Will adding a second sub make much difference? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-28-2004, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 15' X20' room and a vaulted ceiling. I currently have a HSU sub. It is the 10 inch one(i dont remember the model) that cost more. My question is this, If I buy a second one will it be a noticeable difference in base quality? I don't need it any louder all I was wondering if it would be of better sounding at med volume. The second part of this is would I be better off buying the 12" HSU and using both due to it going lower in hz. I have looked around here a bunch and don't see anybody mis matching subs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-28-2004, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I recently added a second sub to my system. Although the improvement was not dramatic, it is a nice improvement that is clearly noticeable. My room is a very similar size to yours and also has a vaulted ceiling. I used matched subs, 15" Atlantic's.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-28-2004, 11:28 PM
Advanced Member

In my rectagular room 16'.5 x 22'.5 i have 4 subs one for every channel front, center,side and rears . The positioning is in each corner facing each other along the front wall and back . This provides smooth even bass response in all seating areas not just the sweet spot .

Part 3 Getting the Bass Right link for relevant info -

http://www.infinitysystems.com/homea...itepapers.aspx
post #4 of 6 Old 11-29-2004, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
You're looking at it properly Tox. A second sub can help smooth things out and help with room issues in some cases. It won't give you a lot of extra oomph. As for the mismatch, I don't think it would hurt anything to get the 12" if you want.

I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.
Bryan Pape - Lead Acoustician
GIK Acoustics

post #5 of 6 Old 11-29-2004, 06:58 AM

Toxictretr,

Some information about using multiple subs:
Generally, multiple subs do aid in smoother bass response, of course the important aspect of getting good bass is finding the best placement for the sub based on the listening location. Adding 1 or more subs could also aid in increase in total output by almost 3db (100% increase in spl) , which is sometimes very desirable for low frequency dynamics involved in Home theater soundtracks.

Now, if you are using equalization too get a flat response from your 1 sub then it is mostly tuned for a single listening location. Other listening location may not be able to enjoy the same flat response. Current research (by Floyd E.Toole at Harman International) demonstrates that by having 2 or 4 subs one could achieve flat response at all listening locations. However, if the user is only concerned about one listening location then 1 sub (with equalization) will do just as well.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-29-2004, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Dual subs is a minimum in a decent system. You do get more output at loud or soft levels, smooth bass response if placed asymetrically or stacked and even a better dynamic range. http://www.home-theater-acoustics.com/pages/1/index.htm

A veteran is someone who, wrote a blank check Made Payable to 'The USA, ' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'
Closed Thread Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page