parallel versus series wiring setup? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-30-2004, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone give me the basic low down on power distribution on hooking up 2 subs from a mono amp that is either in series or parallel?
I'm planning on my sub enclosure. The amps have 4 ohms and 8 ohm settings wtih different power. How do I know which one to use? The subs I look at some have 8 ohms or 2 ohms if you wire it using the dvc?
can anyone please give me the basic run down on this kind of stuffs and give some general examples?
It's been 15 years since i've done any of this
Much thanks!
Matthew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-30-2004, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just to get the ball rolling, if you wire multiple devices in series the load presented to the amp is additive ex, 2 8ohm speakers will be a 16ohm load to the amp. If wired in parallel 2 8ohm speakers will present a 4ohm load to the amp (remember speaker impedance varies over frequency but it is safe to use that 8 or 4 ohm number as an average).

You say the amp has 2 power settings or do you mean 2 power specs for 4 and 8 ohm's.
Give a little more specific info and I can help you more.
Makes model numbers etc.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-30-2004, 01:27 PM

You will want to match the subs/amp ohm ratings. If your amp will run at 4ohms, then use 4ohm speakers with it. You don't ever want to present a lower ohm load to the amp than it is capable of handling. If using a dvc sub, then you will need to use an 8ohm dvc sub wired parallel or a 2ohm dvc sub wired in series. Both of those options will present a 4ohm load to the amp. The options expand if your using 2 subs. For example, im going to try to build a sonosub using two 4ohm dvc subs and a 4ohm capable amp. To get this to work I will wire the coils of each sub in parallel,(giving each sub a 2ohm load) then wire the subs in series to the amp which will then see a 4ohm load. Hope that helps a little.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-30-2004, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

yeah for instance one amp im looking at runs has a setting to let you toggle between 8 and 4 ohms. the amp has 150 watts at 8 ohms and 275 at 4 ohms. My subs most likely will be rated much h igher than this, so how do I get the most power going to each sub? I think the subs are rated around 500 watts + at 8 ohms.
Thanks again
Matthew
post #5 of 5 Old 12-01-2004, 06:37 AM

Your talking now about power (watt) ratings. Just because your speaker is rated to handle 500 watts doesn't mean you have to get an amp that will give it 500 watts. When looking at power ratings, be sure to look at the RMS number and not the peak. RMS is the constant power the speaker can handle. If you buy the amp you are looking at, if you put it on the 4ohm setting and use it with a 4ohm sub, you will be getting the most power the amp can safely produce.
Closed Thread Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page