Upgrading from BOSE. What first. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 11-26-2004, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Purchased a BOSE system many years ago and believe it's time to upgrade the whole thing. I currently just purchased a Sammy 5674 DLP and my audio system just doesn't seem to be doing it justice. What should the order be in replacing my BOSE speakers. For example, sub first, then fronts, then center, then rears? MY receiver is a Yamaha RX-V496 purchased a little over 3 years ago. Should I replace the receiver too? Most of my posts have been in the HD and DLP area and have had a great learning experience there. I look forward to hearing your advice and responses. Thanks in advance. Price range is probably about 2000-2500 dollars.

Dale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-26-2004, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'd say go for mains and center first, then when more funds are available get the surrounds, then a sub, then think about a new receiver.

Mark

post #3 of 17 Old 11-26-2004, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by 11427
I'd say go for mains and center first, then when more funds are available get the surrounds, then a sub, then think about a new receiver.
Sounds good. Any recommendations on current speaker models that a lot of people tend to like?

Dale
post #4 of 17 Old 11-26-2004, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

That everyone likes,.... Paradigm, Axiom, Klipsch, Polk, Onix, Def Tech, Infinity, JBL, Monitor Audio ,B&W, Athena, etc. etc. Better yet don't worry about what the majority like, find speakers that you like,.... "my" short list
RBH
Opera
Totem
Canton
JM Lab
Vandersteen
Revel
Triad
M&K
Aerial
and a bunch of others you've probably never heard of,.... then again, to your ears Bose may be the way to go. Your best bet is to listen to as many different speakers as you can,.... one or two will jump out at you.

Mark

post #5 of 17 Old 11-26-2004, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That everyone likes,.... Paradigm, Axiom, Klipsch, Polk, Onix, Def Tech, Infinity, JBL, Monitor Audio ,B&W, Athena, etc. etc. Better yet don't worry about what the majority like, find speakers that you like,.... "my" short list
RBH
Opera
Totem
Canton
JM Lab
Vandersteen
Revel
Triad
M&K
Aerial
and a bunch of others you've probably never heard of,.... then again, to your ears Bose may be the way to go. Your best bet is to listen to as many different speakers as you can,.... one or two will jump out at you.
That a long list. :) I don't have much for audio stores around here excetp BB and CC. I'll try those out first, but I'm sure they don't carry a lot of brands. Thanks for the help. I'll focus on mains first and just go listen to those, I Think if I try to listen to whole setups, it might be more confusing.

Dale
post #6 of 17 Old 11-26-2004, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree with fronts and center first; but I think I would do the sub next and surrounds last. If all you've got is BB and CC, you don't have much to choose from. Possibilities might be JBL, Klipsch, Athena, Polk, and Infinity. If you have no access to a better audio retailer who carries higher end stuff (mid-priced; like Paradigm, PSB, Dynaudio, Phase Technology, as examples) you might consider net-direct co's such as Rocket, Swan (theaudioinsider.com), Ascend, and Axiom. All of these have their own message boards, and you can learn a lot by reading them, as well as doing searches here.

The short list above looks good to me, too, but I think most are out of your target price range.

Hal
post #7 of 17 Old 11-27-2004, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dkyork
That a long list. :) I don't have much for audio stores around here excetp BB and CC.

Dale
You'd be surprised how many audio shops are "hidden" in your neighborhood; the yellow pages are no help either. What you might want to do is visit a site, such as Marantz or Denon (picked because they have dealer listings), dubah dubah dubah.usa.denon dot com/dealers/dealers.asp?l=1, and do a dealer search of your area. For the budget you've set aside, the trip may be worth it, even if it's a few hours drive.
post #8 of 17 Old 11-28-2004, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Enigma
I agree with fronts and center first; but I think I would do the sub next and surrounds last. If all you've got is BB and CC, you don't have much to choose from. Possibilities might be JBL, Klipsch, Athena, Polk, and Infinity. If you have no access to a better audio retailer who carries higher end stuff (mid-priced; like Paradigm, PSB, Dynaudio, Phase Technology, as examples) you might consider net-direct co's such as Rocket, Swan (theaudioinsider.com), Ascend, and Axiom. All of these have their own message boards, and you can learn a lot by reading them, as well as doing searches here.

The short list above looks good to me, too, but I think most are out of your target price range.
I've decided on the Paradigm studio 40s and the cc470 to get me started. I've read nothing but good reviews on these speakers and the light wood matches the furniture perfect. Now I just need to find a place to buy them for a good price. Any reputable places online?

Dale
post #9 of 17 Old 11-28-2004, 11:43 AM
DMF
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
First determine whether there's a Paradigm dealer near you.

As much as I favor internet sales, I favor maintaining brick and mortar stores as a resource that, once gone, would be sorely missed.

No matter where you go. ... There you are.
post #10 of 17 Old 11-28-2004, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by DMF
First determine whether there's a Paradigm dealer near you.

As much as I favor internet sales, I favor maintaining brick and mortar stores as a resource that, once gone, would be sorely missed.
I went to one today to listen to them. They won't wiggle off that retail much. Cheapest I think I can get them down is 1100 a pair. I think I can get it online much cheaper. So as much as I like to supporting my local B&Ms, they need to adapt to the internet competition because I don't like just throwing away money for any reason.

Dale
post #11 of 17 Old 11-28-2004, 03:10 PM
DMF
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
They can't adapt. They have an overhead that the 'net dealers don't. That overhead is what lets you listen.

You want the B&M, you have to pay the premium. No way around it.

Btw, include shipping when you compare the pricing. Do not include sales tax because that's a legislated distortion of the market, and possibly short-term. Also check Paradigm's warranty policy. Some manufacturers won't honor the warranty on a grey-market purchase.

No matter where you go. ... There you are.
post #12 of 17 Old 11-28-2004, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Why in this world would you decide to not go with Bose again?

A veteran is someone who, wrote a blank check Made Payable to 'The USA, ' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'
post #13 of 17 Old 11-28-2004, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, so here's what we're looking at:

Paradigm Studio 40s
Paradigm CC470
Keeping the Bose in the rears for now until I can get more money!!
HSU STF2 or HSU STF3

Now the question is what receiver I should get. Denon 2805 or 3805? Would the 2805 be fine?

thanks,

Dale
post #14 of 17 Old 11-29-2004, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Ooooh,... the 3805 of course ;-),..... the 2805 would do you fine too. Compare them both and see which features you like better. I went 3805 because I got it for less than the 2805 MSRP, the little plastic cover on fron of the 2805 bugged me, and I thought the Denon link might actually be worthwhile,... (jury is still out on that one) only real downside is the 3805 remote,.... but maybe it's just that "I" don't like it.

Mark

post #15 of 17 Old 11-30-2004, 04:18 PM

Quote:
... I went 3805 because I got it for less than the 2805 MSRP....
Can you divulge your source for the 3805? You can PM me if you don't want to make it public....
Thanks,

Wes
post #16 of 17 Old 11-30-2004, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dkyork
Keeping the Bose in the rears for now until I can get more money!!
I'd say your rear is a good place for those ... :D

How does the Yammy sound with the new speakers? If it's good, go with surrounds and sub and worry about the receiver later. The sub is self powered, so as long as the receiver can drive the mains, you should be good for a while.

Speaking of subs, I have the Outlaw LFM-1 which is a "clone" of the Hsu STF-3 (although there are some slight differences). It's a nice sub that fills my room well. If you can afford the room it consumes it's a good one (my wife freaked out when she saw it, she thought it was going to be like a 10-inch cube, but she has gotten over it by now). Having more sub than you need is never a bad thing.
post #17 of 17 Old 12-01-2004, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by M3 Pete
I'd say your rear is a good place for those ... :D

How does the Yammy sound with the new speakers? If it's good, go with surrounds and sub and worry about the receiver later. The sub is self powered, so as long as the receiver can drive the mains, you should be good for a while.

Speaking of subs, I have the Outlaw LFM-1 which is a "clone" of the Hsu STF-3 (although there are some slight differences). It's a nice sub that fills my room well. If you can afford the room it consumes it's a good one (my wife freaked out when she saw it, she thought it was going to be like a 10-inch cube, but she has gotten over it by now). Having more sub than you need is never a bad thing.
Lol Pete, I'm still convincing my woman to get the main towers because she likes little satellites. I still haven't bought the Paradigms yet, but look forward to it. I know with the Yammy, music is not that great or at least the speakers aren't. I can set my fronts to small, but at half volume my little bose cubes still distort. I'll see when I get the studio 40s or 60s. I might just get the 60s since they're only a little more considering you ahve to buy stands for the 40s. I'll have to check out that Outlaw sub, is it pretty highly regarded around here as a good sub with low lows? How much do those run now? thanks Pete

Dale
Closed Thread Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page