Incorporating 2 subs (of different types) in a room. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-29-2004, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I was just flipping through the "What sub do you have" thread and I saw a post that sounded like an interesting setup.

Had some kind of small older sub that was wired somehow to help the front's and a different main sub.

How would one wire something like that up?

I've got JBL E80's up front and an old Sony HTIB jobber for my current setup. My 25-31pci should be on my front door step today when I get home.

I've got a Yammy RXV650 receiver.

So, how could I wire something up to give the E80's a little more depth at the higher end (<80hz where the current cross over is set) and still send all the lower goodness to my new SVS? Can I create some kind of blend with this? Meaning have the highs done by the correct speakers, the mids in the E80's do their thing with a little help from the Sony, then have the Sony and SVS doing the upper end of the base and let the SVS handle all the lower end stuff.

I'm guessing I need some kind of EQ?

I dunno - it was just a thought, and probably not to high up on the WAF scale either.

Can anyone educate me on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-29-2004, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Personally, I would wait until you get the SVS connected and calibrated. It is capable of producing a tremendous amout of bass. While it is possible to use multiple subwoofers of roughly equal capability in a room (I have 2 SVS), it takes time to set them up properly so that they are complimenting rather than competing with each other.

Trying to match subs of unequal capability is usually much more difficult. Before I bought the second SVS, I had a Velodyne CHT12 and an SVS PCi working together. By itself, the Velodyne is a great little sub. However, it had difficulty keeping up with the SVS.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-29-2004, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Ok, thanks for the advice.

I got the sub installed and I can now say that I no longer even need to waste any time thinking on whether or not I need 2 subs.

All I can say is the WOW factor on the smallest SVS is absolutely amazing!!

Big thumbs up to SVS.

I was worried that I had made the wrong decision in getting the "little" sub but this little dude performs like a dream. I ran the YPAO and at 2/3 gain it said the sub was too loud. I turned it down some but I didn't get a chance to re-run the YPAO.

So, even at it's partially calibrated levels (no DVE or Avia disc) this thing rocks my room. The Darla scene from Finding Nemo rattled the walls, couch and fireplace and I'm sure there's plenty more where that came from. I won't have time to fully calibrate for another week so I'm just going to enjoy it the way it is for now.

BTW - my room is an irregular shape @ 15' wide by 25' long with an opening to a foryer on one side, a kitchen (2 doors and a huge hole in the wall that looks into the kitchen) and a hallway into the master bedroom. 12' ceilings as well. So this is no small room and even at 1/2 gain and not even a normal listening volume, I can say the SVS way outperformed my expectations and absolutely and entirely blew away the old HTIB sub (8").

I can't wait to see some of my movies again at a higher volume when no-one's home! :D

Thanks all - I am now enlightened!
post #4 of 4 Old 11-30-2004, 03:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Glad things have worked out for you. Have fun re-watching movies and discovering bass you never knew was there!
Closed Thread Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page