Stupid question on how to hook up LFE out to sub? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-30-2004, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I'll admit it... I've never ever had a subwoofer before. Now I'm building a full set of speakers for my HT and I'm including a sub with it. I received my amp and driver and I've decided on a box (probably sealed, unless someone says otherwise). And every amp I've seen doesn't have an LFE jack, only the L/R line in/out or speaker ins.

So, how do I connect from my receiver's LFE jack to my soon to be sub?

everything else I've figured out. Like, I know I could just run the mains through it, but I don't want to add any additional line noise (like I'd notice anyway ;) ). And heck, I've got this LFE jack but no idea how it plugs into an amp.

Thanks,

Gyv

P.S.- If anyone is interested I just completed my first pair of Dennis Murphy's MB20s and I'll probably start work on 3 more for my surrounds and CC. These are really enjoyable speakers. I did scrimp on my sub though. I bought the $29 50w amp from MCM and a $29 10" Dayton DVC subwoofer. A little speaker wire and some mdf and there ya have it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-01-2004, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 71
This is really more of a bass management issue.

I assume your AVR is Dolby Digital or DD/DTS. If you set all your speaks to small and the sub to on/yes, the AVR sub pre-out will send the LFE channel, and the redirected (i.e., below the xo in the AVR BM circuit) bass for each channel.

If you set the speaks to large and the sub to on/yes, then the sub pre-out only sends the LFE channel.

If you set the speaks to large and the sub to no/off, then the LFE channel gets redirected to the L/R fronts, and the sub pre-out sends nothing.

So figure out what you want to send the subwoofer, set the BM menu accordingly, and just connect the sub pre-out to the L or R low level connection on the sub amp.

If the sub amp has a low pass filter, set it to the highest frequency setting (or disable it if there is a switch) to avoid cascading it with the AVR LPF.

Then calibrate and balance all the speaks (including the sub) with an SPL meter and a disc like Avia. HTH.

Regards,

Ed

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Relations
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"

post #3 of 5 Old 12-01-2004, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, so it doesn't matter if I plug the LFE to either the R or L input on the amp. That's all I needed to know. It was a dumb question but like I said, I've never had a sub before so had no idea. I suspected it was this but really just wanted to make sure. All the rest I knew from cruising the forum, but nobody ever mentioned how to plug it in.

I don't have an SPL meter but I'll probably pick one up at RS when I'm out today. I have the Avia disc and Video Essentials so once this thing is built I shouldn't have any more problems. Nor will I need any more tools... 'gasp'. My garage doesn't look like Norm Abrams' (sp?), yet, but I'll get by. ;)

Thanks for the help Ed.

Gyv
post #4 of 5 Old 12-01-2004, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gyvven
Ok, so it doesn't matter if I plug the LFE to either the R or L input on the amp.
Either one will work, just try it!

Regards,
PolkThug
post #5 of 5 Old 12-01-2004, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Gyvven, there are no stupid questions if you really don't know. That is the beauty of this forum. People with more experience can help you with this wonderful hobby. So far, the advise given is great. Keep asking questions, that is how you can learn. Happy audioing, Dennis

Dr Doan, Gonstead Chiropractor
It's the NERVE!
Closed Thread Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page