place it under the sub.
Plasma looks great.

Naw, just put four of those small rubber stick-on's on the bottom of the sub.

You can face the speaker any way that "works". My subwoofer fires across the room at a right angle to the front wall, but I have my subwoofer four feet out from the corner. The theory is deep bass is non directional, so no need to over worry about speaker direction.

I have my doubts about corner placement of subwoofers, but you have to try it to be sure one way or the other!

Bass is hard to get right. It is sort of an art. It is all room as well as speaker placement / setting dependent!

--Bill
post #7 of 7 Old 11-29-2004, 07:16 AM

Here are the answers:
1. Is it OK to put the sub on the hearth raising it off the floor like this? Will not having it on the floor detract from or affect the tones?
Generally hard surfaces do not flex with bass frequencies, so you will have more low frequency energy in your room. Corner placement normally may give rise to more prominent resonances. This could be an advantage (boundary gain, and minimal phase (timing) errors) if you are going to use any kind of equalization, otherwise you will hear boom at certain frequencies.

Generally, for a tactile experience (if you like the feel of Low Frequency rumble through your body) keeping the sub on the wooden floor may be beneficial. But you should experiment and adopt the placement based on your personal preference. Since the brick surface is ridgid the low frequency shake will not transmit to the floor so you will just hear a lot of bass and not feel as much, whereas by keeping on the wooden floor it could be vice versa.

2. What about the direction of the firing woofer toward the TV/fireplace? Will I lose any benefits of the sound with this placement?
One can only judge that by plotting a low frequency response of the sub in each position and choosing the one with the flattest response. You would need a Radio Shack SPL meter, a bass tones CD, and logarithmic graph chart. many posts on this forum highlight the way to measure the response of subwoofers.

3. What about having it on a brick surface in a corner with another brick surface? Will this possibly lessen or heighten the effect?

It will increase the Bass energy in the room (good for movies, not as good for music), consequently lengthening the time low frequency waves will remain audible in the room.

I appreciate any help with this question.
EP

I'm considering the Velodyne DPS4000 and its almost 20" deep.
Closed Thread Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page