Theater setup: I seem to enjoy my wierd subwoofer setup more! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-02-2004, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
IN my main theater, I have my subwoofer actually set going to the PRE-OUT L/R jacks. Normally most people put their subwoofer with a single wire to the PRE-OUT marked, Subwoofer. I've noticed that when I do this, the bass is not the same. In key parts the LFE picks up and makes the subwoofer slam, but overall listening to any musical parts in movies allowing my subwoofer in my meathod makes the subwoofer constantly work because it appears to be using its own crossover to some raw signal rather then a dedicated track.

In short, having my subwoofer connected withthe normal LFE meathod is not producing the same amount of constant bass that it does when its connected to the PREOUT L/R outputs that arn't dedicated to the subwoofer.

Anyone have a clue what i'm talking about, and have tried this setup, or know suggest one way or another.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-02-2004, 07:34 PM
PAW
AVS Special Member

What's your receiver or pre-amp? What I think is happening is that your subwoofer out has crossover circuitry that cutting off the signal sent to the jack. Usually around 80 Hz. The Pre-out L/R, I assume you are Y-ing them together, is sending a full spectrum signal to the sub. So the sub is producing, or trying to produce, higher frequencies.

Aubrey
post #3 of 11 Old 12-02-2004, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
You will only get low frequencies from those line outs if your front speakers are set to "LARGE", which they shouldn't be in almost any case.
post #4 of 11 Old 12-03-2004, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by rynberg
You will only get low frequencies from those line outs if your front speakers are set to "LARGE", which they shouldn't be in almost any case.

Hello,

I actually have all my speakers set to small, except my fronts. My fronts are extremely huge infinity studio monitors with 15" woofers. I've been told since my speakers are so dynamic that it should be set to large, maybe this is wrong? As for the amp itself its a Marantz SR 4200, soon to be SR 5500. No i'm not using any Y connector, i'm using a full set of stereo rca's. My PRE-OUT area has ports for center, subwoofer, surround, and then L/R which I guess it the fronts. So if i'm not mistaken i'm sending my subwoofer at this point the fully sputrum from the fronts. Honestly I think it sounds great. But what your saying is I'd get more bass from my sub if I put my fronts to small, and connected it the more traditional way with the single sub out?

Thanks
post #5 of 11 Old 12-04-2004, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

With such large front speakers, I don't know how much more bass your subwoofer could produce. Try this to test the sub LFE output. Turn off the A speakers and turn on the B speaker output (assuming your reciever can do this), then put receiver in stereo mode. This will direct output to your B speakers, which you don't have but the LFE will still be routed to the sub and depending upon material being played you should hear output from only the sub. At least I can do this with my Denon 2803.

Tom
post #6 of 11 Old 12-04-2004, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by stonepran
Hello,

I actually have all my speakers set to small, except my fronts. My fronts are extremely huge infinity studio monitors with 15" woofers. I've been told since my speakers are so dynamic that it should be set to large, maybe this is wrong?
Well, that's my post stated in ALMOST any case! Anyway, depending on the design of those speakers (15" woofers doesn't necessarily equal good response to below 30 Hz), they most certainly could (and do?) function well set to LARGE.

The thing you have to understand is by feeding the subwoofer the L/R pre-outs instead of the LFE out, is that you are DOUBLING the bass signal going to your fronts. If this sounds better to you, don't change it.

FWIW, your setup isn't "weird". Many receivers/pre-pros have a setup option to double the L/R bass (when set to LARGE) to the subwoofer through the LFE output.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-04-2004, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the response. I'm glad to know my thinking isn't too weird, and I will admit I love alot of bass , perhaps more then many. I don't ever like to kill any highs or mids by excessive bass, although I've found with some testing that by putting my subwoofer to the normal LFE out, vrs L/R pre-out fronts, I just don't get the same amount of bass. perhaps one reason is because the front channels are more actively aggressive then the LFE channel, where we just get the random huge thump from a soundtrack? My only concern is am I missing out any additional sounds that only get sent to the LFE channel, by doing the L/R preout setup.

Here is a picture of my speakers in the even many are wondering :)

http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pic...onepra/SP1.JPG

I do love these speakers, Extremely efficient 102db per watt, can handle up to 300 watts rms, and go down to 28hz. They produce sound that I couldn't find in even 1-2k speakers.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-05-2004, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I hope that dental floss on the floor isn't your speaker wire.
No smaller than 12guage is highly recommended.

peace
post #9 of 11 Old 12-05-2004, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SIMJEDI

peace
Depends on the length from the receiver to the speaker. I use 14ga, 10ft runs.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-06-2004, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by SIMJEDI

peace
LOL, no.. I have 12 ga going to the mains. That wire you see was just while I was testing out a center channel.

:D
post #11 of 11 Old 12-06-2004, 07:43 AM

You also need to set the reciever to no subwoofer if you connect the subwoofer to the L/R preamp outs. If you don't you probably aren't getting the sounds from the .1 channel.
Closed Thread Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page