Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-02-2004, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
Scott Horton, techht.com

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Hi guys:

I'm still gathering up all my parts for my HT. I'm looking towards building a Tumult based PR sub in the spring, but for now I purchased a HGS18, used from a reasonably trusted source that from all physical appearances is in perfect condition. It may ultimately do me just fine - hope so, it's a finely built thing.

I need some help with 2 things:

1. The manual isn't clear on how to hook the sub up to a processer with a single sub-out port. I tried the left and right pre-in's which seem to work, but I read a setup article on audioholics that said I was supposed to use a Y adapter to feed both pre-in's on the sub for a 6db gain. Is the correct? What is the best way to hookup my HGS18 to my single sub out connection on my processor (B&K AVR507)?

2. It being used, I would like to verify the sub is functioning properly. My HT area is not done yet. Presently my "temp" setup is in my wide open basement that's about 1400-1600 ft2 with ~10' ceilings. I bet 14,000+ is a lot of cuic feet in sub terms. I do have a sound meter and have the jist of it's use. On some sample soundtracks (i.e. Blackhawk down Fing Irina scene) the sub just dosen't seem to much output, definately less than expected, even considering the large space. But I'm new to subs (my first) so I dont' have any experience on what's proper. It will be several weeks before the HT space is enclosed. I'm not so much worried about tuning the sub for performance right now as I am wanting to verify it is working properly. Is there a way I can do some simple tests to determine it's functioning properly, quick and cheap? FWIW, I have Avia, VE, and DVE DVD's. I tried Avia's sub setup tones, and the sub seems to do fine per my SPL at 70db. But I dont' know how to push it closer to it's max outputs and lower freq. limits (and check it). I've seen reviews with folks sitting outside testing subs, I can do that if needed to test the sub is functioning properly, just need to know what to do.

If it matters, I'm using a B&K AVR507 receiver and a Denon 3910 DVD.

Thanks very much as always for the time to help,
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-02-2004, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
1. Use a "Y" connector.

2. You have Avia and other setup DVSs. What is the problem?

I want a Masquerade.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-02-2004, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
Scott Horton, techht.com

> what is problem?

Well, I'm not getting any kind of jaw opening pant's flapping bass. That's OK, if it's due to my sub being almost sitting outside as far as space goes, but I'm wanting to determine if it's due to the space, or more specifically if the sub is functioning properly.

The calibration disc aren't oriented toward testing, they are for calibrating (or as I understand them anyway). I want some help/advise on how to do some performance testing I suppose?

Thanks,
Scott
post #4 of 8 Old 12-02-2004, 11:31 AM

Liked: 10
If you're not using a y-splitter, you can increase the sub out level on the receiver for the same effect.

Did you make sure to bump down the velo's subsonic filter to 15Hz instead of 35Hz? The sub 20Hz stuff is what makes f'n Irene cool.

Regards,
PolkThug
post #5 of 8 Old 12-02-2004, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
Scott Horton, techht.com

>Did you make sure to bump down the velo's subsonic filter to 15Hz instead of 35Hz? The sub 20Hz stuff is what makes f'n Irene cool.

I do have that switch on the back to the lower frequency.

Thanks,
Scott
post #6 of 8 Old 12-02-2004, 11:42 AM

In the temporary basement setup, were you able to put the sub in a good corner?

Also, what position is the sub's volume control on? ie 12 oclock, etc.

Thanks,
PT
post #7 of 8 Old 12-02-2004, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
Scott Horton, techht.com

>In the temporary basement setup, were you able to put the sub in a good corner?

Yes.

>Also, what position is the sub's volume control on? ie 12 oclock, etc.

Tried different places. Avia has it at about 9:30 to match the other speakers at 70db.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-02-2004, 01:14 PM

Ahh. You're under utilizing it (IMO). I think most people run their home theater subs a few db's hot compared to the other channels. Hence, all the 'it shook the pictures of the wall' claims. The velo's have good protection features, so don't be afraid to turn the sub volume up a little more.

Since it sounds like you are testing just to make sure it works right, crank it up a little.

Regards,
PolkThug
Closed Thread Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page