Best Sub for Gallo Nucleus 5.1 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-01-2004, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have heard that Gallo works best with its own subwoofer... can I replace the sub with something like Velodyne SPL 12"? The gallo subs TR-1, TR-2, and MPS 150 all seem too small for my requirement (I've been told I need a 12" sub for my room size).

My room is 9x7 meters (around 30'x23'), listening area is 5x7 meters (around 17'x23'). I am a movie fan so heavy bass is surely required...

I'll also be using the NAD T-773 to work the system...

How does this set up sound?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-01-2004, 06:26 PM

Oh ya YOur goin to need a big sub, those gallos wont pull the weight, email SVS theyll gie you a suggestion, you might want to also consider two subs, man that is a big room.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-01-2004, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by edsullivan
Oh ya YOur goin to need a big sub, those gallos wont pull the weight, email SVS theyll gie you a suggestion, you might want to also consider two subs, man that is a big room.
er... SVS? where can I find their e-mail?

Um.. if you think the room is big, then will the Gallo's niclues micro or due speakers hold up to my requirement?

I don't want to invest in something that is not powerful enough for my room...
post #4 of 11 Old 12-01-2004, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RUnited

Um.. if you think the room is big, then will the Gallo's niclues micro or due speakers hold up to my requirement?

Sry. http://www.svsubwoofers.com/

sales-svs@svsubwoofers.com

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/contact.htm

If the gallos are enough really depends first on how much power your giving them (read REALLY givin them)? and how you like to listen? and of course room size which we know already
post #5 of 11 Old 12-01-2004, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RUnited

If the gallos are enough really depends first on how much power your giving them (read REALLY giving them)? and how you like to listen? and of course room size which we know already
post #6 of 11 Old 12-01-2004, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If the gallos are enough really depends first on how much power your giving them (read REALLY giving them)? and how you like to listen? and of course room size which we know already
Thank you for the info... I am quite new to this so I'm going to need a bit of help...

Well.. I'm more of a strong bass + clear center kind of person so I'm going to need to hear the human voices pretty clearly and loudly too...

The guy selling the Gallo's told me his speakers will hold up their end of the bargain as long as I have a good receiver!

now I wonder whether NAD T-773 is enough to drive the speakers... The receiver he is using is a high-end receiver that costs over US$2,000 - way beyond my budget...
post #7 of 11 Old 12-01-2004, 07:04 PM

well svs isnt the only company out there just one of the better liked.

Whats your budget

ACI subs www.audioc.com

HSU subs http://hsuresearch.com/

theres plent others.

What is the WPC of that NAD i dont know off hand.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-01-2004, 07:07 PM

I just looked at what these speakers are, All i can say is GOOD LUCK, with speakers that small, you could most definatly have problems in your great room, what are reasons for going with these
At least move up to the duo's.
What about Bookshelfs all around or something different, what are your asthetic and space concerns, also budget, if your willing t
o open up your options.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-02-2004, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
RUnited,

I have a full round of Gallos - three in the rear, two up front, and a Due as a center. I think you would like a Due as a center much more than a micro - but the micros do sound excellent when mated to the sub. I am using a Parts Express super dooper MTX special Sub that is over 6 years old now and I can crank my setup close to ref level - its way to loud for my ears that high anyaw but even so is clear and pronounced as can be. My sub is probably my weakest link now and amy likely next upgrade. I agree that the Gallo sub doesnt cut it - but the better more expensive Gallo subs may be good - I have not heard them though. Take a look at my gallery pics to see the Gallos maounted, etc. I am runing A Denon 2803 - not a massive high end receiver by any means but pushes hard and no complaints from me - only smiles! :) :)
post #10 of 11 Old 12-02-2004, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I just looked at what these speakers are, All i can say is GOOD LUCK, with speakers that small, you could most definatly have problems in your great room, what are reasons for going with these
At least move up to the duo's.
What about Bookshelfs all around or something different, what are your asthetic and space concerns, also budget, if your willing t
o open up your options.
Haha.. that's what I thought... but the dealer insisted that his Gallos will hold up their end of the bargain (the price for the set IS a bergain in my opinion) as long as my other parts match the speakers' quality..

My full limit budget is US$2,500 (not including receiver). I am choosing whether I should buy a good pair of speakers, or a medium-priced 5.1 system with sub included.

So far, choices include:

NHT 5.1 - ST4 as front, SB3 as rear, SC2 as center, and Velodyne as sub

B&W - 603 series as front speakers, a sub. No rear (no budget)

Gallos - Nucleus Micro 5.1 + strong subwoofer (still choosing which sub)

ProAc - Studio 125. an entry level speakers, but I heard they are good for the money.

Out of the 4, NHT is the most unproven and least recommended among the people I know.. I have listened to them and am also unsure. The sound is very clear and natural, but since I'm a movie buff, I think I need something more vibriant... I heard ProAc will do the job, but they are pricey and I can only afford cheaper ProAc speakers... not too sure it's a good idea..
post #11 of 11 Old 12-02-2004, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by pcrx
RUnited,

I have a full round of Gallos - three in the rear, two up front, and a Due as a center. I think you would like a Due as a center much more than a micro - but the micros do sound excellent when mated to the sub. I am using a Parts Express super dooper MTX special Sub that is over 6 years old now and I can crank my setup close to ref level - its way to loud for my ears that high anyaw but even so is clear and pronounced as can be. My sub is probably my weakest link now and amy likely next upgrade. I agree that the Gallo sub doesnt cut it - but the better more expensive Gallo subs may be good - I have not heard them though. Take a look at my gallery pics to see the Gallos maounted, etc. I am runing A Denon 2803 - not a massive high end receiver by any means but pushes hard and no complaints from me - only smiles! :) :)
How do I go to your gallery? I am quite new here and haven't really been through the whole website yet...

thank you for your input... how big is your room? Do you think they will work in my space? I am very sceptical about their sizes and so I'm reluctant to buy them not knowing for sure if they will do their jobs properly...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page